New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D Base Class Contest XVI Chat Thread

Welcome to the chat thread for the sixteenth Base Class Competition for D&D 5e. If you wish to say anything about the competition which is neither a submission nor a vote, then it belongs here. You do not need to be a contestant to post here. You are allowed to critique a competitor’s work and offer suggestions on how to improve their homebrew through this thread, but it is preferred if you do so through that class’ specific thread (if applicable).

Current Contest: Divine Judgment
    Voting Thread: Coming September 13.

Spoiler: Former Competitions
    Show
    1st contest: Who Needs Swords or Sorcery?, won by WarrentheHero with the Inventor

2nd contest: Expect a low Margin of Terror, Won by Mourne with the Sleepwalker

3rd Contest: The Elements, and not the Periodic Ones (Probably?), won By Pygmybatrider with The Shaman

4th contest: Does Not Meet Expectations, won with a tie by Molemage with the Destined and Pygmybatrider's Mesmer

5th contest: Time to Chill out, won by Molemage with the Wintreborn

6th contest: The Monster Mash, won with a three-way tie by Molemage with the Golem, theVoidWatches with the Lycanthrope, and daemonaetae with the Elemental Scion

7th contest: Remix Mastery, won by KOLE with the Ranger Remixed

8th contest: Contest VIII: Magic Without Slots, won by MoleMage with the Cultist

9th contest: It's Time for Time, won by MoleMage with the Clockwinder

10th contest: Blast from the Past, won by PairO'DiceLost with the Martial Adept

11th contest: Contest XI: Signature Creation won by MoleMage with the Chef

12th contest: Contest XII: Hybrid Vigor won by MoleMage with the Witch

13th contest: Based in Science won by Old Harry MTX with the Pilot

14th contest: Contest XIV: Monster Mash II won by BerzerkerUnit with the Beheld.

15th contest: Contest XV: Partial Casters won by Damon_Tor with the Spellslinger.

Spoiler: Contest Rules
    Show

1) The class you homebrew should fit the theme. You can interpret the theme as broadly as you like without risk of disqualification, but doing so may reduce your chances of earning votes during the voting period.
    2) You may only create one base class. If you create more than one class then you must choose which one to enter and remove all the others from this thread and the contest (making them invalid) . If you do not specify which one you favor by the time voting begins, all of your content is invalid.
    3) When you submit your class you must create a post on this thread which either has the content or holds a link to it. You may also optionally create one other individual thread for your class on the homebrew design sub-forum. If it is found that you have revealed your class on another site or on another thread than one on the homebrew design sub-forum, your entry will be considered invalid. If you do make a specific thread for you class, please mention its involvement to the competition in that thread. If you use external formatting resources such as Homebrewery, or GMBinder it is recommended that you also create a PDF of the content and share it here.
    4) You may use other homebrew content (such as feats, spells, magical items and monsters) or even features to supplement your class, provided you have permission from the original creator and provide links to the source. Failure to receive permission from the original creation will disqualify you from entry in the current contest.
    5) Your class must have fully completed mechanics and descriptions for it to be valid. Entries are due by 11:59 PM Central Time on the deadline. Any submissions after this point are invalid. No changes can be made to your class while voting is taking place. Failure to comply with the previous rule will result in disqualification.
    6) Any content which has been declared invalid by the rules above cannot be voted for, but you may decide to remove it from the contest and create another class instead. If you are disqualified then you are not allowed to enter any more homebrew for this competition, though you may still vote and later enter the next competition.
    7) Please note that misunderstandings occur, if you break a rule which results in disqualification it might be excused if you can convince the group that it was a result of confusion over the rules.

Contests stay up for 8 weeks unless an extension is requested by participants. Voting threads then go up for 3 weeks before the next contest begins.

Spoiler: Suggested Themes
    Show

Dragons (What it says on the face.)
    Heroes from Myths (Take a specific figure from myth, folklore, or cultural stories, like Heracles or the Monkey King or even Paul Bunyan, and make it a class.)
    Other Media (Games, books, comics, movies, music, theater, even other TTRPGS).
    Breakfast Cereal Mascots (Current or historical.)
    Be Your Own Class (Turn an existing subclass into a feature-complete base class of its own.)
    Not in Kansas Anymore (You can't use the same core damage or spell progression as any of the core classes.)

