New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

"Wren, if you would be so kind, please remind us in 3 days," Razvan says. "If the timing is consistent then that may be the time to watch that night.

For now then let us get some good sleep and head back to the prison tomorrow morning. "

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Right. So then I propose we head back to the prison and do some more clearing...er... Investigating? Whatever... And give our vandals another four days. Setting up the watch the night before. Or a second option... One of us, and we can rotate out who it is each night, could observe the memorial each night while the others head to the prison." Othello offers.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

"If there is trouble afoot," offers Kendra. "That is a lot of stress to do a watch for someone who is a vandal. Meanwhile, there've already been ghostly disturbances ... such as what Abrax saw, or heard, from a ghost wagon. All in all, night might best be placed in the safety of a warm house and warm beds. Besides, it's just .... vandalism. And everyone needs their strength if there are greater dangers the like of what you've mentioned already in Harrowstone."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

4. - Top - End - #634

Beholder

"Good point Kendra," Razvan agrees. "Though some of the odd things that we have seen, if there is something more to these odd graffiti then would think all of us should be there.

For now though, I would suggest that we rest up for our next foray to the prison in the morning
    . "

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello nods his agreement.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax nods along with Kendra, adding, ”I am not convinced this vandalism is anything other than a diversion, meant to keep our focus off what really matters. Kendra is right. Let us get a safe nights rest and return to the prison tomorrow.”
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

7. - Top - End - #637

SamuraiGirl

Marius nods as well. "Agreed. It's also still plausible that the vandalism is linked to whatever disturbances are happening at the prison. Best to focus on that place first, as our only solid lead right now."

8. - Top - End - #638

Sunday, 27 Calistril 4711 AR (Last quarter-moon)
    Weather: 75 / 55F. No wind, precipitation, humidity.

The next morning, after breakfast and morning routines ....

Today, most of the town will be going to the Temple of Pharasma for Sunday services.

Here's the thing, Sunday on Golarion/ Avistan is commonly the day set aside to not conduct business but to focus on one's place in the world and their relationship to whatever patron(s) they serve.

And many of your PCs are likewise religious folk. So, will you still go to Harrowstone today? Will your PCs do anything that is more effort and focus for your patrons today than most days? or, through a combination of moral relativism and the separation that you have as players in relation to your PCs and the world they actually inhabit simply gloss past that internal reality?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello will prefer to not conduct “business” but will defer to the group’s decision.

If the choice is to take the day, he will conduct his “normal” worship day routine which will include prayer and meditation.

10. - Top - End - #640

Beholder

Razvan will recommend that perhaps we attend services at the Pharasma church for those willing. "Assuming that the Father won't mind, it would be good to conduct prayers and get to know the townsfolk a bit perhaps. "

11. - Top - End - #641

Kendra will go, as is her custom. Razvan is going to accompany her.

Wren will not go to the Temple of Pharasma for a worship service.

I doubt you are going to get Othello to go (but he could change his mind).

What about the rest of you?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-11-27 at 01:01 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642

MonkGuy

Zauberei prepares to go Ms. Lorimor. "Nethys is not in opposition of the Lady of Graves", he says in explanation.

13. - Top - End - #643

SamuraiGirl

Marius, as a good Pharasman, will attend the temple services as well. "We will need the Lady of Graves' guidance for the work ahead," he explains, "And she has always been part of my family's custom. It will be good to clear my mind so."

At the temple service itself, Marius is meek and quiet, attempting to properly mirror the locals' good behavior without making much of a scene himself.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm chews his lip behind his beard. "I'd like to stay with those affected by the centipede poison and Othello to help their recovery, but I think it would be better to make an appearance. The people of Ustalav are slow to trust outsiders, and attending a church service should make it easier for them to accept us."

Spoiler
    Show
    Before heading to the temple, Hargrimm will invest 1 essence into each of his party members with the Speed vivification.
    Last edited by SwordChucks; 2021-11-27 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Bolded speech

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax is a Pharasman, but between his animalistic features, his interest in the spirit board, and his recovery from the poison he decides to stay at the house and rest. "Go on without me, I doubt I would be welcomed by the general populace and I do not wish to take any focus off of Our Lady of Graves. I will spend the day in the library searching for more information on this board."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

16. - Top - End - #646

For those going to the Temple of Pharasma, you will get the sense that the party is disliked and not very well trusted at this time.

The service itself is a combination of chanting and singing. It is a surprisingly joyous affair held by the otherwise sour-faced Father Grimburrow, and the service is a celebration of birth and death. Towards the end of the service, Vashian Hearthmount is allowed to take the pulpit for what seems to be a brief allowance for secular announcements.

As the magnitude of eerie events in Ravengro has been growing, the town’s citizens have grown increasingly nervous and frightened. The town council has called for a meeting at the town hall to discuss the citizens’ fears and address possible solutions, hoping that such a display of authority will calm everyone down and buy some time—perhaps enough for a messenger to reach one of the larger neighboring cities for help. That meeting will be at seven in the evening tonight.

