New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

Assume you get to dinner to conduct post-research briefing and the like. The first thing mentioned is what was learned regarding Harrowstone.

Once everyone gets to talking about what they might know about a "Whispering Way," with helpful insight from Marius, Zauberei is able to recall the following ...
    • The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years.
    • Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the society itself has existed much longer than even that mighty necromancer.
    • The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers—the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

Kendra will add, "If it is something my father was looking into, you might find out more about this 'Whispering Way' in his library."

Completely off-topic, Wren says, "I learned a rumor today... The food at the Laughing Demon isn’t all fun and games—and it’s no coincidence that Zokar serves more corpse chowder after unpopular merchants 'leave town,' never to be seen again. If Zokar invites you into the Demon’s back room for a complimentary taste of that evening’s chowder, watch out!"

He lets that silliness sink in. "Otherwise, that's the last rumor that wasn't a repeat of others I have heard before I could learn today, so I think I have discovered all of the actionable or vaguely interesting gossip in town that they're willing to share with a stranger."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm swallows a mouthful as he both figuratively and literally digests. "That is a very interesting rumor. If we were to investigate The Laughing Demon, we might find a connection to the Whispering Way. Even if there is no connection, it would still be a good idea to make sure this Zokar isn't doing anything nefarious."

Hargrimm stares at his plate a long moment before shrugging and taking another bite.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

"Excuse me all, it sounds like there is more studying to do. Mistress Kendra, I would like to avail myself of your father's library to study the cult."

Zauberei will stay up a few hours later looking into the cult.
    Last edited by Tippnick; 2021-08-02 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Clarification of who was speaking

4. - Top - End - #154

Beholder

"Thank you for finding out that information Wren."

"Kendra, thank you for the reminder and I would like to also study a bit of the cult tonight. I think it is fitting to investigate such a dangerous cult as soon as possible before they achieve anything further."

5. - Top - End - #155

Is anyone else going to to anything else, or call it a night?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Rising from his plate, Othello stretches and says, "Well, I'm going to call it a night. Razvan, I suggest you do so as well, and we can try to pay an early call on the good Father tomorrow? Maybe catch him before he goes out and about? What say you?"
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax offers well wishes to all as he finishes dinner and heads to his room for the night.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by BuckGodot View Post
    Rising from his plate, Othello stretches and says, "Well, I'm going to call it a night. Razvan, I suggest you do so as well, and we can try to pay an early call on the good Father tomorrow? Maybe catch him before he goes out and about? What say you?"
    "If the Father does not drop by tonight, as it is starting to look as such, then I would happily go with you to pay an early visit. Though I would like to lay the ground work with Zauberei and though we may not finish tonight I would prefer to be forewarned. Do not think that I do not welcome your counsel master dwarf, for you do talk good sense and wish you and all of you restful sleep."

9. - Top - End - #159

SamuraiGirl

As Kendra and the others begin revealing the mysteries of the cult, Marius runs through a gamut of emotions. He expresses pleasant surprise to see his question interest the others, then gratitude to Kendra and Zauberei for their research work, and finally mildly unease over the answers the party ultimately unearths. "That is not good news, though now we can at least anticipate the worst. It still doesn't explain the cult's interest in Harrowstone, apart from the rumors of undead there, but the Professor saw some link, so it must be there. Given the urgency in his journal and the powers we now know are at play, tarrying overlong may be unwise. But forewarned is forearmed, I faith, so a day or so more of research may not hurt."

As some dive into a second round of research following dinner and the Pharasmans discuss Father Grimburrow, Marius seeks out Wren instead. "Glad you seem to excel at making nice with the locals: it's hard to gain their trust here, though between the prison and the necromancers I'm starting to not blame them. The other day, I said I would enjoy chatting as colleagues with you, and I meant it. I'd love to hear more about your methods as an investigator, if you have the time tonight."

Assuming their conversation is uneventful chitchat, Marius will not stay up too late and retire after an hour or so.
    Last edited by Ason; 2021-08-03 at 07:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

Oathday, 24 Calistril 4711 AR
    (Temp: 65/45F. Precipitation: None. Wind: None. Humidity: Dry)

It is actually warmer than yesterday, and as it is the last month of winter, it is considered unseasonably warm.

