New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [IC Thread II]

Kuros awakens and accepts the magic casted by Dergosh. The improvement is immediately noticeable, but Kuros is still weakened.

Nevertheless, the company must continue on. Oleg’s Outpost depends on them sallying forth to fight the Stag Lord.

“I feel much better, thank you Dergosh. Still not at full strength, but I feel we can’t hole up and lick our wounds. The Stag Lord could attack Oleg’s Outpost at anytime. We must continue on to the Stag Lord’s fort to face him.” Kuros says in the morning. He turns to Gizonde and Three to ask, “What did you discover in that pit Akara made last night?”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

After receiving the restorative magics from Dergosh, Korlann begins going through some of his katas in order to see precisely how well he can still fight. He remains silent for the most part, aside from a quiet thanks to the cleric for his aid, until Kuros speaks up regarding the situation. Pausing in his practice, he thinks for a moment, before nodding. "Much as I wish it were not the case, I agree with you, Kuros - we simply don't have the luxury of waiting until our strength is fully recovered. That said, I'll definitely be relying on my ki more than my physical prowess for the next few days."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuros makes ready to break camp once everyone has finished their preparations.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bump. Hopefully this sends out the notices to everyone.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The half-orc nodded with a grunt. “Gruumsh bring back orc strength but stingy. Not want to give up all his power at once. More tomorrow,” he said, with a weaker than normal slap on the man’s back.

“Think we go slow today,” he opined to the group in general. “Not want to see more intag goblins until Wolftooth stronger.”
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Gizonde nodded.
    "Slow is best I think. In fact, if we take it slow enough, I could possibly try to learn the Lesser Restoration spell for my own uses with Dergosh's help... Alternatively..."
    Gizonde turns to Three.
    "Time is against us at the moment. Three, I don't believe you sleep. Would you be able to put in some overtime to get me a scroll of the spell? It may save us up to a day of slow travel."
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Watching as the rest of the Company agreed to soldier on, Three resigned herself to the upcoming trip. They were right, of course - there wasn’t the time to recover, not when the Stag Lord could march against their friends and allies at any time. This confrontation was long in the coming, though that did not make traveling with half the group weakened any easier.

Gizonde’s suggestion, however, did. Three nodded at his words. “I can certainly try, though I can’t promise success.” She took a few steps towards her wagon to gather supplies, before turning back to the eneko. “It may be worth mentioning that, if you wished to learn the spell from my scroll, I’m afraid that you likely can’t. While the broad strokes of the spell are the same, the details differ. An artificer’s creations are as far from divine magic as Akara’s spells are.”

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Three attempts to create a scroll of Lesser Restoration. Lesser Restoration’s minimum spell level and caster level is 1 through Paladin, so this will hopefully pass without trouble. Artificers are entitled to an additional roll on their last day of item creation if they haven’t yet passed the check.

The DC is 20 + Caster Level, so 21 because there is no reason for her to make this at her full caster level.
    First roll: (1d20+14)[32].
    Final roll: (1d20+14)[21].
    2 from her charisma modifier, 7 from her skill rank, 3 from Skill Focus; Use Magic Device, and 2 from the magic item compendium masterwork tool.

This scroll has a base price of 25 gold. Extraordinary Artisan reduces this to 18.75. Magic items take half their base price to create, so this costs 9.375 gold to make, or 9 gold, 3 silver, and 8 copper.
    This also costs 1 experience point, paid through her craft reserve.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, the Stolen Lands
    Late afternoon
    Twenty-seventh of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms, 1374 DR

Complication Dice: 4 of 6

Battered and still half-drained of strength, the Company gathered itself together for the warm morning that followed and set out once again. Kuros, Korlann, and Dergosh's muscles were still sagging on their arms as they staggered back to the march.

The hills were hard going that day, even allowing for the slow pace they were setting. They'd encountered steep and sharp-canyoned hills before, but as they came further south the hills seemed to be more barriers than anything else. The wagon went down and up dell and defile the whole day. Akara's companion, Flit, enthusiastically checked one canyon after another, though, and flew back chirping happily. There were elk, and even a couple of rothe whose massive, furry heads gave them the look of conferring philosophers, but nothing barred their way as they toiled on down one canyon after another. It seemed, mostly, a day of progress.

