New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo meets Courage The Cowardly Dog

Trailer Here

Honestly, it's an accurate name, it does feel like it came straight out of nowhere.

When was the last time Courage was relevant? This is...

I'm torn between asking why this is a thing and asking why this wasn't already a thing. The cynical part of me thinks that this is combining blatant nostalgia bait with a franchise that's known to sell well, but the optimistic part of me thinks it could work.

This does, however, kind of destroy the "the supernatural things are courage's overactive dog imagination explaining things he's too much of a dog to understand" headcanon as well as make it seem more and more silly that Scooby-Doo as a franchise holds to the "no such thing as monsters" concept from the original show.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-06-25 at 09:38 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Straight Outta Nowhere: Scooby-Doo meets Courage The Cowardly Dog

On the one hand, i have no idea why this exists.

On the other hand, i want the answer to be "because its genuinely as amazing as it sounds like it should be."

Please please please. Just let us have this one nice thing.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3

I mean, it's not the weirdest thing they've done.

Last year Mystery Inc teamed up with Bill Nye the Science Guy and Elvira Mistress of the Dark to fight Scarecrow.

The Batman villain.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The trailer looks pretty cool, although the creator of Courage The Cowardly Dog not being involved worries me...

I don't think you have to worry about it ruining the premises of the shows, since it appears to just be a dream match kind of thing, rather than a canonical event to either franchise.

Scooby Doo has way more than its fair share of weirs crossover movies that are never acknowledged in canon.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-06-27 at 11:16 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Scooby Doo has way more than its fair share of weirs crossover movies that are never acknowledged in canon.
    Are yu sure about that?

I mentioned this already, but...

To reiterate: Batman does not appear once in that movie. They name-drop Aquaman, but Batman doesn't appear.

This is just... Scooby-Doo just takes place in a version of the DC Universe. At least in some continityies.

Though, granted, Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo is more of a composite: The art style a and setting are Mystery Incorporated but Daphne acts like she did in Be Cool, Scooby-Doo and despite the Gang's hometown being referred to as Crystal Cove, there's a cameo appearance from Red Herring and Red Herring only ever appeared, prior to this, in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo which set the kids Hometown as Coolsville.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm not about anything Scooby-Doo. I'm not a big fan of the series. But I watched it on occasion when I was a kid, like everyone else... And I have seen plenty of Scooby-Doo movies that are never acknowledged in any episode I've ever watched. This seem to be more of that... Which I think is perfectly fine. We tend to focus too much on canon/not-canon these days, but sometimes it's nice to just have fun with the characters and not worry about the story's implications to the setting.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-06-28 at 11:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Are yu sure about that?

I mentioned this already, but...
    To reiterate: Batman does not appear once in that movie. They name-drop Aquaman, but Batman doesn't appear.

This is just... Scooby-Doo just takes place in a version of the DC Universe. At least in some continityies.

Though, granted, Happy Halloween, Scooby-Doo is more of a composite: The art style a and setting are Mystery Incorporated but Daphne acts like she did in Be Cool, Scooby-Doo and despite the Gang's hometown being referred to as Crystal Cove, there's a cameo appearance from Red Herring and Red Herring only ever appeared, prior to this, in A Pup Named Scooby-Doo which set the kids Hometown as Coolsville.
    Scooby Doo has a long and proud tradition of existing in the DC universe in many different forms. if anything Scooby Doo x Batman universe is one of the more oddly consistent things between different iterations of Scooby outside of the general show premise and the archetypes of the main cast of characters.

Batman and Robin guest starring on old timey Scooby to take down Joker and Penguin.

Batman brave and the bold crossover, where the Scooby crew guest starred on Batman's show.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2021-06-28 at 06:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The Scooby-Doo movies have always existed in a sort of quasi canon of their own, separate from the cartoons. They're the only time the Gang ever encounters genuine supernatural or monstrous dangers, at least.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The Scooby-Doo movies have always existed in a sort of quasi canon of their own, separate from the cartoons. They're the only time the Gang ever encounters genuine supernatural or monstrous dangers, at least.
    Not quite: There's TThe Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo which had genuinely supernatural terrors in every episode, as well as Vincent Van Ghoul being a genuine magic-user. While not a threat, one episode of a Pup Named Scooby-Doo had a benevolent actual ghost as a victim of the week: The Gang was brought in by the family who lived in the Haunted House specifically to solve the mystery of the other, new ghost who showed up and is trying to drive them out because the only person willing to buy their house is a developer who plans to tear it down and if you tear down a haunted house, the ghost in side... "poof."

More recently, Scooby-Doo and guess who had them meet The Funky Phantom.

And these might count as movies, but there were three television special that had Scooby, Shaggy, and Shaggy encountering genuine supernatural occurrences: Scooby-Doo Meets the Boo Brothers, Scooby-Doo and the Ghoul School, and Scooby-Doo and the Reluctant Werewolf.

