New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Empire! 6 — Tales of Reminiscence and Her Voyages

Spoiler: The Ship
    Show
    Reminiscence is a ship of grand proportions, one of the most impressive in all the Isles. The first true Treasure Ship, its hull is sewn from planks hewn from the great trees found in one of the smaller isles south of Avicennia, and reinforced with metal brackets, girding, and other components worked and engraved by Master Smith Visulu in the Ocean Forge. Its surface displays a glorious Somtvinno, a Styinn mural first started by the legendary Londkannuaur, as a story of the wonderful times the heroes of Daezirn spent together during their voyage, dancing and singing and telling stories of their home isles. The many stories that have joined that first tale, intricately etched into the wood in Styinn script, together create a magical presence, an ambiance of camaraderie that permeates the ship and is felt by all who sail on it.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This shall be a continuous event thread, for events, fluff and mechanical, taking place aboard Reminiscence and wherever it docks, in this and all future rounds. I'm hoping to have a new destination each round; feel free to PM me if you'd like Reminiscence to sail to your city!

As news of the glorious recovery of Avicennia spreads around the Isles, Reminiscence also sails between the young kingdoms which call it home, spreading news of the new city of Pacha Verne, built in the great mangroves just off the northern beach of Acantha. When it arrives back west in Pacha Verne, alongside the specially constructed pier, it carries a diverse group of travelers from all over, who accepted the Bozul crew's offer of passage back to the city aboard the legendary ship. Those disembarking step out onto an elegant wooden walkway which stretches before them up to the plaza among the sweeping branches of the elder mangroves, between hanging moss-covered vines, which bring dazzling light and color to the scene.
    Thanks to Gengy for the custom avatar! (Based on art by Steve Ellis, with WotC)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Empire! 6 — Tales of Reminiscence and Her Voyages

Fur primped, combed, moistened, and misted to perfection, the residents of Pacha Verne are to a one puffed out with pride (and perhaps a little greed) to welcome the Reminiscence and her passengers to the Shining City. The plaza that serves as center and entrance to the city has been cleaned and set out with tables, trained moas, and displays of small trinkets and treasures collected from other regions. Displays of the local art are also common - tapestries and carpets woven to show off dazzling colors that in turn highlight intricate stitches and patterns, carved bones inset with seeds of moss to grow into ever-changing figurines. The art is arranged in a crescent at the back of the plaza, with larger pieces displayed a short space away in another crescent of displays. In the middle of the plaza are tables and stools cut from tree trunks and branches. The tables are filled with smooth wooden platters of food perfectly sized for eating without extra implements, and clay pots are at the center of each table on a large tray of their, a small hint of steam coming from each one, and surrounded on the tray by small sachets of dried herbs. Carved wooden cups sit stacked and upside down next to the pot.

Tana Brightshine sits at the central table with her four Gleams - Los of Angio, Arik of Abia, Coln of Arsio, and Sios of Aegica. Anya, the Avicennian trader who attended the meet at Glaondi Yejon, sits with them as well. Together they await the arrivals of their visitors, and the much-awaited return of Amka.

Spoiler: Descriptions
    Show

Tana Brightshine - a young (24 yo) female with startling black fur. Purple moss has been woven in an almost lightning pattern across her body, merging with the blue, green, red, and yellow of the Glow islands at the ends of her limbs, with each paw dedicated to a single color's jagged pattern.

Los - A large, middle aged, gray-green furred male who has mastered changing the concentrations of moss to command it to grow in specific shades of blue, creating a dazzling striped spiral pattern of blues darkening as they reach his torso. Los has held the title of Gleam of Angio for 3 years

Arik - A surprisingly old female with fur almost pure white from age, but browning at the nose and extremities. Though her movements are stiffer than one would expect from one who won title of Gleam, every action is mesmerizing and it's said that the crowd was moved so emotionally from the story of her dance that none others could compare. She displays every color of the isles in a woven chain pattern wrapping from her left foot to her right shoulder, and maintains long fur over her claws to cultivate a rainbow of color over them.

Coln - A young male who seems to be extra attentive to ensuring Tana's cup never empties. His fur is pinto, patches of brown and tan to white, and he has grown sunbursts of color that spiral and twist around each other.

Sios - A young female seemingly younger than either Tana or Coln, who is distinctively smaller than other Avicennian females. Her fur is a rich chestnut brown and seems to favor geometric patterns of alternating colors. She seems attentive to Tana as well, though her attention doesn't stray far from Anya either.

