New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: Visions - First Trailer

A minor nitpick after rewatching a few of these...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The phrase "I got a bad feeling about this" got overused in my opinion. Seems like everyone wanted that line. Maybe half of them used it correctly though.

Overall, my favorites are 1, 7, and 8.
    5 gets the runner-up prize.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by DigoDragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    The phrase "I got a bad feeling about this" got overused in my opinion.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Very much agreed. This has long since become a Star Wars cliche, and while some people may feel it’s de rigeur, I really wish it could be retired.

Originally Posted by DigoDragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Overall, my favorites are 1, 7, and 8.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We’re pretty near on this—my top favorite is 8, followed closely by 7 and 5.

1 is very good as well, but they leaned pretty hard into that particular style of animation, so it’s a little distracting for me. But the last couple minutes were really excellent.

Overall I love this series, and hoping hard for a Season Two.

I'm not sure how they gauge fan reaction, but I'd gladly contribute. Every one of these reads as someone's passion project, and that's something I'd like to support.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Episode 9.

Spoiler
    Show
    Did not like this one at all—not the animation, not the characters, not the outcome. I was expecting the red-tinted temptation scene to be a Force vision, so I was both thrown and disappointed when it turned out to be the actual ending.

I did, however, really like the various environments shown in the first few minutes, especially the forests and the ramshackle waystation. In general these episodes have had more of an emphasis on the lands and habitats of their worlds, as being worthy of consideration in their own right rather than merely interesting backdrops for the action. I’d like to think this an influence of the Japanese perspective, and if so it’s certainly a welcome addition to the Star Wars milieu.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think episode 9 was let down by the 15 minute runtime. It could have done with having the vision of what was going to happen earlier, reinforcing it partway through, and then having it happen in spite of the protagonist's efforts, plus establishing the relationships a bit more thoroughly. That would have taken more time though, a 23 minute short could have pulled it off.

One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it, after all.

1 and 7 were my favourites. I'm a sucker for super stylised use of black and white and minimal colour like in episode 1 (see also: Sin City, The Saboteur), and the heavy hatched shading over the animation gave it an almost rotoscoped look.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Watched the first four.
    Spoiler: Episode 1
    Show
    Umbrella was a bit silly, and I wasn't a fan of "only Sith use red lightsabers!" I mean, I've never been a fan of that, but for random people who tend to not know or care about the difference, having it just be openly said.... Anyway, other that those two, pretty decent job. I like the ronin style they were going for.

Spoiler: Episode 2
    Show
    It grew on me pretty quickly. It's more silly, it embraces being a little more silly, and that kind of works for it. I liked it. But man, that art style. I'm sorry, chibi Boba Fett will never not look weird.

Spoiler: Episode 3
    Show
    ....What?

For reals, this whole episode was basically the "random bull**** GO!" comic meme in Star Wars anime form. Far and away the weakest. Hell, I'll use the word "worst," even though the others weren't bad. This one was bad.

Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    This here, this is EXACTLY what I was hoping this series would be. Loved it. Easily the top episode so far, it's not even close.

Spoiler: Overall thoughts so far
    Show
    The big thing is I really hope at least a few of these move away from Jedi.

Also, whoever did Ep. 3 should not do any others. Ever.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Having watched 5 of the episodes, I am going to say that I love all of them and like all of them but episode 3, which I just didn't care for much. It was just super crazy.

My favorite of the 5 episodes has to be the first episode and I really loved. I didn't have a problem with the animation any because I feel that it gave the impression of the episode of being a kind of flashback to an earlier time in the Galaxy. And it looked great, but I was not thrilled about the weird technology being present with the person in the episode having an R2 unit.

My second favorite was the 5th episode and I liked everything about it. I easily accepted the idea of what shows up as I have played the second Knights of the old republic game and something similar happens with your pc's lightsaber crystal. Also liked the new way of portraying the villains in this episode. It's a completely different way of how that group has been portrayed.

