New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

Razvan moving forward is what gives Marius a second-rank slot to move to as the others move up the stairs and closer. He doesn't sense anything.

Zauberei and Marius discuss the mold, and determine while it can be a long-term breathing hazard, it is really just background mold and mildew of a non-exceptional variety, and not some flesh-eating primordial ooze.

What now?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello will cautiously step forward and say, "That's one small step for a dwarf... Well, because that's all we can take... Anyway, do we want to check each door as we proceed? I think it best not to leave any uninvestigated spaces at our backs."

If there are no objections, he will approach the nearest door and gesture for the trap checker extraordinaire to do his thing.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-09-09 at 06:28 AM.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Zauberei will cast light on his quarterstaff. "Shirak."

4. - Top - End - #304

Beholder

Razvan will blink a few times to adjust to the different lighting conditions now present. "That is wise to evaluate the setting and examine the room and doors before proceeding. "

Razvan will stay at the doorway while/if people do proceeding into to check out doors etc.

5. - Top - End - #305

SamuraiGirl

Marius nods his head at Othello's request. "That's a wise precaution. We can't walk down every hallway simultaneously, but peeking into each room beforehand will at least help us decide where how to move our focus from room to room. I'll see what I can do." With that, Marius begins to inspect the doors for any kind of dangers, whether traps, locks or sounds coming from the other side. The young man leaves the actual opening of doors and peeking beyond to someone else and instead merely works to determine the safety of such an act before returning to his second-row position.

With his initial survey complete, Marius suggests, "If we want to be somewhat discrete, I suggest someone with darkvision take the first look behind whichever door we pick: they'll likely see far better than I can in these conditions."

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"That's another wise idea... As a dwarf, I can see well in the dark... We refer to it as 'Tunnel Vision'... well... Not we, so much as I... I refer to it as 'Tunnel Vison' because I can see well in the tunnels... Never really caught on at home... Nonetheless... Let us proceed?"

And as long as no traps, locks, or sounds were involved at the first door, Othello looks first to see if it says "Push" or "Pull" then based on that, opens it cautiously and peer inside...
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-09-10 at 06:31 AM.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm squints a bit when Othello mentions "Tunnel Vision", but not having much experience with tunnels himself, decides to take his word for it.

"I can stay back to heal anyone that needs it or throw light at anyone that deserves it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hargrimm switches his quarterstaff into his buckler hand to leave the other one open for light throwing and/or spell components.

8. - Top - End - #308

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by BuckGodot View Post
    "That's another wise idea... As a dwarf, I can see well in the dark... We refer to it as 'Tunnel Vision'... well... Not we, so much as I... I refer to it as 'Tunnel Vison' because I can see well in the tunnels... Never really caught on at home... Nonetheless... Let us proceed?"

And as long as no traps, locks, or sounds were involved at the first door, Othello looks first to see if it says "Push" or "Pull" then based on that, opens it cautiously and peer inside...

"The only tunnels that I have seen are the ones that our servants used to use to get from one place to another if father did not want them to be seen...which was often. That is interesting that your vision works best in tunnels, are you able to best see in the dark on in tunnels?

For my own vision, I can see well in most any amount of ambient light that may or may not be present. Though I would prefer to provide fire support away from the frontline if possible."

9. - Top - End - #309

Marius moves in and takes a look at the western door, then the northern door, and finally the eastern door before coming back and starting the darkvision conversation. The doors do not appear to be trapped that he can tell.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello will open the western door and step inside.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-09-12 at 12:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311

Othello steps into the room, transferring his dwarven waraxe to his shield hand as he might do for spells (which means it is carried, not wielded at that point). Knowing what to expect, he muscles open the door. This time, the door doesn't fall off of its hinges, but at least is opened, revealing a 60'-long hallway with plenty of doors and what seems to be a turn to the north at the end.

Just then, the door that Othello had just opened slams shut. Othello and Marius and Razvan (who just started seeing ... something ... with the remainder of his detect undead) saw the door shut.

What now?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello immediately switches his axe back to his other hand and continues to maintain the defensive stance he is in...

"Okay... We all saw that... Right?"

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

Maintaining Silver Crane Waltz stance.

13. - Top - End - #313

Beholder

"I sensed some type of undead briefly before the doors started moving on their own. Some sort of undead or haunt may be present."

Spoiler: Thinking
    Show

Razvan will look for any clue in the room using senses and lore?

14. - Top - End - #314

Beholder

"Target the doors with positive energy. That should work against this type of haunt."

Razvan utters a few words of incantation and a ray shoots towards the door across the way.

