New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1443
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

Zauberei nods with acceptance to move that way.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Colossus in the Playground

The party checks each cell of the west-central corridor. Each cell has a skeleton of a prisoner who died of smoke inhalation. All the doors get wrenched off the hinges. The entire middle-western cellblock is verified safe after an hour-and-half and with Wren performing another teamwork awareness exercise near the beginning and at the end of that time. LightI cantrips are refreshed a few times during that period.

Back to the east .... do you want to start with the doors to the east and going south? or from the southern doors, heading east and then north?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru starts towards the southern doors and looks back at Wren, waiting.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #1414

Over the next 35 minutes, the team listens, clears, door-wrenches, and thoroughly searches all of the cells of this area. As before, they contain skeletons that died of smoke inhalation in their cells. There is only one door left to check to the east, and then a set of double doors to the far north at the eastern end of the mess hall.

Before checking the door to the east, Wren takes another three rounds of discussion and updating people's perceptions about the area for continued heightened awareness.

He then listens at the door, and hearing nothing backs off for Lexi to take two tries to open the ruined door. Beyond is the saddest cell of all, for it is smaller than all the others. Not quite an oubliette, but so closed in as to make one nearly claustrophobic, complete with its skeleton. This one has all manner of scratch marks and dried blood on the door where the prisoner had clawed desperately to get out.

Only the double doors to the north on the eastern and southern end of the mess hall remain.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1415

Beholder

"Perhaps we start with the foors to the south?" Angelo suggests.

6. - Top - End - #1416

SamuraiGirl

Marius considers Angelo's proposal with a perplexed expression. He strolls toward him, leans in, and politely yet softly says to him, "Forgive me if I am out of line, but I think you mean the doors south of the mess hall, no? That was going to be my suggestion, if not."

7. - Top - End - #1417

The party heads to the north and then opens the double doors. Once a kitchen, this room is now nothing more than charred, blackened remains. A single, blackened door is to the south.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru heads to the remaining door and prepares to see what’s on the other side. Nodding at Wren when he’s ready.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

9. - Top - End - #1419

The door team does their thing. The 10' area beyond is just an adjoining pantry. While it once contained foodstuffs, it was picked clean by rats and squirrels long ago.

So, with that, all known entrances have been checked on the second floor.

When the party discusses this, with Lexi's insight, Zauberei realizes there is a large "void" that the party had not yet checked. When you check the walls adjoining where the void would be, you find no secret doors. Angelo and Marius (engineers) figure that the void is not actually a "secret" void but load-bearing walls for Harrowstone, and an architectural void, not an actual one.

The second floor is complete!

Any final things up here, or go downstairs?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-11-24 at 05:23 PM.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru doesn’t see much point to delaying and is ready to go downstairs.

11. - Top - End - #1421

MonkGuy

Zauberei is ready to go downstairs.

12. - Top - End - #1422

SamuraiGirl

Marius smiles weakly at the party's success but then adds tentatively, "We can begin working downstairs if you prefer, but was there not a ladder here going up as well? Perhaps we should investigate that lead before we go down, just to be down with all of the upper levels for good? I imagine it is probably just a tower or rooftop access. Otherwise, we still have that pit downstairs ahead of us to brave... and Father Charlatan, whenever he decides to appear."

13. - Top - End - #1423

Wren says, "Unless there is a spirit dancing on the rooftop ... who cares?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1424

Beholder

"That wouldn't surprise me Wren," Angelo says with a wry grin. "But it sounds like we are ready to explore that pit. Let us go back down there and set up some ropes to safely descend."

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm nods his approval. "I'm not looking forward to embarrassing myself during the climb, but at least we are nearing the end of our mission."

16. - Top - End - #1426

SamuraiGirl

Marius smiles sheepishly at Wren's reply. "Point conceded: downwards it is, I suppose. Once we are at the pit entrance, we should definitely take time to secure the ropes. Did anyone bring a climber's kit, by chance? Otherwise, we will need to jury-rig anchors from whatever points the crumbling building can offer."

He starts for the stairs and gestures for the party to follow, but then Marius pauses and offers conciliatorily, "Do note that I can brew up one or two extracts that will--for a few minutes--grant a lightly-encumbered and armored the climbing speed of a monkey. I would prefer to save them for the departing climb, in case ascending proves difficult, but if we fear an ambush or dangerous terrain at the bottom, it would enable a scout to scamper down to ensure the coast is clear before we drop the ropes in."

17. - Top - End - #1427

"I can be that scout," says Wren. "I can make it down with no problem. Once down, I can help belay or secure the bitter end of the rope while also calling up with what I see."

The party makes their way back the the ground floor and then the area with the pit.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1428

MonkGuy

"I will cast light on some rubble and toss it down", offers Zauberei.

Spoiler: light
    Show

If nonsays otherwise he will cast light.

19. - Top - End - #1429

Zauberei casts his spell, and carefully stands on the lip and tosses it down. It only goes down 20'.

One of the things he sees is that there is an overhang all around the rim of this upper hole. This means that to go into the pit would be extremely difficult for any climber. First, they'd have to manage the overhang, and then their job becomes "easier" in climbing the rubble on the sides down to the bottom.

Assuming Zauberei says as much, Wren offers, "Well, we have two ways to go about this. First, tie a rope around secured timbers against the stronger walls. Or, more simply but more time-consuming, see if we can't get a ladder from Ravengro."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1430

SamuraiGirl

Marius frowns at the pit. "I suppose it makes sense," he finally says, pointing at the pit's overhang, "that the prison would make its pit cell block especially hard to exit. I do not like dawdling, but I think the ladder would be the safer solution. While currently we could enter and exit that pit with only moderate difficulty, there is no telling what state we will be after quelling the ghosts down there. If Ravengro lacks such a tool, we could at least attempt to acquire a climber's kit from a merchant as a backup."

21. - Top - End - #1431

MonkGuy

"I agree, a ladder is a good idea.", Zauberei says.

22. - Top - End - #1432

Wren says, "We could celebrate our clearing the first and second floors with a good dinner tonight, and reattack with ladder tomorrow."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru nods his agreement to coming back tomorrow as he notices his tummy rumbling slightly at the mention of dinner.

24. - Top - End - #1434

MonkGuy

"A good meal and a good book sound good to me.", says Zauberei

25. - Top - End - #1435

Beholder

"Brother, are you thinking with your stomach again?" Angelo asks.

"But if it is getting that late already then we can head back."

26. - Top - End - #1436

SamuraiGirl

Marius gives a rare smile at the thought of home. "With nothing more we can do here, home is our destination regardless for now. Perhaps we could start up a friendly card game after dinner?"

Since everyone seems to be in agreement, Marius will usher the party back toward the entrance, dutifully reminding them as he goes, "Best button up before we step outside though. A chill like this can be a deadly specter in its own right."

27. - Top - End - #1437

MonkGuy

Zauberei will cast endure elements cold communal.for our trip to the house.

28. - Top - End - #1438

The group returns to Lorrimor House, giving a debriefing over dinner.

Anything special after dinner?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Alexandru will continue his language learning.

30. - Top - End - #1440

MonkGuy

"I will be glad to play a game of chance if you teach me the rules.", Zauberei says.