Anya - A slightly older, but still young, female with lush silver fur that has grown out since the Commandments at Glaondi Yejon and shines with overlapping circles of purple, blue, and green

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Steady-Hand leans across the prow of the Reminiscence as it comes into harbour, enjoying the sea breeze against her fur, breathing deeply of air that smells like salt instead of blood. It's a good smell. Any smell that's not the distinctive smell of battle is a good smell.

As the city comes into view, she idly lets her gaze wander across it. The sight is impressive, and she allows herself a few moments of joy and awe, along with a brief moment of jealousy at the beauty of the fur of the Avicennians, and wishing that she could also have such pretty patterns dancing across her body.

She does not worry that to glow would mean to lose the element of surprise in a surprise attack conducted in the dead of night. She certainly does not trouble herself with the thought that it would itch under her fine bronze armor, and that the distraction might be the difference between a weapon harmlessly dodged and a spear in her belly or her eye. She does not concern herself with the Dreamspeaker who travels with her, who keeps her at the beck and call of Thun, and who at any time could tell her that is time to go home, and to prepare for war.

She does not cry, because she is not thinking about those things. She does not cry, because a warrior and a warleader has no time for tears. She does not cry because she is Scrim, by right if not by nature, and stone has no patience for the weeping of the living.

Here, alone, at the prow of the boat, with as much privacy as she ever has these days, she lets a few tears fall into the ocean, before rubbing vigorously at her eyes and turning to go and face the city, money-pouch tied to a rope around her waist, ready to vanish into the crowd.
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Spoiler: STUFFS
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Interim View Post
    Yes... continue ignoring me... exactly as planned
    Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    'Kay! Ignoring a ninja never hurt anyone.

Being terrible at being a wolf since always.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

She doesn't know which is more infuriating, the not-so-subtle hidden tears of her Scrimthun companion on board or the fact that Amka herself feels aught but cold foreboding at the sight of her homeland, almost unrecognizable to her with that, that thing. The manipulated, lush creation of a city that the Reminiscence is set to dock at. Her own fur should be happy to come home though. The trials and toils of battle has left it lank and matted despite her best (yet increasingly half-hearted) efforts. The glow has dimmed and darkened and strands curl at the ends, no longer forming distinct artistic patterns but smooth, merging patches of dim color. Perhaps a trip home will restore her.

(Does she want to be restored?)

No doubt there will be food, and drink. She has not seen her...companions in so long, and the years weigh heavily on her. The smell of greenery that is blown to the ship from shore is less fulfilling than the smell of the everlasting sea.

Perhaps a homecoming will be good. A chance to re-center herself, quench her wanderlust with the simple pleasures and security of a house.

Perhaps.

Perhaps.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

When the Skota-Guild fled Glaondi Yejon they set sail on ships, boats, rafts, and anything else capable of floating. With them followed many minor guilds and other hangers-on, tired of the Sagu’s rule. During the ensuing chaos families got splintered and children lost in the crowds.
    Koupmadur of the oft forgotten Vyrslun-guild found himself boarding the most magnificent ship in harbour, Styinn flowing along its hull and Bozul’s buzzing him aboard with other emigrants. During Reminiscence’s journeys over the coming years the other Ugglos gradually set foot on land again, finding new homes for themselves.

However, remembering the tales from his grandmother Oudugur about the times when the Smiaurskotor still valued commerce and filled their hulls brimmed with goods Koupmadur finds himself ensnared in the daily routines of the ship. Bumbling his way through the Bozul language he begins helping with the stowing of supplies. Lacking wings his physical efforts are minor but his ability to rearrange things and seemingly jam more goods in where there was no space soon becomes appreciated.

One day years later the young adult sees a shimmer in the sky while unloading an urn of food, curios he climbs atop the container, to better see over the railing with his near four feet of height. The sight before him is a city unlike any other, glowing in a multitude of colours with people milling about, seemingly untouched by plague. Immediately his mind fills with the opportunities for trade, duties momentarily forgotten.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The Grand Opening - Unblighted Table

Vinolygur sat in the sunset, the last daylight filtering in through the geodesic skylight. After Izel’s inauguration he had contemplated many things, perhaps for too long. Madness still permeated the isles and despite bright dreams he was still unable to do anything about it.
    So he sat on a wooden bench, alone around the large table, soft buzzing and hurried footsteps barely audible from the kitchens around him, as they prepared a grand opening in the main room. While many would come to the underground hive for a beginning he was seeking an ending. An end to the blight cults, to the shattered guilds, to his failure.