Also note that themes that have not been used in at least six contests (anything up to It's Time for Time) are also eligible for being chosen.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2021-09-09 at 11:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest XVI Chat Thread

Currently drafting up a halfcaster heretic assassin that aims, by and large, to find and kill god. Hope that's still on theme for "divine judgment" - if the divine's getting judged, rather than judging!

The Godslayer v0.1 - a half-caster without extra attack, but with 2/3 rogue sneak scaling.
    - Can put its own version of "sneak attack" on both spell and weapon attacks, on its own turn. This sounds (and is) pretty strong but doesn't particularly exceed what paladin can do until late levels - because it replaces fighting style, Extra Attack, and 11th/17th level features! Regarding damage calcs, an 11th level minmaxed paladin core class carrying a shield with dueling does 2d8+14+2d8=32 with its action, while this does 4d6+1d8+5= 23.5 average. Expending a 2nd level spell slot, paladin smite increases by 3d8 to 45.5, while godslayer casting inflict wounds deals 4d6+4d10 = 36. This leaves me plenty of space to give them other strong features. Speaking of which:
    - Spell list is done, granting a mix of cleric offensive spells and wizard defensive spells, giving it a "novel" niche that I am sure has been done before but will pursue regardless lol. The one I am most likely to delete is spiritual weapon - it is extremely strong, works outrageously well with the above feature, and its flavour text references gods. blasphemous.
    - Planning to base the subclasses around foiling specific cleric domains - an anti-trickster with see invisibility, and an anti-death subclass with death ward, etc.
    - Capstone quite literally permits them to kill a god

Feedback much appreciated <3
    Last edited by luuma; 2021-07-07 at 08:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two main ideas for this one, not sure which to pursue.

Idea 1: the Avatar is a martial hybrid class. Their main mechanic is to transform temporarily into a more powerful god-like state. The state lasts a limited time, and they can shorten the transformation as a resource for some class features. As they level up they have more time transformed and therefor can access their resource features more frequently.

Idea 2: the Prophet is a pact-progression caster. Their secondary mechanic are Omens. They can declare an Omen when they cast a leveled spell, and each Omen has a trigger condition. When the trigger condition of the Omen occurs, the Prophet can use their reaction to activate it. At high levels, they can skip the first trigger to get a more powerful activation effect later on.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post

Idea 1: the Avatar is a martial hybrid class. Their main mechanic is to transform temporarily into a more powerful god-like state. The state lasts a limited time, and they can shorten the transformation as a resource for some class features. As they level up they have more time transformed and therefor can access their resource features more frequently.

Idea 2: the Prophet is a pact-progression caster. Their secondary mechanic are Omens. They can declare an Omen when they cast a leveled spell, and each Omen has a trigger condition. When the trigger condition of the Omen occurs, the Prophet can use their reaction to activate it. At high levels, they can skip the first trigger to get a more powerful activation effect later on.
    The Prophet sounds most interesting to me, but the Avatar still sounds pretty good.
    Temporarily back from the void between realities.
    Don't ask how long I'll be here for, I have no idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post

The Avatar reminds me of The Giant's Champion class for 3.5E. I always loved that thing, even if I never did get the chance to play it. Consider my vote tossed there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hope you're feeling better now, my guy.

The Prophet sounds extremely interesting, and I would absolutely love to see it. I reckon it's also more challenging to design - there's a high risk that the Omen's trigger just doesn't occur, which would feel really bad.

It probably makes sense for the Omens to focus on things that the party can enact themselves - e.g, triggering when the party hits the target with three attacks in a single round, rather than triggering when the target chooses takes the dodge action etc.

re: the avatar, "transformation time" sounds like an interesting a resource, but I imagine it would be weird in practice. If the only cost is duration, that means most of your resources are essentially free in quick engagements, and very expensive in drawn-out ones. I think it might be better if you sort of flip the idea on its head and have a pool of points that you can expend to either extend the transformation or fuel other features.

Excited to see how it turns out!
    Last edited by luuma; 2021-07-09 at 01:22 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

All right, the Punchadin is complete. PEACHes welcome but I probably won't change anything.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #8

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by luuma View Post
    Hope you're feeling better now, my guy.

