New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1443
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

As different and separate people have these items on their person, not in a bundle on the table, this new bastard is just reaching at people's belts. Do you allow him to just take things off of you like a Barbary macaque stealing food out of your bags?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Hold on student- I mean Angelo. I am sure we all have things we can contribute. We have not looked these over ourselves yet", Zauberei informs the impatient being called Angelo.

He then places the spellbook on a table big enough we can all look at. Along with the other items

3. - Top - End - #993

From here, we will assume that all work together to solve the curious nature of these five objects, with Kendra running point by sending Mr. Evans to go to the library to get various books for reference.

It might humble Angelo quite a bit when he finds out he isn't even the second-most learned person in this group regarding arcane theory! The lead by a longshot is the Nethysian priest-wizard Zauberei, followed by (as you'll learn through RP over time) the medical student from Lepidstadt University Marius Nicolescu. Even that decrepitly dressed "detective" seems to be on par with Angelo in such matters.

Then, when it comes to the knowledge of actual spell mechanics ... and devising intrinsic properties of magic, Angelo again feels woefully inadequate, though in this case, Marius and Zauberei are almost evenly matched, were it not for flashes of insight that help Marius take the lead in these matters. In fact ... Abrax and your own brother equal your knowledge of spell mechanics, and for some reason the "detective" just edges you out as well.

Here's what the party learns ....
    • Bloodstained Handaxe: Strong aura of conjuration. A person with a strong life force can awaken the magic in this masterwork handaxe to help them fight ghosts more effectively. It is cursed in an unknown fashion, but it seems like it would somehow be more powerful - regardless of the life force of the wielder - if used against the one whose spirit is entangled with it (the Lopper). It has bloodstains on it that can never be scrubbed or removed, regardless if physical or magical means are used to attempt to cleanse it.
    • Collection of Holy Symbols: Strong aura of abjuration. While carried, this collection of holy symbols causes any divine spell cast by the one who carries it to have a small chance of failure. Likewise, the wearer is less protected against divine phenomena. But the collection does act like a very powerful lucky charm against physical attacks and a variety of mental and physical trials one might face while in Briarstone. Because it is cursed, and because a divine caster has used it, Hargrimm is now "stuck" with the bane (and boon) of this thing until Father Charlatan can be laid to rest.
    • Moldy Spellbook: Strong necromancy. The covers and pages of this thick, leather-bound spellbook have become caked with mold over the years, but some of the contents remain legible. This book once belonged to Professor Hean Feramin, the man who would eventually achieve fame not through academia but through murder. Known in his final days as the Splatter Man, he was dealt a hideous blow to his morale and sanity by the loss of his spellbook. The book, like the other objects in this room, now bears a curse—anyone who looks through the book finds her name scribbled in blood on the margins of the book. Worse, as long as the book is carried, that person receives periodic visions of her name partially spelled in blood in unexpected areas—on the back of a door, on a gravestone, on a magical scroll, or anywhere else. No one else can see these scribblings, and when the victim blinks or glances away, the words are no longer there upon a second look. This means that as a cursed effect the bearer is more susceptible to terror. If the person carrying the book also casts arcane spells, they also develop a fear of losing their ability to cast spells and might hoard their prepared spells with miserly greed, possibly deciding at the last minute to not cast that spell. Since the Splatter Man's essence is tied to the book, when in the presence of the Splatter Man's spirit (not just signs of his mischief), ripping out a pages can tear at his soul. You could tear out all the pages at once for a singular, powerful effect, but Marius estimates that is balanced by being able to do more psychic damage to whatever form the Splatter Man takes in the long run by ripping pages out individually. Mold has destroyed most of the book's contents, but nine spells do remain viable: comprehend languages, dispel magic, false life, gust of wind, illusory script, levitate, mage armor, magic missile, and summon monster IV. Even though he didn't "use" it, this curse is now tied to Zauberei, and having cast spells while carrying the spellbook, it would take putting the book down for several days (unknown amount of time, but likely no more than a week) for the curse to dissipate, all the while the spellbook acting against the cursed's psyche and driving them mad.
    • Mosswater Marauder's Hammer: Strong transmutation, moderate necromancy. Masterwork smith's hammer that is a fine aid to any primary metalsmith of hard metals (not precious metals). It has an unknown effect against the Mosswater Marauder's spirit, but likely to instill shame, guilt, and horror. There is no long-term curse as with the others, but a person who wields this hammer at all, or against the Mosswater Marauder, might be overcome with murderous desires for the living.
    • Tarnished Silver Flute: Strong enchantment. It is a silver (albeit tarnished) flute of the finest quality, likely to help a flautist perform with utmost skill, but cursed in an unknown manner. It is theorized that it will be effective against the Piper of Illmarsh's spirit somehow, as well as to those creatures he uses as puppets.