My next two favorites are both the 2nd and 4th episodes. Both were pretty nice and pretty good. Enjoyed the story of each.

For the 3rd episode, I am going to have say that I just didn't like it all that much. The whole premise of it was just nuts, of the twins and I just couldn't get past the other crazy stuff in it

From what I have heard, the first episode is getting a novel made? Is that true? From what we learned about that setting the episode happens in, I think that I want to see more of it.

I was not thrilled with how much of the episodes so far had some relation to order 66. Both 2 and 4 had some relation. I was hoping that there would be more stories drawn from a wider range of existing time periods than just using the fall of the republic and the Empire and the imperial period of the original trilogy.

Have to watch the remaining episodes.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

6. - Top - End - #36

Spoiler: Episode 5 review
    Show
    A bunch of idiots don't really do anything because the plot is idiotic. Also, no need to assess motives or characterizations or anything anymore, because moral absolutism is color coded for your convenience!

7. - Top - End - #37

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    I was not thrilled with how much of the episodes so far had some relation to order 66. Both 2 and 4 had some relation. I was hoping that there would be more stories drawn from a wider range of existing time periods than just using the fall of the republic and the Empire and the imperial period of the original trilogy.

There are.

Spoiler: Time periods
    Show
    One story (1) is a completely alternate universe, four are set between the prequels and OT (2, 4, 6, and 8), two are during or soon after the time of Darth Bane (7 and 9) and two are after the sequels (3 and 5)

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    There are.

Show
    One story (1) is a completely alternate universe, four are set between the prequels and OT (2, 4, 6, and 8), two are during or soon after the time of Darth Bane (7 and 9) and two are after the sequels (3 and 5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, 5 is after the sequels? That makes no sense. Where did the masterless Jedi apprentice come from? Where did the Sith come from?

Imean, granted, episode 5 largely made no sense to start with, but still.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler: Episode 5 review
    Show
    A bunch of idiots don't really do anything because the plot is idiotic. Also, no need to assess motives or characterizations or anything anymore, because moral absolutism is color coded for your convenience!
    But...
    Spoiler: Points
    Show
    Aren't Dragons from Dungeons & Dragons color coded for which are good and evil? Isn't different powers, like given "good" colors and "Evil" colors? Hasn't it been already established previously that Red Lightsabers are usually only used by Sith?

Also, I think that they could have done something about making 6 out of the bunch Sith, but the Sith here all seem to like each other, and care about each other, which is surprising for how the Sith Usually are.

Also, its Star Wars. It runs on Black and White Morality and that Red Lightsaber equals Sith/Evil

Does anyone else think that there should be more Seasons of Visions? I think based on what Episodes I have seen so far (1-5) that more of this in some variation would be really good. Especially if they can be better quality in terms of plots/plotlines.

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine;25210415
    There are.

Show
    Was not Aware, also, I had only watched to Episode 5
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-09-26 at 03:03 PM.

(Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

10. - Top - End - #40

Hasn't it been already established previously that Red Lightsabers are usually only used by Sith?
    Yes, which I complained about then and continue to complain about now. It's stupid. Leia's first lightsaber in Legends was red, for example. Color was nothing but personal choice/stylistic choice. Hell, the rebel X-Wings shot red lasers while the TIEs shot green. But as much as it annoyed me before, it's even dumber now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lightsaber color instantly changes depending on who's holding it? And there is only one color for evil but loads of colors for good? Even though Vader lit Luke's green lightsaber without turning it red, or used his own blue lightsaber to kill a kindergarten class and got the yellow eyes (gotta have the yellow eyes, how else can we show someone is evil? Killing thirty four-year-olds apparently isn't enough to do the trick apparently).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Yes, which I complained about then and continue to complain about now. It's stupid. Leia's first lightsaber in Legends was red, for example. Color was nothing but personal choice/stylistic choice. Hell, the rebel X-Wings shot red lasers while the TIEs shot green. But as much as it annoyed me before, it's even dumber now.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightsaber color instantly changes depending on who's holding it? And there is only one color for evil but loads of colors for good? Even though Vader lit Luke's green lightsaber without turning it red, or used his own blue lightsaber to kill a kindergarten class and got the yellow eyes (gotta have the yellow eyes, how else can we show someone is evil? Killing thirty four-year-olds apparently isn't enough to do the trick apparently).
    i think that you need to blame George Lucas who established the Red color thing and then Disney went with it. given that disney came up with a way that lightsabers go red and one that apparently only sith do, it makes it a cultural thing for sith to have red lightsabers then

