New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Star Wars: Visions - First Trailer

Upcoming new series on Disney+, an anthology of stand-alone, anime-style Star Wars shorts:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not a huge anime fan, but I love just about everything we see here. The bounty hunter crew at 0:48 looks great, and there are some beautiful pieces of concept art scattered in here.

I really like the idea of expanding into new characters and new stories, and hopefully different time periods as well. Very much looking forward to this one.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Star Wars: Visions - First Trailer

Looks interesting. I like that there seems to be a drive to explore new characters rather than rehash favorites.

An episode list and some descriptions were posted here.

I couldn't get a sense of about how long the average episode was though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Looks interesting. I like that there seems to be a drive to explore new characters rather than rehash favorites.
    Seconded. I don't particularly care either way about anime, but color me intrigued.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    I like that there seems to be a drive to explore new characters rather than rehash favorites.
    This certainly grabs me more than the "anime style" per se.

But given the Japanese influence on the original movie, I'm interested in where they take these, visually and storywise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Although I'm not sure if I need the rabbit people. I just do not get the catgirl/animal-people thing.

5. - Top - End - #5

BardGuy

Didn't know this was happening, colour me intrigued.

I especially didn't know I wanted to see a lightsaber design with decorative sword mountings. Looks beautiful.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-07-04 at 06:13 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

...Huh, never thought I'd see another Animatrix-inspired anthology series. When was the last one? The Halo anthology? I thought they'd gone out of style. I'm surprised that Disney is letting a bunch of overseas studios work on something like this. Doesn't seem to be the mouse's fashion to tell Star Wars stories that are out of canon. Isn't that the reason they canned Star Wars Detours?

That said, I am super looking forward a lightsaber fight animated by Studio Trigger.

7. - Top - End - #7

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    I'm surprised that Disney is letting a bunch of overseas studios work on something like this. Doesn't seem to be the mouse's fashion to tell Star Wars stories that are out of canon. Isn't that the reason they canned Star Wars Detours?
    Not sure it is out of canon. One of the shorts is getting a full tie-in novel and Disney generally doesn't do that multi-level canon thing. Though it looks like these are staying far enough away from the films that canon might not even matter.

They never gave a reason for why Star Wars: Detours wasn't released. It could be that general unwillingness Disney has to acknowledge much of the pre-Lucasfilm purchase stuff outside of Clone Wars. They didn't greenlight it, so they don't care about it.

But on the other hand, it could also be that both the trailer and the one leaked episode were absolutely dreadful.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Mecha View Post
    ...Huh, never thought I'd see another Animatrix-inspired anthology series. When was the last one? The Halo anthology? I thought they'd gone out of style.
    Love, Death, & Robots is much more recent (2019), and managed to get a volume 2, and is working on a volume 3. It seems to have sparked a renewed interest in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph
    Not sure it is out of canon. One of the shorts is getting a full tie-in novel and Disney generally doesn't do that multi-level canon thing. Though it looks like these are staying far enough away from the films that canon might not even matter.
    Disney has been extremely confused on how to handle the issue of canonicity in Star Wars since the moment it acquired the franchise, and they've already broken pledges about continuity repeatedly. Efforts to preserve any sort of united continuity in the Disney canon were broken very early on, so whether or not Visions is 'canon' no longer really matters
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Disney has been extremely confused on how to handle the issue of canonicity in Star Wars since the moment it acquired the franchise
    Now now, let's be fair here. Star Wars has been extremely confused on how to handle the issue of canonicity in itself since the moment Splinter of the Mind's Eye was released.

I am also not above admitting that I looked to see whether SotME or the Holiday Special was released first.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

New trailer, showing clips from the episodes:

Spoiler
    Show
    Yup, very anime. But also very Star Wars. Makes for an interesting blend.

...also, "May the Force be with you" sounds very cool in Japanese.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-08-17 at 11:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

That's..... VERY anime, more than I expected.

And somehow it works, which shouldn't be that surprising in a setting where catching a crashing space dreadnought and pushing it away with the force isn't just possible, but canon. Looking forward to this.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Spamalot in the Playground

Ooh, this looks interesting. I agree with those that said exploring new characters would be a highlight.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #13

Star Wars' primary achilles heel as a property is how indifferent Eastern audiences are to it. I have little doubt that this style is a calculated attempt to broaden the brand's appeal.

