New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

"Should get this paperwork back to the Professors home or press on? " Razvan puts to the group. "If we are keen to read these pages then it eould be best done back near a warm fire."

2. - Top - End - #422

MonkGuy

Zauberei says, "I say it is close to evening and we should head back."

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm nods in agreement. "I doubt anything good happens here after nightfall. We should head out." He points to the ruined doors. "If the Whispering Way is in Harrowstone, then they'll soon know someone else has been here. I worry that our unsubtle approach might lead them to the manor."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello suggests that we make this a sort of base camp. Do some research here, then look at some of the surrounding rooms to clear them before dark and then set up defensively in this room for the night. Unless we find a better room in our short explorations. His main argument being that since we’re here we may as well stay. If we head back to town, there’s a chance the authorities may have either noticed our approach or someone reported us. We may not get the chance to come back…
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-10-12 at 12:09 AM.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #425
    Colossus in the Playground

So, that is three to leave, and 1 to stay. So, at best one of the other two recommend heading back and it's a done deal. Or, the two who haven't said anything yet agree with Othello, in which case the group is at loggerheads.

Abrax ... Marius, what say you?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax nods along with Othello's points, particularly the one about local authorities, "I have great concerns about the locals, particularly those in authority. I prefer to keep working until we have no choice but to leave."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427

SamuraiGirl

"I don't want to be near this place after dark," Marius frets, "Hargrimm's right about the doors revealing our presence, but sadly that cannot be helped. It is peculiar that the cultists hadn't broken them down already, but perhaps that mystery will likewise unveil itself in time. I too say we take the papers home for review this evening, and then tomorrow we can resume our efforts. As for the locals, all we can do is keep our heads down for now and pray we find more substantial evidence in these papers or in tomorrow's work that better can explain our research trips when push comes to shove."

8. - Top - End - #428

Alright, assuming we all keep to the time-honored "don't split the party" and Othello and Abrax don't stay here while everyone else returns to Lorrimor Place for a warm meal, warm home, and comfortable bed .... the whole party pulls back, and everyone loads themselves down with as much paperwork as they can carry to sift through and research at Lorrimor Place.

The party does indeed return home and are asked to clean their face and hands and remove all mud and mold and dirt from their clothes before traipsing through the house.

Wren will actually arrive about an hour after the party gets back home, and everyone has their at-dinner debrief.

Kendra looks to the party (Wren not included) and asks, "So, the town is nervous and worried and all abuzz about the outsiders going to Harrowstone today. What did you find out? Anything?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello looks around the room with a hint of 'I told you so...' in his eyes before beginning to relate the events of the foray, wrapping up with the collection of papers set aside for further research...

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

10. - Top - End - #430

Beholder

"Well told Othello. Do you have any questions Kendra?" Razvan asks.

Spoiler: papers
    Show

If Kendra has no questions, Razvan will suggest that "we all get started going through these papers. "

11. - Top - End - #431

Kendra looks confused, "I ... just asked my question."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm pipes up. "We didn't learn much. Yet. We gathered paperwork to review for clues. We'll need to go back to Harrowstone for more investigation."

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello nods his agreement, a bit of gravy and potato dripping from his beard as he reaches for a third roll.

14. - Top - End - #434

Beholder

"We have learned that there is evil present at the prison and some possible proof of the cults presence. After spending several hours collecting the paperwork we thought it best to come back to look it over in a safer environment. " Razvan explains further.

15. - Top - End - #435

SamuraiGirl

Marius nods his head in agreement. "While we haven't yet found direct proof of Professor Lorrimor's suspicions, clearly something is amiss at Harrowstone. Even if there is no plot going on at the prison, merely pacifying its restless spirits would be a kindness to the deceased and to the town that would make it worthwhile. Hopefully we can find some answers in these papers." With a more concerned look, the young man then asks Kendra and Wren, "You said the town was nervous about our trip today. Should we be worried about that? I don't want to fall afoul of the local authorities, though I can't think of a law we've broken."

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello looks at Marius...

"Well... No LAW... but Father GRIMburrow was fairly specific..."

17. - Top - End - #437

SamuraiGirl

"True," Marius counters while wiping up the remains of his meal with a bit of roll, "But if I recall your debriefing after you came back from that meeting with him, I thought the priest only commented on the Restlands and not on the prison itself. Did he also forbid our research into Harrowstone? That might complicate matters greatly, if so."

18. - Top - End - #438

Kendra answers, "I am not sure what Father Grimburrow told you, but I doubt he made mention of anything outside the cathedral or the Restlands, for that is his only authority. And Sheriff Caeller is a friend and I wouldn't worry about him. But the town seems to have been experiencing the odd ... unsettlement ... here and there. And then there's the bloodstain on the monument, and the town is on edge."

"I actually conducted research at the Cathedral today," says Wren, in his raggedy clothes. "I wanted to learn more about the notorious 'Five Prisoners,' that were mentioned in your previous studies. So, I focused on the one called 'Father Charlatan' since a person who is a charlatan tends to be charismatic. And if there was any association with these Five Prisoners, he might have been more central or found a way to take on some type of leadership role? I don't know. But what I found was that the so-called 'Father Charlatan' was a prisoner by the name of Sefick Corvin.

