New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Hel's Plan and Math

Not one dwarf goes to anybody else under any circumstances. She gets them all. This would be a major 1 time boost. She is only speaking of being queen of the Norse. The others will get different ones from all over the world. We assume there are undead that She has created that did not want to die. They would be hers as well. They are a dungeon ending monsters.

She wins the Norse and gets to battle grandfather Odin for controlling rights. She loses she gets to boss daddy around.

High priest become chew toys and mega batteries. They also continue to follow former ways there by increasing their life span or better shed a lifetime of former ways and switch sides.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hel's Plan and Math

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    500,000,000-10'000'000 dwarves = 490'000'000 souls.
    12+19+17+1 = 49.
    490'000'000/49 = 10'000'000. About the same as the number of souls that Hel will be getting. Likely there will be some bleed off as some people don't worship gods, or they worship demigods, or some other issue, but it's still comparable to the influx that Hel will be getting.
    There is no particular reason to assume these figures make any sense, but it might be the case that there's some kind of currency-balancing going on (longer-lived species with more XP/level like dwarves might be a richer source of calories for their divine patron than shorter-lived sword-fodder species like kobolds. It's also not really explained why the Dark One isn't set to become Head Honcho in the next iteration of the world, given he's going to claim 100% of all goblin souls when/if the world ends.)

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    This was addressed at the time with one of Rich's more eloquent comments,
    'rather than making a bunch of assumptions and complaining the comic doesn't fit them, why not make a bunch of different assumptions that do?'
    I tried, but the effort drove me almost literally to madness.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    There is no particular reason to assume these figures make any sense, but it might be the case that there's some kind of currency-balancing going on (longer-lived species with more XP/level like dwarves might be a richer source of calories for their divine patron than shorter-lived sword-fodder species like kobolds. It's also not really explained why the Dark One isn't set to become Head Honcho in the next iteration of the world, given he's going to claim 100% of all goblin souls when/if the world ends.)
    TDO is about to get a huge amount of souls, if the world ends. But, he's lacking in long-standing Belief and the like, having been a god for centuries instead of millennia. While he's got Worship and Dedications down pat, there aren't too many people doing belief (other gods have a far more multi-racial set and so may have significantly more from, you know, an entire country each). And if you assuming longer-lived species have more value to the gods, then TDO may have a fraction of what, say, Thor would just from their primary worshippers (goblins and dwarves respectively).
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

4. - Top - End - #34

If Hel is acting on the assumption that she’s right, what the heck difference does it make? By the time she would realize her plan is bogus, every character and plot point we care about is over.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

5. - Top - End - #35

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If Hel is acting on the assumption that she’s right, what the heck difference does it make? By the time she would realize her plan is bogus, every character and plot point we care about is over.
    But if she’s wrong, then we have to tell her.

https://xkcd.com/386/

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    But if she’s wrong, then we have to tell her.

https://xkcd.com/386/
    It all depends on how you define "on the Internet." Hel is technically on the Internet, thanks to The Giant, but she's not actively involved in it, as far we know; she probably doesn't even have a Google account. Do we really have the moral or ethical duty to correct somebody on the Internet if we can't really reach them through online channels?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

7. - Top - End - #37

It's never stopped this forum before.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It all depends on how you define "on the Internet." Hel is technically on the Internet, thanks to The Giant, but she's not actively involved in it, as far we know; she probably doesn't even have a Google account.
    Something something 'active on Macebook'.
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

9. - Top - End - #39

Flumph

It's pretty interesting that dwarves are just 2 percent of world population despite of being one of PC races.

10. - Top - End - #40

Lizardfolk

I wonder if Duergar are factored into Hels equation...

11. - Top - End - #41

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Do we really have the moral or ethical duty to correct somebody on the Internet if we can't really reach them through online channels?
    It’s not just for Hel!

We have a responsibility as online citizens to correct any and all erroneous information as quickly and as loudly as possible so that others don’t repeat Hel’s mistake.

There may hundreds of readers of this comic who are gods of their own universes, all considering whether or not to destroy the world to increase their personal power.

We need to let those readers know it’s not a good idea to destroy the world!
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-08-02 at 11:03 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

It’s not just for Hel!

We have a responsibility as online citizens to correct any and all erroneous information as quickly and as loudly as possible so that others don’t repeat Hel’s mistake.

There may hundreds of readers of this comic who are gods of their own universes, all considering whether or not to destroy the world to increase their personal power.

We need to let those readers know it’s not a good idea to destroy the world!
    Depends on the world though, doesn't it?

13. - Top - End - #43

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by masamune1 View Post
    Depends on the world though, doesn't it?
    The careful and thoughtfully developed mathematical techniques presented on this discussion board should be equally valid for any world devouring god situations that the readers may find themselves in.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-08-02 at 02:21 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    It's pretty interesting that dwarves are just 2 percent of world population despite of being one of PC races.
    Dwarves appear to be much more heavily concentrated in the north than anywhere else, and there are not only easily a dozen ethnic groups, there's also dozens of sentient species contributing to the total.
    Think about how many trolls and goblins and squidy things there are.
    If anything, 500 million seems like lowballing it.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-08-11 at 05:40 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

On where Loki's billions of souls come from, they don't even have to come from the current world. Odin's currently senile because the previous world thought magic was only believed in by idiots. So consider the effect of thousands of worlds of people believing that Loki can't tell the truth, even if some of them exist for only a few years.

16. - Top - End - #46

Quote Originally Posted by HMClark View Post
    On where Loki's billions of souls come from, they don't even have to come from the current world. Odin's currently senile because the previous world thought magic was only believed in by idiots. So consider the effect of thousands of worlds of people believing that Loki can't tell the truth, even if some of them exist for only a few years.
    Loki very clearly was talking about those currently alive though, not any lingering effects from past worlds.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

17. - Top - End - #47

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Loki very clearly was talking about those currently alive though, not any lingering effects from past worlds.
    Unless… Loki might have been lying!

Let’s catalog the race of every character who has ever appeared in the comic, and divide the number of dwarves by the total number of characters.

And then let’s use that number to convince ourselves that Loki is lying, The Giant is wrong, The Oracle disproves quantum mechanics, and The Dark One is more indigo than purple.
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-08-12 at 06:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Unless… Loki might have been lying!

Let’s catalog the race of every character who has ever appeared in the comic, and divide the number of dwarves by the total number of characters.

And then let’s use that number to convince ourselves that Loki is lying, The Giant is wrong, The Oracle disproves quantum mechanics, and The Dark One is more indigo than purple.
    Indigo is a fake colour. It's a shade of blue with delusions of grandeur. I blame Newton.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-12 at 06:41 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

19. - Top - End - #49

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Indigo is a fake colour. It's a shade of blue with delusions of grandeur. I blame Newton.
    You’re not treating this conversation with the gravity it deserves.

20. - Top - End - #50

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Dwarves appear to be much more heavily concentrated in the north than anywhere else, and there are not only easily a dozen ethnic groups, there's also dozens of sentient species contributing to the total.
    Think about how many trolls and goblins and squidy things there are.
    If anything, 500 million seems like lowballing it.
    Very few of them seems to have big civilizations though.

On the other hand, if we divide this half a billion into three equal parts, assuming three continents have similar number of people in it, we'll get 166 million as the total population of the northern continent. This makes them like 16 percent of the northern continent, which is a decent number.