New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

The Laughing Demon ...

(as above) And now both bat-bugs are flapping weakly on the ground, as Zokar comes up with a shovel and finishes them off.

"Gentlemen, I am so sorry," he apologizes as the combat ends. "I don't know where these horrid things came from! you are free to come tomorrow night and your meals will be paid for and you will have an open tab, as long as you do not imbibe so much as to be unseemly or to embarrass yourselves."

He turns around as he silently waves workers to come clean up the "mess." "A cheer for the dwarves! For if they were not here, this evil would have fallen on the rest of us!"

The bar cheers, and in time the musicians go back to playing.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

"That's very generous of you sir." Hargrimm says as he holds pressure to his wound with one hand, and drains his drink with the other. "And a wise clarification to make."

Once Zokar returns to his duties, Hargrimm will lean over to Othello and whisper: "I'm going to head outside for a moment to get some air and cast a spell. Something about how the bugs responded to the band has me suspicious. "

He then heads for the door to get out of earshot and casts Detect Magic before returning to his seat. He'll keep his concentration on the band.

3. - Top - End - #483

Hargrimm doesn't detect any magical emanations anywhere.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax, hearing the sound of flesh on flesh, runs out to see what has happened. Upon seeing the Professor's animate corpse, he skids to a stop, calling up his mystical armor around himself. "Why have you come here, foul creature. there is nothing in this place for the dead!"

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Cast Mage Armor on himself.
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2021-10-21 at 01:10 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

5. - Top - End - #485

Lorrimor Place ...

Abrax, hearing the sound of flesh on flesh, runs out to see what has happened. Upon seeing the Professor's animate corpse, he skids to a stop, calling up his mystical armor around himself. "Why have you come here, foul creature. there is nothing in this place for the dead!"

In the sitting room, Wren - without casting a spell or any warning - disappears from Zauberei's view!

Zauberei, what do you do? You heard Abrax' bit. "There is a foul creature ... the dead" that is there.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #486
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Zauberei stands up from a writing desk and moves toward the commotion.

Spoiler: movement
    Show

Stand up

Move 30 feet towards the the commotion.

7. - Top - End - #487

Lorrimor Place ...

Zauberei stands up from a writing desk and moves toward the commotion, where he sees the partially face-ripped, animated corpse of Professor Lorrimor!

Razvan, what do you do?
    Show

8. - Top - End - #488

Beholder

Upon hearing the commotion, Razvan stands upright and prepares for battle against the foul creatures of undeath. "Lady of the Grave, please grant your servant guidance in this time of conflict against such abominations."

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show

Razvan casts Divine Favor

9. - Top - End - #489

Lorrimor Place ...

Upon hearing the commotion, Razvan stands upright and prepares for battle against the foul creatures of undeath. "Lady of the Grave, please grant your servant guidance in this time of conflict against such abominations."

He then casts a spell upon himself, for that very guidance.

Kendra comes down the stairs to see what the commotion, and screams in dread when she sees her dead, disfigured, decaying dear old dad.

Paula, sitting on a pillow, looks up and squeaks in concern at the goings-on in the other room.

Marius, what do you do?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #490

SamuraiGirl

Shock and anguish fill Marius' face as he sees the rotting visage of his old patron. "Please stop, professor! I don't want to fight you," he cries out. Stepping back, the young man glances about for any weapons checked at the entryway or any nearby objects he could use as improvised weapons, in hopes of wielding something in his defense against the dead thing at the doorway. If he sees nothing readily available, Marius instead takes up a purely defensive posture, looking to delay the monster until better-armed help arrives.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Move Action: five foot step back
    Standard Action: pick up a nearby weapon or an improvised weapon if one is in arms' reach; if no weapon-like objects are in view, he takes a total defense action to gain +4 to AC
    Free Action: knowledge check to figure out what kind of undead the professor has become and in particular if it's a mindless undead or a kind that can be talked to

While Marius does have daggers on his belt while adventuring, I don't think he would wear them while lounging around a friend's house during a long-term stay. I suppose the question of whether--and if so, how--one might wear a small blade at a host's house would depend on the cultural norms of hospitality in Ustalav, just as it varied from region to region in medieval Europe. But I'm fine assuming Marius is unarmed at present. However, in the future he may start keeping a small dagger visibly tucked into his boots/stockings from now on, ala a highlander's sgian-dubh, assuming such a move wouldn't be seen as impolite or threatening.
    Last edited by Ason; 2021-10-23 at 10:40 AM. Reason: cleaned up imprecise ooc language

11. - Top - End - #491

Shock and anguish fill Marius' face as he sees the rotting visage of his old patron as he cries out, "Please stop, professor! I don't want to fight you."

Stepping back, the young man glances about for any weapons checked at the entryway or any nearby objects he could use as improvised weapons, in hopes of wielding something in his defense against the dead thing at the doorway. He picks up a candlestick whose attendant candle is currently unlit.

The dead Professor Lorrimor lurches forward and swings wildly at Marius.