Spoiler: Positive Intent
    Show

Looks like the north door is the open target from Razvans position.

Cast Disrupt Undead. To hit the door with point blank shot and precise (1d20+8)[19] and damage (1d6)[2]

15. - Top - End - #315

As soon as that is done, Razvan senses nothing. Othello is able to pull the door of the hinges as with other doors, ruining that door, and revealing the hallway beyond.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello looks back to the others and says, "Easy enough. I suggest we check the other doors in the entranceway and see if they are hallways as well. If they are rooms, I'd prefer they were cleared before moving on. Again, nothing at our backs... Agreed?"

17. - Top - End - #317

SamuraiGirl

Marius chimes in, "That was the plan, yes, and then we'll decide on which route to pursue. Although I am concerned that--while I might be able to detect physical presences--the apparitions inhabiting this place seem immune to my mundane means. Caution is thus doubly warranted."
    Last edited by Ason; 2021-09-15 at 02:51 PM. Reason: insert language to show who is speaking

18. - Top - End - #318

Okay, what door is next?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

"Let's try the door across from this one. It should be less likely to lead deeper into the building if I remember the exterior correctly." Hargrimm suggests, pointing to the single door to the southeast.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Agreed..." and Othello turns back to the door across and cautiously opens the door.

21. - Top - End - #321

Beholder

Razvan nods in agreement and begins concentrating again. "Hopefully I can sense something and give you a warning before any harm befalls you."

Spoiler: Furrowed Brow
    Show

Begins concentrating on detect undead again just in case and will warn the party if there is something.

22. - Top - End - #322

Marius will step aside as Othello goes to the door, and Razvan directly behind him while looking for inquietude of spirits. The door does not open casually, but does open as Othello rips it off of its hinges (no longer a door effectively at that portal, either). Beyond, Othello sees a podium and a chair behind a west-east row of iron bars. Thirty feet on the other side of this ... passage? ... is another door. And through the iron bars, also on the other side, he sees a set of double doors.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello steps into the room and motions for Marius to check these doors as he looks around the room, checking the podium and chair.

"I'm guessing this would be where you access the cells? Perhaps where a guard would sit and allow entrance to the area beyond."

24. - Top - End - #324

Once Othello actually steps in, though, his above statement trails off about halfway through as it is obvious that is not the intent of this room. Several rows of wooden benches, all spotted with mold and sagging with neglect, face a stage walled off from the rest of the room by a wall of iron bars. it seems like this may have been some type of auditorium or the like?

Once Othello is inside looking at the podium, he realizes it is much colder there than it was by the door.
    Spoiler: Razvan
    Show
    You sense formless spirit energy in an area including where Othello is, but not centered there.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325

Beholder

"I am not sure if this was a simple holding area for prisoner transfers. Though I suggest that you beware Othello, I sense a restless spirit in that room. I will see if I can determine anything further."

Spoiler: Focus
    Show

Razvan will concentrate on his detect undead to see if he can narrow the source. If he is able to use senses or lore to determine anything further than he will do so. He will also convey any knowledge that he learns to the party.

Last edited by Moriar; 2021-09-14 at 09:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

Razvan, from his current position, cannot see the source. It is more north in the room, and the doorway cuts off his vision to that point.

Othello, what do you do?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello moves further into the room so that the others may follow, maintaining his defensive stance. He then asks Iomedae to guide him in seeking out evil in this room.

Show

MA: Move 1 sq west to stand in the nw corner of the square between the podium and chair maintaining Silver Crane Waltz stance.

Cast Detect Evil and focus a 60’ cone to the nw part of the room.

Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-09-15 at 03:21 AM.

28. - Top - End - #328

Othello moves further into the room so that the others may follow, maintaining his defensive stance. He then asks Iomedae to guide him in seeking out evil in this room.
    Spoiler: Othello
    Show
    He does sense evil in the direction he's currently looking.

The temperature in the whole area drops to freezing, and Othello breathes out a puff of moist, warm air even as he takes 6 negative energy damage as something is trying to steal his living warmth and strength!

Marius, you did not see/ sense what just happened. What do you do? You don't see anything because it is pitch black in here, but for the wan light of the front. You need illumination.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-09-16 at 12:18 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Gahhhh!! There is something evil here! It is attempting to freeze me!"
    shouts Othello and he backs away from the perceived evil.

Show

Moves east 10' putting his back to the wall.

30. - Top - End - #330

Marius, Othello just got out "Gahhhh!! There is..." and nothing else (yet). What do you do?
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Also, Othello has not moved.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-09-16 at 11:24 AM.
    Show