I am going to assume, unless you tell me otherwise in your first post, that you will all keep the same lineups, as there is nothing changing in information or intent that I can see to require or spur a change.

Hargrimm and Zauberei will be the primary researchers at Lorrimor Place regarding anything else that might be found regarding the Whispering Way.

Razvan and Othello are going to try to catch Father Grimburrow early at the Temple of Pharasma, seeking an audience with him.

What are Marius and Abrax going to do today?
    Show

11. - Top - End - #161

SamuraiGirl

Marius will assist Hargrimm and Zauberei in researching the Whispering Way at Lorrimor Place.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax takes a little extra time over his meditations this morning. He feels he has not been of help in the current endeavor and hopes to make his mark on the day. After breakfast, as the others set off to enact their plans he quietly slips out and heads off towards Harrowstone. A bit of reconnaissance seems in order.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm takes a quick shopping trip into town before returning to the Lorrimor library to research the Whispering Way.

Spoiler: Shopping list and spell swaps
    Show
    Swapping Mending for Scrivener's Chant, and using both 2nd level slots for Page-Bound Epiphany.

Shopping List:
    1x Journal (50 pages, 10GP, 1lbs per AON)
    1x Spellbook (100 pages, 15GP, 3lbs) for use as a focus for Page-Bound Epiphany.

14. - Top - End - #164

Razvan and Othello, you will both get an audience with Father Grimburrow. You are ushered into his chamber.

What do you say?
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Remember, this is pbp, and the longer we do back-and-forth, the longer the game takes. So, please, do not make a post that is a greeting, and expect every back and forth sentence. Please just state what it is that you want.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #165

Beholder

"Father Grimsburrow, we have learned that the Whispering Way are operating in the area; possibly at the prison. What have you learned about their activity and what steps have you taken to keep these people safe from that despicable cult? If this is news to you I am glad that we are making you aware so that you can prepare properly. Let us share knowledge and see what we know of this cult and the prison.

We have also learned of supplies that will be useful in combating this cult and need your approval to access the Restlands. Though we do not intend on violating anyone's rest.

Thank you for your assistance in purging any trace of this cult from this town."

16. - Top - End - #166

Father Vauran Grimburrow listens patiently, sternly, and almost sphinx-like in ability to read the whole time.

"Mr. Milosoveanu, you are little better than two days out of seminary. You have no jurisdiction. You have no charter. You are here on personal business attending, from what I understand, the funeral of a mentor. You mention a 'despicable cult' and put forth some very questionable rhetorical tactics. The most questionable of all is that you base this claim of cult activity with no evidence. That is the very core of being an inquisitor being able to process a claim, isn't it?

"You are not given permission to pillage whatever you think you'll find in the Restlands. If I hear that you ... and now that you both have been told ... any of your merry band having done so, I will bring that matter to the attention of the Sheriff.

"I will tell you what does trouble me. The fact that at some point .... perhaps in what I perceive to be noble upbringing ... you have come into town with the most flagrant and palpable level of entitlement. I don't care what you think you found. The town is ill at ease right now. Harrowstone - which I understand has been a source of research for you lately - has lain on the hill stirring the imagination of outsiders for decades. You have been here for a handful of days. My town has become more unsettled the last few days. I am sure you see my thinking here .... the trouble is you and your 'oh, we have a mission/ quest/ adventure in this backwater town!' friends.

"And no,"
    he says turning to Othello, "I don't need to hear your more 'sonorous' voice as a balm to his social fudgery."

He turns back to Razvan. "If you ever demand ... openly or between-the-lines ... anything of me again, I will see your vows stricken from the record at the Cathedral. And I better not hear about you lording any implied power over anyone in my parish or flock. You are a stranger with nothing, and since you failed in professional courtesy from day one here, you will receive nothing from your betters here, as each and every one of my acolytes have more time on the dirt serving as ordained members of the Lady.

"Do I make myself clear, Mr. Milosoveanu?"

Spoiler: Razvan, Othello
    Show
    To impart to you something other than dead words on white screen. Look at the picture above, and now imagine a man who is every bit as terrifying (when he wants to be) as his reputation. Razvan is shaken for three full rounds (18 seconds) as far as game mechanics. Othello, you do not feel fear, but you do sense insurmountable conviction that gives one pause. Otherwise, the RP is ... you are both stunned at how much more force of personality he has than you expected.

