New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1238 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    So could someone tell me how a hypothetical fight between Xykon and Sunny would go? I don't see any exceptions in the antimagic field description to let a high level caster muscle through.

Also, I think in an antimagic field his ability to attack would be equal to an unarmed (albeit epic) commoner? and even his damage reduction is supernatural, so he's just be a high hp commoner.

Does a beholder have the means to attack someone while in the antimagic field?
    Only with its very weak bite. Pairing a Beholder with a creature that does not rely on magic for its offensive power is a good combo. But far from unbeatable.

For instance there is nothing stopping you from simply moving out of the affected area. If you're lucky you manage that with just your move action leaving you standard free to deal with the Beholder.
    It might be a bit tricky if you're alone. But as soon you have allies (say Xykon + Redcloak) it becomes much easier to deal with a beholder. Barring verry specific circumstances it is not possible for a single Beholder to keep two spellcasters in its Antimagic Cone at the same time for too long.

Don't get me wrong. A Beholder IS a threat for a even an epic spellcaster like Xykon that has to be dealt with, but it can be dealt with.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    I’m pretty sure the big reason most of us didn’t guess Sunny was because of that SRD thing... good gravy for
    Maybe
    Tbh I discounted it because when it appeared it didn’t have the Orange speech bubble
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Agreed, this was a scary reveal and Roy being down is Not GreatTMTM, but I don't think this is going to be a curb-stomp battle. Maybe give Belkar & Haley a chance to shine as non-magic focused martials?

I never in a million, billion years would've guessed the beholder from #32 could be the unexpected ally. If it's true, that would be an absolute delight!
    They can't see, Serini's still invisible, their magical bonuses and only their magical abilities are disabled, and Serini's got strong enough poisons to drop Roy and O-Chul with ease.

I guess Durkon still has his hammer if it's an artifact oh wait most of its abilities don't work without the belt and gauntlets which are negated by the AMF yeah they're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by TRH View Post
    "And this is where they'll use Bloodfeast again" feels like the new "And this is where Belkar dies," but it actually seems likely here, if only because the Order doesn't have to do anything other than get him out of their bag, and they don't have a ton of other options.
    Unless Rich ignores the rules that's literally impossible. The AMF means they can't take Bloodfeast out of the bag, since that's also magic.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

I hope that halfling gets her butt kicked hard.

I know she's epic level and running on selective information but I'm still kinda annoyed of her ruining the hero's plans from cleaning up HER TEAM'S MESS.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm
    Would Stone Shape have worked if Durkon had used it on the wall slightly to the left of the "door"?
    Probably not - if the stone is multidimensional it probably resists a lot of basic magic bypasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    So could someone tell me how a hypothetical fight between Xykon and Sunny would go? I don't see any exceptions in the antimagic field description to let a high level caster muscle through.
    As mentioned before it depends on how you read this line:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned. These creatures’ spell-like or supernatural abilities, however, may be temporarily nullified by the field.
    Xykon's spell-like and supernatural abilities are shut down but he might not be affected by this:
    The space within this barrier is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.
    Leaving him with actual spells as something that is not listed as shut down for corporeal undead like the other two.

Seperately if his spells are affected (they likely are) then he can fall back on spells that work in an antimagic zone - wall of force, prismatic sphere etc and any he has personally researched and it would be well worth his while to research some, he likely knows how good antimagic is at messing with casters and is prepared for it.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Reviewing it the beholder was foreshadowed.

Panel 1 the pictures have a beholder beside a small person.

Also interesting Serini has access to anti-magic on demand and still thinks Xykon is unbeatable - which might say a lot about how out of depth The Order are.
    Anti-magic doesn't work on Epic spellcasting, which Xykon has.

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    To be fair this also took down O-Chul, who probably has the best fortitude save this side of epic. She's just that good.
    Yeah it has to be a crazy dc. Dwarves will have no recourse either because their racial is what a +4? O'chul's with Paladin Saves is way higher than than above an average cleric's save.

7. - Top - End - #127

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    I’m pretty sure the big reason most of us didn’t guess Sunny was because of that SRD thing... good gravy for
    An "Eye Tyrant" has been in the sold for profit A Monster For Every Season (Winter) for a couple of years now, so I guess that should have been a clue that the SRD thing wasn't an ongoing problem.

Edit: oops, title correction
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2021-06-28 at 11:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Colossus in the Playground

Early Installment Weirdness.

The mind flayer didn't have a coloured speech bubble either:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html

but the carrion crawlers did.

Speech bubbles can also change. Malack the vampire didn't "speak white text on black background" all the time.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-06-28 at 11:54 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #129

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Unless Rich ignores the rules that's literally impossible. The AMF means they can't take Bloodfeast out of the bag, since that's also magic.
    The cone doesn't seem to cover the whole cavern, though, so Belkar could run out of it and open the bag. And Serini could well let him on the assumption that he's not a threat as a non-spellcaster who still can't see in here.

