New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: Into the Keep on the Shadowfell IC

Spoiler: OOC - Perception
    Show
    (1d20+13)[14] Perception check to see if I see anything.

Elmo continues down behind Vuthan, eyes peeled. Unfortunately his Elf eyes prove nigh useless, even with low-light vision.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-12-30 at 03:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Distrusting the gaps (into which a small ambusher might fit), Gagan unshutters his lantern and peers down each.

Spoiler: perception
    Show
    (d20+3)[7]
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi also gives the narrow halls a glance... and a sniff.
    Spoiler: Perception
    Show

(d20+10)[30]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Between a faint trace of inhuman saliva and hungry chitters, Sarathi's sniffing is followed by a call for combat readiness. In addition, she points out a flagstone on the floor that seems suspiciously raised (such spaces have been marked on the battle map with gray squares). Gagan can barely see scythed legs through the holes in the east wall.

Spoiler: OOC - Battle Begins
    Show
    Here is a link to the initiative rolls.

The large transparent yellow box is meant to assist in adjudication of the lighting rules; for that reason it should be centered on the person holding the torch. Bear in mind there might be enemies past its light.

Drang, Gagan, Sarathi, and Zishu will take their turns because of their initiative rolls, then the enemies will.

Spoiler: Reaction: If someone ends their turn on one of the elevated sections of floor...
    Show
    The flagstone crumbles beneath you, dropping you into a dank pit. Take 1d10 falling damage, from falling the pit's 10ft length. Leaving the pit requires a DC 15 athletics check. The open pit remains present on the map.

Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-02-10 at 01:41 PM.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi moves up and prepares to crush the first critter to emerge. from the holes.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Move, reactivate Battle Fury stance, Ready Crushing Surge
    Spoiler: Crushing Surge (add 2 to hit if the target is squeezing)
    Show
    (d20+8)[27] vs AC, mark, (d7+7)[11] (d8b1+6) damage and 8 temp hp on hit, 4 temp hp on miss.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Gagan advances steadily. Peering through the crevices, he says, "I don't like the look of those at all!" and tries to shock the creatures into retreat with a blast of fire.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Move action to walk south and slightly west. Standard action for ignition centered 5 squares east, mostly blocking travel for H1 and H4.
    (d20+9)[20] to hit H2's Fortitude 13
    (d20+9)[13] to hit H3's Fortitude 13
    (d20+9)[23] to hit H5's Fortitude 13
    (d20+9)[15] to hit H6's Fortitude 13
    Any hit kills, any miss does nothing. No minor action this turn.

The ignition zone deals 4 fire damage to creatures that enter it or end their turn in it.

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #157

DwarfClericGuy

Drang moved, but didn't see any enemies.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan remains cautious, avoiding rushing off. Vuthan moves to the edge of the light, toward the open hallway. He prepares to hurl a javelin at anything that emerges from the holes he's too large to squeeze through. "Anyone who can speak there?" He's not sure he's audible over the blast of fire, but still keeps his voice down.

Show
    Delaying Turn until anything passes through the holes or something that isn't a party member comes into the light. Will delay to one initiative count after. If we're not using this rule to keep things simple and I have forgotten, Readied attack is rolled here, and he will instead move to either I5 or 5I (creature h1 is standing in one of the two and he will be moving to the other).
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-01-15 at 05:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Between the flames and Gagan pointing his lantern, a few more tougher looking critters become visible. The newly visible ones are larger, a little more purple, and spikier than the ones closest to you. The largest is about the size of a human, and even more purple and spiky than the rest. Past them, you can see a small pile of coins, among other things.

All the light makes traits common to all of these six-limbed insect like reptiles more visible. Chitinous plates cover their bodies and short tails. Four of their limbs end in claws that resemble scythes, with the other two are smaller, finer, and closer to their bodies. The heads are only vaguely reptilian, with lower jaws that end in plates flanked by serrated mandibles.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Vuthan remains cautious, avoiding rushing off. "Anyone who can speak there?" He's not sure he's audible over the blast of fire, but still keeps his voice down.

Show
    Delaying Turn until anything passes through the holes or something that isn't a party member comes into the light. Will delay to one initiative count after. If we're not using this rule to keep things simple and I have forgotten, he will instead move to either I5 or 5I (creature h1 is standing in one of the two and he will be moving to the other).
    Vuthan receives no reply but angered chittering.

Show
    We're not using the delay rules found in the books because they're not compatible with the team initiative rules we're using, which were devised to make the game easier and faster to play. If you want to do something during the enemy phase, reactions and readied actions are your go-tos.

Delaying your turn until after a teammate takes theirs, for combos, information gathering, and similar, is allowed, just say that you're doing so. Anyways, waiting on your turn, as Gagan's action revealed more opponents.
    Link to true signature

10. - Top - End - #160

All of the creatures begin skittering around the flames except for the largest one, which dives in and points it spiky back into the hole on the other side of the flames. Two spikes shoot off their back through the hole. Gagan barely evades the spike aimed at him, while the one aimed at Drang would have been a perfect shot if was 5 feet closer.

One of the larger ones becomes visible crawling down the hole next to it, preemptively blocking in anticipation of further attack. Their joints have contorted in strange ways that let them move through without slowing down a bit. From the noise in the rest of the tunnels, you expect the others are doing the same out of your sight.

Spoiler: Game Actions
    Show
    H4's turn
    Move: Walk one space east, two spaces south, one space southeast, another space south, two spaces southwest, and one space east.
    Standard: Walk one space west, one space south, then three spaces west.

H1's turn
    Move: Walk three spaces east, two spaces south, one space southeast, a space south, and a final space southwest.
    Standard: Total defense.

A's turn
    Move: Walk one space south, then three spaces west.
    Standard: Fires toxic spikes at Gagan and Drang.
    First, at Gagan.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+2)[16] (+7 base, -5 superior cover) vs AC. Miss.
    Hit: (1d8+4)[5] damage and ongoing 5 poison damage, and Gagan is slowed (Save ends both effects; Skill cure: Heal DC 17 standard action).
    Second, at Drang. Oops! Turns out he's one space out of range. No other legal targets anyway, since this attack can't target the same person twice.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+2)[22] (+7 base, -5 superior cover) vs AC. Critical hit!
    Hit: (1d8+4)[10] damage and ongoing 5 poison damage, and Drang is slowed (Save ends both effects; Skill cure: Heal DC 17 standard action).

Y2's turn
    Move: Walk one space southwest, two spaces south, two spaces west, two spaces north, and one space west.

Y1's turn
    Move:
    Standard: Ready an action.
    Spoiler: When the ignition zone goes away...
    Show
    Walk straight west until they've moved 8 spaces, an obstacle gets in the way, or moving further west would provoke an opportunity attack. Keep in mind that the creature's unusual joints let it crawl through the tunnels at walking speed.

Y3's turn
    Move: Walk one space west, two spaces southwest, two spaces west, and one space north.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-01-18 at 11:05 PM.
    Link to true signature

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Elmo moves up with the torch still in hand. He raises his other hand to it and the flames brighten and flare. He brings his hand down quickly, in the direction of the skittering. "May the power of the sun smite you, lovers of the dark!"

Spoiler: OOC - Sun Strike
    Show
    (1d20+6)[25] Wis vs. Reflex, for (1d8+5)[9] radiant damage, since he can see creature A down the cracks past Gagan. If it hits he'll slide the creature towards the rest of the party.

The radiant fire surrounds the purple spiky monster as it shields its eyes, heading for the nearest crack to try to escape the light, to no avail.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2022-01-19 at 01:32 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Noting that the creatures chose to stay back out of her reach, sarathi grinned, and took a small step away from the holes the attackers came from, offering them a chance to get closer...

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Shift 1 space, ready crushing surge again.
    Spoiler: Readied crushing surge if an enemy enters my reach
    Show

To hit: (d20+8)[19] vs AC,
    Damage: (d7+7)[10](d8+6 brutal 1)
    8 temp HP and mark on hit, 4 temp HP and mark on miss.

13. - Top - End - #163

DwarfClericGuy

Drang launches a Sacred Flame at "A," hoping to hurt it and give Sarathi two temp hp.

Spoiler: Drang Ranged attack (or D-ranged attack)
    Show
    (1d20+5)[22]
    (1d6+3)[7]

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Genius View Post
    Drang launches a Sacred Flame at "A," hoping to hurt it and give Sarathi two temp hp.

Spoiler: Drang Ranged attack (or D-ranged attack)
    Show
    [roll0]
    [roll1]
    (with temp HP, my readied action gains +2 damage if it hits)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan slides up to the crack in the wall. Spectral Vines erupt from his blade, tearing into the crack in the wall and at the oddly jointed creature within.

Show
    (1d20+9)[20]. On a hit, deal (1d20+4)[15] 8 and pull 1 square. Listed AC is 15 so I have moved it closer and Vuthan will use Nature's Wrath to mark it.

With the creature pulled in close, Vuthan's bulk presses in on it, threatening to punish it further in case its weird joints might allow it to get around and reach any of his allies.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-01-20 at 01:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

As the room bursts into activity around him, Gagan prepares another spell. One of the chittering creatures rushes up to menace him; Sarathi bashes at it, dealing a serious blow despite the chitin. "A fine strike -- let's see if I can match it," the dragonborn shouts, adding a wordless roar afterward.

Show
    When I start my turn, the ignition zone ends, triggering Y1's movement, which in turn triggers Sarathi's hit. I've added her temp HP for the hit, as well as recording the mark and the damage on Y1.

Minor action: tag A as bravo's prey.

Minor action: dragonfear. I think this targets every creature other than H1, but I'm away from my home computer so I can't check the rules on cover. Y3 and H4 might be safe. Any miss does nothing, any hit imposes combat advantage and -2 attack until the end of my third turn.
    (d20+10)[19] vs A's Will 14
    (d20+8)[18] vs Y1's Will 11
    (d20+8)[23] vs Y2's Will 11
    EDIT: The rules on cover say I can't target Y3 or H4, so I'll erase those effects in the battle map momentarily.
    (d20+8)[19] vs Y3's Will 11
    (d20+8)[26] vs H4's Will 12

Standard action: elemental bolt with elemental escalation. No opportunity attack due to Staff Expertise.
    (d20+11)[26] (+2 if CA) vs A's Reflex 17 for (d12)[11] + (d6+12)[15] + (d10)[9] fire damage
    (d20+9)[15] (+2 if CA) vs Y1's Reflex 14 for (d12)[6] + (d6+10)[11] + (d10)[4] fire damage
    If either one puts a creature within 5 points of falling, add hellfire heart for 5 more damage.

I end my turn in Y1's aura, so I take 2 damage (unless I manage to kill it first, I guess).
    Last edited by Dimers; 2022-01-21 at 12:06 AM.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

The creatures visibly shrink away from Gagan's roar, but the one standing before him still threatens the dragonborn's legs with its spikes. He attempts another more rushed spell to try to finish off the foe before it can do serious harm ...

Spoiler: action point!
    Show
    I might be able to finish off V1 and A this round if I spend an action point, so let's do it! Ignition centered 2 squares east from my position:
    (d20+13)[14] vs A's Fortitude 16 for (d10+12)[20] fire damage. Add 5 for hellfire heart if that'd take down A.
    (d20+11)[27] vs Y1's Fortitude 13. Any hit is enough damage to fell Y1.

... and succeeds, though the spell fizzles against the largest foe.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2022-01-20 at 06:53 PM.

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #168

Even while confined in the tunnel, the creature Vuthan's engaged with can slash about so wildly to make their attacks unblockable in aggregate. Fortunately, these slashes are too frenzied to deal major damage. A smaller one emerges from the wall to try and land a more focused hit. He blocks it, only for the one already present to land a strike from behind. Soon after, another emerges to replicate the tactic, leaving another mark.

Meanwhile, the largest one squeezes through a hole to slash at Gagan. He barely evades the following swipe, nearly crashing into Elmo in the process. If it weren't for his dragonfear, the attack would have hit.

Along the path ahead, a single one of these creatures strides into view, watching for an opening. Noisy chittering fills the room as the battle continues.

Show
    A's turn
    Move: Squeeze, then move 2 spaces west, ending at normal size.
    Standard: Slash at Gagan with a claw.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[15] (+8 base, -2 dragonfear) vs AC. Miss.
    Hit: (1d10+3)[11] damage.
    Takes 4 fire damage from ignition at end of turn, which has already been marked.

Spoiler: Prerolled Opportunity Attack
    Show

Standard: Slash at the person who provoked the OA with a claw.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+8)[13] ± all active modifiers vs AC.
    Hit: (1d10+3)[12] damage.

H4's turn
    Move: Walk one space west and three spaces north.
    Standard: Slash at Vuthan with a claw.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[18] (+5 base, +2 CA via flanking) vs AC. Miss.
    Hit: 4 damage.

Y2's turn
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[24] (+5 base, +2 CA via flanking, -2 dragonfear) vs AC. Hit.
    Hit: (1d8+2)[4] damage.

Y3's turn
    Move: Walk 2 spaces south, 4 spaces west, and 2 spaces north.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[20] (+5 base) vs AC. Hit.
    Hit: (1d8+2)[7] damage.

H1's turn
    Move: Walk 1 space southwest, 2 spaces west, 2 spaces south, and 3 spaces west.
    Standard: Walk 2 spaces west, 1 space south, 2 more spaces west, 1 space northwest, and 1 space north.