Do not attempt to prolong the conversation. It's not about trying/ re-trying/ re-trying. This conversation/ negotiation is over today, and you had your ass handed to you by someone well above your paygrade.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-08-10 at 07:33 AM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

Beholder

Razvan gives him a nod of the hat and turns to head back to the house.

18. - Top - End - #168

Regarding Zauberei and Marius' research on The Whispering Way at Lorrimor Place, Marius proves a brilliant research assistant both in matters of theology and arcane traditions. The Whispering Way delves into both, but it is the latter that is Zauberei's true strength. Hargrimm has more of a smattering of arcane knowledge. His theological knowledge - especially regarding undead - is much better; but all-in-all he doesn't help much in research so much as he helps write notes for the other two. Professor Lorrimor's Library - while not very helpful regarding Harrowstone - is much more useful in searching information regarding this nefarious group. Unfortunately, there is so much generalized data, that the day is spent getting used to how Professor Lorrimor set up his library. Nothing new is learned, but some of what was previously known is supported in print.

Razvan and Othello will return to the other two, spending the day reading or otherwise making use of their time (but not really adding to any research efforts).
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Later, perhaps at dinner, Othello will speak up... "Well, as you all are aware, the meeting with the good Father went exceptionally... poor. I guess that we best not bark up that tree again. I do not want to test his patience nor his threats. We will just have to tread lightly and proceed discreetly. Any suggestions on how to begin?"

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Hargrimm grimaces behind his beard. "Sorry to hear about your rough luck. If it softens the blow at all, ours wasn't much better. The only thing I learned today is a dreadful new jump rope rhyme. It's all blood and murder, so I'll definitely be keeping it from the children back home." He begins humming the tune that's been in his head all day as he butters a roll.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Taking a roll and the gravy boat Othello says as he proceeds to drown said roll, "Well, Razvan was eloquent and there was nothing I was going to be able to say that would sway the formidable mind of Father Grimsburrow and believe you me, he lives up to his name. He... taking a large bite... "... has der mind f a steel trp. Her thrntnd to..." swallowing..."...turn us all over to the Sherriff if he finds anything amiss... Please pass the potatoes... in the Restlands so I can surely say, I don... Butter, please? Don't want to run amok of the law here. So how do we move forward? Peas anyone?" he says holding the bowl aloft before taking a hefty scoop and putting them on his plate.

22. - Top - End - #172

"What was the rhyme?" asks Wren of Hargrimm.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

"I remind you it's dreadful, but if you insist." Hargrimm repeats the rhyme as best he can without the aid of his new journal.

"Put her body on the bed.
    Take a knife and lop her head.
    Watch the blood come out the pipe.
    Feeds the stirge, so nice and ripe.
    Drops of red, so sparkly bright.
    Splatters spell her name just right.
    With a hammer killed his wife.
    Now he wants to claim your life.
    Tricksy father tells a lie.
    Listen close or you will die."
    he sing-chants as musically as he can.

"And they were just little girls singing this. One said it was a song they had known forever. Excellent rope jumpers though."

24. - Top - End - #174

Kendra blanches at first, and then thinks about it. "Well, when I think about a lot of nursery rhymes, they are usually pretty horrible, aren't they? There's one about a cradle with a baby in it that falls out of a tree. One about flowers kept in the pocket to ward off the stench of a plague Ustalav once suffered. Even one about a bridge that fell that caused a lot of deaths. I wonder why nursery rhymes are so dreadful?"

Wren looks to Hargrimm and says, completely outside the main pulse of the conversation. "That was well done. I know you were just reading from notes, but you have a good sense of reading poetry, Hargrimm."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax listens as the others describe their day. He shakes his head as Razvan and Othello tell of their failed encounter with Father Grimburrow. The good father may well have been in charge of his small parish for too long if he is willing to speak to another clergyman so.

Hargrimm's rendition of the children's poem gave him pause. Something so foul should not be on the lips of children.

Once they are done discussing the nursery rhyme, Abrax speaks up, "My day was no more productive. I scouted the exterior of Harrowstone, primarily to discern if there has been any recent activity there. I saw nothing of note. But, upon preparing to depart, a set of horse and wagon tracks passed me by, but there were no horses or wagons to be seen. I employed a technique that would have allowed me to recognize an invisible conveyance, and again nothing. Yet the tracks continued ahead of me. I started to follow them but was distracted by a feral cat. When I looked back, the tracks had disappeared."

