New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Into the Keep on the Shadowfell IC

Elmo quickly ducks behind the closest pillar on the left and takes aim. He motions to the others to also take cover.

Elmo fires a quick shot off at the humanoid with the poker, keeping the pillar between himself and the goblin with the javelins. He summons up the ancestral spirits' energy that resides in his bow and hopes it keeps that hot poker far away. He's had enough of burns and sadistic cultists for sure.

Spoiler: OOC - Grappling Spirits
    Show
    It's a Wis vs. AC attack on target "T": (1d20+7)[27] and on a hit the target takes (1d10+5)[8] damage from the arrow and is Slowed and can't Shift until the end of his next turn. Edited to add: well that's a Crit! Off to a good start. That's 15 damage since the die is maximized, I believe.

And that DC15 Perception check: (1d20+13)[29] As a side-note, remember that elves grant Group Awareness to nearby allies within 5 squares as a +1 to Perception checks.

Elmo's arrow finds a gap in the big guy's armor, right in the elbow of his left arm.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-08-03 at 12:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Zishu stats in square at bottom of stairs then draws his sword as a free action due to Fast Hands, he looks at spear holding goblin, "Time to show you some fun", he slashes into the air, sending forth a blast of sword beam [Radiant Vengeance] before behind pillar to east.

Hurting his foe makes Zishu more durable. Next turn he can go into melee maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show

DC 15 Perception (1d20+11)[17] including the +1 from elven awareness.

Radiant Vengeance vs Reflex (1d20+7)[20], damage (1d8+7)[11] and I gain temp hp 4

The sword blasts reaches through the air into the chest of the goblin wounding him slightly.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Icon
    Show
    I moved the Drang icon to the stairs and he disappeared. Maybe it will look right when I reboot...

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    Show
    I moved the Drang icon to the stairs and he disappeared. Maybe it will look right when I reboot...
    Spoiler
    Show

When that happens to me, I push edit/Undo last action, but I fear it saved it since you took too long to undo it.
    Will need the DM to add it again I think.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

"Trap in the middle, Gagan, you said?" He starts going partway around, then hurls a Javalin at the goblin on the other side of the room.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+7)[25] to hit and (1d6+4)[9] damage. This is targeting 'W,' in case that wasn't clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    Show
    Spoiler: Using the page
    Show
    Happened to me as well. If this happens again, try right clicking the images and use the "order" options to move them forward and back so your icon is in front. Or select an image and hold control, then use the up and down arrow keys to get the same result.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Gagan nods to Vuthan as the goliath starts stepping around the problem area. "About here," he says, scraping the foot of his staff along the floor as he moves forward. Then the dragonborn swings the 'business end' of the staff around at the taller creature and shouts with bone-rattling volume, "You!" A white-hot bolt launches out of the staff toward the slow-moving humanoid.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Move action to walk as indicated. Minor action to tag T as my bravo's prey. Standard action will be an elemental bolt at T: (d20+11)[26] to hit Reflex of 14 for (d12)[6] plus (d6+12)[17]. (On crit, max all that and add (d10)[4].) If that's a hit but not a kill, tack on hellfire heart for 5 damage, also imposing -2 to attack rolls that include me EOMNT.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #37

The tall, orange one trudges forwards despite the beating you've given him and the spirits at his heels, declaring that "I won't die without leaving a scorch mark!" His armor begins to soak up the blood from his wounds once he finishes speaking, thickening in the process. However, the wounds themselves remain open.

Seeing this, the goblin on the other side of the room from you falls back. Just before he ducks into the other room, he takes a potshot at Sarathi which goes wide. Two other goblins wielding crossbows enter sight of the hallway, attempting to follow up with crossbow shots, but she deftly blocks them.

Hearing the commotion, a third crossbow wielding goblin sneaks under the curtain in the eastern hallway. Quickly recognizing the hostilities going on, he sneaks a crossbow bolt past the hallway's corner and into Gagan.