Abrax, what do you do?

Zauberei in the hole ...
    Show

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax closes the gap quickly on the undead Professor. His empty hands flash out rapid-fire as he holds no mercy for those corrupted by negative energies. "I'm sorry, old friend.", he says as he strikes.

Spoiler: Flurry of Blows
    Show
    Attack #1 (1d20+8)[16] for (1d6+4)[8] Bludgeoning dmg and (1d4)[1] Bleed dmg. (1d20+8)[11] Crit Confirm if needed.

Attack #2 (1d20+8)[19] for (1d6+4)[8] Bludgeoning dmg and (1d4)[4] Bleed dmg. (1d20+8)[13] Crit Confirm if needed.

“It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

13. - Top - End - #493

Abrax closes the gap quickly on the undead Professor. His empty hands flash out rapid-fire as he holds no mercy for those corrupted by negative energies. "I'm sorry, old friend.", he says as he strikes with a quick right to the side of the Professor's head. But in death his head has become unnaturally resilient and only takes 3 mod from the blow.

Zauberei, what do you do?

Razvan on deck, Kenra in the hole ....
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494

MonkGuy

Zauberei asseses the situation. Calling on Nethys he gestures dramatically.
    Spoiler: spell and assess
    Show

SA: casts spiritual weapon behind the apparent undead professor.
    (d20+6)[12] to hit AC
    (d8+1)[9] force damage
    MA: assess the creature
    SwA: not sure it is swift but if so will activate domain power deflection aura

Last edited by Tippnick; 2021-10-25 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Wording

15. - Top - End - #495

Beholder

Razvan silently stares at the former Professor for what seems a long sad moment. "My dear friend, I am sorry that your place in line to await the Lady of the Graves judgement has been put on hold. Please allow us to put you back to rest so that you may rest comfortably once again.

If you try to run or return to those that did this to you, know that I will be able to track you down and place judgement upon those that have done this to you."

Spoiler: Branding
    Show

If need be, will move to be within 20' of the professor.

Then utilize the slayer brand (greater brand, RTA) upon the professor. Including point blank shot and divine favor: to hit (1d20+8)[14] and damage (1d6)[2]

16. - Top - End - #496

Zauberei asseses the situation. Calling on Nethys he gestures dramatically, and a translucent quarterstaff appears in front of the professor in a direct line from it and Zauberei, and smacks against the professor. The dead man's skin is too thick to feel the strike.

Razvan silently stares at the former Professor for what seems a long sad moment. "My dear friend, I am sorry that your place in line to await the Lady of the Graves judgement has been put on hold. Please allow us to put you back to rest so that you may rest comfortably once again. If you try to run or return to those that did this to you, know that I will be able to track you down and place judgement upon those that have done this to you."

Razvan calls forth positive energy with which to strike the professor, but the energy misses. Kendra recovers from her shock and casts a spell that is not dissimilar from the effect Razvan created, but her shot goes even wider.

Marius, you have a candlestick in hand as a one-handed improvised weapon (like a club). You are adjacent to the undead. What do you do?

Professor Lorrimor on deck, Abrax in the hole ...
    Show

17. - Top - End - #497

MonkGuy

Zauberei yells, "A slashing weapon!"

18. - Top - End - #498

SamuraiGirl

Marius calls back at Zauberei, "I know, but no time now!" At that, the young doctor shifts into an offensive stance, attempts to circle around the creature, and swings his makeshift weapon, channeling into the blow his desire to return the undead to its destined rest. "I'm sorry, professor," he says quietly to himself as he attacks his old mentor.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Swift: adopt Aura of Misfortune stance, giving all enemies within 30 ft. -2 to all saves
    Move: 5 foot step around the professor, in an attempt to get behind him so that Abrax can flank
    Standard: Temporal Burn maneuver; attack roll ((1d20-1)[16]); damage rolls ((1d6+1)[6] + (2d6)[8], damage ignores DR due to maneuver

I'm assuming the candlestick has the stats of a club, per the DM's last post, and thus that its attack roll is non-finesse, with -4 to the attack roll because it's an improvised weapon. I'm also assuming it will take two 5 foot steps between Marius and Abrax to properly flank the undead such that Marius can't get a flanking bonus on his current attack roll.

19. - Top - End - #499

Zauberei yells, "A slashing weapon!"

Marius calls back at Zauberei, "I know, but no time now!" At that, the young doctor shifts into an offensive stance, sidesteps around the creature so that he is now offset, but no flanking can yet be set up at this time. Marius swings his makeshift weapon, channeling into the blow his desire to return the undead to its destined rest.

"I'm sorry, professor," he says quietly to himself as he attacks his old mentor, the candlestick hitting deep into its stomach and tearing at intestines for 14.

The professor lets out a groan of pain ... but it is unknown if it is physical or existential ... but its bowels are slowly unspooling onto the floor, releasing a truly fetid reek. The professor raises a hand up and slams into Marius' left lower arm for a crushing 10!