He hoped the solution would be reached when the seats were full, Eleuia had spoken wisely and not to deaf ears. Invitations had been sent to the steadfast Scrim, to the Children of the Great Mother, to Matji Bulandi and those empowered by the Sentinels, and everyone inbetween. Should someone stumble in from the nearby feast he would welcome them too, if their convictions aligned. For he could not do this alone. The Blight was weed more sturdy than any and it had grown rampant in the Daezirn Ilses for too long.

Soon Reminiscence would arrive with guests from the northern oceans to enjoy the food, a few aboard there primarily for the grimmer discussions to be held in back rooms instead. With any luck the those on long voyages from the south would make land in a timely manner too. But not yet. Vinolygur sunk into deep thoughts again, his eyes only closed for some of the time.

Spoiler: OOC-Notes
    Show

General mingling and tasty foods coming soon in the main room!
    (At Xanxost's discretion)

Please mark your posts with [Grand Opening] or something similarly clear, since this is intended as an ongoing thread.

Exposition! (TM) will be served roughly 70 hours from the time of this post. Do try to make an introduction before then, but no worries if you have not.

7. - Top - End - #7

The Grand Opening- Scrim Delegation

The Scrim response to the invitation from Vinolygur had been curt to the point of rudeness. Still, that was the Scrim for you; when dealing with those they think their lessers, they care little for courtesy.

The point is demonstrated well as a single Scrim approaches and takes their seat at the table, a solid sandstone slab sent ahead by the Scrim for the purpose of seating, without so much as an introduction. The suevite Scrim glowers wordlessly at the Ugglo leader- at least, they seem to, it can be so hard to tell without clearly directed eyes. The effect is intensified by the carvings on their face, spirals curving in to two central points in a loop that almost seems to bring vertigo when looked at.

When they speak, their voice is almost as terrible, pervaded by a hollow note, reedy and rasping in a manner contrasting sharply with the usually deep, sonorous voices of the Scrim. "So, you cannot manage your affairs alone. Unfortunate, but not unexpected. I told them as much when they broke your backs at Glaondi Yejon. Your people have never been the same since then, have they? So scattered, so divided." The staring does not cease, the anonymous and rude Scrim simply sitting there and eyeing the Ugglo leader.
    Last edited by Silent_Interim; 2021-08-15 at 01:16 AM.
    I go by them/they/their pronouns, but I'm comfortable with he/him/his or she/her/hers.

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The Grand Opening - Rocky negotiations
    Vinolygur flinches at the scrim’s unpleasant voice. Knowing that they are ancient he is still surprised by their lack of wisdom. Accepting that there will be no grand entrance to introduce a representative of Lejah’s calibre he sighs.

“No one of us seems to be able to these days. I prefer to acknowledge as much rather than letting thousands be slain by ignorance. Your efforts to root out insanity here in the Isles have been most valiant. I however seek to safeguard the weak, those scattered, those too divided to fend for themselves. That much I can do, even if some debts might need to be repaid. As to the breaking of backs it is why we are gathered around this table, for that I cannot do alone.”
    Last edited by Torv; 2021-08-16 at 01:27 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

A few seconds pass in silence, then the Scrim throws back their head and lets out a wheezing, croaky laugh. Given that the Scrim approximation of laughter usually sounds more like a mini-avalanche than human laughter the effect is mildly uncanny.

"Good, good! Perhaps you are not entirely worthless. You know your limitations, and you accept them, rather than rail against them. This is worthy of respect. I am not an expert in protecting the weak, but rather in raising up the strong. Such is the Scrim way, for better or worse.

"I apologize for my rudeness, but it was necessary, to take your measure. I have heard a great deal about you from Lejah. They are sorry they could not be in attendance, as they have been asked to return to Thun for some time. I am managing their affairs in their absence. You, it seems, are among those affairs. Lejah spoke highly of you, but I find their judgment... suspect, in more recent years. Did you know that they are among some of the oldest Scrim still walking the face of Ember? I wonder if the Thunspeaker is wise to trust them. But in this matter, it seems that their judgment is sound.

"So, Vinolygur. What debt would you owe the Sunset Courts today?"

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The Grand Opening - Debts and Old Favours

Why do other beings need to be so loud? Despite his long life Vinolygur had never understood this. Trying to be stoic he endured the Scrim’s barrage of noise, a smile plastered on his face.

