New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

Hargrimm will take a moment to copy some of the runes into his journal. "We might find more meaning to these later and I'd rather not have to come back here to look at them." he gives as an explanation.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He'll take no more than 5 minutes or until the rest of the party get annoyed. Which ever comes up first. Conveniently, that'll also give time for the temp HP to return to the injured.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

Anyone else do anything while Hargrimm jots down what he sees? Because he doesn't know the language (Varisian), Hargrimm won't get nearly as much written as he would hope since he has to keep checking himself on unfamiliar language.

Othello's fortification from Hargrimm gets back to full.

Meanwhile, anyone else do anything?
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"FASCINATING... Right... Let's move along..."

Othello looks around and begins to head off the way they were originally going.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #274

While the rest of the party is respectfully allowing someone to try to transcribe what they see, Othello commits the grave sin of splitting the party and finds himself in front of the front of the Harrowstone Facade. A two-story stone building looms in the center of the prison grounds. Ivy and moss cling tenaciously to the walls, while above the wooden shingles of the roof are often missing entirely, exposing the wooden rafters of the upper structure to the sky. Here and there, leering stone gargoyles perch on the eaves, once functioning as drainspouts and decorations but now seeming almost to serve a more ominous role of sentinels. Many of these stone decorations have crumbled away and lie in ruined piles on the soggy ground below. Windows in the building’s facade are narrow and blocked by grills of rusty iron bars. Stone columns support a slumping wooden balcony over the building’s wooden front doors, both of which hang askew and reveal dark glimpses of chambers within.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Razvan will assist Hargrimm as best as he is able and also examine the runes to see if he can determine anything further. "I wonder what these runes are for, nothing good I assume. Does anyone know if these are magic and if so can anyone figure out what they are for?"

Spoiler: Runes
    Show

Razvan will use any skills he can to assist Hargrimm in copying the runes and or ID them. Will use any senses or lore if it helps.

But also want to use survival or other method to perhaps see how old the blood and or runes are?
    Last edited by Moriar; 2021-09-01 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Colored too much text

6. - Top - End - #276

SamuraiGirl

Still nervous after the encounter with the scythe, Marius gladly aids Hargrimm with his study of the runes, offering whatever knowledge he can from his childhood Varisian language or adult academic studies. At the mention of Lyvar Hawkran, Marius scrunches his face for a moment in reflection before realization sinks in. "Hawkran... isn't that the last name of the warden who died here? Strange that his name is on these runes. Do you think it was a ward of some kind to trap the prisoners inside but allow him free passage? Or maybe those Whispering Way fellows were attempting to contact his spirit? Sadly I'm of little use in examining the magics at play, but it is most curious."

Having done what he can to assist with the runic work, Marius sets Paula back on the ground once they've dealt with any stairs in her way, allowing her to once more bring up a distant rear while he assists in keeping an eye on things from the front whenever the party resumes pushing forward.

7. - Top - End - #277

So, here's the thing. You can't help someone write something down. I mean, you can let them do it and harp, looking over their shoulders ... or you can just take over and do it for him when you get frustrated because his lack of understanding of the language means he can't memorize sections of passage and write them down, but must write down every character or two painstakingly.

Razvan knows only that the blood is older than a few days, enough to be that russet color, but nothing beyond that. On the other hand, he can tell that it is less than a few months old since the blood hasn't been affected much by the elements.

Assuming that Zauberei takes Razvan's request, he can cast detect magic and there is no aura of magic here. Marius proves a good person to bounce ideas off of regarding possibilities for the arcane usages of the runes, and the two men determine that the runes seem to have been part of a larger ritual that involve both abjuration and necromantic magic, but that is all they can figure for now until they can study the runes at length (possibly).
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"So where shall we en..." as Othello turns and realises he's alone...

"Ruh roh..."

He heads back to the group...

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

9. - Top - End - #279

Beholder

"Based on the age of the blood, my estimation may place it during the professors investigation of the prison. This is not solid proof yet but definitely gives credence to the presence of the Whispering Way having been here. Perhaps there presence is tied to the Professors untimely demise."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax focuses his senses in order to access his feral nature. "Let's see if I can determine if the blood is animal or humanoid." He leans down to study the runes, inhaling deeply when his head is close.

Spoiler: Action:
    Show
    using scent, which is always in effect and costs no resources.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

11. - Top - End - #281

Abrax cannot tell the scent of the blood, for too long has it been exposed to the air.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Walking back to join the group, Othello says, "Sorry gang. I just get excited to smite undead and sometimes get carried away... What did we find?" and he politely listens if anyone brings him up to speed.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sorry Othello, I wanted to make sure we had this written down for later perusal, but it's pretty hard to copy down a script you're unfamiliar with. It mentions Hawkran, the warden from when the prison burned down."

"I don't want to waste anymore daylight or your zeal. I'm ready to move on...from a safe distance behind you of course."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"No apologies necessary! If everyone is ready to head to the entrance?"

If all agree then he will turn and return whence he came before returning whence... he...was?

15. - Top - End - #285

So, the party only spent 5 minutes here, which was Hargrimm's internal clock telling himself when he'd be bored. But the script isn't fully copied.

Hargrimm, do you have a Varisian-proficient writer take over and finish the task, or do you ask the party to push on like Othello is looking to do?

Any other input?
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286

MonkGuy

"I could help with that Hargrimm.", Zauberei offers.

17. - Top - End - #287

Zauberei looks at what Hargrimm has, and it is, to be fair ... a trainwreck. He gave himself an arbitrary clock and then tried to go too quickly. Razvan had to be careful not to freak him out and rush him farther, but Hargrimm doesn't even have a good sense of linguistic commonalities. Why he thought he should do this task is mind-boggling. By the end, Zauberei has to just start from the beginning for total rework. The task taking another 15 minutes.

