New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default High Level Epic 5E [IC]

OOC Thread

You're in Punk's Paradise-a rundown bar, located in the slums of the city you're in. It's a rough place-but you're tough enough that no one's been bothering you. Still, you aren't fully safe-you never are, anymore. Sleep won't come easy-but sleep can wait. You've matters to address.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-06-15 at 10:37 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: High Level Epic 5E [IC]

Redlodge, lawyer; Sinthea, brothel owner; Qhadam, weapons; Gralkhan, arcane lore; Muun, thief-sneak; many more... All friends. All dead. All my fault. Their eyes are judgment, their names hellfire. Mortals die on me always. Grown accustomed, but not to this... Starved, bled, or stoned to death. Excess... to revenge against me.

In disguise; old human man.

Eugenia: called us, look for her. Met her once. Zealot. Change of heart? Maybe. Could be trap.
    Hagard: Good, tough, trustworthy... also dangerous. Owe him.
    Garrik: Worked with him. Righteous. Most trustworthy. Don't reveal self until he shows.

Spoiler: Stealth check, for disguise
    Show
    (1d20+17)[24]

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I'm being a little experimental with Moskra's prose. If you find it annoying or hard to understand, let me know and I'll tone it down.
    Spoiler: Moskra Rhadan
    Show

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1638...ew?usp=sharing

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Spoiler: Bad Guys Win Campaign Links
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eugenia

She had left a note that the old gnome woman would be wearing a red hat, and had a matter of great urgency to discuss on the evening of the 14th. She wasn't even sure if the note had been delivered, or believed, let alone acted on. But now, perhaps more than ever, it was important to act with faith.

She touched the filthy red hat on her head, and resisted the urge to touch the nose. Never touch the prosthetics. How did gnomes manage to drink anything? Eugenia was still only halfway through her wine. Which was probably all to the good. The wine was terrible, and she needed a clear head tonight. Maybe she'd overdone the nose.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Eugenia currently looks like a fat old gnome woman. Deception for disguise: [roll]1d20+11z[/roll]

The more I think about the dynamic of these four, the more I like the idea of Eugenia as the naive, the emotional, the happy, to act as a foil for the others.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Those sitting closer to the entrance could hear and feel the boots thumping on the porch before they saw him. Garrik was not small by any stretch of the imagination. He ducked his head slightly as he entered the tavern. The barkeep started to give a resounding greeting when he saw Garrik, "Well hello..." but a subtle, almost imperceptible shake of the dragonborn's head cut him off. The barkeep transitioned smoothly to a generic greeting, "...good sir, have a seat where ever you like and what can I get for you?". The keeps eyes cut over slightly indicating where Eugenia was sitting though Garrik had already spotted the unfamiliar patron in the tavern.

Most of the patrons that knew him also knew that since the barkeep hadn't called his name they in turn did not. These people were very protective of their protector and the irony was not lost on the dragonborn. He made his way through the small tavern, looking almost like some bum off the streets dressed in pieces of cloaks patched together to cover his bulk and something else? Glimpses of an odd black armor could be seen if one watched close enough.

As he approached the table where Eugenia sat he stopped and looked down at the gnome. The deep rumble of his voice cut through the din of the crowd, "Curiosity has been known to kill many the cat, but your note spoke to something in me. May I sit with you?"
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2021-06-16 at 06:28 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Gnome, Red hat, Eugenia then. Disguise amateur, but passable. Public place, disguises do so much. They'll know we're here. Not now, then later. Garrik, minor disguise. Thinks not having his name shouted conceals his presence. His territory, maybe it's fine. Make contact.

An old man stumbles against Garrik and mutters something.

Codeword. If Garrik, he'll recognize it. If not; kill him, run.
    Show

Designed using Fantasy RPG Creator on meiker.io, software designed by aklarkwood.com.

Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Garrik catches the old man and squeezes his shoulder twice to show recognition. Standing him back upright and waiting patiently for an invitation to sit.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2021-06-16 at 01:05 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

7. - Top - End - #7

RedWizardGuy

Garrik. Safe unless under mind control or imposter with memories. Stay ready. Hide identity from Eugenia

The old man turns to Eugenia. "Ol' Moskra Rhadan sen' me up here. Are you Eugenia?"