But it wasn't until the sun began to dip towards the hills that they discovered the truth of things. The hills gave way suddenly, a wide, shallow rise allowing the wagon to roll right up to a vantage point.

At the top of that rise, the Company discovered two things: first, it had come to a river. The glimmering flow of what, presumably, had to be the Thorn River, lay no more than a mile or two away, off to the southwest of their position. And the emerald mass of the Greenbelt lay, downhill, due west, no more than about six miles away if Kuros's judgment was right.

And that, Kuros realised, was the first time his judgment had likely been right since sometime yesterday. Sometime yesterday, he'd managed to get them turned around. The canyons and defiles had managed to keep him from realising the position of the sun, and that he'd accidentally led them west by northwest. They had been, in point of fact, lost. And had, in point of fact, managed to go in almost the opposite direction to their objective. The Thorn River would guide them back south, and then southeast, and to the ford, but they'd lost a good day's travel.

Show
    I'm afraid he failed his Navigation check. This is about the first opportunity for him to realise he's lost. Fast pace does impose significant penalties on a Navigation check. For clarity, here's the latest map of the area:

So you're a few miles north of where the Rickety Bridge would presumably be, pretty much on the Thorn River. And only a few miles from the Greenbelt, of course.

What do you want to do now?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Cursing gently under his breath, Kuros explains their position to the rest of the party. “This sets us back a day. Which with our recovery might not be the worst thing, but there it is.” Kuros says as he thinks through where they are, “We have a couple options here. We could take a look at the Rickety Bridge and see if it is a viable crossing or just as hazardous as it’s name implies. We could also backtrack into the Greenbelt to the river crossing at the camp where Kressle was. Third we stick to our original plan and can now follow the river down to the Stag Lord’s waiting defences.”

9. - Top - End - #39

OrcBarbarianGuy

Obdurately Dergosh plodded onward throughout the day, automatically putting one heavy-booted foot in front of the other despite nodding off even while on the march. A night without sleep left him groggy, but he willfully forced his body forward with an iron will. Occasionally his head bobbed forward and he came awake with a yell, his rough voice echoing around the defiles before he came fully awake.

Now, with the river laid out before them like a rippling silver thread, he looked dully over the landscape. “Bandit camp?” he rumbled, half question, half suggestion. “Good defenses, rest up in tree house and get back strength before we meet Stag’s goblins.”
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 (26 with rage)| Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +7 (+9 w/rage) melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd-restoration, lesser (x2), sonic weapon D

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Gizonde withered a bit at Kuros’ explanation of their situation.

“The camp… you said it was held by bandits? How long ago did you last go? Is there any possibility there are some there now?”
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuros grimaces at Gizonde’s question, “Plenty long enough for them to retake the camp if they were interested in it. I am mostly talking about tomorrows plans though. While the sun is still up I doubt we could even come close to reaching that camp. We may be able to reach the Rickety Bridge… or we could get caught on the road after sunset. Hard to tell on paths you haven’t travelled before.”

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Korlann thinks for a moment, before joining the conversation. "I think that heading towards the bridge would be our best option - we'd lose too much time heading back towards that camp, and between the risks of the Greenbelt itself and the possibility that the camp might be occupied again, I'd prefer not to head that way given our current condition. We can see what possibilities there might be for crossing at the bridge, and decide our next course of action from there."
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, the Stolen Lands
    Nightfall

Complication Dice: 5 of 6

Weariness seeping into their bones with each step, the Company turned their course down to the Thorn River and started down it, back the way they had already come. The river itself ran just as deep, cold, and forbidding as it did back in the Greenbelt; the stream was clearly not passable here, still pushed downhill out of the slopes and driven by the force of the waters running in it.

Still, they followed its embankment, having to detour here and there but matching its course southeast. The sun, seemingly possessed of the same weariness as themselves, sank into the west, behind them, turning the river's ripples red.

Crickets were dree'ing in the near-darkness when they finally came to it. The Thorn wound through a 20-foot-deep gulch here between a pair of hills. Perhaps the good news was that an old wooden bridge still spanned the gulch. The bad news, though, was that even the least experienced traveller could see the bridge would never support a wagon crossing it, and indeed was a potentially dangerous prospect for multiple people even crossing it on foot. Some of its timbers practically swayed in the light breeze - those that still existed, that was. In several locations planks were completely missing.

