New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question Can you wear a magic shirt and a magic pair of shorts if both are different types of

Or would they be considered as ONE "suit" of "armor"?

https://village.photos/images/user/c...34507d481e.jpg

Technically he looks like he's wearing a loin cloth or something similar but I'd like to change it to shorts/swim shorts.

Msybe one take up the armor slot and the other be something else separate? Like wearing a chain shirt for armor but your lower body is still covered by something?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Can you wear a magic shirt and a magic pair of shorts if both are different types

A magic shirt more typically occupies the Torso body slot than the Body body slot. Magic shorts should probably occupy the Waist body slot, but none have ever been printed, to my knowledge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Can you wear a magic shirt and a magic pair of shorts if both are different types

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    A magic shirt more typically occupies the Torso body slot than the Body body slot. Magic shorts should probably occupy the Waist body slot, but none have ever been printed, to my knowledge.
    With the number of electronic rpgs that feature a "pants" slot in the inventory, I don't think it would be a hard call to houserule a pants magic item slot. Opens up options for loincloths, bikinis, trousers, chaps, posing pouches, codpieces, etc...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2021-06-23 at 02:20 AM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

FWIW, Oriental Adventures have magical hakama ("knee-length trousers"), which occupy the cloak body slot

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    FWIW, Oriental Adventures have magical hakama ("knee-length trousers"), which occupy the cloak body slot
    They mention them taking up the same space as a cloak, cape,mantle, haori, or happi. However a search of my pdf shows no magic pants have been printed.

On a side note, I always thought that this little quirk would be a fun adventure. A wizard finds ancient writings about/ discovers an ancient pair/ creates the first pair of magic pants and thus the magic item slot for them as well. Why was this magical knowledge hidden away? What will kingdoms do to get that extra edge? Who locked the ability to enchant pants away in the first place and what else are they hiding? Denim or khakis?!
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    They mention them taking up the same space as a cloak, cape,mantle, haori, or happi. However a search of my pdf shows no magic pants have been printed.
    They intended to cosmetically convert items to more "oriental" look:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriental Adventures
    For example, lyres and harps are common musical instruments in the lands of the Player's Handbook, but in an Oriental Adventures campaign one is more likely to discover a koto of building or a samisen of charming. Likewise, a magic cloak likely takes the form of a kimono or jacket, boots become sandals, bags become boxes, and so on. These changes in the form of an item do not affect its function in any way.
    Thus, Cloak of Charisma becomes Hakama of Charisma
    (Yellow pants! "Ku" twice!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    On a side note, I always thought that this little quirk would be a fun adventure. A wizard finds ancient writings about/ discovers an ancient pair/ creates the first pair of magic pants and thus the magic item slot for them as well. Why was this magical knowledge hidden away? What will kingdoms do to get that extra edge? Who locked the ability to enchant pants away in the first place and what else are they hiding? Denim or khakis?!
    Well, in the Monday Begins on Saturday, one of wizards invented the Trousers of Invisibility.
    Unfortunately for him, they malfunctioned: became invisible, but not imparted invisibility on the wearer...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    (Yellow pants! "Ku" twice!)
    Kin-Tza-Tza was translated into English?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The BoEF puts pants as the body slot. If you go piecemeal from PF, it can sort of count as one of the three body slots you get from doing that. IIRC, only the best enchantment applies though I could be wrong. Still, combine it with 3.5 mundane enhancements for +3 AC is nice for making very expensive armor based on looks. Strapped up all in leather with a +5 AC before magic is nice, but expensive.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Kin-Tza-Tza was translated into English?
    Few results with English subtitles are on the very first page of Google video search

P.S. Привет Москве из Тулы!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Long have I dismayed at the lack of magic pants in D&D.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe D&D is modeled on one of the periods in history when nobody wore pants?

Now that I think about it though, are there any magic socks, stockings, leggings, togas, kilts, skirts, or dresses?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, depending on how large the shorts are, they may take the ring slots.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

The rules don't really give guidance due to a lack of magical pants.
    A separate pants slot makes sense but so does combining both into a body slot.

I've ruled magic pants as slotless in the past but a pants slot is cleaner since you don't have to rule on the practicalities of layering.
    I am rel.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

To quote a wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Just to digress a bit further, I think there's three options for magical pants:

1. - Have them as a slot-less item;
    2. - Have them use the same slot as waist (same as belts etc.);
    3. - Create a new magic item slot.

I use option 1 (or sometimes 2) in the games I run.
    Also, Fighting Trousers are a thing in my games: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...6&postcount=12

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Maybe D&D is modeled on one of the periods in history when nobody wore pants?
    I thought this too, but pants definitely exist in 3E. In Arms & Equipment Guide p.29, table 2-2 has pricing for mundane pants/breeches of various materials.

In RoD, the Sharakim are noted to favour "finely made shirts and pants"

Heck, even in the PHB, both the artisans outfit and cold weather outfit both mention pants.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

In Ancient/Classical Greek and Romans era, wearing short leather skirts was the norm.
    Level Point System 5E
    Poker Roll

Tier 1 Master of All
    Tier 2 Lightning Bruiser
    Tier 3 Lethal Joke Character
    Tier 4 Master of None
    Tier 5 Crippling Overspecialization
    Tier 6 Joke Character