Spoiler: Deception check
    Show
    (1d20+16)[32] Have proficiency, so Reliable Talent applies: if I roll less than 10, then I can treat it as a 10.
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hagard "Red Blade" Enorien
    Rogue 13 / Fighter 4 | AC 22 | HP 143/143 | PP 18 / PIns 12 / PInv 23

Hagard crumpled the note in his palm and tossed it away in disgust, not at her intention but the sheer size of the task before him. She was right of course, there was more to this than one mortal could accomplish. But the vengeance he sought would be his and his alone.
    He steps into the small tavern, eyes adjusting instantly to the shuttered windows keeping out the dusty sneeze of an afternoon gust. Garrik's bulky form is instantly recognizable even after all these years. He still looked strong. Good. Hagard strides to the barand orders a pair of dark ales which he picks up and pays for in a single movement, the coins silently replacing the mugs on the counter. An absence of caution in his gait, he heads toward Garrik with a long sigh pulling a chair up on the wall side of the table and sitting down unannounced.

The wood elf is dressed in traveling garb, a satchel slung across his back over a silvered shield. His hands and arms are completely covered in winding tattoos. A viciously jagged scimitar hangs at his waist. One of the ales slides toward Garrik and receives a clink from his mug before he takes a swig, eyeing the redcap while he drinks. "You look well," he says to Garrik.
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2021-06-16 at 01:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eugenia

The old man and the dragonborn circle near. Two, at least, have responded to her inquiry, then. Eugenia smiles and gestures to two of the three vacant seats at the table.

There was no point in trying to disguise her nerves. She has trouble looking at either of the towering men, so contents herself with staring into her glass until both are seated.

"Are we...expecting anyone else?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nodding his thanks for the ale Garrik smiles at his old friends, ”I was until they found me again.” His nod indicating the gnome sitting across from them.

To Eugenia he says, ”You tell me, little bit, are a we expecting anyone else?”
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2021-06-16 at 01:15 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eugenia

Eugenia nodded. Ah. Then it seemed that the three men hadn't conferred before coming here. Or, at least, that Garrik hadn't.

"Quite. I sent three invitations. I had hoped for another of the eldest...let's give him a little time, yes?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While Garrik may not recognize his friend in his disguise he was more than familiar with the tactics. Eugenia's use of the term eldest could only mean one other person. Garrik hid his relief that Moskra was still alive and up to his old ways. ”No need to wait, he is likely closer than you suspect.”
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2021-06-17 at 08:54 AM.
    I like the globe warm...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I'm always expecting someone... these days moreso. People don't change. 'The times' rarely do either. That truth is why we're here."

His eyes follow Garrik's at the insinuation, studying the elderly gentleman carefully for the slightest flaw. Every wrinkle, every age spot, every arthritic movement was perfect if this was really him. Disguise is what got me last time too...

"The elderly move more slowly, give him time," he adds with a wry smile

Show
    Perception vs Moskra's disguise.
    (1d20+8)[23]
    Last edited by miinstrel; 2021-06-17 at 11:52 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eugenia

Nodding a simple acceptance of the facts as presented, Eugenia glances between Hagard and Garrik.

"Ah. Right. I was planning to take you out behind the stable to chat in private. The ostler's very kindly agreed to keep watch."

She slides down off of her seat. Her hand hovers near her half-full glass of wine, but she draws back.

"I think that this will be of interest."

Nodding again, she makes her way slowly and carefully to the door, hoping that the men will follow.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Hagard. Disguises still fool him. Charade wearing thin. Throw them bones.

"Moskra ain' gonna show his face, but Ai'm his eyes an' ears, see?"

The group sees hints of Moskra in the old man's eyes. They flicker from soft brown to black elvish voids.

He follows Eugenia to the door.
    Last edited by Leostales; 2021-06-17 at 11:58 PM.
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sighing audibly Garrik slides his chair back and grabs his ale, glancing at the barkeep who nods his approval to take it with him. He knows Garrik is good for it. He turns and follows the little gnome outside.