“Your apology is not needed. I would much rather talk with someone speaking their mind instead of uttering veiled pleasantries. Lejah did excel at the latter, but it has no place in a time of need.”

What I owe the Sunset Courts is information, kept hidden by young and old alike. There is a being originating from Mamut, enthralling both stone and chisel by the sheer density of his power. The Hroytslo Cult have nested themselves in Slotrun Yejor, slaughtering hundreds to summon the living Corpseflower. What foul truths you may find there while weeding them out I do not know.
    Then there is Nofnlousmythvitodurkarndrypiskip, you would know her as the beast of Varai-Lades or the Thorned Knight. She stalks the Isles spreading death wherever she goes, only growing in power. Yet she still slips through Gloandi Yejon, the Smiajor-guild scaring their apprentices with tales of how she sits at the edge of the Oceanforge when no one watches. I suspect some living part of her still misses her sister, but her confirmed visits have become sparser during recent years.

Then there is the matter of what has not been provided. The ocean only become more unruly in Daezirn, the waters taking on the colours of madness and blood. I do not think it will be safe for the weak to stay here. We are most gracious for the shores of Varai-Lades but they are not large enough for all of the shattered guilds to call home.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

The Grand Opening - Blighted Table

The skylight above shatters. Shards rains down on the table along with the solid impact of bones breaking on hardwood. One body lies lifeless while the other screams in deafening pain. Both have shallow scars spelling stories in Styinn around their limbs, marking them as members of the mad Hroythslo cult. Clutching scrolls of gray parchment even in death the screaming stops for a second. Only to continue anew a mad rambling repeated until the fanatic is finally silenced.
    “YOU ARE WRONG BALVODUR IS RIGHT.”

Dumbfounded Vinolygur picks up one of the scrolls, mostly unscathed by the deadly rain from above. Reading it in silence he looks up after only a moment, handing over the parchment to a nearby Truthseer. Looking around the table in contemplation and seeing that most of the projectiles and all the ensuing deaths seems to have collected themselves on the table, not the benches he speaks in a shaky voice.
    “It seems we have more to discuss than I thought, if maniacs are to be believed.”

The Scrolls – Handed out and translated by Truthseers where necessary
    The mother of Blight is not Evil. It is the Sister of the World Soul.
    The Oppressor dragged her here, imprisoning both souls in one body.
    Scared the sisters started dreaming of terrible creatures.
    The Tyrant seized the opportunity, latching his will onto the dream.
    Commanding it to do his bidding.
    The Blight is not Evil, the Puppeteer is.
    When the Sentinels slay the innocent nightmares they pain the World Souls.
    The Emperor feeding on the ensuing blood.
    The Standing Stones impales both Souls, keeping the Sorcerer ever fed.
    Destroying the Sentinels heals the Sisters, releasing them both.
    The Blight is not Evil, it needs our help to escape the Warden’s chains.
    Last edited by Torv; 2021-08-17 at 03:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

The Scrim leans in and picks up one of the scrolls from among the wreckage atop the table. Idly, they press a stony hand down on the throat of the rambling fanatic, until their struggling stops, and then for a little longer for good measure. They unwind the scroll and read through it, before tossing the scroll carelessly aside.

"And why should we believe this unsubstantiated rambling? 'Innocent' nightmares indeed. Surely, a jest. I have seen firsthand the suffering their precious innocents wreak. If this is what the so-called sister of the world soul does asleep, I cannot imagine she would inflict anything but horrors beyond imagining in waking. But even if this is all truth... why should I care? They refer to a warden, but this is not Tarandi; there are no laws against slavery in Thun, and I see no reason that we should care about the enslavement of even one so vast when the Sentinels seem quite willing to account for the consequences of that imprisonment. I care about the survival of the Sunset Courts. That is, and always will be, my primary goal."

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Grand Opening (Of The Feastening)

Aqua, Ale, and Zora were having a pretty good time, all things considered.

Zora, glad in humble ordinary garb, thick and leathery like one would expect of a common solder, and not the Original Queen Of The Hydran Empire, quietly observed the negotiations and arguments diplomatically with some fascination. She did not interfere, but instead took notes. No dolod to take them for her this time, though, so back to her well refined writing.

Ale was negotiating with some random other onlookers to see where all the foods originated and their processing procedures. She was on a mission to get into the upper crust of society, and hadn't yet even noticed the other Night Elves aboard. Her endeavors were going well, she'd set up a minor business, but used this as a way to get back to Sikar Ports. Especially because she'd abandoned her original fleet for a... more underground business, and needed to stay out of their purview.