10. - Top - End - #130

BardGuy

Since the order are all clumped together in a rather narrow cave, they are all in one arc and Sunny can pretty easily keep all of them in the antimagic cone. However, Sunny's other eye rays are neutralized by the field, I can see a scenario in which Sunny alternates rounds with the antimagic and the other eye rays, which would produce a scenario where magic effects on the party toggle on and off. Such as:

The holding (?) effect on Elan
    V's Flight and Light spell
    The Baleful Polymorph on Bloodfeast
    all the various buffs on the Order
    and everything I'm forgetting

All of which could make for a pretty seriously chaotic scene, to which I'm very much looking forward

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
    This has been mentioned before of his three known epic spells Epic Mage Armour, Superb Dispelling and Cloister do you think he should cast if faced with an antimagic field?

Also antimagic does work on epic spells it just doesn't work as well.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzer View Post
    This is a child beholder, his final eyestalk hasn't sprouted yet.
    the one in 32 also had eight eyestalks!

and the generic avatar beholder for forums also has eight. may be a stylistic choice.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

13. - Top - End - #133

Well, not reliably.

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spel...AntimagicField

Antimagic field does not automatically suppress epic spells as it does standard spells. Instead, each time an epic spell is subject to an antimagic field, make a dispel check as a 20th-level caster (1d20 + 20). The epic spell has a DC of 11 + the epic spell’s spellcaster level. If the suppression check is successful, the epic spell is suppressed like any other spell. If the dispel check is unsuccessful, the epic spell functions normally.

It would depend on Xykon's level - but if Xykon was level 21, the Beholder would need to roll D20+20 and get 12 or higher, each time the epic spell was cast, to see if it suppressed the spell.

But if Xykon was level 30, it would be impossible for the Beholder to suppress any of Xykon's spells because the DC of the check would be 41.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Bugbear in the Playground

Belkar and Serini both keep giant monsters as friends and pets. They have more in common than I thought.
    Last edited by Fish; 2021-06-28 at 11:59 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

Reviewing it the beholder was foreshadowed.

Panel 1 the pictures have a beholder beside a small person.

Also interesting Serini has access to anti-magic on demand and still thinks Xykon is unbeatable - which might say a lot about how out of depth The Order are.
    did anyone in the 1226 thread notice this? O_O
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Probably not - if the stone is multidimensional it probably resists a lot of basic magic bypasses.
    I have no idea why people who presumably know about 3.5e keep equating "multidimensional" with "protects against literally anything because PWOT". I've brought this up multiple times and I likely will again, but considering how incorporeality/etherealness works it simply seems that it exists on the Ethereal Plane as well so you can't just cheese it with Ghostform.

As mentioned before it depends on how you read this line:

Seperately if his spells are affected (they likely are) then he can fall back on spells that work in an antimagic zone - wall of force, prismatic sphere etc and any he has personally researched and it would be well worth his while to research some, he likely knows how good antimagic is at messing with casters and is prepared for it.
    Yeah, that's not how it works. It just means that those creatures don't instantly fall over dead just because they're magical creatures. As for those spells, it just means once cast they don't shut off in an AMF, but once inside the area there's precisely one spell in the entire edition that can be cast in an AMF by default at all, and it's a 9th-level spell that only lasts a round and is tucked away in a corner of Lords of Madness.

Also sorcerers can't use spell research to learn more spells than they already know, there's a line about that in Ye Olde Peelee's SRD somewhere but I don't recall the specific section.

To be fair, the only epic spells we know Xykon knows are Cloister, Superb Dispelling, and presumably Epic Mage Armor. And Superb Dispelling can't get rid of the AMF due to it being a (Su) ability.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-06-28 at 12:03 PM.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

This has been mentioned before of his three known epic spells Epic Mage Armour, Superb Dispelling and Cloister do you think he should cast if faced with an antimagic field?

Also antimagic does work on epic spells it just doesn't work as well.
    I would be very surprised if an Epic spellcaster whose primary response to problems is "Kill it with raw power" does not have an offensive epic level spell. He hasn't bothered using it yet, or maybe he didn't think he needed one until after the Uber-Varsuuvius fight, but I suspect he has one now if he didn't then.

A single Hellball would easily 1 shot a beholder, and also probably anybody else in a 40 foot radius.

Plus as noted, Xykon is immune to poison and most of the Beholder's other rays, none of which can work without it turning off the AM field anyways. I don't think its bite even gets through his base Lich DR.

And even without an offensive epic spell, all he needs is to move out the area for 1 standard action and a Power Word Kill, Wail of the Banshee, Horrid Wilting or a number of other spells solves the problem.

18. - Top - End - #138

Plus as noted, Xykon is immune to poison and most of the Beholder's other rays, none of which can work without it turning off the AM field anyways. I don't think its bite even gets through his base Lich DR.
    He doesn't get his DR in the field - it's "Magic And Bludgeoning" - and any DR with "Magic" in it, is Supernatural.