12. - Top - End - #42

i think that you need to blame George Lucas who established the Red color thing and then Disney went with it. given that disney came up with a way that lightsabers go red and one that apparently only sith do, it makes it a cultural thing for sith to have red lightsabers then
    ... I already do, though?

As I said, I hated it already (when Lucas changed it to be that way) and I hate it more now that it's even dumber.

Also, The Ninth Jedi is getting tons of love online. People can't get enough of it. Interesting to know that one of the absolute bottom-barrel ones for me is beloved by a lot of vocal others.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Fives episodes in, let's go.
    Spoiler: The Duel
    Show
    The best one so far. And now, I want to rewatch Seven Samurai. Again. Lightsaber-umbrella was mercifully not used too much. I really like the reveal that the hero is a Sith too. He only gets involved when the Sith Lady reveals herself and damages his droid, so at first I thought he was just angry about that. But with the reveal of his red crystal collection, it looks like he's hunting other Sith. Why? Is he a Light-Side Sith who wants to protect the galaxy from the others? Or does henjust want to prove his superiority iver his peers? And why does he give a crystal to the child leader at the end? Is he simply being generous towards a defenseless group? Or was he impressed by the kid's bravery earlier? I don't really want answers to this, I like when things are up to interpretation.

Spoiler: Tatooine Rhapsody
    Show
    Fine, I guess. Just kinda mediocre. I like the idea of a Hutt rockstar who doesn't want anything to do with criminal empires and I like that the padawan didn't ultimately become a Jedi Knigjt for one but found another way in life. Baby Fett was ridiculous and the music was nowhere near as good as the episode tells me it was though. Still noce to have a non-violent resolution, once in a while.

Spoiler: The Twins
    Show
    The worst one. On paper a Sith Lord going rogue to protect his sister who does not mind dying for the cause and is angry at him for his betrayal would be something I'd like but... Wow, kind of everything in this episode is bad. Yet another Death Star, with a somehow even more ridiculous design. I really didn't care whether any of the protagonist survived. Six-armed Sith Lady for some reason. Just an endless fight. The boy has a lightsaber that can cleave a destroyer in two but is precise enough to cut the crystal out of his sister's armour without hurting her. How is the nurse droid the only one who can't breath in space?!

Spoiler: The Bride
    Show
    That was nice. I liked the glimpse into another's culture understanding of the Force, or Magina. Even though it played no part in the episode's resolution. Really sells how terrifyong facing a Jedi in combat can be too. The Jedi's lower face reveal was uinderwhelming. Also, how did the old man get his helmet back? It blew a whole ship up!

Spoiler: The Ninth Jedi
    Show
    A solid episode that feels kind of like the pilot of another show. The idea of a lightsaber colour reflecting the wielder's identity is something I always wanted in SW, because it makes the weapons more mystical and explains the otherwise-weird colour-coding. Maybe not to the extent of it changing colour the instant you hand it to somebody else, though. The twist was nice, but I am confused as to why one of the Sith was a mind-controlled(?) Jedi. Also wish Ethan had performed better in the fight. Nice to see Sith care about one another too, give them some flavour. The Sith can't all be Palpatine. Harvesting asteroids by trebuchet is a tad silly as was the tea-drinking droid. Also, why does the sabersmith not count as a Jedi? Unlike with The Duel, I would not mind seeing more of these characters.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #44