Smiling inwardly, his suspicions confirmed he knows now his old friends are back with him. This may be interesting after all.
    I like the globe warm...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Behind the stable's where rabid dogs are killed too...

Hagard follows suit, bringing up the rear. As they round the back side of the stable he pauses a moment to watch the back door of the tavern for followers. A foolish precaution perhaps given the capabilities of those they opposed, but it comforted him to see the door remain shut.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Once the four are gathered behind the barn, the small gnome woman settles heavily on a small pile of firewood, and leans forward with her story.

"You all likely know Mount Iramel, about forty miles east of here? Sparse villages, home to a friendly enclave of stone giants. Lovely folk, once you get to know them. Normally."

She paused, closing her eyes for a moment to compose herself.

"I was up in that region two weeks ago, and my first stop, the village of Brindalorn, more than eighty souls, was smashed flat. No signs of people, buildings wrecked down to their foundations, animals either missing, half-eaten or buried in the rubble. The next village over, Wellspring, I heard reports they'd seen the giants walking on the night that Brindalorn got smashed up, and heard from a woman that got away that there had been big boulders and then lots of screaming.

*So I went to find the Stone Giant chief. Big fellow, Byron Son of Bloodstone. Great laugher. Only when I got close to the clanhome, a couple of angry young stone giants turned me away, said he wasn't seeing any of the 'lying littlefolk' any more.

"Well, that didn't sound like the end of a story, so I get out of the mountains quick, and I report back here to the Church, to Right Cudgel Fredericks. I expect him to hear the news and marshall a militia double-time - there's got to be three, four hundred souls up on that mountain or thereabouts, and they're all in great danger. But Fredericks, he just nods and thanks me and tells me that he'll send scouts to check it out. And then, well, then I got a bit upset and may have said a few things that now of course I deeply regret.

"But the point is, I don't think he's actually taking this thread seriously. And it is. If you'd seen the range of those stone giants I talked with, you'd know.

"So, well, I've heard of all of you, obviously. It wasn't hard to figure out places where you were likely to be, and get messages to those places. So now I'm asking for your help. I don't have money to pay you, but these people need protection. I suspect that most of them don't even know that they're in danger."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Garrik listens to Eugenia tell her tale and sits quietly looking in her eyes after she is done. "What do you think may have provoked the giants ire?"
    I like the globe warm...

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

She digs a thumb into the palm of her other hand, considering.

"As far as I know, the giants and regular-sized folk have shared that mountain in a friendly way for decades. Centuries, probably. I've heard of the occasional shepherd getting squashed by a stray boulder from the giants playing catch, but nothing like this.

"So anything I say is pure speculation. But...a new leader might be lying to them, using the little folk as scapegoats. Or maybe someone among the little folk HAS done something to them, and now they seek revenge."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Seems like that riddle needs to be solved before anything else. Fighting giants never ends well and they will just keep coming if they feel wronged. They make the stubbornness of dwarves seem insignificant by comparison."
    I like the globe warm...

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

"Been awhile since ol' Moskra fought giants," says the old man. "Tha're big strong besterds and they don' take much ta Elves. Think he'd be right happy to help, but there ain't much he can do without a target. He's not a negotiator, that Moskra. He's a killer. And a plumb scary one." Unease in the old man's eyes. "He'll be there if ye need 'em, but don' ask for his help 'less yer certain ye need it."
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eugenia

Eugenia gives the old man a baffled look.

"I'm afraid I'm a bit new to all this. Are you warning me that he'll try to kill me? And how would I know whether I need him in advance?"

She looks around at the three, suddenly wondering if she had made a bad choice.

"Look, the giants I know there are decent folk, if a little careless with the rocks. I'm not asking you to fight them. I'm asking you to help get to the bottom of a mystery."

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Eugenia gives the old man a baffled look.

"I'm afraid I'm a bit new to all this. Are you warning me that he'll try to kill me? And how would I know whether I need him in advance?"
    A quick cackle. "He ain' gonna kill ye." He jabs a finger at Eugenia. "But he ain't a person, ol' Moskra. He's a weapon. Remem'er that so ye don' use 'em against someone ye don' wanna harm."

