New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Keep on the Shadowfell IC

"More likely to distract us, in my rarely humble opinion," Gagan snorts. "Anyway, we're here now, might as well move forward. We can always come back to the mystery room when the more active parts of this pit have been cleared. Kalarel might be scrying on us right now and mustering his troops. Let's decide what to do with Mister Balgron here. Any objections to finding that lockup and tucking him away? Then we can just retrieve him on the way out, turn him over to the town."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

(OOC: You know that the room Splug was locked up in is the room that connects to both the door east out of this room and the northern hallway of the entrance. Retrieving the keys for the cells there would be trivial.

EDIT ADDITION: I was waiting for someone to vocally note non-objection, but it’s been long enough I think anyone who had an objection would have spoken already. Feel free to start planning what you do after locking Balgron in a cell, including details like how you do your next move.)
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-05-18 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Vocally note expectation of answer.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Turning the key to lock Balgron in, Gagan picks up his lantern and asks his compatriots, "Anyone have anything to do before we move on? Sounds like some kind of undead are up next, so be ready."

Current games list

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    (OOC: You know that the room Splug was locked up in is the room that connects to both the door east out of this room and the northern hallway of the entrance. Retrieving the keys for the cells there would be trivial.

EDIT ADDITION: I was waiting for someone to vocally note non-objection, but it’s been long enough I think anyone who had an objection would have spoken already. Feel free to start planning what you do after locking Balgron in a cell, including details like how you do your next move.)
    Elmo, having been quiet and mostly just observing the interaction between the goblins and the more persuasive and coercive of his companions, pipes up to agree with Gagan. "The undead will cower before the light of Pelor. We can free this 'Splug'" - here he shudders slightly to even have such a name cross his lips - "along the way through the entrance room. I doubt he can tell us anything but neither should we let him die here. He'd probably just turn into another undead himself."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't expect him to pull his weight though," Vuthan muses. "Oh well, lets see the leech."

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Elmo, having been quiet and mostly just observing the interaction between the goblins and the more persuasive and coercive of his companions, pipes up to agree with Gagan. "The undead will cower before the light of Pelor. We can free this 'Splug'" - here he shudders slightly to even have such a name cross his lips - "along the way through the entrance room. I doubt he can tell us anything but neither should we let him die here. He'd probably just turn into another undead himself."
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    "I don't expect him to pull his weight though," Vuthan muses. "Oh well, lets see the leech."
    (OOC: Splug was in one of the cells found in the room you're locking Balgron in, and the rest of the goblins took him with them when leaving. Sorry not explicitly stating that, I overestimated how clear it would be. I've put a map of this floor on the battle map to help make things clearer, and placed Balgron's token in a cell to show you where the cells are. He is in one, after all.

The whole floor map isn't to scale with your character tokens.

EDIT ADD 1: I'm waiting for a posted answer to the question Gagan posed earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Turning the key to lock Balgron in, Gagan picks up his lantern and asks his compatriots, "Anyone have anything to do before we move on? Sounds like some kind of undead are up next, so be ready."
    ...as well as details about how you're advancing into that room if desired. Feel free to ask for a description of the southwest door in area 1 if you need it.

EDIT ADD 2: sandmote asked, so...)

The other door leading somewhere you haven't been is a made out of stone of a lighter color than the walls, like most of the other doors in the keep. Some skid marks in the floor imply it sees regular use.

Spoiler: For those who make a DC 12 perception check
    Show
    You don't find any traps, but you can smell something nasty on the other side.

Spoiler: For those who make a DC 16 perception check
    Show
    You can place the smell as that of a dead body.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-05-22 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Add description of SW>
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

7. - Top - End - #277

DwarfClericGuy

"Someone opens the door and Gagan fills the room with fire? Sarathi readies to push anything back that comes out of the door? Elmo and Vuthan open fire? I guess that means I have to be the one to open the door."

Drang prepares to open the door toward himself when everyone else is ready.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

As the party approaches the door, he scrunches his face and gags a bit, "someone's failed to clean up their kill, smells like."

He takes up a position near the front of he door, preparing to burst through once Drang gets it open.

9. - Top - End - #279

Those who take the lead and charge down the discolored stairs find only darkness and the odor of damp decay. To the south, you can hear humanoid feet shuffling about in an inhumanoid manner, and to the north you can see a rune etched onto the floor.

