New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

mad My Reasons Why I Dislike TV Talk Shows So Much

A long time ago when I was young in my teenage years through adulthood in my 20s, I used to watch TV talk shows such as Jerry Springer, Maury, Steve Wilkos, Dr. Phil, and other TV talk shows which I used to like and find these shows entertaining. But as the years go by there something about these shows that I dislike so much. The reason was exploitation, ridicule, and abuse from these guests that they have to deal with these tyrant talk show hosts. I question myself "Is this even entertaining anymore?" So I decided to stop watching these talk shows. Also, I've crossed paths with a few people who used to be former guests on the talk show. They explained the type of toxic behavior that the talk show host treated them and they were being abused by the host. I do believe their word and I didn't know it was that horrific. My problem with TV Talk Shows that they exploiting guests for money and entertainment. I'm just so astounded why haven't these talk shows been canceled yet. This is the sad and horrible reality on TV talk shows and that's the reason why I dislike their shows so much.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-07-01 at 12:35 AM.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: My Reasons Why I Dislike TV Talk Shows So Much

Talk shows and reality TV are like a modern day ancient Colosseum. The common people are enraptured by the pageantry of conflict and human suffering.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Talk shows and reality TV are like a modern day ancient Colosseum. The common people are enraptured by the pageantry of conflict and human suffering.
    Exactly. This is the type of reasoning why I find talk shows and reality TV so depressing and sickening. You're right about that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

They don't get canceled because they rake in viewers and thus advertising dollars.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Heh, my talk show disenchantment goes back a little further, and I left them behind for a different reason. I won't link it - the clip is easy to find if you search - but it was the time Kiss was on Oprah, when she asked Gene Simmons how long his tongue was. After his response and her reaction, I was sure nothing was ever going to top that, and I haven't really paid any attention to those kinds of shows since.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Jerry Springer'a life story is vaguely like a Greek tragedy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

They were the precursors to modern reality TV.

Nowadays I prefer Reality TV that has a bit more of an objective or angle behind it. Not "here's a host and s/he is highlighting some goofy human drama" or "here's a house with a bunch of strangers and no TV, watch them drink/hook up/be at each other's throats." I'm more predisposed to shows like Shark Tank that are about a business pitch, or Judge Judy that is (vaguely) about legal proceedings. A forum where even with all the drama and spectacle I stand to learn something in other words.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    They don't get canceled because they rake in viewers and thus advertising dollars.
    They also have much lower production costs than a show with things like a script, actors, sets, location shoots, etc.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Nowadays I prefer Reality TV that has a bit more of an objective or angle behind it. Not "here's a host and s/he is highlighting some goofy human drama" or "here's a house with a bunch of strangers and no TV, watch them drink/hook up/be at each other's throats." I'm more predisposed to shows like Shark Tank that are about a business pitch, or Judge Judy that is (vaguely) about legal proceedings. A forum where even with all the drama and spectacle I stand to learn something in other words.
    Stuff like Pawn Stars and American Pickers was my drug of choice in that vein. I liked the assorted historical trivia mixed in with the staged drama and 'sales'.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Stuff like Pawn Stars and American Pickers was my drug of choice in that vein. I liked the assorted historical trivia mixed in with the staged drama and 'sales'.
    I used to love Cash in the Attic, a British show about people who wanted to sell some family heirlooms to raise money for a vacation or redecorating house or something similar. They'd get an antiques expert in and go through the house looking for interesting items to sell, and for each item you'd get the history of when/how it was made along with what it meant to the family in particular. Then they'd take the whole lot down to auction and see what they got for them.

Very soothing show, no artificial drama. Just the real drama of people wanting their great-grandfather's watch to do well at auction so they could send grandma to the Bahamas.

I got my fill of talk shows in the OP when living with my sister for one summer. She had no cable, only broadcast, so the only TV that was on in the day was crap like Maury and Jerry Springer. Maury was the worst, and I became truly horrified after one of those "did he cheat on you" lie detector segments. Naturally the lie detector came back that the boyfriend was cheating. The girlfriend got mad at the boyfriend and ran off in tears, and the boyfriend...got mad at the show. Not because they exposed him, but because they lied about the result. I'm not a great judge of character, but the way he acted made no sense if he really did it. It was so obvious the test was faked that even I could tell.

Haven't watched anything like that since. Stuff like Judge Judy is all right, but full on trash TV? Nope nope nope.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

They don't have to fake it. Lie detectors really aren't that accurate, especially if, as I'd guess you would be on a TV show you don't have long to do it. Really they're about as accurate as tossing a coin
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    They don't have to fake it. Lie detectors really aren't that accurate, especially if, as I'd guess you would be on a TV show you don't have long to do it. Really they're about as accurate as tossing a coin
    Heck, from what I've read they're less accurate. Like 30%
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-07-02 at 11:18 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

They're basically nervousness tests. That's about it.

I say as I get to go take one in like ten days.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    They're basically nervousness tests. That's about it.

I say as I get to go take one in like ten days.
    Lie back and think of Wonder Woman...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Yeah, those work in at least a little bit of a game show element. I honestly don't watch a ton of TV in general, but for bored watching, some degree of competition is a lot more fun than made up stuff just bashing on someone. That latter style gets exhausting and very unfun. I want at least a little potential for positivity.

Unfortunately, even some of those are fairly faked. The concepts of shows like House Hunters is fine in itself...exploring very different options and what not. But once you see past the gimmick and realize it's all faked, it loses any luster.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

For me, its very interesting how different the "Great British Baking Show" is from US reality shows. I was watching "Lego Masters" which has very similar premise (just Lego builds instead of cakes). But "Lego Masters" has flashing lights, loud noises, manufactured conflict, etc while the "Great British Baking Show" is over all very calming with these really nice nature shots in between scenes.

With both shows, I am extremely impressed with what the contestants create but I think they need to tone down "Lego Masters" a bit.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've mentioned Judge Judy in the past and I'll say it again. I've watched her show a few times and I really can't stand her because she's so abusive and toxic towards her guest also she is very biased about her verdict and decision when it comes to other people's court cases. I don't find her entertaining at all. Sorry but not sorry.