Show

26. - Top - End - #176

SamuraiGirl

Building on Hargrimm's report, Marius adds, "I myself quite like the tune for the one about Madame Lucille's child ingesting a bathtub, although its denigration of the medical profession leaves something to be desired. Children in my hometown used to sing it all the time. But at least today's research was able to confirm some of yesterday's musings: outside verification of one's conclusions is essential to empirical research, after all."

At hearing Abrax's news, Marius leans in with interest. "Good form, Abrax! At least we know that something seems to be going on at the prison, even if not exactly what. As for the town itself, I thought Courtaud was remote, but Ravengro's isolationism seems frightful. We should assume the worst will be assumed about us and tread with extreme care. 'No good deed goes unpunished,' it seems, and so the Restlands now seems a lost cause. Unless anyone has any better ideas, I fear Harrowstone is our next destination."
    Last edited by Ason; 2021-08-11 at 07:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177

Beholder

"Thinking back, the Father seemed possibly defensive but I agree that the Restlands are currently a lost cause it seems. Perhaps if circumstances change...not sure what would change the preacher's mind though.

It does sound like we shall we going to investigate the prison next. Perhaps if we can make our way there without being noticed by the townsfolk it might be best; with how they reacted to the Professor investigating even with the townsfolks interests in mind."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Between bites Othello pipes in, "That sounds intriguing! The wagon tracks! Were there any accompanying sounds?" reaching out for a serving of sliced beef...
    "I think we are well enough equipped to deal with anything we encounter. I'm quite adept at smashing undead things. May I suggest that when we go, perhaps if we went out singularly or in one or two teams and met up in a particular location it may draw less attention?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Abrax nods to Marius even though he doesn't feel he accomplished much. When Othello speaks, Abrax shakes his head, "No, no sounds. I just happened to notice the tracks as they passed me on the trail.

And I agree, we can manage, at least for now without the gear in the Restlands. If we discover we are overmatched, we can always visit the graveyard by night. I want to see more of this prison. I suggest we slip out before daylight in pairs and make our way there on the morrow."

Show

30. - Top - End - #180

Wren smiles, not having been answered by Hargrimm, but listening to the rest, "Listen, it seems that the people don't quite trust us. It doesn't matter if you go out with just your head rolling on the ground or fifty of you - they're going to think the worst. If you go out in small groups, they may think mischief. But if there is a large armed party expediting to the south, that might not dissuade the notion of mischief, but the amount of rumors that can peel off that is much more interesting. I know from talking to people that the people were impressed with the lack of violence at the burial ... and I already heard about the kindly dwarf who spoke kindly to a group of girls today, so that is good. But our enemy is time. The longer we spend here without making a good presence, the worse it will be. Familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

"That,"
    he says, chewing absent-mindedly, "and something I can't quite put my thumb on is making people a little on edge around here. It seems separate from us, but with us as the only different thing happening in town that people can see, we are the obvious cause to a Ravengrite.

"As for me, I did some more hobnobbing with the locals .... if you couldn't tell from me already hearing about Hargrimm's favorable encounter. Yesterday, you uncovered information that five particularly infamous criminals arrived at the prison very shortly before the Harrowstone Fire. So I asked some of the elderfolk who would deign to talk to me ... and give me some food when I was begging in these clothes ... and here is what I learned about them...

"Originally, Harrowstone housed only local criminals, but as the prison’s fame spread, other counties and distant lands began paying to have more dangerous criminals housed within this prison’s walls. At the time of the great Harrowstone Fire, the number of particularly violent or dangerous criminals imprisoned within the dungeons below was at an all-time high.

"The five most notorious prisoners in Harrowstone at the time of the great fire were Father Charlatan, the Lopper, the Mosswater Marauder, the Piper of Illlmarsh, and the Splatter Man.

"Now, that's the best I could find. And I think that's the best just talking to people will tell me. If you go to Harrowstone tomorrow, that's fine. But I am going to stay behind and try to research what I can regarding these 'Five Prisoners.' I was trained as a detective ... which means part-time researcher ... not an explorer. As you can see, I don't even have anything to protect me against any dangers that might be found."
    Show