New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1238 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    And somehow Riftwolf managed to call it before the strip came out and I have no idea how.
    Corneel called it way back in 1226:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...r#post24940031
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-06-28 at 12:55 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #152
    Pixie in the Playground

Roy and V could really benefit from using less words sometimes.

I think it's a big stretch to call the #32 beholder a character, and I'd feel underwhelmed if that did turn out to be the new ally.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

To be fair, the only epic spells we know Xykon knows are Cloister, Superb Dispelling, and presumably Epic Mage Armor. And Superb Dispelling can't get rid of the AMF due to it being a (Su) ability.
    Wait, why are we assuming Epic Mage Armor?

Quote Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
    I would be very surprised if an Epic spellcaster whose primary response to problems is "Kill it with raw power" does not have an offensive epic level spell. He hasn't bothered using it yet, or maybe he didn't think he needed one until after the Uber-Varsuuvius fight, but I suspect he has one now if he didn't then.
    If he has 4 Epic spells, doesn't that mean he's at least level 36? IIRC, you only get 1 Epic spell slot per 10 points of Knowledge (arcana) you have (in Xykon's case I mean, I know Druids and Clerics get Nature or Religon) so he would need 40 ranks.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Corneel called it way back in 1226:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...r#post24940031
    Okay, but that's still like two people in among thousands and thousands of readers.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Wait, why are we assuming Epic Mage Armor?
    Because when O-Chul showed Roy Xykon's spell list there was a part cut off that seemed to be the first part of the name. And it's a spell he'd benefit from greatly.

If he has 4 Epic spells, doesn't that mean he's at least level 36? IIRC, you only get 1 Epic spell slot per 10 points of Knowledge (arcana) you have (in Xykon's case I mean, I know Druids and Clerics get Nature or Religon) so he would need 40 ranks.
    Spellcraft ranks are only for the spell slots. If you can meet the DCs and have the resources, you can research as many as you please even if you possibly couldn't cast them all in a day.

Edit II: Technically ninja'd damnit.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-06-28 at 12:59 PM.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Colossus in the Playground

You can know more spells than you can cast.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    You can know more spells than you can cast.
    Oh, I thought that was Spells Known, like a Sorcerer. It's been a while since I read the Epic Caster Rules.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I thought that was Spells Known, like a Sorcerer. It's been a while since I read the Epic Caster Rules.
    Sorcerers are limited in their (normal) spells known; even research doesn't get around that.

That being said they're much more flexible with epic spells as well as normal spells as they don't need to prepare those either.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    Any observation of the Order shows that Roy is vital to them acting in a coordinated way and maximising their abilities
    Though they've grown significantly; he's comfortable with getting drunk and going off to sleep it off, leaving them to handle things by themselves.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorcerers are limited in their (normal) spells known; even research doesn't get around that.
    Right, but I remembered it as you couldn't just WRITE epic spells down. They were all custom works of expanding spellcrafting beyond normal rules. SO everyone had to know them in their head like a Sorcerer rather than spellbooks or praying for it. And I remembered the number of spells you could know as being capped to a skill level, which apparently is wrong.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Needs to be different and not called a beholder so that Serini doesn't get dragged off by the lawyers.
    Thats debatable. Unfortunately, though, not on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Yes a VERY literal definition of "Appeared in only one strip."
    I'd disagree; it's really the only interpretation that makes any sense. If the strip where they were invisible and talked on panel counted as an appearance, then the only way the "appeared in only one page" would be if it was an entirely new character we'd never seen, in which case the author pointing that out is kind of useless.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm
    Would Stone Shape have worked if Durkon had used it on the wall slightly to the left of the "door"?
    Since the walls appear to be made out of watermelon shells, I'd say no.
    Okay, I know this is a story so the Giant isn't actually going to drop a TPK on them but this is another point on my list of "why OotS shouldn't be used as a guideline for being a DM". And here I thought Rich wasn't going to be doing that kind of fight much more, considering none of the fights in Utterly Dwarfed were that BS. The Battle of the Dining Room was mostly bad rolls. A beholder in an enclosed space that prevents the casters from getting out of its range and a rogue with poison strong enough to beat near-epic Fort saves.

Heck, I'd say they'd have better odds against Team Evil! Outside of the IFCC pulling V out of the fight or Team Evil figuring out the dungeon or some other outside force, the Order literally has no way to fight back and Serini has no intentions of listening to them so talking won't do much good either.
    It's almost like outside of games, one can never expect a fight they didn't plan for to be heavily skewed in their favour.
    Quote Originally Posted by KishouTheBadger View Post
    I hope that halfling gets her butt kicked hard.

I know she's epic level and running on selective information but I'm still kinda annoyed of her ruining the hero's plans from cleaning up HER TEAM'S MESS.
    While the Order of the Scribble didn't exactly do a stellar job, one had to remember:
    Number of Gates destroyed: Scribble 0, Stick 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatemansgc View Post
    did anyone in the 1226 thread notice this? O_O
    To be fair it mostly looks like a beholder when you know it's one, ot could have been any number of many-limbed creature.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    So if Sunny is her go-to monster, does that mean the dungeon is called Philadelphia?
    No, that means it's not Philadelphia, because there are lots of other monsters in the dungeon, and it's ALWAYS Sunny in Philadelphia.

