New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

Abrax, feeling the poison from the centipede take deeper hold, puts all his strength into a single blow. Forming his hands into a double fist, he raises them above his head and brings them both down like a hammer onto the giant bug's head. He manages to squawk out, "If I fall, I am poisoned."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    SA: Single Unarmed Strike (1d20+8)[26] for (1d6+6)[11] Bludgeoning Damage + 1d4 Bleed (Crit 20/2d6)
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2021-11-18 at 03:20 AM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

2. - Top - End - #602
    Colossus in the Playground

R2T13: Abrax, feeling the poison from the centipede take deeper hold, musters his monastic training and holds any further progression. He then puts all his strength into a single blow. Forming his hands into a double fist, he raises them above his head and brings them both down like a hammer onto the giant bug's head to splat it!.

He manages to squawk out, "If I fall, I am poisoned."

Combat Ends .... (and the party makes sure the centipedes are Good'n'Deady)

Now what?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Now… if we’re done playing exterminators… I’m not a healer by nature but I can offer a little if anyone wants…” offers Othello.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm mutters under his breath. "Foolish, foolish. Shoulda done this earlier, now look what's happened." At normal volume he says "I'll recreate the bond I made when we were exploring Harrowstone. It'll keep you safe and let me take on any poisons you get in the future."

Spoiler
    Show
    Shifting around essence via Akashic Bond, so that Wren, Othello, and Abrax have 2 essence invested each with the Speed vivification.

Also moving 1 essence into Banelight Vortices.

Finally, Hargrimm will use his healer's Kit to Treat Poison on Abrax and then Wren.

5. - Top - End - #605

Hargrimm shifts things about, and Abrax, Wren, and Othello all have a boost in base agility ... and yet Abrax and Wren are not really able to do anything with that right now (they don't get DEX to AC).

The unicorn horn on Hargrimm goes away, and his gauntlets begin to glow again. Hargrimm gets his healer's kit to treat poison, but by the time he does an assessment on them, he realizes that the poison has already has done its work and will do no more ... and nothing but time and rest will help the poisoned men.

Sensing the danger is passed, the acolyte makes his way downstairs, sniffing diffidently at the dead bugs.

The party look inside the sarcophagus. Although it appears that Professor Lorrimor might have already raided the cache previously (as evidenced by empty slots in various holders), he didn't take all of the tools kept here—a fair amount of useful material remains, including:

• (12) silver arrows
    • (4) sunrods
    • (6) flasks of holy water
    • (10) masterwork arrows
    • (7) masterwork arrows that have a subdued magical aura
      • (5) arrows have a moderate aura of conjuration (exact quality unknown)
      • (2) arrows have an unknown moderate aura (quality unknown)

• (7) vials of magical fluid
      • (5) potions of cure light wounds
      • (2) potions of lesser restoration

• (1) scroll of detect undead
    • (2) scrolls of hide from undead
    • (1) scroll of protection from evil
    • A thin darkwood case decorated with an image of a scarab with a single eye glaring from its back—the same design that appears on the cover of the one of the books in the professor’s collection that you have to deliver in a month. The darkwood case is worth 50 gp, and contains three objects of interest—
      • A Spirit Board with a brass spirit planchette
        • The spirit board and planchette seem to be part of one item. It has a moderate aura, but aura type and identification are not known.

• (4) iron and glass vials containing tiny, churning clouds of vapor. The vials sitin velvet-lined indentations to the left of the spirit board and planchette, along with six empty indentions—the professor made off with most of the vials but left these four behind.

The acolyte reminds you that everything is on a borrowing capacity, and to only take what you know you will need.

Okay, so the party's two best identifiers are not here, actually. If you attempt to ID these items yourself, that will count as the group (present or not) doing the ID ... meaning that if you fail to ID an object, you remove that option from the group of you, not just the group of you here.

Do you try to ID now, and what are you looking to take with you (as a group, NOT as "I take a thing.")
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-11-22 at 10:40 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

"It seems to me, at least, that we may need each and every item here. Couple that with the fact that we don't know what much of it does, why don't we load it all up and take it back to the Manor to learn what we have. Then, we can return anything that doesn't seem helpful.", Abrax says, taking off his cloak and laying it out beside the stash. He carefully lays out the arrows and sunrods, then uses the scrolls to separate the vials and flasks between the rows made by the ammo and lighting. He wraps these up with the utmost care, sets the folded cloak on the wooden case, and picks the whole pile up like he was transporting a cake, using both arms to cradle the load.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

7. - Top - End - #607

The acolyte seems to be a decent scribe, as he writes on his tablet-backed vellum quickly, but doesn't ask for any slowdown. "Please, when we leave, let us close the doors behind us and engage the lock. I shall then accompany you with these items to where Lorrimor House with you while you account for what they are."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello nods his agreement to taking the items back.