With night falling, there didn't seem to be much point continuing on. The north bank of the Thorn seemed as good a place to camp as any, and the gulch's walls seemed to provide a useful natural blind to conceal the wagon from curious onlookers.

Show
    I'm assuming Gizonde casts Heroes' Feast again tonight, thus supplying everyone with their forage for the day. Doubt you'll get much further today, and the party's travelling at slow pace, so there's no real reason they'd push on into the night hours.

Assuming they get a full 8 hours' sleep tonight, Korlann and Kuros will get 1 STR back each, bringing them to STR mod +0. Dergosh would get 1 STR back if he sleeps too, although he'd still have 3 STR left to heal. Healing checks would affect this, of course, but it'd be another night of no sleep for Dergosh and he'd be exhausted come dawn.

Lastly, the Complication Dice will tick over around midnight or so, and we'll roll it in the open then to see what, if anything, happens. Has anyone got anything else they're going to be doing tonight before we otherwise proceed on the basis that the Company drops where it stands, completely exhausted as they seem to be?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, the Stolen Lands
    Towards midnight

Complication Dice: 6 of 6

Three was looking up at the stars. The rest of the Company had turned in and left her to watch once more. The campfire was banked against a wall of rock, leaving no trace of illumination visible as best she could make it. Kuros, Korlann, and Dergosh had more or less collapsed to sleep a minute or two after they’d finished their duties for the evening and finished off the last of Gizonde’s meal. The Eneko and the half-Illumian Akara had similarly turned in early as well. Gizonde had been in the habit of asking questions of her in the form of genial conversation these past couple of days, but this time the primordial had simply offered his goodnights and headed to sleep.

Even Ser Pig had turned in. He was about the loudest snorer of the lot but even the boar wasn’t making much noise now.

Strange thing, sleep. Three could appreciate the need for a good closedown now and then, but she gathered it wasn’t close to the sort of oblivion that sleep provided. She did not, as far as she knew, dream while in a closedown, but sentients of all stripes did. Even Eron, elven, sometimes murmured in his trance state. It made one wonder whether it was sleep that determined consciousness rather than sentience; but then, magic made so many fools of rules and rational principle that she doubted they’d ever have an answer to that question – any more than some of the speculation that somewhere up there, in that blazing curtain of stars hung from the sky’s dome, Toril’s sister world of Abeir lay amongst a thousand other worlds, all with their own teeming continents and oceans filled with life. Planar activity was one thing, easily understandable; it was most efficient to have living things occupy much the same space but at different vibrations of existence. The notion that every star up there could be a sun with its own spinning worlds and Selunes and Tears and Realms? On its face, that seemed so preposterous. So … untidy.

“Well, we’re here now. Are you satisfied?”
    The night was clear and with no wind. The voice - male, guttural, young - carried, and its source was obvious: it came from across the gulch, and in particular, across the rickety bridge.
    "I will be satisfied once we are across the Thorn and on our way." This voice was male and young also, but a more ... refined version. Neither were ones that Three had heard before.
    "Savras's Bloody Ball, it's near midnight, what's it matter whether we're across this gods-rotting bridge or not?"
    "Because the longer we are here, the more time Nesmera has to clear out. Or for the grey ghost to warn her and her sisters. We already had to miss their little burrow once just for the sake of Aldrow's ... entertainment ... with that blonde girl on the hill. I do not plan to do so this time."
    "You're bloody strange, you know that? If you wanted some o' what Aldrow got, why didn't ya take it at th' time? And why with feckin' dwarven women?"
    "Dwarven women fill me with no more longing than they do you."
    "Then fecking why? Their burrow's maybe fifty feet end t' end. No money there."
    "Because you do not know minerals like I do. Nesmera and her sisters are drift mining. In these lands, with this sort of stone, that means they likely found silver. Or a seam of silver ore pure enough to make it worth following. And, women or not, dwarves are dwarves. Bad as dragons or worse for rich metals. They will want to take the silver with them if they realise they are under threat. Kill Nesmera and her three sisters, and a mine all to ourselves, without having to break any dirt at all."