13. - Top - End - #163

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
    I think it's a big stretch to call the #32 beholder a character, and I'd feel underwhelmed if that did turn out to be the new ally.
    I cant say anything either way about feeling underwhelmed, but the strip 32 Beholder is definitely a character. A super minor character, sure, but still a character.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    While the Order of the Scribble didn't exactly do a stellar job, one had to remember:
    Number of Gates destroyed: Scribble 0, Stick 2.
    Honestly, I count Dorukan and Lirian as at least having assists for the destruction of their Gates, given the former's self-destruct mechanism was responsible for destroying his, while the latter's was destroyed by her chosen guardians panicking and tearing it in half. They at least made it easy to destroy their Gates, which is exactly the kind of behavior Serini condemns.

15. - Top - End - #165

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Riftwolf, you are a genius.
    Wait, which thread are we linking here, the one where one of my guesses was the beholder from the early comic, or the one where I suggested Serini shuts down the Orders magic before attacking (and everyone going 'no way! Without magic a rogue is toast')?
    Let's just say today has been a day of great vindication for me :D
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-06-28 at 02:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I cant say anything either way about feeling underwhelmed, but the strip 32 Beholder is definitely a character. A super minor character, sure, but still a character.
    More like an actor, if you ask me. We never see 'em talk or act in-character.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Wait, which thread are we linking here, the one where one of my guesses was the beholder from the early comic, or the one where I suggested Serini shuts down the Orders magic before attacking (and everyone going 'no way! Without magic a rogue is toast')?
    Technically the former, but who said you can't be a genius for any number of tangentially related reasons?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
    Considering said ally only appeared on one page before this book, who wouldn't you consider "a stretch"?
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Something I noticed... Roy is holding his sword in his hand in panels 4 and 7, but in panel 6 we see him from behind with his sword strapped to his back.

Art typo, or did he put his sword away for a moment while they entered the cavern?
    Last edited by Gensan; 2021-06-28 at 02:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Lizardfolk

FWIW I had the benefit of hindsight. And not even my hindsight, it's been mentioned earlier in this thread.

And somehow Riftwolf managed to call it before the strip came out and I have no idea how.
    To be fair, I guess a lot of things. If Miss October turns up as well though I'm really gonna be insufferable :)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensan View Post
    Something I noticed... Roy is holding his sword in his hand in panels 4 and 7, but in panel 6 we see him from behind with his sword strapped to his back.

Art typo, or did he put his sword away for a moment while they entered the cavern?
    Most likely a mistake, something like this happened with Sigdi's axe back at the Dwarven Council.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #171

PirateWench

Maybe just the sheath that we don't normally see? Or didn't exist until just now? :)
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

22. - Top - End - #172

PirateWench

I don't know if it will matter now, but I just noticed both darts popped/fell out of Roy when he hit the floor.

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Having another thought: Why two darts for Roy?

For O'Chul and Lien, she only used one dart each.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Most likely a mistake, something like this happened with Sigdi's axe back at the Dwarven Council.
    I remember that happening now. Makes sense, thanks.
    Last edited by Gensan; 2021-06-28 at 02:27 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Probably because she learned her lesson that 1 dart on high-level adventurers doesn't take them down immediately. 1 round for Roy to think and strategize and maybe even attack is 1 round too many.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Roy probably got the O-Chull treatment. O-Chull made the first save and kept standing until the 1-minute second save. Aunty probably thought she didn't have time to wait that long round-2 and gave him a double to be sure.

Also what are the chances Roy's new improved temporal awareness is about to put the amnesia plan to the test?

My Homebrew.

Master Ref Of the Arena Tournament!
    Assorted Arena stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Arena Combatants: | Dense | Mad Al | Twang | De'Athbypro Xie

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Shouldn't Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator be regrowing about now?
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

27. - Top - End - #177

PirateWench

That big orange beanbag chair has to be Sunny's. And now I want to see him(her? it?) chilling in it. :D

28. - Top - End - #178
    Banned

SamuraiGuy

I think you also said the answer. Serini has learned that sometimes one dart is not enough to stop a bulky fighter immediately, so this time he used two for immediate effect.

I have another question myself: If Sunny is the same creature that appeared in comic #32 then why are the speech ballons different? Are Serini and Sunny affected by some spell/magic/whatever that transforms their voice ?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Shouldn't Bloodfeast the Extreme-inator be regrowing about now?
    As pointed out earlier in the thread, the anti-magic field from Sunny's gaze means they can't access anything inside of their Bags of Holding, so Bloodfeast is cut off from the effect that would end the Baleful Polymorph.

Now if Belkar can get out of the cone and remove Bloodfeast from the bag, that's another story...

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    As well it should be. I shall drink a coke in your honor tonight.