"Although before we go, do we want to investigate the door across the hall to verify everything remains in it's proper order?" he asks.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

9. - Top - End - #609

The other door is nothing more than a connection to the same east-west hallway.

The group returns to Lorrimor House with addition of cache items and one acolyte.

Back at Lorrimor House, the group as it is knows better than to try to interrupt the researchers just to ID ... that can come later. This means that the Marauders of the False Crypt need to entertain themselves in the meantime.

Abrax finds a very large, weighty Chelaxian section, including a Taldane-Infernal/ Infernal-Taldane lexicon and a companion book called Devilspeak for Dummies that holds his attention more than one would hope it should. Othello will pray to Iomedae privately in thanks for having overcome dangerous vermin and succeeded at their task. Hargrimm will sequester himself in his room until dinner in grumbling self-doubt for his lack of preparedness with an akashic bond with the others, covering that as "akashic meditation."

During dinner the researchers will give their findings, having found much about "The Lopper."

The Lopper (real name Vance Saetressle): When the Lopper stalked prey, he would hide in the most unlikely of places, sometimes for days upon end with only a few supplies to keep him going while he waited for the exact right moment to strike. Once his target was alone, the Lopper would emerge to savagely behead his victim with a handaxe.

Anything else to discuss at dinner? Magic ID will occur after dinner, and most likely they will use the library to aid their identifications.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-11-19 at 04:45 AM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello will be uncharacteristically quiet during dinner, but other than that will have nothing to discuss.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Marius greets the acolyte and returning warriors, reacting with surprise at the news of the tomb's infestation and offering extracts of cure light wounds to any who need healing.

Over the course of dinner, the young man relays the stonewalling he and Razvan received at the town hall. "The town's records on the warden's wife were always a weak lead, so I'm willing to drop that angle. Graffiti suggests to me a personal connection to Vesorianna anyways, and those kinds of things don't usually make it into official documents." He then pauses to gingerly eat another bite of the meal.

"And speaking of official documents,"
    Marius adds, "It looks like the papers detail various criminals held at Harrowstone, though we only got through Lopper today. There might be more information there besides criminal profiles, but if that's all there is, I don't know if such knowledge can help with our present mysteries. Recent events show we must be on to something, but I'm not sure what exactly that something is. What's our next step here?" Marius thoughtfully chews on a new bite, puzzling over all that has happened over the last twenty-four hours.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Marius has up to 4 extracts of cure light wounds he can offer, in case anybody needs patching up.

12. - Top - End - #612

Abrax, Marius ... Marius only needed to gives one extract each to Abrax and Wren to fully heal them of the bite wounds. The extract did nothing for the severe effect of the poisoning which will come with medical attention and rest.

Wren says, "I don't know how I'll feel tomorrow, but I am sure I can take it easy ... not need complete rest. I can continue the good fight here in researching about the other Five Prisoners."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #613

Beholder

"Well summarized Marius of our efforts today. Thank you Wren for your further assistance and of course to you Kendra for hosting us.

How went your efforts into the Restlands?"
    Razvan asks.

14. - Top - End - #614

Wren gives a stunningly capable account of the adventure in the False Crypt (see above for details).
    Spoiler: Perform (Oratory)
    Show
    Wow. So, untrained Perform (oratory) is a 24, for whatever that's worth to you.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #615

Beholder

"Perhaps now is a good time to go through those items and figure out what they each are created to function for." Razvan says. "Then after dividing them up perhaps go camp out at a location that has an overview of the monument in case the suspect(s) try to vandalize once again?"

16. - Top - End - #616

Marius assists Zauberei, and both refer to Professor Lorrimor's Library, and this is what is discovered ...

• (12) silver arrows
    • (4) sunrods
    • (6) flasks of holy water
    • (10) masterwork arrows
    • (7) masterwork arrows that have a subdued magical aura
      • (5) arrows have a moderate aura of conjuration (exact quality unknown)
      • (2) arrows have an unknown moderate aura (quality unknown)

• (7) vials of magical fluid
      • (5) potions of cure light wounds
      • (2) potions of lesser restoration

• (1) scroll of detect undead
    • (2) scrolls of hide from undead
    • (1) scroll of protection from evil
    • A thin darkwood case decorated with an image of a scarab with a single eye glaring from its back—the same design that appears on the cover of the one of the books in the professor’s collection that you have to deliver in a month. The darkwood case is worth 50 gp, and contains three objects of interest—
      • A Spirit Board with a brass spirit planchette
        • The spirit board and planchette seem to be part of one item. It has a moderate aura, but aura type and identification are not known.