...Though, the last two do not seem to be in the same continuity. If they were, you'd think it would have come up that this is the second time that Shaggy is meeting some of those monsters and that he was the Gym Teacher for several of their children. Some of those monster designs are changed as well.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So basically, Scooby-Doo continuity is only slightly less convoluted than Zelda. Its crossovers mean that Batman exists in the same universe as KISS, the Harlem Globetrotters, and the Addams Family, among many others.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2021-06-28 at 11:16 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So basically, Scooby-Doo continuity is only slightly less convoluted than Zelda. Its crossovers mean that Batman exists in the same universe as KISS, the Harlem Globetrotters, and the Addams Family, among many others.
    Honestly, it sounds like "Six Degrees from Scooby Doo" is the fictional equivalent of "Six Degrees from Kevin Bacon".
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Honestly, it sounds like "Six Degrees from Scooby Doo" is the fictional equivalent of "Six Degrees from Kevin Bacon".
    No, that would be Six Degree from Saint Elsewhere.

But yes, Scooby-Doo continuity is all kinds of non euclidian.

There are at least three continuities, but what's in-continuity with what is iffy.

Been trying to figure out what's in continuity with what but it's hard.

Like, the implication is that all of the Direct to Video Movies(the stuff that's been released once or twice every year or so ever since Zombie Island) is in continuity with each other, but at some point it seems that there was a soft reboot that compressed the timeline and brought them back to being late teens solving mysteries when off of school rather than young adults as they were in the early films.

Curse of the Thirteenth Ghost is supposed to be the finale of Thirteen Ghosts of Scooby-Doo, which was canceled before it could resolve that plot, but the implication was that the gang were adults by that time but no, still kids on break here.

And with recent movies referring to Crystal Cove, it's possible that the soft Reboot had also tied them to the Mystery Incorporated Timeline.

Mystery Inc has technically met three different versions of Batman.

The only thing I'm sure about is that Scoob is not part of any previous continuity... Becuase it's explicitly supposed to be the start of a new Hanah-Barbera-based Cinematic Universe, and that the OKKO episode where the girls from the Grimwood School show up and the Ninja Girl whose a witch went to the school but transferred out at some point isn't in continuity.

Executive decision on my part, they turn the girls into generic teens and... "That Weird Guy and his Great Danes" is a really disrespectful way to refer to the coach who 1: Helped you finally win in the annual volleyball game against the boy's military school next door, which is important because the girl are depicted as being a Pro-Volleyball team now, and 2: Later saved your lives. I refuse to accept something as canon when it is so clearly disrespectful of the source material.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-06-29 at 10:02 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I just want it all to be cannon so there is a small chance, minute as it is, that Batman and John Cena can team up with a talking dog against some greedy land owner in an over-engineered rubber monster mask.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The only true tragedy here is that the creator of Courage the Cowardly dog wasnt involved.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trailer Here

Honestly, it's an accurate name, it does feel like it came straight out of nowhere.

When was the last time Courage was relevant? This is...

I'm torn between asking why this is a thing and asking why this wasn't already a thing. The cynical part of me thinks that this is combining blatant nostalgia bait with a franchise that's known to sell well, but the optimistic part of me thinks it could work.

This does, however, kind of destroy the "the supernatural things are courage's overactive dog imagination explaining things he's too much of a dog to understand" headcanon as well as make it seem more and more silly that Scooby-Doo as a franchise holds to the "no such thing as monsters" concept from the original show.
    Your assumption is correct. Courage hasn't been relevant since 2002 when the show concluded. There was one obscure special created in 2014 but only aired in southeast asia. So yes it is nostalgia bait. A kids show meant to be more marketed to the parents who remember Courage.

But as to the strengths of the trailer I can say meh at best. Clearly this is marketed towards children but even as far as a kids show goes it is forgettable. The whole premise that is given makes me wonder what is the plot suppose to be? The Mystery Inc. gang gets lost in Nowhere Kansas (where Courage takes place) just to fight off giant bugs? Besides this the weird humor aspect that Courage was known for is lacking to even enjoy that aspect of it. And as one person already mention, the fact that John Dilworth was not involved or even consulted to splash in that old Courage charm is clearly evident. So again one to pass on from the looks of it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Well... "Nostalgia Bait targeted more to parents than children" (with a dash of propaganda) is about 98% of movies and TV shows these days...

Then again, 98% of movies and TV shows these days are crap, so you have a point.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2021-07-02 at 12:17 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff:

17. - Top - End - #17

So how much you wanna bet that it's gonna turn out the bad guy is Katz?

Courage doesn't have many recurring nemeses and Katz is the most iconic of the ones he does have.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

So how much you wanna bet that it's gonna turn out the bad guy is Katz?

Courage doesn't have many recurring nemeses and Katz is the most iconic of the ones he does have.
    Well its going to be Katz, Eustace, or someone they introduce just for that movie.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Trailer is unavailable?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Darn, I thought I had a market for my "Damian Wayne and Velma: Some Like It Hot" fanfic.
    Last edited by Trafalgar; 2021-07-05 at 02:46 PM.