(OOC: Which direction? Note that the only light sources in this room are yours.)
    Link to true signature

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan takes point, descending down the stairs swiftly to the edge of the wall. Once someone brings down a light he points to the rune.

Spoiler: Rolls, if necessary
    Show
    (1d20+10)[18] perception, including the +1 bonus from whichever ally it was, to spot the rune.
    (1d20-2)[4] stealth, given he might actually fail a DC 0 check to avoid drawing the attention of whatever is shuffling around.

11. - Top - End - #281

Whatever's in the room to the south doesn't seem to notice Vuthan's entry, and keeps shuffling about.

You're able to take a closer look at the rune. (OOC: An image has been added to the battle map). It doesn't seem to be trapped in a mundane manner, but that's no guarantee of safety.
    Link to true signature

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Elmo also descends to the bottom of the stairs, being stealthy and watchful.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show
    (1d20+11)[27] for Stealth and (1d20+13)[26] for Perception.

He waits until the others are in position, saying "Be ready." Rather than curse the darkness, he uncovers his everburning torch carefully and holds it up, knowing it may attract attention from whatever is down here. He's not initially sure what to make of the runes but he's pretty sure it can wait until after the "whatever" is dealt with.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi follows, letting those with better vision in the dark take the lead.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Once down the stairs, Gagan looks where Vuthan is pointing and furrows his brow at the rune. He stage-whispers, "I'll check that for magic. Keep an ear on those sounds." He wrinkles his nose at the pervasive stench and starts concentrating, slowly swirling the end of his staff in the air with one hand while the other holds his lantern loosely.

Spoiler: Arcana stuff
    Show
    Two things, here.

If the rune happens to qualify as a phenomenon like "glowing runes on a cavern wall [or] an eldritch sign glimmering on an altar", it's a standard action to try to identify it (hard DC of the phenomenon's level). Arcana (d20+7)[9], but if that isn't at least 20, I'll reroll for (d20+7)[19] instead.

Regardless of the result of that, I'd like to sense for the presence of magic in the area generally. Standard action, hard DC of my level (=20). Like before, if the initial roll of (d20+7)[16] doesn't hit 20, I'll reroll for (d20+7)[10]. On a success, Gagan senses magic up to 7 squares away, learns its power source, and pinpoints it if it happens to be in line of sight.

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #285

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Elmo also descends to the bottom of the stairs, being stealthy and watchful.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show
    [roll0] for Stealth and [roll1] for Perception.

He waits until the others are in position, saying "Be ready." Rather than curse the darkness, he uncovers his everburning torch carefully and holds it up, knowing it may attract attention from whatever is down here. He's not initially sure what to make of the runes but he's pretty sure it can wait until after the "whatever" is dealt with.
    Bringing the light down doesn't prompt a reaction from what you can now tell are a group of zombies. You can see them around the corner, apparently incognizant of anything not in the hallway in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Once down the stairs, Gagan looks where Vuthan is pointing and furrows his brow at the rune. He stage-whispers, "I'll check that for magic. Keep an ear on those sounds." He wrinkles his nose at the pervasive stench and starts concentrating, slowly swirling the end of his staff in the air with one hand while the other holds his lantern loosely.

Spoiler: Arcana stuff
    Show
    Two things, here.

If the rune happens to qualify as a phenomenon like "glowing runes on a cavern wall [or] an eldritch sign glimmering on an altar", it's a standard action to try to identify it (hard DC of the phenomenon's level). Arcana [roll0], but if that isn't at least 20, I'll reroll for [roll1] instead.

Regardless of the result of that, I'd like to sense for the presence of magic in the area generally. Standard action, hard DC of my level (=20). Like before, if the initial roll of [roll2] doesn't hit 20, I'll reroll for [roll3]. On a success, Gagan senses magic up to 7 squares away, learns its power source, and pinpoints it if it happens to be in line of sight.
    Gagan's able to recognize that the runes are something magical, but not what they do. He doesn't sense any other magic in the area.
    Link to true signature

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Gagan grunts. "The symbols radiate magic, but what they do is beyond me. So. Who wants to burn some shufflers?"

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #287

After a bit of discussion, you agree to attack the zombies. While they aren't taken by complete surprise at your presence, they're still moving slow enough that you're sure to strike first.

Spoiler: OOC - Battle Begins
    Show
    Link to the initiative rolls.