The Prophet sounds extremely interesting, and I would absolutely love to see it. I reckon it's also more challenging to design - there's a high risk that the Omen's trigger just doesn't occur, which would feel really bad.

It probably makes sense for the Omens to focus on things that the party can enact themselves - e.g, triggering when the party hits the target with three attacks in a single round, rather than triggering when the target chooses takes the dodge action etc.

re: the avatar, "transformation time" sounds like an interesting a resource, but I imagine it would be weird in practice. If the only cost is duration, that means most of your resources are essentially free in quick engagements, and very expensive in drawn-out ones. I think it might be better if you sort of flip the idea on its head and have a pool of points that you can expend to either extend the transformation or fuel other features.

Excited to see how it turns out!
    An interesting mechanic if on the event Omen triggers don’t happen might be something like:

Fate Delayed
    Beginning at Xth level, if your Omen is not triggered it only means fate has a more dire plan. When an Omen is not triggered you gain a 1d6 Doom die. You can hold a number of Doom dice equal to your proficiency bonus. You can roll one or more of these dice as a reaction when a creature you can see is damaged or rolls a saving throw adding the result to the damage or penalizing the save by the result.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    An interesting mechanic if on the event Omen triggers don’t happen might be something like:

Fate Delayed
    Beginning at Xth level, if your Omen is not triggered it only means fate has a more dire plan. When an Omen is not triggered you gain a 1d6 Doom die. You can hold a number of Doom dice equal to your proficiency bonus. You can roll one or more of these dice as a reaction when a creature you can see is damaged or rolls a saving throw adding the result to the damage or penalizing the save by the result.
    Not sure about this. If omens gain a benefit for not triggering, that benefit has to be *less powerful than the benefit of triggering them, otherwise players will never want to trigger any omens at all. I think this offers too much of a benefit - taking 1d6 or more off a save as a reaction is incredibly powerful, so omens would have to be crazy strong! You'd just choose an omen you thought was impossible and use it to spam a free Heightened Spell every single turn with your reaction.

It also, oddly, incentivises the player to let their omen stack up on a noncombatant, because that lets them enter combat with a number of doom dice equal to their prof bonus.
    Last edited by luuma; 2021-07-10 at 02:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Daemon

Not sure about this. If omens gain a benefit for not triggering, that benefit has to be worse than the benefit of triggering them, otherwise players will never want to trigger them at all. I think this offers too much of a benefit - taking 1d6 or more off a save as a reaction is incredibly powerful, so omens would have to be crazy strong! You'd just choose an omen you thought was impossible and use it to spam a free Heightened Spell every single turn with your reaction.

It also, oddly, incentivises the player to let their omen stack up on a noncombatant, because that lets them enter combat with a number of doom dice equal to their prof bonus.
    I’ll be honest, I have no idea what the omen mechanic itself is, but I agree there should be a balance, but I disagree emphatically that the alternative to having the mechanic trigger should be worse. Additionally, you can keep the Doom dice thing as is and limit it to so many dice per long rest instead but in that case I’d bump the die to d10.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I disagree emphatically that the alternative to having the mechanic trigger should be worse.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You think that players should predict an event will occur, and gain a bigger benefit if the omen doesn't get trigger than if it does?

Surely the alternative to having the mechanic trigger has to be worse - if it's better to not have your omen occur, then the best option for this "prophet" class is to predict things incorrectly, which is just an absolutely bizarre design choice that doesn't make any thematic sense at all. If the class is based around prophecy, it should be best when it is prophetic, not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    All right, the Punchadin is complete. PEACHes welcome but I probably won't change anything.
    Some excellent features in there. Here's a bit of feedback in spite of the white text lmao

Spoiler: fighty man
    Show

I like punching style and holy fist a lot, and I think they’re balanced pretty well. 

Glorious Melee is a really really lovely ability, I’m a huge fan of it. I think it would feel excellent in-game, as it forces all enemies (even the many foes with like 10 to 20 feet of reach) to be in a position where they provoke opportunity attacks from your fists of justice. Simple, elegant, great design.