[/fin]
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #994

Beholder

Not humbled in the least, Angelo eagerly listens and contributes when able as everyone goes over the items.

"Those are very interesting items indeed!" Angelo exclaims. "I have never encountered items such as these before. They are still closely tied to the owners. So while they can potentially be used for good and be used against their former owners, they also carry with them some form of detriment.

So what shall be our next step? If we are heading back to the prison then perhaps we can find any corporeal undead that could provide us with more information. "

5. - Top - End - #995

"Let's figure out the disposition of the items," says Wren, a bit ruefully. "Two are decided. I offer to take," and here he gulps nervously, "the Bloodstained Handaxe. Let's face it, it fits my current sartorial motif."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-05-22 at 01:41 PM.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #996

Beholder

"Though what little musical talent I possess lies with strings," Angelo says, "I could start practicing with it. Unless someone else would like to try?"

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Coming over to his brother, Alexandru whispers, "Do we really have right to lay claim to any of these items, Brother?" and he looks up oh, so briefly at the others with a slight smile and nod before breaking eye contact.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

8. - Top - End - #998

Beholder

Only at his brothers intervention does Angelo look somewhat abashed. "Don't know what I would do without your common sense brother...probably get into even more trouble I am guessing" Angelo says with a weak smile at the end.

"Brother is right, we will help as best we can. And ... I will try to slow down as best as Alexandru can manage." Finished with a wry smile at his brother.

"If it helps, I do have some skill with magic and exploring lost tombs and interacting with people, both living and dead"

9. - Top - End - #999

A boar-headed monstrosity of a human says ... you can't read its expression to know emotional state ... "I doubt any who take these items are 'laying claim' to them so much as taking responsibility for suffering the curse it holds while dispatching its spirit-partnered 'master.' If you have a musical ear, new and painted fellow, then you should hold that flute, as long as you realize it holds some manner of danger in doing so."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1000

SamuraiGirl

Marius looks over all the items and shakes his head. "I can carry the hammer, if nobody else is willing, though I doubt I would be terribly useful with it."

Circling back to Angelo's offer, Marius adds, "But yes, we will be diving into the belly of the beast on our return to Harrowstone. We know roughly what the pieces to this puzzle are, if that woman's ghost is to be trusted. Now it is simply a matter of searching until we find where each puzzle piece is, so that we can finally put this matter to rest. I tell you, I will not sleep easy until then, not after all the havoc these spirits have caused in town."

11. - Top - End - #1001

Marius is given the burden of the hammer ... curse and blessing as it might be.

So, who will be given the flute?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1002

Beholder

"What do you think brother?," Angelo begins, "no one else is jumping to take it. Should I/we taken that burden?"

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru looks up in surprise... and then looks at his brother and nods... "Take the flute..."

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

14. - Top - End - #1004

Beholder

Angelo nods gravely. Then picks up the flute.

"Now Tippy, let's see which of us is better at playing it. We must practice after all..." Angelo's grin comes back. "Plus we must let brother take a turn playing too."

Spoiler: Stares in common
    Show

Game mechanics wise Angelo is in possession, but if flute allows etc will try to let Lexi play as well.