Spoiler: Game Actions
    Show
    T's turn
    Minor: Invoke the power of his armor to gain resist all 10 until the end of his next turn.
    Move: Walk one space northeast and one space east.
    Standard: Ready an action.
    Spoiler: When an enemy enters a space adjacent to him...
    Show
    he'll attack that enemy with his hot poker.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[20] ± any relevant modifiers vs. AC.
    Hit: (1d8+4)[10] fire damage, plus 2 ongoing fire damage (Save ends; Skill cure: Heal DC 13 minor action)

W's turn
    Minor: Pull a javelin from his back.
    Move: Walk five spaces south.
    Standard: Make a mobile ranged attack.
    First, throw a javelin at Sarathi
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[7] (base) vs. AC. Miss.
    Hit: (2d6+2)[9] damage
    Second, walk two spaces east.

S1's turn
    Minor: Ready his crossbow.
    Move: Walk four spaces east.
    Standard: Shoot Sarathi using a crossbow.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[11] (base) vs. AC. Miss.
    Hit: (1d8+4)[10] damage

S2's turn
    Move: Walk two spaces northeast, then one space east.
    Standard: Shoot Sarathi using a crossbow.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[15] (base) vs. AC. Miss.
    Hit: (1d8+4)[12] damage

S3's turn
    Move: Walk six spaces north, passing under the curtain.
    Standard: Shoot Gagan using a crossbow.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[25] (+9 base -2 cover) vs. AC. Hit.
    Hit: (1d8+4)[7] damage

Everyone will take their turns in the order of your choice, then the remaining enemies will take their turns. Enemy readied actions are resolved like any other enemy reaction, where I preroll any necessary rolls and leave resolution of the effect to the player who provokes it.

Spoiler: When a melee attack misses W or S1-3...
    Show
    they shift one space away from the person who performed the attack.

Spoiler: When any creature steps on the four tiles in the center of the northern room, surrounded by the pillars...
    Show
    they fall into the pit trap set there. This modifies the battle map, so I'll have to adjudicate the details myself.

Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-02-10 at 01:30 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"You're go-- GAHH!" Gagan shouts as the bolt pierces him. As he moves back to get the sneaky attacker into clear view, he continues his taunt: "You're going to be a scorch mark!" The dragonborn fires off fiery bolts at both targets in quick succession, one-two.

Show
    I'm moving a bit down the hall so the goblin doesn't get cover from me, then using elemental escalation to shoot twice.
    elemental bolt vs T: (d20+11)[30] to hit Reflex 14, dealing (after accounting for armor) (d12)[4] + (d6)[6] + (d10+2)[8]
    elemental bolt vs S3: (d20+9)[22] to hit Reflex 16, dealing (d12)[12] + (d6)[4] + (d10+10)[20]

If one of 'em crits, (d10)[5] added damage.

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan hurries down the hall, careful to avoid giving the goblins an easy target. "Afraid of attacking the well armored?" Vuthan seems steeled for an attack against him.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Taking a double move (don't think I have the movement to run+charge) and using Stone's Endurance. Vuthan has resist 5 all until the end of his next turn.

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

"I have your back, Vuthan! Don't forget the pit trap, Sarathi..." Drang points to it and takes the circuitous (A word he doesn't know) route around it. "Come on!"

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Double move and peeking around corner.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

"Pit trap? Those are easy, just need to hop the corners..." Sarathi blithly strides foward, reaching out for the pillar for support as she steps over where she thinks the pit is...

(fails a DC:5 athletics check)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    "Pit trap? Those are easy, just need to hop the corners..." Sarathi blithly strides foward, reaching out for the pillar for support as she steps over where she thinks the pit is...
    "Is this how it happened the first time?" Elmo asks. He fires off a quick shot at the goblin down the hall and then dives forward to lie at the edge of the pit, peering down and offering to help Sarathi back up, reaching with his bow if needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[22] vs AC for S1. (1d10+5)[15] piercing damage on a hit, and S1 will be slowed, can't shift. And Elmo is prone now, fwiw.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Zishu rushes forth to (2 down 2 to the left two down beside the pillar toward the enemy), "try this on for size" Zishu waves his hand and blast magic energy at S1 [Shared Madness].