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler: Tatooine Rhapsody
    Show
    Fine, I guess. Just kinda mediocre. I like the idea of a Hutt rockstar who doesn't want anything to do with criminal empires and I like that the padawan didn't ultimately become a Jedi Knigjt for one but found another way in life. Baby Fett was ridiculous and the music was nowhere near as good as the episode tells me it was though. Still noce to have a non-violent resolution, once in a while.
    To be honest, this is one of the ones that really suffers if you watched it in English. They were all very very clearly scripted in Japanese, with all the scene cadence and emphasis that language structure implies, and the songs in that episode are massive casualties of the translation.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

To be honest, this is one of the ones that really suffers if you watched it in English. They were all very very clearly scripted in Japanese, with all the scene cadence and emphasis that language structure implies, and the songs in that episode are massive casualties of the translation.
    I'm guessing they went from "meh" to "actually bad" then?
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #46

Fives episodes in, let's go.
    Show
    The boy has a lightsaber that can cleave a destroyer in two but is precise enough to cut the crystal out of his sister's armour without hurting her. How is the nurse droid the only one who can't breath in space?!
    Show
    I think the craziest part in my mind came down to the boy standing on the nose of the X-wing and jumping to light speed in that final attack. To quote the great Joel Hodgson, "I call No Way."

If the point was to go over-the-top bonkers, they nailed it.

Show
    Harvesting asteroids by trebuchet is a tad silly as was the tea-drinking droid. Also, why does the sabersmith not count as a Jedi? Unlike with The Duel, I would not mind seeing more of these characters.
    Show
    I agree that those little things were a bit silly, but I feel like they give the Star Wars setting a unique feel you don't see in most other science fiction space settings.

I do wonder how many non-jedi could learn to build lightsabers. It seems like it would be a very close to zero number.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #47

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Show
    I think the craziest part in my mind came down to the boy standing on the nose of the X-wing and jumping to light speed in that final attack. To quote the great Joel Hodgson, "I call No Way."

If the point was to go over-the-top bonkers, they nailed it.
    Yes, that was very much the point. Anyone who knows what Hiroyuki Imaishi does should have expected it.

18. - Top - End - #48

Yes, that was very much the point. Anyone who knows what Hiroyuki Imaishi does should have expected it.
    And the people who don't know what he does just get an episode full of random bull****. Not a great idea, IMO. I really, really hate that one.

19. - Top - End - #49

I confess I am not familiar with Hiroyuki Imaishi, but a quick Google and I recognize a lot of his work. It isn't the kind of anime I usually watch, but I see now why that episode is so off the wall. ^^
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wait, 5 is after the sequels? That makes no sense. Where did the masterless Jedi apprentice come from? Where did the Sith come from?

Imean, granted, episode 5 largely made no sense to start with, but still.
    Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    I think the idea is that it's set a looooong time after the Sequel Trilogy. The Jedi Order rose again and then it fell again when the Sith rose again and now it is getting ready to rise again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show
    I think the idea is that it's set a looooong time after the Sequel Trilogy. The Jedi Order rose again and then it fell again when the Sith rose again and now it is getting ready to rise again. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, the destroyed Sith. So nice to know that even far in the future, only two Force religions will still have ever existed.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah yes, the destroyed Sith. So nice to know that even far in the future, only two Force religions will still have ever existed.
    Hey, as far as know this one isn't confirmed to be canon. It might be an alternate future just like the first one is in an alternate past.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #53

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, that ship has long since sailed. They might have made a big noise about ditching the old extended universe but they repeated all of its worst impulses, making the universe ever smaller by circling the same old Jedi/Sith conflict over and over and narrowing the focus so that even fewer characters really mattered.

Back just before the prequels SF author David Brin wrote an, at the time quite unfair, critique of Star Wars as the tale of a genetic force-aristocracy in which the doings of the little people didn't matter and the fate of the galaxy rested in the caprice of the few. And some fans read that and thought "Hell yeah, that's the Star Wars I want!"