I would massively, massively recommend making their fists magical at 6th level for all subclasses. You might want to include loot with this class, to make up for the fact they can’t use any magic weapons with any of their punchy features!

Divine Grace gives Too Much Armor! It stacks with shields, and with heavy armor, which This feature essentially grants a +2 flat bonus to AC with no restrictions - which is what shield of faith gives you while requiring concentration! I’d wager that every charisma user would multiclass with this. It just gives them so much armor!

One possible feature to replace it with something much weaker - "When it comes to armor, your "strength of character" is incredibly literal. You can use your Charisma score in place of your Strength score for the purposes of meeting heavy armor requirements." Not that strong, but helps them play dex based builds with that finesse punching style.

And another - which keeps it strong but isn't quite as silly with multiclasses "While you're wearing armor and aren't holding weapons or a shield, you gain a bonus to AC equal to half your Charisma modifier (rounded down)"

Holy Rage - The only way to benefit from this feature is from “the first time you are damaged in combat each round” which means that the DM is the only person who decides when you get it. I think that puts the DM in an odd, awkward spot, so I’d prefer if it was more like the barbarian’s rage? I also think it’s best to give out resources in consistent amounts - never at random. I’d replace Fist of Vengeance with +2 or +3 rage points, instead.

Bane fist:
Extra Hard Knuckles - In 5e, Adamantine is the only material in the game that’s worth choosing. All other materials just do what magic weapons do - but your fists are already magic,so there’s no extra benefit.

Extra Extra hard knuckles - there are like two monsters total that resist/are immune to magic weapons, so I’m afraid this feature does almost nothing except increase nemesis damage.

Silent Fist: 
At 11th level it gives you about 21 bonus damage per turn when you have advantage (or 31 with quick punching style, more than an entire fireball) - and there are lots and lots of ways for your party to give you that advantage with spells. I’d rather this was 2d6 (but only once per turn), increasing to 4d6 at 11th, 5d6 at 15th, and 6d6 at 18th - this effect is pretty strong on a class with extra attack.
    Last edited by luuma; 2021-07-10 at 03:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Uff, I'm fully busy on my "Demigod" (on which I will have to ask you for advice in a few days), but as soon as I have time I read it!

13. - Top - End - #13

Daemon

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You think that players should predict an event will occur, and gain a bigger benefit if the omen doesn't get trigger than if it does?

Surely the alternative to having the mechanic trigger has to be worse - if it's better to not have your omen occur, then the best option for this "prophet" class is to predict things incorrectly, which is just an absolutely bizarre design choice that doesn't make any thematic sense at all. If the class is based around prophecy, it should be best when it is prophetic, not worse.
    Emphasis mine. No? And I'm not sure how you got there. I went on to say there did have to be a balance and I had only provided the example as an example because I didn't know how the actual feature would work.

I disagree that the player should expend a resource and if it didn't pop off exactly as intended the alternative be nothing or a worse effect. Again, I don't know how the intended mechanic would function, but a sorcerer that empowers a spell doesn't risk biffing it and only get to reroll 1 die. (I realize empower provides an inherent risk of "no/worse effect" but that's a statistical edge case and what you stated was hardwiring in a definitely worse benefit.)

As for being "best" when it's prophetic, the majority of fiction (with which I'm familiar) concerning prophecy focuses on how Fate can be averted/the prophecy was misinterpreted. I'm struggling to think of a single story other than maybe the poetic edda RE: Ragnarok and maybe the myth of Cassandra which focused on prophecies that came true as people believed they would. The problem then is Ragnarok is full of animistic metaphor and still hasn't come to pass (I don't recall the sun being swallowed by a wolf) and the whole nature of Cassandra's curse was no one believed her. The Oracle of Greek myth also gave out accurate prophecies, but the reward always came from averting them...

I'd argue that most of today's DnD playing audience is more familiar with Percy Jackson's Olympians than those of Homer and "go to Oracle, make what Oracle says will happen not happen to save the world" is I think the plot of 3/4s of those books.

So, yeah, I'm not sure "be prophet, set destiny" is actually the best core concept for a heroic class vs "be prophet, foretell potential fates so you and heroic allies can avert doom."