Spoiler
    Show

hit - (1d20+7)[19] vs Will AC
    dam - (1d10+4)[14] Psychic damage.

If I hit, S2 also takes the damage

14. - Top - End - #44

(fails a DC:5 athletics check)
    Sarathi's foot lands just a little short, and the sudden downward lurch of leading foot throws her off balance enough to make the rest of her body follow. Stone-colored canvas gives way to reveal a small pit now filled with sharp spikes. The wide-ranging painful impact of landing is quickly followed by pinpoint injury from the spikes, but she's felt worse before.

Sarathi takes (1d10)[2] falling damage, then (1d8)[2] damage from the spikes for a total of 4 damage.

Show
    The pit hidden by the trap is 10 feet (2 spaces) deep, meaning that if you fall in you take 1d10 falling damage and fall prone unless that damage is prevented.

A DC 15 Athletics check is required to climb out of the pit.

The spaces within the pit have been filled with sharpened spikes. Those who enter those spaces (including falling into them), move from one spike filled space to another, or fail to the athletics check to climb out of the pit take 1d8 damage. This damage can only be taken once per turn.

It's possible to grab someone in the pit to pull them out, but only barely. The distance is far enough that they'll have to stretch their arm out as an action to make it possible to grab (standard action) and subsequently drag (move action) them.

Sarathi will take his remaining standard action and minor action, and then the remaining goblins will take their turns.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-02-10 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Wording updates now that I've seen the roll results.
    Link to true signature

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

As a minor, Sarathi tosses her shield up, then attempts the athletics check without the ACP.
    (d20+3)[10]

16. - Top - End - #46

The goblin closest to the east door kicks it open while talking to his allies and preparing his spear to meet a charge. He seems unfazed about being outnumbered.

Spoiler: For those who know the Goblin language
    Show
    "Go warn Balgron about these intruders! I'll make sure the Goliath can't follow you."

One of the crossbow wielders takes off at run through the door, leaving Vultan's sight only to end up in just short of the door in Gagan's sight. He's clearly surprised to see someone in that hallway.

The other crossbow wielder unleashes a yell followed by a shot at Vuthan that hits so hard as to make it seem like his armor is nonexistent. Sheer endurance lets him shrug it off like it was just an ordinary hit even though it drew a little blood.

Show
    W's Turn:
    Minor: Open door.
    Move: Wield spear.
    Standard: Ready an action.
    Spoiler: When one of his enemies enters a space adjacent to him...
    Show
    he'll stab at them with a spear.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[26] ± any relevant modifiers vs. AC. Critical hit!
    Hit: (1d6+2)[3] 8 damage.

S2's turn
    Move: Run two spaces northeast, four spaces east, then a space northeast.
    Standard: Run two spaces northeast, five spaces north, then a space northeast.

S1's turn
    Standard: Shoot at Vuthan with a crossbow.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[29] (base) vs. AC. Critical hit!
    Hit: (1d8+4)[11] 12 damage (reduced to 7 by the resist 5).
    Move: Walk two spaces west.

Everyone will take their turn, then any remaining enemies will take their turn. As a reminder, you're expected to update your own statuses on the battle map as well as your enemies' status upon both the start and end of an effect. The text box where player statuses are show is at the top of the drawing, just to the right of the map image.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2021-08-11 at 02:05 AM.
    Link to true signature

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi can easilly reach the edge of the pit, the problem is doing a pullup in full armor.
    (d20+3)[7]

"A little help here?"
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2021-08-11 at 03:44 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Sarathi can easilly reach the edge of the pit, the problem is doing a pullup in full armor.

"A little help here?"
    The elf and his bow reach down to give her a pull.

Spoiler: Athletics, etc
    Show
    Sure, I'll just pull her up (or try to) with my Move and Standard. Athletics as needed: (1d20+1)[10]

Well, not a lot of glory to be had here. I'll take it, though, since I did max damage both the other turns so far. And you guys have the goblins on the run just fine.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-08-11 at 04:49 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    The elf and his bow reach down to give her a pull.

