New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Magical Secrets

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Magical Secrets

Magical Secrets count as Bard spells, and bards can change a bard spell known every time they level. Does this mean a bard can change a magical secret every time they level?
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Magical Secrets

Yes, but they must change it out for a bard spell.

The rule that allows you to change your spells requires that the spell you’re changing it into is a bard spell itself, while the magical secrets become bard spells, they don’t make any of the other classes spells bard spells, so you would “lose” a magical secrets in the act of changing.

As a DM, I’m inclined to just allow the player to change the magical secret for another magical secret, regardless of class, it seems like a silk technicality and I’m all for allowing players to change their decisions if something isn’t working out.
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Occupations: DnD Player/DM, High-School student, Webcomic reader.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

My third occupation takes the most time.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    Yes, but they must change it out for a bard spell.

The rule that allows you to change your spells requires that the spell you’re changing it into is a bard spell itself, while the magical secrets become bard spells, they don’t make any of the other classes spells bard spells, so you would “lose” a magical secrets in the act of changing.

As a DM, I’m inclined to just allow the player to change the magical secret for another magical secret, regardless of class, it seems like a silk technicality and I’m all for allowing players to change their decisions if something isn’t working out.
    Although when you chose a spell with macical secrets it becomes a bard spell for you, and nothing says that it stops being a bard spell for you if at any point you cease knowing it... so I guess you can swap a magical secret back in again if you want.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Although when you chose a spell with macical secrets it becomes a bard spell for you, and nothing says that it stops being a bard spell for you if at any point you cease knowing it... so I guess you can swap a magical secret back in again if you want.
    Hmm, yeah I guess you could, not sure it really helps but it’s good to know it’s not lost forever when you switch it out.
    Homebrew setting: UnintensifiedFailure's Setting Please check it out, I'd love feedback.

Occupations: DnD Player/DM, High-School student, Webcomic reader.

Webcomic Recs: Tower of God, Yumi's Cells, Questionable Content, and (of course) OOTS.

My third occupation takes the most time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UnintensifiedFa View Post
    I wouldn't, if only because Lore Bard's additional Magical Secrets doesn't need the additional benefit of potentially netting them a 4th or 5th level spell from any class prior to the base classes Magical Secrets. At higher levels this would also allow a Bard to pick up another classes 9th level spells a level earlier than normally allowed for their Magical Secrets, very notable for Wish. I think that's intentional design as well that Bards can take from any class list, but they'll always be a level behind when picking for their highest level slots.

Bards are plenty strong, and in this aspect of the class I think that the decision here is important. If I were to allow them to swap Magical Secrets out, I would add the restriction that they could only choose a spell of the same level or lower* than the one they're swapping.
    *EDIT: I worded it this way assuming they would only do this once, which could start to become restrictive if they ever did choose a lower level spell. The intention was that they can only ever swap a magical secret for another they would have been able to choose when they gained the feature, like Hiro Quester says below.
    Last edited by ProsecutorGodot; 2021-06-20 at 07:58 PM. Reason: clarifications

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Or at least only let them swap it out for a new spell that they could have learned initially.

I’m usually in favor of letting players rethink a character build decision that isn’t working out as they hoped.
    Last edited by Hiro Quester; 2021-06-20 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFizban View Post
    Magical Secrets count as Bard spells, and bards can change a bard spell known every time they level. Does this mean a bard can change a magical secret every time they level?
    Yes, but when they do so they don’t select from an unlimited list (unlike the original secret pick)
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones