New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Keep on the Shadowfell IC

Gagan smiles a big, toothy grin as the passageway opens. "Good job, Elmo. Now, how do you feel about sneaking ahead to get a peek at our enemies? Or should we bull on down there like thunder rolling in and lightning right behind?"
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Gagan smiles a big, toothy grin as the passageway opens. "Good job, Elmo. Now, how do you feel about sneaking ahead to get a peek at our enemies? Or should we bull on down there like thunder rolling in and lightning right behind?"
    Elmo wordlessly peeks into the passageway and begins walking down it slowly. At the first bend, assuming no traps or other noises, he motions for the others to follow, then proceeds a little further.

Spoiler: OOC - Perception
    Show
    As always, remember you folks have +1 to perception from being around an elf. Elmo's looking/listening roll: (1d20+13)[28]

3. - Top - End - #213
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Elmo wordlessly peeks into the passageway and begins walking down it slowly. At the first bend, assuming no traps or other noises, he motions for the others to follow, then proceeds a little further.

Spoiler: OOC - Perception
    Show
    As always, remember you folks have +1 to perception from being around an elf. Elmo's looking/listening roll: [roll0]
    (OOC: There are no bends in the passageway, just 10ft of flat floor followed by 20ft of staircase with a door at the top. Probably should have said that I updated the battle map last post.)

A thorough search reveals there aren't any traps in the passageway, nor is anything rigged to trigger when you touch the door at its end.

The people behind the door don't seem to have noticed your presence yet, as they're still talking to eachother with the same tone as before your search. However, they're using the same language that the goblins you fought in the room behind you were, so you don't know what they're saying.
    Link to true signature
    Feel free to sig anything I post, just do so in quote format.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    (OOC: There are no bends in the passageway, just 10ft of flat floor followed by 20ft of staircase with a door at the top. Probably should have said that I updated the battle map last post.)

A thorough search reveals there aren't any traps in the passageway, nor is anything rigged to trigger when you touch the door at its end.

The people behind the door don't seem to have noticed your presence yet, as they're still talking to each other with the same tone as before your search. However, they're using the same language that the goblins you fought in the room behind you were, so you don't know what they're saying.
    Elmo instead returns to the others and says quietly, "These ones seem to have missed the commotion earlier. So. Burst in swinging as before?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thanks for the reminder to check the map!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's try bursting though all at once; the better to create some momentum," Vuthan keeps his voice down as he takes a position near the top of the stairs.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Gagan grins again and gives Vuthan a thumbs-up.

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarathi also readies for battle.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm always ready for a fight" Zishu says as he readies near the stairs.

9. - Top - End - #219

The hidden door slides open without a sound. You see a small chamber enclosed by hanging tapestries, on the other side of which you can see the bottom half of an obese goblin and a smaller than usual goblin amid a conversation. A wooden chest sits at the foot of the bed.

Your entry is immediately noticed for lack of effort to conceal it, and seems to have surprised them into speaking common.

The smaller one yells, "Ah, behind us! They found the secret door!"

While quickly preparing fighting stances, the other goblin replies, "Speak of the devil... I told you assuming the kruthiks ate them was way too optimistic!"

Spoiler: OOC - Battle Begins
    Show
    Link to the initiative rolls.

Everyone will place themselves in a space within the green box on the battle map, then take their turn because your opponents had a low initiative roll. Once that's done, the enemies will take their turn.

The squiggly lines on the battle map represent thick tapestries hanging from the ceiling. They block line of sight and effect, and medium creatures need to use two spaces of movement in order to move through them. As a standard action, you can make a DC 15 strength check to attempt to pull one down. Success on the check means successfully pulling it down.

Spoiler: If someone tries to open the western door of the room you're in...
    Show
    it doesn't open. Presumably, it's locked.

Spoiler: If a melee attack missed a goblin who hasn't reacted yet...
    Show
    they shift one space away from the attacker.

Finally, I'm using a new method for noting the stats of minions. The visual descriptions and defenses of each type are listed once, and in the section for noting status and wielded items there's a separate line for each minion. This should save space and make the battle easier to adjudicate.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-03-25 at 04:19 AM.
    Link to true signature

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, someone who knows how to speak to an enemy," Vuthan flashes a nasty grin before blocking off the goblins from the western door.

"Any chance of explaining to us 'devils' what you've been doing here?" Vuthan pressed in heavily, his own bulk making the goblin in the padded armor look even slimmer than they really are.

Show
    Move action: move from the top of the stairs to being adjacent to W1. Vuthan then marks W1 vie Nature's Wrath.

Action: Vuthan will ready a thorn strike in case either goblin tries to run (or attack, if this level of flexibility is an option).
    Spoiler: Reaction
    Show
    Attack (1d20+9)[13] for (1d8+4)[10] damage.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Reinforcing Vuthan's blockade, Gagan lays down a sheet of fire between the goblins and the door. He then turns to face the goblins, all teeth and glower.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show
    Placed, then walked into the room behind Vuthan. Standard action is ignition creating the indicated zone. I don't think it penetrates the door, but I also think it's probably irrelevant mechanically unless those goblins have really good Athletics modifiers.

Current games list

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Zishu moves by the two goblins and attacks B with his strongest move
    "You aren't going anywhere big guy"

Spoiler
    Show

Minor action Oath of Enmity so I get two attack rolls, choosing higher so I don't waste this move
    CelestialFist - (1d20+7)[13] Vs reflex
    CelestialFist - (1d20+7)[20] Vs reflex

damage - (2d10+7)[21] Radiant damage
    immobilized (save ends)

Each time it fails save, 7 radiant damage.
    Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).

If I miss (I hope not), Half damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    "Ah, someone who knows how to speak to an enemy," Vuthan flashes a nasty grin before blocking off the goblins from the western door.

"Any chance of explaining to us 'devils' what you've been doing here?" Vuthan pressed in heavily, his own bulk making the goblin in the padded armor look even slimmer than they really are.

Show
    Move action: move from the top of the stairs to being adjacent to W1. Vuthan then marks W1 vie Nature's Wrath.

Action: Vuthan will ready a thorn strike in case either goblin tries to run (or attack, if this level of flexibility is an option).
    Spoiler: Reaction
    Show
    Attack [roll0] for [roll1] damage.
    "Discussing how to get you out of our hair, which will get Kalarel to stop riding m-"

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Zishu moves by the two goblins and attacks B with his strongest move
    "You aren't going anywhere big guy"

Spoiler
    Show

Minor action Oath of Enmity so I get two attack rolls, choosing higher so I don't waste this move
    [roll0] Vs reflex
    [roll1] Vs reflex

[roll2] Radiant damage
    immobilized (save ends)

Each time it fails save, 7 radiant damage.
    Aftereffect: The target is slowed (save ends).

If I miss (I hope not), Half damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of your next turn.
    "Buah!" Upon noticing that he's been immobilized, the goblin begins to panic. "Have mercy on me!"

The other goblin rolls his eyes. "This is the determination of Lord Orcus' faithful?"

(OOC: Awaiting Drang, Gagan, and Vuthan's turns, as well as somebody's reply. EDIT: Made a gameplay resolution error, see next post.)
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-03-28 at 11:51 PM.
    Link to true signature

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboGhast View Post
    (OOC: Awaiting Drang, Gagan, and Vuthan's turns, as well as somebody's reply.)
    Seems a bit odd to go again this early, but I guess we're counting fewer people?

"Let me get past your 'hair,' a bit," Vuthan replies, bearing down his sword on the goblin that isn't immobilized.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Edit: Ignore this stuff, it was based on the quote inside the previous spoiler, which has been corrected.

Standard: Weight of Earth (1d20+9)[27]. On a hit, W1 takes (1d8+4)[9] and is slowed until end of next turn. This shouldn't be enough to bloody the goblin, so I'm hoping he won't go too nuts.
    Free Action: mark W1 again.

Insults levied at Vuthan this combat: 'devil'
    Last edited by sandmote; 2022-03-29 at 03:27 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Show
    Seems a bit odd to go again this early, but I guess we're counting fewer people?

"Let me get past your 'hair,' a bit," Vuthan replies, bearing down his sword on the goblin that isn't immobilized.

Show
    Standard: Weight of Earth [roll0]. On a hit, W1 takes [roll1] and is slowed until end of next turn. This shouldn't be enough to bloody the goblin, so I'm hoping he won't go too nuts.
    Free Action: mark W1 again.

Insults levied at Vuthan this combat: 'devil'
    (OOC: What I intended was simply an opponent talking between two PC turns within the first round of combat because they were asked a question. However, I messed up when editing in an indication of whose turn was next. It should have been "Waiting on Elmo, Sarathi, and Drang's turns, as well as somebody's reply". Sorry for the mistake.

Also, if you're passing your turn without taking actions because you believe that to be the most helpful course of action, be sure to post saying so, because otherwise I won't be able to tell whether you did.)
    Link to true signature

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Elmo nocks an arrow and steps from behind the curtain, but lets the others do the talking. He’s not in the habit of being long-winded with goblins or cultists or goblin cultists.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

(Sorry for the delay, new job)

Sarathi moves up to the intervening door, then lets out a snarl as she charges W1.

Show
    move up
    Minor: Battle fury stance (-2 AC, +2 damage)
    Charge+ gnoll racial (d20+9)[16] to hit W1, (1d7+9)[13] damage
    On hit: Iron Wolf Charge- (d6)[4] extra damage, (d20+4)[5] vs will on B, push 1 and -2 to B's attack rolls UEoNT. (d20+4)[7] vs will on W1, push 1 and -2 to W1's attack rolls UEoNT. 4 temp HP
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2022-03-30 at 01:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

DwarfClericGuy

Drang attempts to drop a sacred flame on W1 and simultaneously give Sarathi 2 temp hp.