The service ends, and Kendra wants to be well on her way. Does anyone tarry for any reason, or head back to the house?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #647

MonkGuy

Zauberei heads back to the house with Kendra but indicates that he wants to observe the council that evening.

18. - Top - End - #648

SamuraiGirl

Marius quietly offers compliments on the service and other such pleasantries during the receiving line to the lay leaders or lower-level priests near the exit doors. If this particular temple has an after-service tea hour or volunteer recruitment drive, he respectfully browses the affair with a faint, approving smile but does not take any refreshments himself for fear of taking advantage of Ravengro's hospitality. Marius then attempts to leave without much fuss or farewell, heading back to Kendra's a few minutes after her.

Once the group has privacy again, Marius nods his head grimly at Zauberei's suggestion. "Agreed. While extra help would not be unwelcome, I fear local suspicions may point the finger at us instead of at whomever is truly behind events at the prison. It would be wise to at least be present for the town council meeting, for our own awareness if nothing else."

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello will concur with the others in regards to attending the council meeting as spectators.

20. - Top - End - #650

Beholder

Razvan will nod in agreement at watching the council meeting but for head out back to the house for now.

21. - Top - End - #651

Does anyone have anything special to do at the house? Wren was working privately on researching the Five Prisoners, and anyone trying to "jump in" would just waste his time either messing up his system or making him retask to answer questions of "what we have so far."

Shall we move right to the evening?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652

Wren and Abrax (sorry, forgot about him) continue to research together, and Abrax proves an able assistant.

Marius and Zauberei try to be respectful of them, but they are also in the library, and having a rousing debate regarding history, which the two dwarves and Kendra likewise get into and enjoy. Abrax can't help but listen in, finding the subject of history - a subject he never had much exposure to himself - fascinating. The downside is that Marius takes a very dim view of sapient creatures in history, harping mainly on their negative emotions and traits. Razvan is only interested in history if some undead villain gets his just deserts.

Sunday dinner will be a bit earlier than normal. That's not uncommon, given that there is often a very light repast or a fasting during a Sunday afternoon. Wren, as Abrax peeled off more in the historical "lessons" given today, informs what he was able to uncover.

"Today," Wren begins, "with some help from Abrax, I uncovered the partial identity of another of the Five Prisoners. I say partial, because no name was ever given when he was processed into the prison, but he was referred to as 'The Piper of Illmarsh.' Before he snatched his victims, the Piper taunted his targets with a mournful dirge on his flute. He preferred to paralyze lone victims by dosing their meals with lich dust and then allowed his pet stirges to drink the victims dry of blood."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm touches his neck wound from the bar. "A flute, poisoned food and blood drinking pets? What do stirges look like?" he shoots Othello a concerned glance.

24. - Top - End - #654

"They are a magical creature that looks like the unholy union of mosquito and bat," answers Wren.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm looks past his surroundings as he tries to recall the night with as much clarity as he can muster. "When we went to the Laughing Demon, Othello and I were given 'Liquid Ghost' to try. It was very good by the way. Then the band started up and not long after two, what I now realize are stirges, attacked us. I thought they were magically compelled because of how they seemed to match the song's tempo, but I couldn't find a source after the scuffle."

"If the Piper's story is repeating itself, I dread that the other four might begin again."
    He shakes his head. "Of course he was from Illmarsh. A nasty place with nastier people."

26. - Top - End - #656

Beholder

Razvan comments. "If whatever the cult did at the prison has awoken the spirits...and they are beginning to be able and reach this town..."

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Yes. We need to stop any further activity and put those souls to rest… permanently. “ Othello says.

28. - Top - End - #658

SamuraiGirl

"We already know our next steps. Now we know the stakes are higher than our mere idle curiosity," Marius notes.

29. - Top - End - #659

With Wren and Abrax staying behind, Kendra leads the rest of the party to the Town Hall meeting. When the party arrives, it is clear to see that while folks are neutral where Kendra is concerned, the PCs feel disliked and unwelcome ... like they are interlopers appearing where they weren't wanted.

When the meeting begins, the town hall is packed to standing room only, with over 60 villagers inside the building’s central meeting room and many more gathered in the hall outside. Everyone demands solutions and shares reports of their own eerie encounters until the councilors enter the room and move up to the podium to address the crowd. The mob grows quiet as Councilman Hearthmount begins to speak, assuring the citizens that they are looking into solutions.

There is murmuring as fear has people doubting that the council can do anything.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #660

MonkGuy

Zauberei will wait for the council to speak bit will remain vigilant and watch the crowd. He will keep an eye out to see if anyone is acting suspicious.

Spoiler: sense motive
    Show
    He will do.a.sensr motive