If that is allowed, will say via their telepathic bond to Alexandru: "Perhaps sharing playing will help ease the burden. Shrug"

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Looking away and not making eye contact with anyone, Alexandru nods and hums, his demeanor very calm...

Spoiler: TP: Lexi>>>Angelo
    Show
    "You know I have no musical ability whatsoever! Why would you even say that... Hell's Spells, why must you embarrass me like this in front of new people, Ango?!? You always do this!"

16. - Top - End - #1006

Anything else to discuss that night?
    Show

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru keeps to... well... His brother... Like glue. But offers nothing to the conversation.

18. - Top - End - #1008

Beholder

Unless there is something further that others wish to discuss, Angelo is happy to relax with his brother. And unless someone thinks it is unwise will start practicing with the flute and trying to get his brother to accompany him on Angelos' lute....which Lexi will likely refuse:).

19. - Top - End - #1009

Angelo, roll a Will save.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1010

Beholder

Spoiler: Playing the flute unwise?:)
    Show

Will save: (1d20+9)[29]

if he fails will reroll since Alexandrus will save with the kin bond bonus (don't know his save mod but will a d20 here with the +2: (1d20+2)[7]

21. - Top - End - #1011

Angelo plays the flute just fine .... he feels, a little weird doing so ... but it is a fine instrument.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1012

MonkGuy

Zauberei heads to bed.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, well I think I should be preparing for tomorrow. I expect a good deal of undead and haunts based on what we've seen so far." Hargrimm says while absently stroking the holy symbol of Folgrit in the tangle around his neck with his thumb.

"It's a pleasure to meet you both. I'm Hargrimm by the way. Maybe one of you can destroy the manacles. It would be nice to have that rope back." he says mostly to himself as he heads for his room.

24. - Top - End - #1014

SamuraiGirl

Marius, seeing his compatriots heading off to sleep, smiles meekly and offers to the newcomers, "Anyone up for a friendly game of cards before turning in for the night?"

After a round or two of cards or if nobody accepts his offer, Marius likewise heads for bed with Paula the lab rat in tow.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru looks around and briefly at Marius before moving slightly closer to his brother while muttering what seems to be No thank you…”
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-06-02 at 01:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1016

And with that, it is bed-time for all.

Wealday, 1 Pharast 4711 AR (Waning Crescent)
    Weather: 40/20F. Dry.

That heat wave? It left with the month of Calistril. Though the first month of spring, the winter is not ready to die out completely. It will be a freezing cold day today for most of the day, and damned cold even when it's not freezing.

Abrax says he has business in town, and will not be able to join the group. He says no more about what that business is.

Any plans before the group leaves for Harrowstone? It might just be a bit too cold for what some of you are wearing, unless you leave later in the day.

Meanwhile, does anyone intend to change their daily setups?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ogre in the Playground

Feeling refreshed after his morning routine, Hargrimm tries to be more personable. To the brothers he says "I apologize for cutting our introductions short last night. We've had what can charitably be called 'a rough week'. I am Hargrimm Saresun, cleric of Folgrit." He offers a quick bow and firm handshakes.

"After Mr. Evans shoos me away again for trying to help with chores I hoped to go into town. I need some supplies before we return to Harrowstone and it's Wealday, so a new parchment should be up. When we do get to Harrowstone, I have a spell that should help us deal with the cold a bit longer, but not as long as I'd like."

28. - Top - End - #1018

"I'll stay behind until it's time to go back to Harrowstone, but protection against the cold would be nice," says Wren in his threadbare clothing.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1019

Beholder

"Thank you Hargimm, it is a pleasure to meet you. It is good to have a cleric going into such dangers. I have some skill worh the arcane, some influence with corporeal undead, and decent at exploring dangerous areas." Angelo responds in kind.

"And morning all. It does sound like you all have had an eventful time here to put it mildly. I know that it will take time to build trust. If you could use help woth the errands before we go to the prison I would be happy to assist with that despite the chill. Cold doesn't bother me as much as it does most people."

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Thank you..." Alexandru says as he responds to the handshake before returning to his seat near his brother.

No change to any sort of lineup.