Note: none of this is intended to be an upsell on the earlier feature I pitched, since, I reiterate, I don't know how the Omen mechanic was intended to function, never said the failure benefit should outclass the successful one, only that I felt if they're spending a resource, the benefits for success or failure should be balanced.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

I disagree that the player should expend a resource and if it didn't pop off exactly as intended the alternative be nothing or a worse effect. Again, I don't know how the intended mechanic would function, but a sorcerer that empowers a spell doesn't risk biffing it and only get to reroll 1 die. (I realize empower provides an inherent risk of "no/worse effect" but that's a statistical edge case and what you stated was hardwiring in a definitely worse benefit.)

I mean... Heightened Spell and Seeking Spell metamagics say hello? And that's not even touching the wide array of "save and nothing happens" spells like charm person or banishment. Is it the best design? Maybe, maybe not. It's a matter of "is it worth the potential benefits?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I mean... Heightened Spell and Seeking Spell metamagics say hello? And that's not even touching the wide array of "save and nothing happens" spells like charm person or banishment. Is it the best design? Maybe, maybe not. It's a matter of "is it worth the potential benefits?"
    Both of those metamagics have fixed effects that are exactly as good each time you use them as the last.

Heightened spell inflicts disadvantage on target's save, it does not require the player to make a called shot of some sort and then grant disadvantage but also lower the spell save dc if they or an ally get sloppy. Still disadvantage, just not as good because...

Seeking spell provides a reroll to the spell attack, it doesn't require a called shot of some sort and give the reroll with a -2 penalty to hit if they or an ally gets sloppy. Still another chance to hit, just not as good a chance because...

We can go down the most of the list and the recurring theme will be "you spend points and get a benefit," not "you spend points and maybe get the benefit but maybe get another less valuable one if something doesn't go exactly right." Generally speaking, Sorcery points only ever feel like they're being wasted, but you really have to work to actually waste them. Otherwise, they consistently provide opportunities to deal more damage, affect more targets, or cast more spells.

My reading of the proposed mechanic was "when a 1st level or higher spell is cast" and, perhaps incorrectly, inferred that the Omen feature would be dependent on the NPCs or fellow PCs taking certain actions/succeeding or failing on certain checks. The additional effect was proposed as "something," if it got more developed than that, I didn't read it.
    In response I pitched "and if it fails, something else." I wrote up something I felt was interesting enough and mechanically valuable enough to be comparable to whatever effect the original Omen was likely to have but also generic enough that it wouldn't just be the same thing (since I had also Inferred Omens would be varied and specific). if you can only spit out a limited number of Omens, having nothing happen or being dependent on your allies being comfortable with you backseat driving their characters is not the best.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey y'all, thinking of joining the contest with this idea: (it's my first time doing one of these).

The Kshatriya. Based on hindu mythology, these warriors tap into the realm of divine magic to empower their own martial abilities. Using special incantations called Astras, they are able to unleash pseudo-spell like abilities and effects. In addition, they also have an Ideal to live up to, much like a paladin's oath. Each of the Ideals will be based off one of the major players of the Mahabharata.

Thoughts?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by bandti View Post
    Hey y'all, thinking of joining the contest with this idea: (it's my first time doing one of these).

The Kshatriya. Based on hindu mythology, these warriors tap into the realm of divine magic to empower their own martial abilities. Using special incantations called Astras, they are able to unleash pseudo-spell like abilities and effects. In addition, they also have an Ideal to live up to, much like a paladin's oath. Each of the Ideals will be based off one of the major players of the Mahabharata.

Thoughts?
    Sounds fantastic to me - a real untapped vault of inspiration! I recommend making the class as a spellcaster before replacing the "Spellcasting" with those Astras - it really helps keep track of the class' power level.

18. - Top - End - #18

Daemon

Sounds fantastic to me - a real untapped vault of inspiration! I recommend making the class as a spellcaster before replacing the "Spellcasting" with those Astras - it really helps keep track of the class' power level.
    I agree it’s a fantastic idea. As for a new subsystem, go for it if you like, but note- classes that introduce entire new subsystems seem to be underrepresented when voting time comes. Probably because of the effort required to properly evaluate a whole new system.