Feb. 17, 2006 errata for the Monster Manual on page 1:

Damage Reduction

Damage Reduction is either extraordinary (Ex) or supernatural (Su). Use the following guidelines if it is not specified.

DR X/slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning should be (Ex)
    DR X/adamantine should be (Ex)
    DR X/— should be (Ex)
    DR X/silver or cold iron should be (Su)
    DR X/magic should be (Su)
    DR X/chaotic, lawful, holy, or unholy should be (Su)

Plus the Lich template itself explicitly says so:

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lich.htm

Damage Reduction (Su)
    A lich’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 15/bludgeoning and magic. Its natural weapons are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-06-28 at 12:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

GreenSorcererElf

I just checked, and a Lich's DR is a supernatural ability, so it actually gets suppressed by the AMF. Still, he does have other options, between an Epic blast spell that it would feel weird for him to not have, just walking away and casting anything, letting some of Redcloak's called outsiders do the fighting for him, or possibly even ignoring it entirely depending on how one interprets the clause about corporeal undead being unaffected.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I would be very surprised if an Epic spellcaster whose primary response to problems is "Kill it with raw power" does not have an offensive epic level spell. He hasn't bothered using it yet, or maybe he didn't think he needed one until after the Uber-Varsuuvius fight, but I suspect he has one now if he didn't then.

A single Hellball would easily 1 shot a beholder, and also probably anybody else in a 40 foot radius.

And even without an offensive epic spell, all he needs is to move out the area for 1 standard action and a Power Word Kill, Wail of the Banshee, Horrid Wilting or a number of other spells solves the problem.
    Yeah, here's the thing. Virtually all of the epic spells in the ELH are totally worthless because the DCs are too high. Hellball is one of those them.

I mean yeah, Xykon'd probably win against Serini's team because if this was an actual game then he'd be complete BS for the optimization level of the group, but even then it's less about him being epic and more about him being undead. An epic version of Redcloak would be much easier to fight with either the Order's or Team Serini's skillsets.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

First time seeing a Beholder in OOTS.
    Does he have a pet fish?
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

22. - Top - End - #142

BlackDragon

Yeah it has to be a crazy dc. Dwarves will have no recourse either because their racial is what a +4? O'chul's with Paladin Saves is way higher than than above an average cleric's save.
    Cleric's have a high fort save the same as a Paladin/Fighter

Not sure if this is more or less credible than the assumptions with the symbol of insanity way back when. On the one hand Paladins have bad will saves, on the other this is one Paladin who we know has bad Charisma and that was a whole room of Paladins.
    Last edited by goodpeople25; 2021-06-28 at 12:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I am speechless. Can barely wait for the next strip.

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Cleric's have a high fort save the same as a Paladin\Fighter

Not sure if this is more or less credible than the assumptions with the symbol of insanity way back when. On the one hand Paladins have bad will saves, on the other this is one Paladin who we know has bad Charisma and that was a whole room of Paladins.
    Xykon's Charisma is presumably in the low stratospheres. He was probably three times their average level and they probably used NPC budgets, and even then it seems like some of them made their saves.

So yeah.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #145

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    First time seeing a Beholder in OOTS.
    Does he have a pet fish?
    Technically not the first time, as way back when in Strip 32, when the lawyers take away the mind flayer, a beholder makes a cameo. That beholder may actually be Sunny, too.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by P. G. Macer View Post
    Technically not the first time, as way back when in Strip 32, when the lawyers take away the mind flayer, a beholder makes a cameo. That beholder may actually be Sunny, too.
    There was something about a character who only appeared in one panel so far playing a major part in this book I believe. Sunny hasn't appeared on-panel since then, as when the paladins were kidnapped Sunny was invisible.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    the one in 32 also had eight eyestalks!

and the generic avatar beholder for forums also has eight. may be a stylistic choice.
    Needs to be different and not called a beholder so that Serini doesn't get dragged off by the lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    There was something about a character who only appeared in one panel so far playing a major part in this book I believe. Sunny hasn't appeared on-panel since then, as when the paladins were kidnapped Sunny was invisible.
    Yes a VERY literal definition of "Appeared in only one strip." :) Well done GITP! I love that he was waiting 17 years for that phone call from them. :)
    Last edited by Skull the Troll; 2021-06-28 at 12:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Just a quick question or two:

Does Belkar still have lead sheet?
    Could he use it to block the effect of the anti magic eye cone?

Not that I think it will happen, but hey you never know!

29. - Top - End - #149

It's implied that some member of the Resistance got hold of it. Maybe they swiped it before he left Azure City?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0779.html

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Yes a VERY literal definition of "Appeared in only one strip." :) Well done GITP! I love that he was waiting 17 years for that phone call from them. :)
    FWIW I had the benefit of hindsight. And not even my hindsight, it's been mentioned earlier in this thread.

And somehow Riftwolf managed to call it before the strip came out and I have no idea how.

Extended sig here.