But as long as it looks (and is) cool, I don't mind personally. So long as all the episodes get an english dub too. (Don't get me wrong, I like subs - but I tend to watch these shows while multitasking, e.g. cooking or working late.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Star Wars' primary achilles heel as a property is how indifferent Eastern audiences are to it. I have little doubt that this style is a calculated attempt to broaden the brand's appeal.

But as long as it looks (and is) cool, I don't mind personally. So long as all the episodes get an english dub too. (Don't get me wrong, I like subs - but I tend to watch these shows while multitasking, e.g. cooking or working late.)
    There is an English dub version of the trailer, so I assume there will be of the actual episodes too.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Eastern audiences
    Chinese. By all accounts, Star Wars does not suffer one bit in Japan or many other Far East countries. China's population makes it a behemoth, but their culture is not indicative of Eastern audiences as a whole.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Chinese. By all accounts, Star Wars does not suffer one bit in Japan or many other Far East countries. China's population makes it a behemoth, but their culture is not indicative of Eastern audiences as a whole.
    Yea that tracks. I was thinking the other day: "But Star Wars has laser swords, friendly robots, martial artists who wield the swords using magic that binds all life together and villains that make speeches about weak and strong people, wouldn't that go great in Japan based on all the anime I've watched?" and glad to see I'm not wrong.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. The first Star Wars was a huge hit in Japan, and the franchise has been popular there ever since.

And given how heavily Lucas drew on Kurosawa’s Hidden Fortress, it’s easy to see how it could resonate with a Japanese audience, above and beyond its already broad appeal.

The more I think about this series, the more I’m looking forward to it. The Bad Batch had its moments, but the franchise as a whole can only benefit from a new pulse of creative perspective.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    The more I think about this series, the more I’m looking forward to it. The Bad Batch had its moments, but the franchise as a whole can only benefit from a new pulse of creative perspective.
    Fully agreed. I'm trying to avoid any more clips after the first trailer because I'm already 100% sold on it.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Good point, I'll clarify. China is what Disney cares about from a box office perspective. Japanese animation is a bridge where they can find creatives who are passionate about Star Wars, and a medium that might finally appeal to Chinese audiences in a way that the movies and live-action shows have failed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

So, apparently Visions dropped the entire first season at once.

Been watching the first four, and overall it's off to a strong start.

Spoiler: E1: Duel
    Show
    I’m not familiar with the visual style for this one, so it feels strange to me, but the story is a perfect fusion of wandering ronin and Force duel, with some bounty hunters for that extra Star Wars vibe.

The lightsaber umbrella seemed a little silly, but otherwise really enjoyed it. Using the log to part the waterfall was a brilliant little touch, as was the trap beyond.

And the Japanese-style aurebesh title was just perfect.

Spoiler: E2: Rhapsody
    Show
    Great little short, silly but fun. A refreshingly different lost-padawan story.

The Force jump during the song was hilarious, and we finally got the follow-up line for a classic Star Wars-ism:

"Punch it!"
    "I already punched it!"

Spoiler: E3: Twins
    Show
    Really did not like this one. It started out rather hokey, and quickly became just terrible, ending in a glitzy crescendo of utter ridiculous.

From the very first lines the dialogue had far too much exposition, and it felt somehow both generic anime and generic Star Wars. And ending up on Tatooine just felt like yet another dose of small-galaxy syndrome.

It's hard to even process the high concentrations of ridiculous. Karre is supposed to be a Sith Lord or something, yet he has a Rebel X-Wing on standby?

And somehow they can both just…breathe vacuum, for no apparent reason? This isn’t simply surviving a few seconds before reaching shelter, the way we’ve seen in science fiction from 2001 to Star Trek to The Last Jedi. This is treating vacuum like it’s Joe Atmosphere, with long conversations, involved fight scenes, random acrobatics and protracted monologues about self-doubt. All in hard vacuum.

Compared to this, nothing else should seem even half as ridiculous…and then she shoots a lightsaber out of her stiletto heels. I mean, come on.

Spoiler: E4: Bride
    Show
    Enjoyed this one the most. It’s intelligent, thoughtful, a meditation on the Force and the living world.

