New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Carrion Crown: The Haunting of Harrowstone [IC]

Hargrimm realizes now what Wren was asking. "I forgot to ask the name of the rhyme, but your mention of The Lopper caught my ear. The line "Take a knife and lop her head" may be connected to the killer. Lop is a peculiar term to hear twice in the same day from different sources."

Hargrimm continues making leaps of logic, a bit more excited than the others have seen him. "The "Tricksy Father" could be Father Charlatan, and "Splatters spell her name just right" sounds like an allusion to the Splatter Man. The Mosswater Maurauder might be connected to the stirge mentioned and the word "pipe" was used, but that's flimsy at best."

He's worked himself up now and continues with a smile and a bit louder than he realizes. "These killers must have been ingrained in the public's imagination so deeply that children didn't even question a nursery rhyme about them!"

Hargrimm looks around the table and feels embarrassed about his zeal. "But, uh, those wheel tracks though, that's interesting." he finishes while trying to avoid eye contact.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

The party, having a lot to think about, takes their questions and concerned to be.

Fireday, 25 Calistril 4711 AR
    (Temp: 70/55F. Precipitation: None. Wind: None. Humidity: Dry)

It promises to be a little bit warmer today.

What is the singular or individual plan today?
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

"If anyone is going to Harrowstone today, I'll go with you to lend my healing. Otherwise, I'll stay with Wren and research these famous killers." Hargrimm offers.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

"Let us all go to Harrowstone together. For if the cult is there or there is something nefarious there we can better protect each other."

5. - Top - End - #185

MonkGuy

Zauberei asks, "Is it prudent to go into Harrowstone and stir up trouble with local authorities? Maybe if we just put our efforts into making the community feel comfortable around us, we could make inroads into finding out more truthful rumors. We can spend coin around town and ask questions of peoples coming's and going'. Maybe a night at the tavern?"

6. - Top - End - #186

Wren shrugs, "It might be good for you to go the tavern and sit with some locals for facetime. But if you are going for rumormongering, I'm pretty sure I've mined out every even vaguely interesting and actionable (and many non-actionable) rumors."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'm tired of sitting around! Let's get to the action! I say we head up there tonight for a look around! I think we know all we can... It's time to act!"
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

8. - Top - End - #188

Kendra looks aghast. "Are you mad?! Why would you go at night?!"
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

'Tonight?! We need to go now, while we have adequate daylight. If there ARE things to fear, they will be things we do not want to encounter at night!" Abrax says, almost simultaneously with Kendra's outburst.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Fine… I just thought it would draw a lot of attention if we went during the day. I’m more than confident we can handle anything that may climb out of a grave, be it day or night… I’ll gear up.” and he will go gather his things, if the party is of a mindset to go now.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

11. - Top - End - #191

Zauberei, it looks like you might be the last holdout. Are you going with the group to Harrowstone?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192

MonkGuy

Zauberei concedes and and says, "You can count me in this search of Harrowstone."

13. - Top - End - #193

SamuraiGirl

Marius nods his head in affirmation. "Harrowstone it is then. I suggest we leave posthaste and retreat back here before nightfall: perhaps tomorrow if need be we set out before morning light to be more discreet. Regardless, if necromancers truly do lurk at the prison, I want daylight as our ally. I fear the odds are against us enough already, delving into such a cursed place."

14. - Top - End - #194

Harrowstone is located on a barren hill south of the city of Ravengro, the stark, sagging roof of its central structure visible through a large gap in the surrounding wall. A partially overgrown track leads from the southern edge of town, winding around the base of the hill and then back up along its southern slope to the prison itself.

It's assumed the party goes straight up to the main entrance with the courtyard tower doors. A sagging wood and metal gate set between a pair of stone guard towers once barred entrance into Harrowstone, but the gates now hang negligently open, creaking softly in what wind touches the ruined bars.

The stone wall that surrounds most of the prison grounds is covered with creeping ivy, and the blocks beneath that growth are eroded. The walls themselves are 20' high.

What does the party do?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195

MonkGuy

Zauberei casts a spell and arcane symbols shimmer over his body and you get a glimpse of
    them forming in the shape of armor around him.

"I am ready to go in. Let us be careful about this. Someone should take the lead."

Spoiler: spell
    Show

Casts Mage Armor
    Last edited by Tippnick; 2021-08-18 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Grammar

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello readies his shield and war axe.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can make a connection with you all that will increase your resilience and reaction time slightly. I can also brace our spirits with a reading from my prayer book." Hargrimm offers as his hands begin to glow.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Investing 2 essentia into Banelight Vortices, and investing 1 essentia into each teammate that consents, via Akashic Bond, and adding the speed vivication.

Also, reading the book of war prayers aloud to the group unless someone tells me to stop.

18. - Top - End - #198

In this group of relatively devout (and in each one's own way, superstitious) persons, I can't imagine any of them denying the power that Hargrimm offers, or for a priest that gives prayers before a dangerous undertaking.

Hargrimm reads from his book of prayers of inspiring stories. If anyone was feeling a little trepidatious, after a 10-min. vignette having been read, his story seems to lift your spirits. In addition, from Hargrimm himself you all feel a sort of buoying that you can't quite put a finger on.

The priest having done his prayers ... now what?
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

"I looked around inside without entering yesterday, but saw nothing of concern at that time.
    Hopefully, nothing has changed overnight."