Everyone will place themselves within the green L-Shape on the battle map, then take their turn. Then, the zombies will take their turns.

The room doesn't have any light sources within it, so be careful about what you have in hand.

Spoiler: If one of the PCs touches a rune...
    Show
    it releases a ghostly scream that tries to strike terror into you. You, and each other party member in 10 squares, take the following attack:
    +7 (base) vs Will
    Because the number of people affected is unknown, the person who activated the trap must make the attack rolls.
    Hit: (1d4+1)[3] necrotic damage, and immediately perform a run action (move your speed + 2, but grant combat advantage until the start of your next turn) moving towards this room's southern exit.

Spoiler: If a zombie touches a rune...
    Show
    nothing happens, which may have interesting implications.

Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-06-04 at 10:24 PM.
    Link to true signature

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Hearing no cries of "No! Stop! Those zombies are surely innocent," Gagan steps around the corner to release a flame-blast deep in the nearby room. "Wup, that's not going to get them all. One of you blade-wielders want to step in?" he asks.

Current games list

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Elmo rounds the corner with his torch and calls down holy fire on one of the walking corpses. "Dust to dust," he murmurs, as he stretches out his hand in its direction and it crumbles to ash.

Spoiler: OOC - Sun strike
    Show
    At-Will Divine Implement Radiant; Standard Action, Ranged 10. Target 1 creature, Wis vs. Ref. Hit: 1d8+Wis radiant damage and slide target 1 square.

Wis vs. Ref: (1d20+6)[12] for (1d8+5)[6] radiant damage against R1 (Ref 9)

The two zombies at the far side of the room are right at the edge of the bright light cast from the torch and will be in it if they step closer. Elmo is almost as emotionless as they are as he rids the dungeon of their contamination.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2022-06-08 at 10:38 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan follows behind Elmo, striding past as his ally calls down the cleansing flame. "I'll run it through the old fashioned way, then," he muses as he swings his weapon against the nearest undead.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move Action: moves
    Regular Action: Weight of Earth, (1d20+9)[20] targeting R3. If R3 is mislabeled, (1d8+4)[8] damage and its slowed until the end of the next turn. Otherwise, 13 is the AC to beat.

21. - Top - End - #291

DwarfClericGuy

Drang strides in overconfidently and readies an action to call upon the power of his holy Lord to destroy the undead abominations when Z1 and Z2 approach within close burst two.

Spoiler: Against Z1
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19]
    (1d10+4)[11]

Spoiler: Against Z2
    Show
    (1d20+6)[18]
    (1d10+4)[7]

Spoiler: Against R2
    Show
    (1d20+6)[9]
    (1d10+4)[5]

Spoiler: Against R4
    Show
    (1d20+6)[15]
    (1d10+4)[7]

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi charged foward, rushing the tougher looking guards in the back. Better to hold the chokepoint while the rest cleared out the chaff.

Gnoll racial: +2 damage on charge
    Crushing surge on charge vs Z1: (d20+9)[23] vs AC, 8 temp HP on hit, 4 temp HP on miss, marked, (1d7+7)[11] damage on hit.
    Iron wolf charge (if charge hits) (d6)[2] extra damage to Z1, burst 2 vs will
    Vs Z1: (d20+4)[5] vs will, on hit -2 to targets attack rolls and push 1 space.
    Vs Z2: (d20+4)[24] vs will, on hit -2 to targets attack rolls and push 1 space.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Reaction if combat challange triggers
    Show

If triggered by an attack on someone other than me: Brash strike for +2 to hit and +4 damage
    Otherwise, melee basic- (d20+8)[25] vs AC, (d7+5)[10] +2 damage if I still have temp HP

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Zishu walks forth and attacks R4 with his sword by shooting Radiant Vengeance.

Spoiler
    Show

RadiantVengence - (1d20+7)[21] Vs Reflex, regain Temp hp back to 4
    dam - (1d8+7)[14] Radiant damage

25. - Top - End - #295

The zombies in sight of you begin striking back, rushing the nearest target. Sarathi blocks an attempt to slam, but the other adjacent zombie clasps their dead arm around him hard enough to keep him in place. Two more attack Drang, the second failing to follow up the first's successful hit. The last zombie you can see slams into Vuthan hard enough to make it hurt.

The noise of the battle echoes through the dark hallways, potentially alerting enemies you can't see to your presence.