Perhaps because of that, it seemed to have a Princess Mononoke vibe, although the otherworldly aspects were far more subtle.

A few elements were a little puzzling—I’m still not clear who the older man was, or what the collapsing of the landscape was supposed to be. But even so, it was well done and nicely atmospheric.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-09-22 at 03:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

DANGIT, the wifi at this hotel is terrible! Why now?

22. - Top - End - #22

I watched the first five episodes and so far really enjoy it. Episode 3 is probably the weakest. The first episode so far my favorite; the visuals and story twists are excellent. The fifth was just a nice feel-good start to a bigger story and probably my second fav so far.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by DigoDragon
    I watched the first five episodes and so far really enjoy it. Episode 3 is probably the weakest. The first episode so far my favorite; the visuals and story twists are excellent.
    I’m one behind you, but otherwise completely agreed.

This is the most creative new work we’ve seen for Star Wars in years. Much as I love the Mandalorian, it pretty much stays in well-established lanes, but with Visions we’re getting new styles, new flavors, and in some cases some very different stories. Overall I love it so far.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

So watched them all tonight, gong to give just my basic thoughts on them but I'll put it in spoilers to to avoid any inadvertent spoils.

Spoiler
    Show
    1: A good episode as people have said the art style is kinda distracting, looks like 3d animation with heavy after shaders not the best. Lightsaber umbrella is silly but actually barely plays a part making me think it was just for the trailers and to have something new. But the fight between the wanderer and sith is fantastic the little trick at the end was great and all fits with a recurring theme for these episodes and lightsaber duels in general, less is more after all my top lightsaber duel is Kenobi vs sith in rebels and I've never even watched rebels because every movement tells something.

2:Didnt really like it, probably because I found the music pretty weak. Maybe I should mention I'm watching it dubbed but you could tell it was a Japanese pop song base which I'm not really a fan of. Others will likely enjoy it though. Found the art direction pretty weak as well.

3:I actually really like the art style in the intro, the way the stromtroopers all blend together, the sense of size and all that. Then the droid starts talking and it's down hill from there. As people have said it just gets silly but not in a particularly fun way.

4:Simple but effective not to much super stand out but still worth a watch. I do find it funny how the bolter stopping power has now just become standard for all jedi considering 7 made quite a big deal out of it.

5:Another enjoyable one, I really liked the design of the Margrave even down to his lightsaber. The twist was fine, although not sure what was going on with Homen he gives abit of an explanation but would have expected better. The lightsaber colour change mechanic was cool and a good way to establish alot in a short space of time. Would actually be a pretty good set up to a two parter really.

6:Not really my thing, cute but this and two feel aimed at a younger audience than me.

7:Probably my fav, as I said for No 1 about lightsaber fights and simplicity being good. This really boils the fights down to just afew effective moves from each fighter. Designs are good. I like that out of all of them this seems to be the only one set during the Republic Era which does seem kinda strange especially since droids show up in multiple episodes.

8:Another good one and actually the only interesting moral set up as well, I'm not sure why the ancient picture had a rebel symbol but maybe I just missed some dialog. I actually think this episode could have benefitted from being set in the waning days of the republic with a planet being exploited by corporations but also benefitting from the technology of the Republic, the finale could have been the jedi showing up to stop the "Terrorists". Having it being the empire in all its cartoonish evilness takes away any moral ambiguity.

9:Was fine but didnt keep my interest.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Spacewolf
    *thoughts*
    Spoiler: Episodes 1-4
    Show
    …my top lightsaber duel is Kenobi vs sith in rebels….
    If you mean Kenobi’s final duel against Darth Maul, then completely agreed. That really felt like a duel between samurai, a single stroke each with all their skill, focus and spirit behind it.

2:Didnt really like it, probably because I found the music pretty weak. Maybe I should mention I'm watching it dubbed but you could tell it was a Japanese pop song base which I'm not really a fan of.
    I wasn’t that impressed with the music either, but the characters were engaging enough that I could overlook it, and Boba Fett nodding along to the music at the end was priceless.

I do find it funny how the bolter stopping power has now just become standard for all jedi considering 7 made quite a big deal out of it.
    That was a little much, yes. I can only hope it doesn’t show up again.