Spoiler: Flame Attack
    Show
    (1d20+5)[8]
    (1d6+3)[5] damage

19. - Top - End - #229

The smaller goblin attempts to slip their hand into one of the obese goblin's pockets, but gets noticed. This sparks an argument.

"Wesot, why were you trying to take my room key out of my pocket‽"

"Because you're shirking your duty as head of first floor security, I'm the one in command now."

"This is mutiny! I, Balgron the Fat, was chosen for the position by Kalarel for my faith in Lord Orcus, and since I can still speak I can still fulfill that role."

"I for one don't want to wait until the adventurers tie your mouth shut to start trying to get out of this bind."

Meanwhile, someone on the other side of the door seems to have noticed the racket, since they're knocking on the door.

Spoiler: OOC - Game Actions of Enemy Round 1
    Show
    Wesot's (W1) turn
    Standard: Attempts to pick Balgron's pocket to acquire a key within, fails by enough to get noticed.

Balgron's (B) turn
    EOT: Save against immobilization. (1d20)[8] Failure, effect continues.

C1's turn
    Move: Walk 4 spaces east.
    Minor: Knock on the door.

Everyone will take their turn, including speaking in response to this development. What follows will be either switching to a pure negotiation scene or the enemy's combat turns, depending on your actions.

Spoiler: If someone tries to open the western door of the room you're in...
    Show
    it doesn't open. Presumably, it's locked.

Spoiler: If a melee attack missed a goblin who hasn't reacted yet...
    Show
    they shift one space away from the attacker.

Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-04-04 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Rewording things a bit to try and prod players into action.
    Link to true signature

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

"Orcus? That's all I needed to hear," Gagan says flatly. He levels his staff at the goblin who's still free to move and fires off a blast of flame.

Spoiler: mechanics and comment
    Show
    I was waiting on the defenders to see how much further lockdown these two goblins might get, but it's time somebody got this round started.

Standard action elemental bolt at W1. (d20+9)[19] to hit Reflex 15, damage (d12+10)[21] plus (d6)[4].

Current games list

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

"I fail to see how anything in another room is going to get you out of this particular bind. In response to the blast of flame, he levels his sword at the closer goblin. "Answers Later."

Show
    Standard Action: Weight of Earth: (1d20+9)[23]. On a hit, deals (1d8+4)[6] and slows the target until end of next turn.
    Free Action: if W1 is still standing, Vuthan will mark it.

22. - Top - End - #232

DwarfClericGuy

Drang just did a double move.

23. - Top - End - #233

Your attacks end their argument, and draw their attention back to you.

"If that door wasn't locked, then the rest of the goblins running first floor security would have made this into an actual fight. They're on high alert trying to protect us from you, but I didn't even consider that you'd find the secret door. Urgh... should save the wondering about my mistakes for after I survive them."

Balgron's taking the apparent defeat with far less decorum. Between the sobs, you can make out cries of "What do you want‽" and "Please don't kill me!".

"If he's blubbering too much, then I guess it falls to me to say it. The two of us surrender."

The knocking on the door has gotten louder, though.

Spoiler: Game Action - End of Combat
    Show
    All of the enemies who are in the room you're in have surrendered, so the battle is over enough that we should leave combat rounds. However, since you have a potential opponent literally knocking on the door to the room you're in, no short rest yet.

For similar reasons, each of you gain only 45 experience points here, since only two of the opponents currently on the battle map have surrendered. Note that I will give experience points for getting opponents out of your way by negotiating.
    Last edited by TurboGhast; 2022-04-09 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Added "each of you' so it's clear each party member gets 45 exp, and that I've already split the total between the party members.
    Link to true signature

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

"So, we got answers later that will help, how long before the other goblins get through?" Zishu moves near the door, ready to strike if they break though.

25. - Top - End - #235

A closer listen reveals that the knocking is simply being performed by hand. Since they haven't started to try and break through, only knock loudly, you've got plenty of time to prepare. This could range from taking measures to help you win the next fight to talking to the losers of the previous.
    Link to true signature

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan keeps his focus on the composed goblin. "Please to have your peace. You all merely live here, or are you here for a purpose?" His sword remains out.

27. - Top - End - #237

As calm as the loser to a fight can be, Wesot replies, "Here for a purpose. Kalarel told Balgron it was his duty to defend the first floor, and since he didn't have the money to hire mercenaries he called in a big favor from me."
    Link to true signature

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

As the questioning begins, Gagan gets a length of rope from his pack and begins binding the blubbering Balgron. He looks up from the work to ask Wesot, "And whoever's on the other side of the door? Cultists, or people sensible enough to go away when facing a superior force?"

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #239

"Warriors that I was able to convince to join me in this effort. Not to brag, but I am well respected in my hometown." After taking a few breaths, Wesot continues, "Not cultists, but I know from experience they have a penchant for overestimating themselves."
    Link to true signature

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

Vuthan waves his sword at Balgron, keeping an eye on Wesot. "He appears to have left his position to you. Head of First floor security, you said? Tell me, would your warriors be up for letting some 'new friends go past?"