Show
    What do you do?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

As the approaching men continued their conversation, Three felt her mood sour. There was comfort in thinking on other stars or planets that may or may not lay in the Sea of Night, and perhaps comfort even in thinking on what truly determines intelligence - they were both faraway concepts, issues that were not issues, nothing more than… theoretical shenanigans meant to occupy a bored mind while her friends rested for the battle to come.

That her fancies were interrupted by talk so… base... was disgusting. The only consolation was that she doubted the two men would survive their introduced to the Company - only one bandit has thus far, after all, and he's now an indentured servant.

Three waited for the men to begin crossing the bridge so that the coming confrontation would be made easier, and then stood tall. Hands on her crossbow, the warforged spoke out loud to her companions: "Wolftooth Warriors - murderers, thieves, and rapists are among us. Ready yourselves." She recalled one of the men mentioning Savras, He of the Third eye, God of Wizards, and so offered a warning to the Company: "... And keep watch for arcane magic."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, the Stolen Lands
    Towards midnight

The reaction of the two men on the bridge was immediate: they straightened, looking at the end of the bridge where Three and the others were still concealed. "Wolftooth?" said one of them. "Savras's Bloody Ball, that's them, Hirstmun! The ones they're talking about!"
    "I know, you idiot!" snarled the other - the calm, more assured voice had taken something of a hit. "Get back across the bridge, move! Aldrow! Cephas! Get back! Get the others away! The Wolftooth killers are here!"

The two bandits started scurrying back across the bridge, leaving it to an alarming swaying...

Show
    What do you do? Assume everyone's awake due to Three's warning.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Korlann's eyes snap open at the warforged's call, and he quickly rolls to his feet, the sounds of the other men lending urgency to his actions. He considers for one moment before moving towards the bridge, expecting that those on the other side would be less likely to try and bring the bridge down while their own are still on it.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Korlann will stand, and then move towards the bridge (and onto it if it is within 40 feet).
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

18. - Top - End - #48
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

Jumping to her feet at Three of Three's warning, Akara hears the ruffians curses upon the bridge. Grabbing a scimitar from nearby, she mutters a curse of her own, and throws it at the scampering fools upon the bridge.

Spoiler
    Show

Whirling blade spell attack
    (1d20+7)[16] crit on rolled 25+
    if you think the Vaul symbol, which grants +2 bonus to cha based checks, which this arguably is, then it is +2 to the attack roll, and a further +2 damage to every target hit

for (1d20+9)[22] to all enemies in a 60ft line

I have lowlight vision, if that helps me to aim at the maximum number of opponents possible.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

19. - Top - End - #49

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh was a bit tardy rolling to his feet, still feeling the effects from the intag goblins' strength sapping attacks. A decidedly wolfish grin did, however, spread across his big face at hearing that the Wolftooth Company was instilling the proper amount of fear in their enemies.

Snatching up his mace, the half-orc stalked towards the bridge, intent on getting into the thick of the havoc.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuros also answers the call to arms. He lurches tiredly to his feet, but brings weapons and shield to hand as he moves to stand alongside the other fighters of the Wolftooth Company.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, the Stolen Lands
    Towards midnight

Akara's spell produced the glowing, whirling blade she had intended it did, and she couldn't help but feel a little vindictive satisfaction as the two bandits in line with the bridge screamed with pain as the blade struck them and cut through them, sawing two of them in half, the bodies ... or parts thereof ... falling to the bridge. There were shouts from the other side of the bridge -- "Run! Get outta here! Go!" and much scuffling and scrambling through the brush and dirt, but no other deaths.

Korlann was supremely aware of his body and balance. Therefore he felt the tremor, the 'give' in the planks below him before he heard the hard noise of a span-ending CRACK. His superbly honed reflexes kicked in and he sprang backwards, clean to the northern side of the bridge, with the rest of the Company. The bridge groaned, crackled, hard clicks echoing in the night air before the bridge finally collapsed, the whole span falling into the gulch and the Thorn River below, a great noise of ruin and spray. The rest of the bandits had made their escape, clearly; pursuing them into the night on the far side of the river would be a task for someone who could fly, if they wanted to so pursue.