Aqua was stuffing her face full of everything she could find, ravaging it messily like an animal. She licked her lips and looked dainty and polite, clad in priestess robes, pristine with bonewoven claws on her fingertips and inside her mouth. When not eating, she looked like a thing of grace, sans the mess on the front of her cloth. With glowing blue eyes that, despite the face veil she kept them behind, shone bright enough to light the room.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Grand Opening - The Workers

The restaurant complex is filled with a faint buzzing sound, one that is warm and calm and soothing. Even though the towering walls of smooth worked stone and glass are already erected, Bozuls continue to fly about, inspecting every inch of the surface and re-applying wax to ensure it is, at any given moment, the most brilliant and beautiful structure that it could be, for the pleasure of the unprecedented number of guests dining in the Hive. Others fly between tables and in and out of the many side rooms, in complex weaving paths that dizzy guests if they attempt to follow them with their eyes, carrying carved wooden plates heaped with selections of the numerous dishes Bozuls and Tilroun Galtur alike had been perfecting for the past several years. As they flew, the buzzed happily and warmly, singing with their wings a tune almost like the Bozul song of Friendship which has been heard so many times aboard Reminiscence, but slowed many times over to create only a subtle ambience in the chamber.

The sounds of buzzing are joined by crackling, as the grand furnaces in the room burn their coal and radiate warmth. The massive room is thus a comfortable temperature for the guests, much cozier than the windy, tundra they traveled through to get there. The snow has begun to melt outside all over the surrounding hills and valleys between them, but the clearest ground is around the skylight, the geodesic glass partial dome protruding from the ground above the restaurant, heated from the bottom by the hospitable atmosphere inside. This allows the sun to shine through the glass as intended, illuminating the entire hall, its intricately carved stone walls and columns, and each of the guests and worker Bozuls buzzing about inside. The most central space is perhaps a bit uncomfortable for some of the Tilroun present, as well others less accustomed to the daylight, due to the magnificent brilliance.

When the skylight is broken, some of the buzzing suddenly becomes less calm. A handful of frustrated-sounding Bozuls approach, cleaning up shards of broken glass, and buzzing refrains from historical Bozul declarations of war. Their gestures are incredibly fast and violent, showing their anger with this disruption. Within moments, though, the glass is cleaned up, the frustrated workers calmed slightly, and repairs commenced on the skylight. Bozuls brought in spare glass panes and worked as quietly as they could to restore the central feature. Another fleet of Bozuls emerge from the side rooms, carrying many plates and bowls heaped with food, as an apology to their guests for the disruption. The main dish here is an especially delicate fillet of arctic char, cooked in melted wax, and topped with a thin sauce made from honey, lightly caramelized and with inclusions of crushed seeds from the giant wildflowers of Ogrontir, which impart a slightly nutty taste and texture. At its side is a spread of a white foam, a substance almost like the foam of the sea that sometimes finds itself swirling in whirlpools among rocky outcroppings by the shore, but with a rich, warm, and savory-sweet flavor of magic beans mixed with honey-crystal. The foam rests atop the upward hexagonal face of a small block of what appears as water, brought into solid form by a mixture of shark collagen and an especially gummy red seaweed which is found on rocks in the sea, and in tiny little bits throughout each gelatinous prism. In the third corner of the round plate is a small salad, a mixture of different young greens found sprouting out of the snow during the first weeks of the Thaw, tossed in a light dressing made from fermented mango-honey from some of the Hive older storage cells.
    Thanks to Gengy for the custom avatar! (Based on art by Steve Ellis, with WotC)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Dissecting some of the food placed before him Vinolygur takes a moment to think. At least it looks pretty, he can appreciate the effort put into that. Like most foods it tastes . . . nothing really. He chews some more, picking up one piece of the art at a time, careful not to ruin the only pleasure it brings him. Swallowing he responds to the Scrims ignorance.

“I have found that these vast beings are often closer than we think, influencing everything around us. But the imprisonment of one matter little when it is proclaimed by maniacs. It is feasible it could be responsible for the Blight and that we might even be feeding into it. The Daezirn Isles are however cursed with more direct threats. Living, tangible ones. When the options are to trust in fanatics or solve a certainty I find the choice easy.
    For the Sunset Courts to prosper I suggest that those willing of the Smiaurskotor will be offered a safe shore and that those too insane to accept be crushed. Physical threats and prosperous dreams outweighs imagined disaster and material ruination.”