Edit: this Should have been a multiquote.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2021-07-12 at 11:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thoughts?
    As with any new class, you've got to differentiate it from existing classes, both the mechanics and the concept. Based on your description, this sounds like a paladin subclass to me.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Damon_Tor View Post
    As with any new class, you've got to differentiate it from existing classes, both the mechanics and the concept. Based on your description, this sounds like a paladin subclass to me.
    That's a fair assessment. In my mind, Kshatriyas are much more flexible than a Paladin in regards to their Ideals. One thing I was also thinking of was adding a Flaw as well, that a Kshatriya must seek to overcome. For example, let's take a Kshatriya who has the ideal of Truth. The flaw that they must overcome is Naivety.

Another differentiating factor is that the Kshatriya also manipulates divine energy to perform feats of martial strength. What do I mean by that? Well, in the Mahabharata, an example of this would be when Drona, mentor to the Pandavas, throws blades of grass with enough precision and force to pierce a ball and form a chain of grass to pull the ball out of a well.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

I was thinking about this as well. I didn't want to add another divine based halfcaster though. Perhaps something like the warlock?

22. - Top - End - #22

Daemon

I was thinking about this as well. I didn't want to add another divine based halfcaster though. Perhaps something like the warlock?
    I have a very limited points based subsystem I like to use that provides some extreme flexibility but also greatly limiting casting. You’re welcome to use it if it gets you where you want:

In brief-
    Max slot level 1/2 level round up (as full caster). But no slots. Spells known or preparation as fits your design.
    You get 1 (Arcane/Divine/Primal) Might point per level, when you cast a spell you spend Might points equal to slot level desired to cast.
    All might points come back on a short rest. This is functionally similar to warlocks and 4 5th level slots but allows either a few higher level spells to be cast or a lot of lower level spells. It also breaks out of the fixed “max power” format of pact slots allowing you avoid overspending on something like Misty Step (a spell you never want to give up, but always seems like such a waster after level 4).

Keep in mind- I operate on an assumed limit of 2 short rests per day and the assumption you won’t have access to Wish with this (though I honestly don’t think it would be that big a deal at that level as the difference between 1 wish a day and 6 is a lot finer than one would think).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

I have a very limited points based subsystem I like to use that provides some extreme flexibility but also greatly limiting casting. You’re welcome to use it if it gets you where you want:

In brief-
    Max slot level 1/2 level round up (as full caster). But no slots. Spells known or preparation as fits your design.
    You get 1 (Arcane/Divine/Primal) Might point per level, when you cast a spell you spend Might points equal to slot level desired to cast.
    All might points come back on a short rest. This is functionally similar to warlocks and 4 5th level slots but allows either a few higher level spells to be cast or a lot of lower level spells. It also breaks out of the fixed “max power” format of pact slots allowing you avoid overspending on something like Misty Step (a spell you never want to give up, but always seems like such a waster after level 4).

Keep in mind- I operate on an assumed limit of 2 short rests per day and the assumption you won’t have access to Wish with this (though I honestly don’t think it would be that big a deal at that level as the difference between 1 wish a day and 6 is a lot finer than one would think).
    Ah, I've seen a few classes like that. I might do that.

24. - Top - End - #24

Daemon

Forsaken is doneish. I might adjust the Raw Magic Slots to the Arcane Might feature I described above for the Wretched. Feedback appreciated.

I think it’s super tanky, probably too tanky or maybe actually just right.

Core routine is Spite Heaven, attack or dodge and weather hits. Wait for healing magic, then repeat.

Self-5ft AoE Vicious Mockery for the Cursed deals very fun, intended to evoke the idea of a pantheon of gods bickering about how to deal with you, punish those that acknowledge you by paying enough attention to track and further punishing those that try to ignore you and their hate for you.

Might go back to no Armor proficiency and give them unarmored combat at 1, per Barbarian, but that almost feels like they’re then too similar.

As is you take the hits and make up for weaker weapons by making more attacks.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2021-07-13 at 12:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Forsaken is doneish. I might adjust the Raw Magic Slots to the Arcane Might feature I described above for the Wretched. Feedback appreciated.

I think it’s super tanky, probably too tanky or maybe actually just right.

Core routine is Spite Heaven, attack or dodge and weather hits. Wait for healing magic, then repeat.