Abrax also casts a spell when the others do. it has a similar effect as Hargrimm's.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Mage Armor (+1 CL), Spend 1 PE on Enhanced Senses for Scent for 1 minute.
    Last edited by Kvard51; 2021-08-18 at 05:12 PM.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200

SamuraiGirl

Standing before the prison at last, Marius gulps nervously before fishing out a vial of brown liquid and gulping that down too. Wiping the juice off his lips, Marius then straps his shield onto his arm and checks the straps on his lucerne hammer's holster, readying himself for the grim work ahead. Marius also addresses Hargrimm, saying "Thank you for that spell and blessing. We may need them."

Zauberei's question gives Marius pause, however, and the young man thinks it over as the reality of their situation sinks in. Finally, he answers to the rest of the group, "I served in the militia a few years back, so I guess can take point and lead the way quietly, as long as you all are not far behind. If my time is today, then my time is today." While Hargrimm's prayers gave him the courage to volunteer at all, Marius still seems on edge at the prospect of going first or even going in at all.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Marius drinks an extract of Ant Haul, tripling his carrying capacity for the next six hours.

If the others consent to Marius taking point, he will quietly approach the door, inspect it for dangers or locks, put an ear against it to listen, and finally--if no barriers or dangers present themselves--crack it open to peek in and then slip inside himself.

21. - Top - End - #201

Beholder

"Thank you as well for that blessing Hargrimm.

Marius, I have no objection to you taking the lead. Though if I may?" Razvan holds his hold symbol and utters a brief prayer as he reaches out to touch Marius. "May Pharasma guide your hand and watch over you."

As Marius moves forward, Razvan looks to keep a keen eye on the surroundings.

Spoiler: Blessing
    Show

If allowed, will cast Guidance upon Marius.

Then will use his senses and any relevant lore on the surroundings; if any knowledge can be gained he will share it with the others.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Othello pipes up, "I wouldn't mind taking the lead if it's okay? I think I'll be ready for anything and may have a jump on most of you in responding to a combat surprise."

It wasn't really noticeable until now as we're about to enter combat, but those standing in close proximity to Othello feel more confident and less fearful and also just a little more confident in their defense.

23. - Top - End - #203

MonkGuy

"I am not much good with staff but I can bash in the head of something if I try. Well maybe. If not then Nethys will guide my magic. I will keep to the rear."

Zauberei will bringnup.the rear as we go in.

24. - Top - End - #204

Othello might take the lead, but he effectively does so alongside Marius, who seems more methodical about things in a way that Othello isn't. A good match for front-duty.

It is an iron-wrought gate, not a wooden barrier, such that you can even see the grounds inside. Still, Marius is careful to check that the old gate isn't rusted so badly as to fall on anybody. While it seems like it needs care, he judges it to be safe and then slips inside.
    Spoiler: Marius
    Show
    As soon as you slip just inside, you are filled with a sudden rush of claustrophobia despite the wide open space. You have a split-second sensation that your skin is on fire, and you call on Razvan's blessing to ignore this sensation.

A place like this can surely make the imagination go wild.

The entire party crosses the threshold and is now in the great open expanse of the front lawn area of Harrowstone.

About 80' or so to the west-northwest there is an old stone tower, its wooden roof collapsed and its crumbling walls thick with ivy, extending a further ten feet above the twenty-foot-high wall.

About 60' to the north, just off the western edge of the path, a small brick manor house is overgrown with thick sheets of gray-green ivy. The roof sags ominously, and the front door hangs askew.

About 80' to the north-northeast at the end of the road, a two-story stone building looms in the center of the prison grounds. Ivy and moss cling tenaciously to the walls, while above the wooden shingles of the roof are often missing entirely, exposing the wooden rafters of the upper structure to the sky. Here and there, leering stone gargoyles perch on the eaves, once functioning as drainspouts and decorations but now seeming almost to serve a more ominous role of sentinels. Many of these stone decorations have crumbled away and lie in ruined piles on the soggy ground below. Windows in the building’s facade are narrow and blocked by grills of rusty iron bars. Stone columns support a slumping wooden balcony over the building’s wooden front doors, both of which hang askew and reveal dark glimpses of chambers within.

Were you to go north-northwest you would be able to go around the side of the prison proper.

A little over a hundred feet to the southeast there is a large pond of dark, muddy water spreading out along the eastern section of the prison grounds. Here and there, bits of ruined wall protrude from the water, and thick tangles of reeds and cattails grow along the muddy shores.

Where does the party go from here?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Seeing as the Manor House seems closest, Othello looks back at the party and the turns to start that direction.

26. - Top - End - #206

Razvan, you get a good look at the house, and it seems like this house is unstable, ready to collapse at any minute.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207

Beholder

"If you wish to investigate the manor house, be aware that we likely will not be able to enter it due to its instability. Though it may be worth a look at least to see if we can notice any clues."

Razvan will head that way with Othello. Once at the manor though he will not get too close and observe the house and the area to see what he can notice. After looking around, Razvan will take on a look of focus while scanning the manor and area.

Spoiler: Scanning
    Show

Mainly be using senses and lore while looking at the house if we do actually head that way.

Then planning on using detect undead to scan the manor and area. Razvan will report to the party what he notices or figures out.

28. - Top - End - #208

The party is already at the manor house. Razvan then notes that he doesn't sense any unquiet spirits.

Does the party leave the manor house be, or dare it to drop on their heads by exploring?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Since we've already come this much closer, I suggest we investigate the tower next. Any disagreement or alternate suggestions?"

If there are none, he will turn and start trudging off that direction.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2021-08-19 at 01:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210

Beholder

" We might eventually have to brave this mansion but not while we have other options. Let us indeed move towards the tower.

I will do what I can to keep an eye out."