Everyone will take their turns, then the remaining enemies will take their turns. The narration described the enemy's aura to help you remember it this turn, and I prerolled an opportunity attack for A because it seems more likely than usual that one will be necessary this turn.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-01-25 at 02:33 AM.
    Link to true signature

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Caught up in the excitement of combat, Sarathi smashed the largest foe, who was already battered and bleeding after the other attacks.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show
    Brash Strike: (d20+10)[21] vs AC, enough bonus damage to drop it on a roll of a 1, and if it lives, Sarathi grants combat advantage to it.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Not yet satisfied, sarathi stepped around the nearest, weak opponent, and swung at the large foe behind

Spoiler: OOC Actions (remaining)
    Show

Move action: shift 1 square
    Action point: Brash Strike on Y3
    (d20+10)[17] vs ac, (1d7+13)[18] (1d8b1+8+2+2), mark, and sarathi grants combat advantage to Y3,

EoT, 4 aura damage
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2022-01-25 at 06:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

"Garh," Vuthan growls as the attacks lay into him from one side as he protects himself on the other. The earth around him roils in response as he raises his defenses further.

Show
    Standard Action: Hungry Earth, area in burst 1 becomes difficult terrain for enemies until end of next turn.
    (1d20+9)[28] for (1d8+4)[11] against H4
    (1d20+9)[20] for (1d8+4)[10] against Y2
    (1d20+9)[11] for (1d8+4)[11] against Y3

Minor Action: Stone's Endurance

Move Action: If H4 is hit Vuthan will shift south. Otherwise, no move action this turn.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-01-26 at 10:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    "Garh," Vuthan growls
    "Vuthan, watch your flank! We only just met and it's too soon to say goodbye!"

This should help that growl: Take a healing surge plus this roll.
    Spoiler: Healing
    Show
    (1d6+3)[9]

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan looks fully refreshed from Drang's Aid. "Thanks friend. Let them come at my flank though; better at that than at you," he gestures at the roiling earth around him.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

The elf finds the others making short work of the creatures, and he takes a moment to concentrate on where the remaining ones are. In a blur of motion, he tosses down the torch and draws his bow, and shoots an arrow that makes a ghostly fork of itself to hit the creatures on both sides of Vuthan simultaneously.

Spoiler: OOC - Storm of Spirit Shards
    Show
    It's burst 1, but I think I can catch Y2 and Y3 together. Wis vs. AC for each:
    Y2 (1d20+6)[24] for (1d10+5)[9]+(2d6)[7]
    Y3 (1d20+6)[24] for (1d10+5)[11]+(2d6)[7]

Half damage on misses.

25. - Top - End - #175

The remaining creatures seem just as willing to fight as they were at the start despite the damage you've dealt, and the ones you've already defeated. Their claws whir about almost as automatically as breathing. Even though you're on the verge of victory, it's clear you still need to keep your guard up.

(OOC: No mechanical changes. Waiting on Zishu and Gagan to take their turns.)
    Link to true signature

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Already breathing hard from throwing around magical energy so quickly, Gagan takes in a deep breath to shoot a flame-lance at one of Vuthan's attackers.

Show
    Elemental bolt at Y2, nothing else this turn. (d20+11)[26] vs Reflex 14, any hit deals enough damage to kill.

The dragonborn nods in satisfaction as his target burns.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2022-02-01 at 05:41 PM.

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Zishu was thinking hard on a question and totally forgot where he was till now.
    "What a fight? Time for a little madness!"
    Zishu shoots a wave of rainbow light at Y3.

Spoiler
    Show

Shared Madness:
    hit - (1d20+7)[11] vs Will
    dam - (1d10+4)[13] to both targets if hit

Sorry, totally forgot to check this for a while, apologies.
    Darn missed lol

28. - Top - End - #178

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Sorry, totally forgot to check this for a while, apologies.
    Spoiler: Sub
    Show
    Did you know that you can subscribe to this and the OOC? I get an email every time there's a new post for the day.
    Glad you're back!

29. - Top - End - #179

Sarathi's brash attack draws both of your remaining enemies' attention, giving their instinctual rage a target. The counterattack from the one she struck is blocked, only for a charge from the other direction to land. A smaller claw makes for a smaller wound, at least.

Show
    Y3's Turn
    Standard: Slash at Sarathi with a claw.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[9] (+5 base, +2 CA via Brash Strike) vs AC. Miss.
    Hit: (1d8+2)[6] damage.

Y3's Turn
    Standard: Charge at Sarathi with a claw.
    Move two spaces northeast.
    Attack Roll: (1d20+6)[25] (+5 base, +1 for charging) vs AC. Hit.
    Hit: 4 damage.

Everyone will get a turn, and then any remaining enemies will get a turn. Of course, the battle will likely end before that.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-02-10 at 01:28 PM.
    Link to true signature

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi meets one of her attackers with her shield, using it's momentum against it.

Spoiler: Reaction: Shield Riposte
    Show
    Vs Y3
    (D20+7)[10] vs Fortitude, (d10+5)[13] damage and 4 temp HP on a hit.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2022-02-11 at 08:46 AM.