But that task is done, and ready for later study (hopefully as a group activity, and not "I've got it" hero failure by one enthusiastic person).

The group gets back in formation and is now facing the Harrowstone facade (see above). They then finish the task of checking the periphery ... seeing more scripts to the east/south of the facade that match the northern/western script. Then it is the eastern balcony abutting the main building (see Discord maps for explored outer areas of Harrowstone).

Now, it's back to the facade. To recap for everyone that didn't dawdle off alone (foolishly) ...

A two-story stone building looms in the center of the prison grounds. Ivy and moss cling tenaciously to the walls, while above the wooden shingles of the roof are often missing entirely, exposing the wooden rafters of the upper structure to the sky. Here and there, leering stone gargoyles perch on the eaves, once functioning as drainspouts and decorations but now seeming almost to serve a more ominous role of sentinels. Many of these stone decorations have crumbled away and lie in ruined piles on the soggy ground below. Windows in the building’s facade are narrow and blocked by grills of rusty iron bars. Stone columns support a slumping wooden balcony over the building’s wooden front doors, both of which hang askew and reveal dark glimpses of chambers within.

What now?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

Beholder

"Nothing like beginning our investigation of the interior with the front door. Othello, you are eager to explore...did you want the honors of checking and or opening the door?"

Razvan will keep watch but stay out from under the overhanging balcony.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm shuts the journal after letting the ink set. "Right, maybe we can let that be more of a reminder to come back here and do a more in depth copy." He does this as much to move the party along as to hide his substandard efforts.

He looks towards the front door as Razvan suggests. "I'll give it a look to see if there's any magic on or around the door. I believe some of you also have spells that can check for similar things?
    he says, glad to change the subject.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hargrimm will cast Detect Magic and check the door for up to the full 3 rounds.

20. - Top - End - #290

Hargrimm senses no magical emanation from anywhere along the facade.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291

SamuraiGirl

After Hargrimm's magical scan of the entryway, with a hint of irony Marius gestures at the sagging doors, "I would offer to unlock the entrance, but Harrowstone seems open for visitors." More seriously, he adds, "I will probably regret this, but maybe I should sneak ahead quietly to make sure there's not an ambush of necromancers lurking. Then whoever wants to take the lead from there is more than welcome to do so." Smiling resignedly, he concludes, "But if you hear me scream bloody murder, do rescue me, okay?"

Unless anyone immediately objects, Marius attempts to sneak inside the building through the open doorway while looking for any traps or waiting enemies. Should the way seem clear, he will wave forward the rest of the party with Paula at the rear.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello will nod his agreement and after it is determined the way is clear he will assume the lead and takes a cautious stance as he proceeds.

Spoiler: Technical info
    Show

He assumes Silver Crane Waltz stance as they proceed.

23. - Top - End - #293

So, as Marius goes forward to investigate, and at this point, it is just easier to have Abrax and Marius switch places since Marius will be in the front so often.

What Marius sees ... This was once a wide hall flanked by a pair of waiting rooms, but the foyer to Harrowstone now lies in ruins. With little left to hold up the ceiling, the wooden beams above sag dramatically. The wall to the north contains a large pair of oaken doors. Even a cursory glance of the roof tells Marius that the balcony above is unstable.

What now?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello heads to cautiously investigate the doors and waves Marius over to check.

25. - Top - End - #295

Othello gets to the doors, and Marius comes over to check them. Meanwhile, the rest of the party goes up the stairs so as not to have too much ground to cover if the first two get in trouble. In checking the door, Marius doesn't sense anything amiss. The doors are made of wood, and hang rotting on their hinges.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello gently gives the doors a push, preparing to step through.

27. - Top - End - #297

Nothing happens, when very likely Marius would politely point out to him that the doors open outwards.

When Othello tries to open the door, it doesn't open. It doesn't seem locked or anything, so much as the rotting would and decrepit nature of the door has made them difficult to open. It takes Othello two more tries before he is able to open a door, and in doing so, the door comes off of its hinges and falls down, which in turn causes Marius to jump so he doesn't get hit by the second door that also falls.

Inside, it is dark, as one can expect of an abandoned structure, though the wan light of day does help. Marius can't see too well at all, though Othello's darkvision easily sees the area beyond. Streaks of mold stain the walls of this foyer, and the floor below is a thick, gray carpet of fungal growth. Sturdy wooden doors beckon from every wall.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #298

SamuraiGirl

After Marius collects himself, he looks down at the collapsed doors and says with a shrug, "Well, that was likely inevitable, so it saves us that danger should we need to exit quickly. This place seems a mess, and I imagine many of us will need lanterns if we're all to see anything further in, which will give us away just as much. Stealth may not be much of an option in this ruin, I'm afraid." At that, Marius will stow his shield in order to withdraw and light the hooded lantern from his backpack to provide a clearer view of the situation.

With his hands occupied, Marius shifts to a second-row position, in light of his reduced defenses and two full hands. Thus, he'll let someone else actually step into the foyer.
    Last edited by Ason; 2021-09-07 at 11:56 PM. Reason: polearm is taller than marius

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Hmmmm... Fungus on the floor ahead... Before we disturb any spores, does anyone have any familiarity?"

30. - Top - End - #300

Beholder

Razvan will peer over Marius' shoulder and examine the situation.

"I do have some cursory knowledge in that realm..."

Spoiler: Peek a boo
    Show

Using his sense and lore will examine the room to see what may be the situation there and to try and help figure out what the mold may be.

If there is time, Razvan will also try using Detect Undead to see if there is another undead/haunt like that floating scythe.