Show
    What do you do?

22. - Top - End - #52

OrcBarbarianGuy

Having slid his throwing spear out, Dergosh waited for a few minutes, watching the far bank for any further signs of trouble.

He looked down at the river below.

He looked at the remnants of the bridge.

He looked back at their wagon.

With a sigh (OOC: assuming no further threats are revealed) he turned back away from the fallen bridge, returning to the center of camp where he squatted by the embers of their campfire and slowly fed it a bit of fresh fuel since it appeared their rest was over. He contemplated the flickering fire, scratching at his fire-scarred scalp with a thick finger.

"Three," he finally asked, "you know how to build bridge? Think we need to find other way to cross if not. Goblins know where we are," he added with a scowl.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

With the bridge breaking, Gizonde looks around at the company.

“I have a spell that we could use to get across, but I’ve only prepared it the once. I was planning to use it tomorrow when we broke camp, but if we wait around we’ll probably lose them. Are we planning to give chase?”

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Kuros hears the screams of the bandits and the crash as the bridge finally gives in to time and falls.

Hearing the scattered plans to pursue, Kuros hesitates a moment before saying his piece, “Honestly, it may be best to turn in for the night and let those snakes go. Dergosh needs to rest, and going after them will most certainly mean leaving the wagon here. They failed to cross the river so they would need to head upriver to the old bandit camp or down river to the defended crossing. Either way, their debauchery will be well delayed for now.”

25. - Top - End - #55
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

For once, erring on the side of caution seemed the prudent course of action. no matter what her old sifu would have to say about pressing the attack as the only means of victory. Quickly leaping into the air to make sure that the ruffians are well and truly gone and to get a quick lay of the land around them once again first. Whispering to Flit, Akara turns back to see to the comfort of her companions, much as she is able to do so.

Spoiler
    Show

sending flit to scout ahead, and report back on which way the bandits flee, or to report back if they are just lying in ambush waiting for us to give chase
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2021-09-15 at 04:12 AM.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Hills, the Stolen Lands
    Early morning
    Twenty-eighth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms, 1374 DR

Complication Dice: 1 of 6

The Company turned back in for the night, at least somewhat comforted by the fact no attack could come from the far bank of the Thorn River unless it flew. The remainder of the bandits had indeed made their escape. It was reasonably apparent that the odds were now decent that the Stag Lord would know where the Company was, or where it had been this night.

However, they were not assailed any further that night, and their sleep as a group was deep and profound. They woke the next morning, feeling a little better, feeling a little more ready for their task.

Show
    The interruption to sleep was short enough that the party got 8 hours' rest, though the passing of time raises the Complication Pool back to 1. Still, it's now morning. I'll need spell lists and the like for today. Korlann, Kuros and Dergosh all get 1 STR back, though again more healing spells might have an impact on that if anyone's minded to memorise and cast any, or apply other healing.

I'll give it 24 hours more if people intend to post, and after that assume the party is setting out again at slow pace for the ford. That said, given you're now following a river you're highly unlikely to get lost or miss the ford even when travelling at fast pace, albeit there are other penalties for travelling quickly … chiefly, lower chance of spotting something before it spots you and higher chance of something picking up your trail.

At slow pace, and assuming nothing happens in between, you should reach the ford at nightfall today.
    At normal pace, it'd be more like mid-afternoon.
    At fast pace, it'll be more like late morning.

I will assume slow pace unless anyone says otherwise.

27. - Top - End - #57

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dawn brought little relief to Dergosh; his muscles still felt as flabby as mage’s. After a bit of consultation with his god, he cast a restorative spell on both himself and his most battered comrade. Feeling a bit better, he helped pack up the camp rapidly in order to get on the move as early as possible.

“Stag goblins know where Wolftooth is. Need to slip around flank and bite them from behind.”

Show
    Casting lesser restoration on himself and whichever PC is down the most ability damage.
    Dergosh - (1d4)[1]
    Lucky Friend - (1d4)[1]
    Dergosh is all for moving at a fast pace to vacate our current position as quickly as possible.

Snake eyes!
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2021-09-17 at 04:41 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Gizonde rose with the dawn sun, groaning a bit. He'd slept fitfully, anxious about their time restrictions and his drained allies.