"Of the five notorious prisoners, only Father Charlatan was not technically a murderer, yet his crimes were so blasphemous that several churches demanded he be punished to the full extent of Ustalavic law. Although he claimed to be an ordained priest of any number of faiths, Father Corvin was in fact a traveling con artist who used faith as a mask and a means to bilk the faithful out of money in payment for false miracles or cures. He became known as Father Charlatan after his scheme was exposed and his Sczarni accomplices murdered a half-dozen city guards in an attempt to make good the group’s escape.

"That's all I could find on him, though, so tomorrow I will try to find information on another prisoner. Ms. Lorrimor, you're a diviner, are you not? A woman skilled in finding the unknown? if you could assist me while these brave folk continue to look into Harrowstone itself, the two of us could keep up the research end with the papers they found while the rest of you do the physical, on-site legwork?"

She nods. "That would be a good use of my time, I admit. I am in the middle of the 'waiting game' with legal issues regarding the estate, and it would be a good distraction. What do the rest of you think?"
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-10-14 at 10:50 PM.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I think... Othello says, looking at the table sadly, "That I wish there were more roast... But alas... At any rate, I suggest we spend the rest of the evening researching, rest up and get an early start back at the site tomorrow. Wren, you made a good suggestion and thank you, Miss for your aid."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-10-14 at 11:22 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440

Beholder

"Thank you for your assistance my dear fellow Wren and thank you Miss Kendra. Both of your efforts are very appreciated." Razvan comments.

"Let us assist in the research tonight by going through these records the best we can before heading back in the morning."

21. - Top - End - #441

Around the third, and most blatant comment (be it in words or action), concerning portion sizes, Kendra excuses herself curtly from the table (Razvan never getting a chance to compliment her) and retires for the evening.

Not a single one of you failed the very low Sense Motive check as you all unconsciously look at the discourteous paladin (Othello) who constantly berated his hostess for not feeding her guest to satisfaction ... from the bounty of her larder .... for this portion and the remaining portion of the month ... without any askance of remuneration.

It is suddenly very quiet around the table for several more seconds than is comfortable, when Mr. Evans comes into the room. "Dessert will be served in a minute. In the meantime, it seems that I am in sudden need of a strong back attached to strong arms. Is there anyone here who would be noble enough to assist me, and by extension, our lady ... in this time of need?"

You notice he is not asking the room, despite his words, but the four-foot-tall butler of wood and metal is looking directly at Othello.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-10-16 at 02:52 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Realising his faux pas, Othello makes eyes of apology around the table, then turns to the man and rises to give whatever assistance is asked of him.

23. - Top - End - #443

Dessert will be served to those in the dining room (Othello, sadly, will not be there_), and feel free to discuss the case at leisure.

"Thank you for your volunteerism, brave dwarf," says Mr. Evans. "It seems that one or more of the diners has eaten so much that the volume of dishes has thrown I and my assistant and the cook off of our pace."

He hands Othello a frilly apron. "The dishes are there. The basin already is soaped, and there are the cleaning implements. Oh, and the extra food required a hotter, longer burning fire than normal. When you're done with that, wood needs a-cording. Materials are in the back."

Mr. Evans then leaves to go do .... whatever he does.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps a shopping trip into town to buy groceries for the manor is in order. It would give us a chance to ask the locals about the town and help us get in their good graces. Then after we've made it back with the supplies, we could use the rest of the day to continue the investigation at Harrowstone."

"If that works for everyone, I'll ask Mr. Wren for a list to split amongst us, so we can make the purchases quickly."

Spoiler
    Show
    After this conversation concludes, but before turning in for the night, Hargrimm will ask Mr. Wren if there are any rips or tears about the house that he could mend.

25. - Top - End - #445

Wren Elbourne seems completely lost on what Hargrimm means, "Did you mean Mr. Evans, the butler?"

Wren looks to the group, "You know, why wait for tomorrow, when people are at their daily tasks. Why not some of you have a nightcap at Zokar's for a drink and possibly to talk with some locals? I can't go, as I have no money, but you might find some success that way."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446

Beholder

"Should we put off the research and discuss woth the locals over a beverage or two? What would be the consensus among us on that front?" Razvan asks.

"As for our foray back to the prison tomorrow, is there a different avenue of approach that we should pursue? Overall we seemed to be doing well."

27. - Top - End - #447

"Did the road cave in or something?" asks Wren. "If not, then if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

”I doubt I’ll get much out of them”, Abrax say, pointing at his face. ”It’s probably better for me to continue the research.”.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449

SamuraiGirl

Marius's face sinks at Kendra's departure, but unsure how to properly mend the social fences, he quietly frowns to himself for not saying something to ease the tension. As discussion over how to spend the evening arise, he smiles at Wren's invitation. "Alas, student debts keep my tavern visits to a minimum at present, Wren, so I feel your pain. But I'm more of a homebody anyways, so while I'll help with groceries tomorrow, I'll just stay in tonight and maybe see if I can tempt Abrax to a friendly game of cards. You guys have fun out there: lift one in Cayden's name for me."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm peers into his coin pouch and moves a few coins around. "I could afford a round if we all stick to cheaper side of the drink selection."