Spoiler: OOC - Game Actions
    Show
    R10's turn
    Move: Walk three spaces west and one space south.
    Standard: Walk four spaces south.

R9's turn
    Move: Walk a space north, a space northwest, and two spaces east.
    Standard: Walk a space east and three spaces south.

R8's turn
    Move: Walk four spaces east.
    Standard: Walk a space east, a space southeast, and two spaces south.

R7's turn
    Move: Walk three spaces southwest and a space south.

R6's turn
    Move: Walk two spaces southwest and two spaces south.

Z3's turn
    Move: Walk two spaces southeast and two spaces east.
    Standard: Walk two spaces southeast a space south.

Z4's turn
    Move: Walk a space west and three spaces south.
    Standard: Walk four spaces east.

Z2's turn
    Move: Walk one space north.
    Standard: Slam into Sarathi.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[17] (base) vs AC. Miss.
    Hit: (2d6+2)[12] damage.

Z1's turn
    Standard: Try to grab Sarathi.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[21] (base) vs Fortitude (higher than Reflex, same sizes). Hit.
    Hit: Sarathi is grabbed (until successful escape action or failure to sustain on Z1's part).

R1's turn
    Standard: Slam into Drang.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[23] (base) vs AC. Hit.
    Hit: 5 damage.

R2's turn
    Move: Walk one space west.
    Standard: Slam into Drang.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[9] (base) vs AC. Miss.

R2's turn
    Move: Walk one space northeast.
    Standard: Slam into Vuthan.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[23] (base) vs AC. Hit.

Everyone will take a turn, then the zombies will take a turn. As a reminder, grabbing has been modified by the house rules.

Spoiler: If one of the PCs touches a rune...
    Show
    it releases a ghostly scream that tries to strike terror into you. You, and each other party member in 10 squares, take the following attack:
    +7 (base) vs Will
    Because the number of people affected is unknown, the person who activated the trap must make the attack rolls.
    Hit: (1d4)[4] necrotic damage, and immediately perform a run action (move your speed + 2, but grant combat advantage until the start of your next turn) moving towards this room's southern exit.

Spoiler: If a zombie touches a rune...
    Show
    nothing happens, which may have interesting implications.

Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-06-15 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Added notes about why the defense being used is getting used to the grapple as a reminder about the grappling houserules.
    Link to true signature

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Eyeballing the shambling mob dispassionately, Gagan steps closer to the room and blasts again, aiming a tightly focused beam at the arm of the zombie holding Sarathi.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Move action:Walk south 2 squares
    Standard action: Elemental bolt on Z1. (d20+9)[27] vs Reflex 9. Minimum 12 damage and it's only got 11 hp left.

"Hands off!" he quips, amused despite the rather horrific situation of the dead walking. After just a brief moment, the separated arm follows the zombie to the floor.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2022-06-13 at 02:02 PM.

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan whips his blade out at the zombie that injured Drang then turns his attention back on the one that hit him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Action: (1d20+9)[25] thorn strike, (1d8+4)[11] and pull the target 1 on a hit.
    Free Action: Mark R4

Edit: Move action: Vuthan shifts 1
    Spoiler: If R1 moves
    Show
    attack of opportunity: (1d20+9)[14] for (1d8+4)[8] damage.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-06-14 at 12:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Elmo strides forward so that everybody is in the torchlight, and waves his holy symbol at the closer zombie. The flame descends just to the right of the zombie but the elf squints and shifts his symbol slightly, and the zombie ends up crispy after all. It seems especially vulnerable to Pelor's radiance.

Spoiler: Sun Strike again
    Show
    At-Will Divine Implement Radiant; Standard Action, Ranged 10. Target 1 creature, Wis vs. Ref. Hit: 1d8+Wis radiant damage and slide target 1 square. (1d20+6)[7] at Z1 for (1d8+5)[7] radiant (so plus 5 extra damage from being Vulnerable, for 12 total).
    Last edited by Archemist; 2022-06-14 at 01:24 AM.

29. - Top - End - #299

DwarfClericGuy

Disappointed that his readied action didn't get triggered, Drang tries to hit the walking corpse with his battleaxe.
    Spoiler: Axetime
    Show
    [roll0]

30. - Top - End - #300

DwarfClericGuy

[QUOTE=Phantom Genius;25494359]Disappointed that his readied action didn't get triggered, Drang tries to hit the walking corpse with his battleaxe.
    (1d20+5)[24]