"You're right, Dergosh, they know we're here. But also they know that the bridge is broken and they'll likely be expecting us to have to go around. Thankfully, we won't have to."

Gizonde waits for the others to rouse themselves, but when they are ready he will cast Dark Way across the divide.

29. - Top - End - #59

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh cocked his head at Gizonde's statement that they didn't have to find another way around. He looked at the broken bridge dubiously.

"We fly over?" he asked. "Not think Akara big enough to carry us...or mules...or wagon."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

The Ford, the Stolen Lands
    Midmorning
    Twenty-eighth of Kythorn, Year of Lightning Storms, 1374 DR

Complication Dice: 2 of 6

Gizonde answered Dergosh's question by murmuring for a few moments, then raising his hand. A black roadway that seemed to swallow light appeared where the rope bridge had stood. The Eneko waved a hand at the Company, and they crossed over, the mules hesitating only a little as they walked on what seemed nothing but night to the other side.

The hilly, canyon-cut land here seemed no more stark than the hills on the north side of the Thorn. Grey boulders still frowned down from looming hillsides, and the grass fought a bitter war for survival on the thin soil. But just as certainly as nothing looked different, it felt different on the skin. It might have been something in the air, or some note in the wind that danced over the hills. But it was there: the feeling that they had passed from one domain of influence to another. We don't go south of the Thorn, so Tyg-Titter-Tut and Perlivash had said weeks ago, and the words came back to them now for no reason anyone could put their finger on. It was the cousin of the feeling they'd had as they'd crossed at the Thorn River Camp and deep into the Greenbelt, looking for Jhod Kavken's temple, the last time someone had died. Yes, a cousin of the feeling: but a cousin nonetheless, a feeling that something wasn't entirely right. Some other influence was here, and even those less attuned to the song of magic in the world amongst them could feel in their bones that it was not coming from the Stag Lord.

They pressed a fast pace, even with half of them still suffering the effects of the confrontation with the shadows of the cairn the night before. it was strangely reassuring; like moving faster to the source of an infection. The Thorn guided them southeast, and it only took an hour or two before they could hear the roar of another watercourse somewhere in the distant: that would be the Shrike, surely. Nothing challenged them or assaulted them; quite the contrary, the land seemed to give them good passage. Come into my web, said the spider to the fly...

Where the Shrike and the Thorn met, the land dipped for a good mile or so around it. Trees bloomed where the moisture pooled and sank into the earth, and it seemed the river crossing was amongst a thick copse of trees that sat on both sides of the river. Akara landed and joined the others as they made their way down the dusty half-trail they'd been following along the river to the crossing itself.

There were two dwarves on the southern side of the crossing, which was to say, the same side of the crossing as the Company as it moved in. One of the dwarves leaned against a tree, arms folded. That one's beard was white and his head bald. The other had a red beard speckled with grey, but wore a horned helm. He smoked from a long pipe. Both were deeply tanned and didn't seem to be suffering any effects from the warm morning. Both were dressed in good quality full plate that had been covered in lampblack. No axes or hammers, as expected - each only seemed to be armed with a shortsword each, albeit the blade judging by the sheaths was as wide as a machete. Neither of them had drawn their weapons; they seemed entirely calm. Their shields, resting by their feet, were dented and dull with what likely was long use, but the eye of Helm was still visible on each. The armour somehow seemed of a ... different style, though Kuros couldn't place where it came from exactly. But the shoulderplates also had the eye of Helm on them.
    "Salve," said the red-bearded dwarf, taking his pipe from his mouth and raising his open hand. There didn't seem to be anyone else around.

Spoiler: Three
    Show
    That was odd. Eron's files held a number of greetings, but this one didn't match that of the ones dwarves usually made. Salve was an Amnian greeting or blessing.

Spoiler: Gizonde
    Show
    There was something tantalisingly familiar about all this. The Eneko hadn't delved into the subject of regional preferences much recently, and maybe something would spark his memory further, but their armour and the look of their shields was straight out of some tales he'd seen in the Testament about the exploration of Maztica, the famed 'New Worlde' far and away over the seas that Amnish explorers had been in for some years now.

Show
    What do you do?