Spoiler: Athletics, etc
    Show
    Sure, I'll just pull her up (or try to) with my Move and Standard. Athletics as needed: [roll0]

Well, not a lot of glory to be had here. I'll take it, though, since I did max damage both the other turns so far. And you guys have the goblins on the run just fine.
    (actually, if I 'm reading it right, you just passed the Grapple Combat tuturial, and I'm out of the hole, no athletics check needed. Just grab, and drag.)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

(actually, if I 'm reading it right, you just passed the Grapple Combat tuturial, and I'm out of the hole, no athletics check needed. Just grab, and drag.)
    Show
    Sounds good - yeah, I'd noticed after-the-fact that no roll was theoretically required, but eh, I just let it stay there. You're out... but maybe not super gracefully.

With a stoic grunt, Elmo helps heft Sarathi up out of the pit.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-08-11 at 07:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Zishu moves beside W and swings his sword at him, "You'll not get away." first turning his weapon to ice then 2 handed his sword for extra 1 damage. [Bond of Retribution]

Spoiler
    Show

Free action turn all weapon to Cold damage.
    uses Oath of enmity as minor to gain melee roll attack twice, choosing better of two.
    attack - (1d20+9)[19]
    attack - (1d20+9)[24]
    (1d10+7)[13], all cold damage.

Deals 5 radiant damage if an enemy other than the target hits or misses the me before the end of the user's next turn.

Oath of emnity lasts until the end of the encounter or until the target drops to 0 hit points, at which point I regain the use of this power.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Gagan blasts a ray of fire at the surprised goblin, and though the damage is severe, it's not a killing blow. He rushes toward the same door the goblin seems to be reaching for, trying to keep it closed or blocked at all cost.

Spoiler: the rest of my actions
    Show
    I'm going to rush around the goblin to block the door with my body (if the hinges are on this side) or grab the handle (if it swings away). Doing so provokes an OA from the goblin -- I don't have any way to avoid that.

If I need an Athletics check to hold the door shut: (d20+1)[8]

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

"You'll pay for that," Vuthan winched slightly at the blow, to his own annoyance. He brings down his weapon against the goblin, his girth drawing its attention.

Show
    Weight of Earth: (1d20+9)[13]. On a hit deals (1d8+4)[11] and goblin is slowed until the end of his next turn.
    Also using Nature's Wrath to mark, however we're fluffing that.

Not sure how we're doing this, but:

Opportunity attack if the goblin walks away or makes a ranged attack: (1d20+9)[22] for (1d8+4)[7]
    Warden's Fury: (1d20+9)[23] for (1d8+4)[6] & target grants advantage until end of next turn.

24. - Top - End - #54

As Gagan moves to get in the goblin's way, he sees the opening he can't take full advantage of it because his crossbow isn't loaded. In an act of desperation, he tries to whack Gagan with it, but doesn't get anywhere close to hitting.

Spoiler: Opportunity Attack
    Show
    Using a crossbow as an improvised melee weapon.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+3)[8] (+3 base) vs AC. Miss.
    Damage: (1d4+2)[3] damage

Going to start explicitly tracking what enemies have in their hands on the battle map so I don't lose track in the future.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2021-08-15 at 02:59 AM.
    Link to true signature

25. - Top - End - #55

DwarfClericGuy

Drang strides aggressively down the hall, having two bigger targets ahead of him.

"You!" He points at S1. "Burn in Clangeddin's Sacred Flame!"

Spoiler: Fire When Ready
    Show
    (1d20+6)[9]
    (1d6+3)[4]

"Hold still, blast you!" as the flame goes poof on the floor.
    Last edited by Phantom Genius; 2021-08-18 at 04:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56

The goblin Vuthan's engaged with recognizes his inability to escape and changes weapons accordingly, stowing his crossbow and pulling a shortsword in its place. With it, he manages to leave a cut on Vuthan, although not a large one.

The goblin next to Zishu replies to him closes the door behind him as he replies, "I might not, but someone else will!" His remark is followed by a spear stab fast enough to land.

However, Gagan's efforts have made the warrior's words less true than he hopes. The goblin in the eastern corridor has to back off a bit to get enough space to safely fire at him. Even though the shot connects, it's not strong enough to make Gagan stop obstructing the goblin's path forward.