And they happened to be the ones who got to write it.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-10-10 at 06:39 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by GloatingSwine
    Anyone who knows what Hiroyuki Imaishi does should have expected it.
    Never heard of him. Whatever his style may be, it’s not a good fit for Star Wars. Disliked this episode extremely, and it’s the only one I won’t watch a continuation of.

Give me more Lop and Ochō, is what I say.

Originally Posted by GloatingSwine
    And some fans read that and thought "Hell yeah, that's the Star Wars I want!"

And they happened to be the ones who got to write it.
    Do you have a citation for this presumed connection?

25. - Top - End - #55

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Do you have a citation for this presumed connection?
    Yeah, Rise of Skywalker :P

26. - Top - End - #56

Back just before the prequels SF author David Brin wrote an, at the time quite unfair, critique of Star Wars as the tale of a genetic force-aristocracy in which the doings of the little people didn't matter and the fate of the galaxy rested in the caprice of the few.
    "quite unfair"? When this was already established in RotJ and the books that had come out? It sounds pretty dang fair to me.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

"quite unfair"? When this was already established in RotJ and the books that had come out? It sounds pretty dang fair to me.
    I'm not sure how RotJ establishes that?

Edit: like the Skywalker drama has basically no impact on the Battle of Endor.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-10-10 at 09:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58

I'm not sure how RotJ establishes that?

Edit: like the Skywalker drama has basically no impact on the Battle of Endor.
    Luke and Vader both realize Leia's potential significance as a powerful Force user due to nothing other than a family bond, which firmly established the genetic Force aspect. The Skywalker going off on the speeder bikes is how they found the Ewoks and Leia's befriending of them and Luke's Force powers are how they allied with the Ewoks, which had major impact on the Battle of Endor (ie without the Ewoks, the Rebels would have lost right out the gate. You could argue that C-3PO was also instrumental, which would be true, but he sas a servant of the Force aristocracy, being both Leia's personal droid aide after SW and also Luke's property and does whatever Luke commands him, such as pretending to be a god despite his programming forbidding it, so pretty much still falls under the Force aristocracy controlling events).

The Force aristocracy is pretty crap, and the EU books definitely leaned into that before the prequels went whole hog in that direction.

29. - Top - End - #59

Flumph

At the time Brin was writing on it you could still write Star Wars stories where the characters weren't all Jedi all the time (even if they devolved into them later). You had stories like the Rogue Squadron stories, non-Sith villains like Thrawn and Isard, etc. The primary way videogames explored Star Wars was through characters who weren't Jedi like the X-Wing series, Rebel Assault, etc.

Even just within the movies there were as many significant non-Jedi/Sith characters who got to shape the course of the story as there were force users.

As I said, when Brin wrote it, the criticism took a narrow view of what Star Wars was in order to make its point. But since he wrote it it has been made truer over time.

30. - Top - End - #60

At the time Brin was writing on it you could still write Star Wars stories where the characters weren't all Jedi all the time (even if they devolved into them later). You had stories like the Rogue Squadron stories, non-Sith villains like Thrawn and Isard, etc. The primary way videogames explored Star Wars was through characters who weren't Jedi like the X-Wing series, Rebel Assault, etc.

Even just within the movies there were as many significant non-Jedi/Sith characters who got to shape the course of the story as there were force users.

As I said, when Brin wrote it, the criticism took a narrow view of what Star Wars was in order to make its point. But since he wrote it it has been made truer over time.
    X-Wing is an interesting book example, since the main character was planned to be a Jedi from the outset. Also, characters loke Wedge, Thrawn, etc are part of the group of elite players who far outshine the small folk and ordinary people. The "ordinary people" we get are people like Han Solo, who can fly through an asteroid field unharmed and light speed jump through shields somehow. He may not be part of the Force aristocracy but he is still very much not one of the small people. Rogue One, for its flaws, is the most visible example of Star Wars finally moving away from that. And even then, it didn't really take. But it was still true when he wrote it. It was a very fair criticism.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-10 at 10:00 AM.