Abrax, you can get to a spot in front of the professor that could allow Marius to flank on his next turn. What do you do?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #500

Abrax gets into place for help Marius. He gives a straight right jab to the central mass of the professor's remaining face for 3 mod. His follow up spinning hook kick misses.

The professor seems to jerk oddly and falls down before disappearing into a wad of dust. Behind him ... where Marius would have gone to ... is Wren, holding a kitchen knife.

Combat Ends ...
    Show

21. - Top - End - #501

Beholder

"The poor professor...what horrible powers have done this to you. I am very sorry Kendra." Razvan begins as does what he can to lay out the professor in a respectful manner.

"I would think to check with the priest, if not the restlands. But based on previous encounters with Grimsburrow I am not sure that I would like to confront that man again."

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello looks around suspiciously and then turns to Hargrimm and says, "Those poor fellows back at the manor have missed out on all the excitement! I think we should return and perhaps have that wound looked at. You look pale. I'd hate for there to be a secondary affliction from the creature's bite."

He then stands and nods to the Innkeep before looking back to Hargrimm for his answer.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

23. - Top - End - #503

SamuraiGirl

Marius gingerly sets down the candlestick near the door, trying his best to ensure any gore only gets onto entry mats or tiling that can be easily cleaned. Once disarmed, he joins his voice to the others, "I am dreadfully sorry, Kendra. Nobody should have to endure the grief tonight's events have put you through. How are you holding up? Shall I fetch Mr. Evans to attend to you and... all this?" At that last part, Marius gestures uneasily at the corpse laying on the floor and the muck it has left behind.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm takes in a deep breath through his nose. "I suppose you're right Othello. I can't believe they just wanted to stay in for the night." He gives a good night wave to the patrons and thanks Zokar.

Once the two dwarves are well away from the bar, Hargrimm says "I didn't detect any magic from the band. It doesn't rule them out from being connected to the bugs that attacked us though. I'm more than a little suspicious since it just so happened that two dwarves with an association with the Professor were the only ones attacked."

"I'll take a look at your wound when we get back to my healer's kit.
    he adds.

25. - Top - End - #505

MonkGuy

Zauberei will step over the dust of the Professor and go outside. He will cast light and see if he notices anyone who could of ordered the zombie.

26. - Top - End - #506

Zauberei won't notice anyone woutside.

The dwarves return home.

There is no corpse left behind (not a zombie movie ... no gore). Rather, once Professor Lorrimor, Zombie-squire was deceased part deux, his body turned to ash and dust. Mr. Evans is currently and carefully collecting that, shooing everyone else away.

Both the dwarves and those left behind are presumed to share their odd stories of the "terrors" they faced ... likely in the sitting room, with calmative teas brewed and provided by Mr. Evans.

(SO, that is where you all are now.)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Once the stories of the events of the evening have been exchanged, Othello will stand and address Kendra…

”Mistress, let me first say how sorry and appalled I am that someone would force you to witness your father in such a state and that we will do our utmost to find those responsible and bring them to justice… Second, I would like to apologise for my uncouth behaviour toward you and your household. It was not intended as a slight but I see now that it was. It was meant as a compliment towards your cook as I have enjoyed the delicious foods that have been so generously served to us. Again, I beg your forgiveness. Thank you once again, for the courtesy of your warm halls.”

With that he nods to the others and resumes his seat.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

28. - Top - End - #508

Kendra simply says, civilly, "Thank you, Master Marewarden. I accept your apology."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #509

SamuraiGirl

Having already paid his sympathies to Kendra, Marius dives into puzzling over the mystery of this evening once everyone is served and at rest. "Unless we are just particularly ill-fated, it seems someone objects to our presence," he says with a gesture at himself and the other out-of-towners. "...or at least to today's activities. Sadly, as I see it, we have two options, neither pleasant. Option one is that we foreigners leave before things get worse, hoping whoever is responsible calms down. But tonight's events suggest there is no low to which our hidden foe won't stoop, so trusting in their mercy seems unwise. The other is that we redouble our efforts, hoping to unravel this mystery before things worsen. There is a risk of escalation, but I prefer directly facing whatever specter is behind this over living in fear of them forever."

Pausing to take a sip of tip and collect his thoughts, Marius continues, "My thanks to Mr. Evans on this tea: it is quite lovely. Regardless, unless you object, Kendra, I believe a visit to Pharasma's church is necessary. We'll need them to reinter the professor's remains at minimum. But it is possibly the Restlands have evidence of graverobbing that may point to the villain, though I suspect we are unlikely to receive his permission to enter the cemetery."

30. - Top - End - #510

Beholder

"Thank you for the tea and my condolences for having to endure this night." Razvan mentions to Kendra.

To his new fellows he says: "Well said, though I do have one other extension of that thought process. Based off what little we know so far I do think that these events may have started before we arrived and may have contributed to our good friends early demise."

"Though I know it to be necessary to visit the church and the restlands, I do not look forward to encountering that Father Grimsburrow again."
    Razvan admits.