Show
    S2's turn
    Move: Shift a space west.
    Minor: Load crossbow.
    Standard: Fire a crossbow at Gagan.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+9)[22] (base) vs AC. Hit.
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8] damage.

W's turn
    Minor: Close the door.
    Standard: Stab at Zishu with a spear.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[22] (base) vs AC. Hit.
    Damage: (1d6+2)[7] damage.

S2's turn
    Minor: Stow crossbow.
    Move: Draw shortsword.
    Standard: Slash at Vuthan with a shortsword.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[24] (base) vs AC. Hit.
    Damage: (1d6+2)[4] damage.

I missed that crossbows take a minor action to load this entire combat the goblin's statblock didn't bring that up. Better that I noticed this early, at least.

Everybody will take a turn. If there are any enemies remaining once you're all done they will get another turn.

Spoiler: When a melee attack misses W, S1, or S2...
    Show
    they shift one space away from the person who performed the attack.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2021-08-19 at 12:50 AM.
    Link to true signature

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

In serious pain from the second crossbow bolt, Gagan looses a roar loud enough that it may not matter whether the goblin manages to scamper away -- other creatures in the Keep will probably be aware of the intrusion now! He follows the battle-roar with a sheet of flame at the goblin's feet and another surrounding his own body.

Show
    First a minor-action dragonfear, which will only target S2. (d20+8)[18] to hit Will 13. A hit imposes CA and -2 to attack rolls EOMNT.

Then ignition centered on S2, (d20+9)[16] (+2 if CA) to hit Fortitude 14 for (d10+10)[19] damage. If it's a miss, the zone will still kill the goblin unless it leaves on its turn, as it deals 4 damage to creatures entering or ending their turn in the zone.

And on the very slim chance the goblin decides to move to melee, I'll apply shield of flames with another minor action. Gagan gets concealment against adjacent creatures, and those that try melee attacks or end adjacent to him take 4 damage.

The cringing goblin quickly expires in the layer of dancing flame.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2021-08-19 at 01:44 AM.

Current games list

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"Humph, barely an annoyance so far," Vuthan chortles through the pain. Not convincingly, but he's putting some effort into sounding such.

Show
    Weight of Earth: (1d20+9)[11]. On a hit deals (1d8+4)[12] and goblin is slowed until the end of his next turn.

Spoiler: OA
    Show
    (1d20+9)[22]. On a hit deals (1d8+4)[5]
    Spoiler: Interrupt if it attacks someone else
    Show
    (1d20+9)[23]. On a hit deals (1d8+4)[8] and slows.

If it kills he'll move up to W. Either way, he's marking again.

It's not quite Vuthan's girth that draws the goblin. Its almost like some sort of force hedges out the creature's ability to focus elsewhere, like Vuthan is a growing mountain in its immediate vicinity. Still, it finds him pressing in on its awareness, hemming it it, even above and beyond the other intruders to the keep.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2021-08-19 at 09:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Elmo hops to his feet, after checking that Sarathi will be fine. He rolls his shoulders to relax them again and then draws an arrow, looking for targets. He spots a melee going in the next room but he knows arrows travel faster than he does. Elmo uses his elf senses to guide the arrow straight towards the goblin there.

Spoiler: OOC - standing, Grappling Spirits as usual
    Show
    At this range he's just seeing who's in LOS and it's S1's misfortune to be just a little bit visible. (1d20+7)[24] Wis vs AC on S1 for (1d10+5)[6].

Spoiler: Elven Accuracy
    Show
    If it's a miss he'll use his Elven accuracy (must keep this reroll): (1d20+7)[11]

The goblin falls, clutching an arrow that has sprouted from his chest. Elmo cracks a tight smile. Is that a smile? A hint of one, maybe.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-08-19 at 09:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi retrieves her shield and rolls to her feet, jogging around the pillars toward the remaining combat.

[inventory management, move (stand up), Move (run). Granting Combat advantage]
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2021-08-20 at 08:02 AM.