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    "Look, the giants I know there are decent folk, if a little careless with the rocks. I'm not asking you to fight them. I'm asking you to help get to the bottom of a mystery."
    "If ye say yer giants are decent, ol' Moskra'll give 'em the beneficial doubt. Meantimes, may be he can help with yer mystery. He's good at sneakin' when he needs to." A wink. "Jes' pray yer giants really are decent. Cause if they ain't, you ain' gonna see 'em again."
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

She's in with the Church... could be trouble.
    ...Could be an opening.

Hagard listened passively at first, though his interest visibly grows as the story continues.

...It wasn't hard to figure out places where you were likely to be...
    He shakes off a flashback of his open door. Of the muddy boot prints. Clearly...

"But he ain't a person, ol' Moskra. He's a weapon. Remem'er that so ye don' use 'em against someone ye don' wanna harm."
    "A wisp and a whisper, I remember they used to say about him" Hagard interjects at the old man's metaphor. "Haven't heard a thing of him since the old days... must be true."

Pushing off the stable wall with his shoulder, Hagard rocks forward a step. "Words are wasted on oathbreakers, though ones as old as they don't do so without reason. Perhaps they need a reminder of the benefits of peace." His eyes are trained on Eugenia, uncertain if his doublespeak will land on deaf ears and whether she was even privvy to the history leading to her simple note.

"Giants are no brigands. It may take time for the Church to call allies that can handle this.
    Let them come...
    Are you comfortable stepping outside the Church's shadow to deal with this?"
    he asks directly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The wizened gnome's face twists into a wry smile.

"No. I don't think I've been comfortable with any of this, not since that first day in Brindalorn.

"I'm not like your friend Moskra. A weapon. I'm a person. Who is trying to save other people. Including the giants. So if the Church isn't going to do that, I've got to do it on my own. But I'm not comfortable. No."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sincere. Unknowing. She's either a pawn or uninvolved and either is fine.

Hagard returns a knowing grin. "For the best. If everyone were a blade who would swing them?

Fredericks. Cudgel. He's just a weapon too...

"If Brindalorn was the first strike another will be coming soon. Wellspring's got caves all around from the underground streams that feed its namesake. Might be some lead deeper into the mountains to avoid them as long as we can. Would have to ask the folks 'round there to be sure," he offers as a potential course of action.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Interesting that she doesn't want to fight the giants for decimating a village. That's a good sign. The Church would have used that as an excuse for genocide of the giants.

Garrik looks to the old man, "Tell Moskra what we've learned here today and to get his skinny arse out of hiding. Tis time we helped someone besides ourselves again."

He turns his head slowly and looks back at Eugenia, "If you are betraying me and mine to the Church, little bit...." He lets the threat remain unsaid but with those words Eugenia can see smoldering flames begin to leak out of his mouth.
    I like the globe warm...

29. - Top - End - #29

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Garrik looks to the old man, "Tell Moskra what we've learned here today and to get his skinny arse out of hiding. Tis time we helped someone besides ourselves again."
    "Ye can meet ol' Moskra at The Pink Panther inn, no earlier than this here evening. Ask for Mr. Tnomal and ye'll find 'em," says the man in a hushed voice. "This work is gettin' a wee bit exciting for me old bones. I'll be making scarce lessen ye have more informin' for ol' Moskra.

Show
    I hope there are no objections to me making an inn up on the spot. If there are, I'm happy to defer to the DM's idea for an inn.
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Eugenia

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    He turns his head slowly and looks back at Eugenia, "If you are betraying me and mine to the Church, little bit...." He lets the threat remain unsaid but with those words Eugenia can see smoldering flames begin to leak out of his mouth.
    Eugenia looks puzzled.

"If I was doing that, wouldn't someone have jumped out as soon as we were all in the same place? I mean, I'm no expert in this. But, by all means, continue to threaten the woman who's asking you for help."

When the old man gives details of how to contact Moskra directly, Eugenia nods. She looks at Garrik and Hagard.

"Would you recommend that we all go now to speak with Moskra? Or would one of you like to make contact with him and get back to me?"