• (4) iron and glass vials containing tiny, churning clouds of vapor. The vials sitin velvet-lined indentations to the left of the spirit board and planchette, along with six empty indentions—the professor made off with most of the vials but left these four behind.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax listens intently to the recitation of items before speaking, ”Looks like we will need to take all of these, as we know their are haunts and undead to deal with. And something tells me thIs spirit board is important or Lorrimoor would not have left it in the pile. If no one objects, I will attempt to learn more about it.”

Show

18. - Top - End - #618

That finished, and the acolyte done his recording, the acolyte returns (well fed) to the Temple of Pharasma.

Now what?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #619

Beholder

"Let us divide up these items to have them at the ready," Razvan begins. "Now this is a mere hypothesis on where they should go and of course can be criticized. First of all, do we have any archers that can make use of the arrows? If not then the best that I could do with them is possibly repurpose them as bullets for my pistol.

Suggestions: sunrods go with those that may not be able to see in the dark, flask of holy water to each of us, each you take a vial of cure light (it would harm me), lesser restoration potions to any I suppose (myself and Othello perhaps?), scroll of detect undead to Hargrimm?, scrolls of hide from undead (Zauberei and Abrax?), scroll of protection from evil (myself or Marius?), and the haunt siphons to those of us that are unable to channel (myself, Abrax, Marius, and Othello?).

These are possibilities. I am attempting to spread them out but I am not aware of everyones abilities fully just yet; perhaps other suggestions or corrections?

Abrax, that is a good idea about the spirit board. If you need assistance I would be happy to assist you in the endeavour."
    Having concluded his 'speech', Razvan takes a sip of wine to quench his throat.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello mops up some gravy on his plate with a hunk of bread and before shoving it into his mouth looks to Moriar and says, "I think you've pretty much hit the stake on the head with your suggestions. And Abrax, I also agree. Let us know what you find."

21. - Top - End - #621

MonkGuy

Zauberei grabs a clw potion, a scroll of hide from undead, and a sunroof.
    "The unknown items we should leave here for further study but otherwise your distribution suggestion is fine with me", Zauberei confrms.
    Last edited by Tippnick; 2021-11-24 at 06:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm nods along to the others as they divvy up the supplies, lost in thought. His eyes snap back into focus and he says "Ms. Lorrimor, do you need any spiritual assistance? You've been through so much recently, and there are several devout men here. I'm sure one of us could help should you need to talk."

23. - Top - End - #623

SamuraiGirl

Marius nods at the suggested division of items and the leaving behind of any unidentified ones, "That sounds fair to me. I suppose this means we return to Harrowstone tomorrow then."

At Hargrimm's question, Marius gives a pained smile of sympathy in Kendra's direction, finding himself at a loss for words but worried over her welfare as well.

24. - Top - End - #624

"No, thank you," says Kendra. "But I thank you for asking after me. It's strange. It was horrifying to see the corpse of my father, but I didn't get to see his body ... they wouldn't let me because it was too horrible. And yet, I know my father's soul is fine .... so destroying the perversion that became my father was a strange ... closure?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #625

Beholder

"That is good to hear that at least some form of good came from that encounter." Razvan says.

"Did we want to try camping out near the monument to observe in case the vandal strikes again or stay here for the night before we head back to the prison tomorrow?"

Spoiler: Tonight
    Show

If we are not camping out to watch the monument tonight and if ok with you to do so; would like to start converting the masterwork arrows into hopefully masterwork bullets. If not, perhaps start researching in the library about how to do so and or research how to convert magic arrows (once identified) into corresponding magic bullets. Hope this makes sense:)

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I'm glad you were able to get some semblance of closure, Miss." says Othello smiling kindly at Kendra.

Looking back at the others, he says "Here's a thought, fellows... How much time has passed since the last vandalism? Have we noticed any patterns in the timing of the strikes? Mayhaps we give the fellows a third shot at it and see if we can establish a pattern so we have a better idea of when they may hit again? Rather than camping out with no clue as to when it could happen... What say you?"

27. - Top - End - #627

Wren looks to Kendra, "It's Starday, 26 Calistril, correct? Sometimes I lose track of time."

Anyone who wants their PC to do so nods, but if nobody does, at least Kendra does.

"Theeeen," he says while slowly turning to Othello, while possessing a look of both amusement and confusion, "that means the last act of vandalism likely occurred in the very early morning hours of .... Starday, 26 Calistril."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #628

MonkGuy

"Maybe he meant the one before the last", Zauberei says hopefully.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Thank you, Zauberei. I meant the previous incident but misspoke… but you get my point.” Othello says with a chuckle.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-11-25 at 04:25 PM.

30. - Top - End - #630

"Oh," says Wren. "My apologies. I have trouble understanding terms like 'next,' and 'last' when used in the realm of time. But that was four days ago, on the 22nd."
    Show