26. - Top - End - #26

I finished up the series last night and enjoyed them.

Spoiler: A few thoughts
    Show
    Episode 7 is another of my favorites for the fight scene. I love the clashing of lightsabers, but watching the warriors study each other, calculating their moves, it's beautiful tension.

I was surprised that the Padawan wasn't killed. I suppose leaving him barely alive is good bait, but it did get a good gasp out of me.

Lop is adorable. The ending with her and Ocho is pretty sad tho. I felt it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Fifth episode had its ups and downs:

Spoiler
    Show
    Way too much clunky exposition dialogue, especially in the beginning. I’m also not sure about hitting khyber crystals with a hammer as part of the saber-forging process. And I think this is the first we’ve heard of lightsabers changing color to match their owner’s…mood? Aura? Vibe?

That said, enjoyable overall, and I absolutely loved the frozen lake, which was just beautiful. The boatman droid was hilarious (oil tea?) and I liked the ring-hilt on the Margrave’s green lightsaber, which was a great touch.

Most of all I enjoyed the glimpse of a future galaxy, apparently well after the movie cycle, which is a long-overdue foray beyond the very comfortable and heavily-trodden period before and after the Galactic Empire. This episode gets a thumbs-up for that reason alone.

Although was anyone else expecting her to use the lightsaber’s extraordinary length in the duel? I kept waiting for her to counter an attack by one of the Sith with a surprise extension from lightsaber to lightspear.

And I definitely had the feeling we’ll be getting a follow-up episode for this one. Maybe then Kara will be able to use her lightsaber to its full potential.

Episode 7, one of the best so far.

Spoiler
    Show
    Really enjoyed the banter between the Jedi and his padawan, and also Dan’s gung-ho spirit for fighting. Tajin’s low-key attitude was a perfect balance between thoughtful and chill.

Character design for the ex-Sith was effectively creepy, and his ship design was the best I’ve seen yet in this series—it really nailed the Sith feel, while still being distinctive enough to have lines and mood all its own. But I'm not as fond of the Jedi ship; it was certainly distinctive, but weirdly put me in mind of a strange Nostromo/xenomorph blend.

Loved the detail of the mist rising from Tajin’s lightsaber in the rain, and the nod to the almost parental nature of the master-and-padawan relationship. A slightly hokey bit of preaching at the end, but sometimes Jedi masters just can’t help themselves.

And the English-language voice actor for Tajin sounded almost exactly like Harrison Ford, which can’t be a coincidence.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-09-24 at 12:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

And the English-language voice actor for Tajin sounded almost exactly like Harrison Ford, which can’t be a coincidence.
    David Harbour doing excellent voice acting.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Episode 8, even better.

Spoiler
    Show
    I’d been expecting this to be rather goofy, given the bunny-person, but this had some really poignant moments. It has the most in-depth Japanese aesthetic of any of them, and beautifully so. The combination of the crane with the Republic emblem is an elegant and masterful touch.

I also liked the glimpse of how some planets are drawn into the Empire’s web—not by outright conquest, but by willingly entering a “partnership” for the supposed benefits, a partnership which becomes increasingly one-sided.

Overall another excellent fusion of anime style with the spirit and tone of Star Wars. The scene in the family shrine was just perfection. And the ancient calligraphy inside the blade itself was another hauntingly lovely touch.

Like the episode with the Margrave, this really cries out for a second part, and I’m hoping response will be strong enough for there to be a Season Two. Right now they’re saying they have no plans for another season, at least in terms of programming—but I have no doubt that the studios who developed these episodes have ideas for where to go next, and I really hope we get to see them next year.

Episode 9.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did not like this one at all—not the animation, not the characters, not the outcome. I was expecting the red-tinted temptation scene to be a Force vision, so I was both thrown and disappointed when it turned out to be the actual ending.

I did, however, really like the various environments shown in the first few minutes, especially the forests and the ramshackle waystation. In general these episodes have had more of an emphasis on the lands and habitats of their worlds, as being worthy of consideration in their own right rather than merely interesting backdrops for the action. I’d like to think this an influence of the Japanese perspective, and if so it’s certainly a welcome addition to the Star Wars milieu.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-09-24 at 03:48 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: If you selectively qoute a post that is in spoiler tags, please keep the content in spoiler tags.