Self-5ft AoE Vicious Mockery for the Cursed deals very fun, intended to evoke the idea of a pantheon of gods bickering about how to deal with you, punish those that acknowledge you by paying enough attention to track and further punishing those that try to ignore you and their hate for you.

Might go back to no Armor proficiency and give them unarmored combat at 1, per Barbarian, but that almost feels like they’re then too similar.

As is you take the hits and make up for weaker weapons by making more attacks.

Looking really solid, with a lot of well thought-out features. Notes in the spoiler

Spoiler: venom starring tom hardy
    Show

General:
    - I think that the core class should deal more consistent damage per round. It can only access simple weapons, and gains nothing to act as the equivalent of fighting style/sneak attack/rage damage/martial arts. The Wretched and the Cursed are stuck with a single simple weapon attack per turn (with Cursed relying on a risky Wis save to do more). This is a problem throughout its entire level curve - at 3rd it does like 1d8+3 =7.5 per round maximum (while barb does more like 2d6+3+2 =12), at 7th it does 2d8+8=16 (while barb does 4d6+8+4 =26), and at 14th it does about 3d8+15= 28.5 (while barb does 2d12+10+6+ approx 2.6 from brutal critical =31.6, not factoring in its subclass feature - which usually gives it a full free attack as a reaction)

I think Fearsome Rise could fill this gap if it was replaced with a very consistent feature that almost always gets used - e.g "whenever you take damage, you can use your reaction to make a weapon attack against a creature within 5 feet of you. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of this attack".

- The core class has no limited resources until 9th level, which could make each turn a bit samey, because there's not much decisionmaking involved in each turn. This is also sort of true of Barbarian, in most games, because it rarely runs out of rages in most groups' adventuring days. Not a major issue really.

Features

I like the tankiness provided by these starting features a lot, and the 9th level regen is also neatly designed. I've only picked out the ones I saw issue with - but in general, I really like this class.

Divine Ecstasy is especially nicely designed, and I'm a big fan of it.

Spite Heaven A really nice unique core feature - can be exploited by aarakocra but **** aarakocra. This appeals to me a lot.

Fearsome Rise. This should maybe read "whenever you critically succeed on a death saving throw or succeed on a saving throw against a hostile creature's effect, " - you get rewarded for odd nonsense like pouring ball bearings on the ground and running around in them, or drinking a bunch of booze all the time until you have to save against vomiting, or getting caught in your allies' AoEs. (edit: I realise Hear No Evil is designed to exploit this, but I do still think the current wording is a little bit janky)

Divine Secrets is surely a little too exploitable? For example, War Domain's Avatar of Battle feature gives you permanent resistance to blu/sla/pir, while tempest domain gives you semi-permanent flying speed.

Primordial Gibberish should probably specify hostile creatures, because otherwise it's mostly just going to screw over your party. The party almost always casts more than its opponents in combat - so there are very few times when it's good to use this feature in its current state.

Hear No Evil technically always targets you with Vicious Mockery too. I assume this is an intentional method of proccing Fearsome Rise? Seems alright, but it will feel absolutely dreadful whenever it fails its wis save (with no proficiency) against its own solid DC - and that'll happen frequently. Assuming Fearsome Rise is kept the same, I would like it to say "you automatically succeed on your saving throw against the spell" - then it's pretty solid.

I really like What Was, but Aura of Undoing, in its current form, does too much damage to them. Absolutely needs to say "other creatures that start their turn within 10 feet of you...", or "other hostile creatures" and not "creatures". it also destroys all the mundane weaponry, clothing, or shields that they are wearing or carrying unless they end their revelatory form. This feature will be a massive pain in the ass in its current state imo, which, while thematic, is very unfun.

Last edited by luuma; 2021-07-13 at 06:58 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Daemon

Looking really solid, with a lot of well thought-out features. Notes in the spoiler

Spoiler: venom starring tom hardy
    Show

General:
    - I think that the core class should deal more consistent damage per round. It can only access simple weapons, and gains nothing to act as the equivalent of fighting style/sneak attack/rage damage/martial arts. The Wretched and the Cursed are stuck with a single simple weapon attack per turn (with Cursed relying on a risky Wis save to do more). This is a problem throughout its entire level curve - at 3rd it does like 1d8+3 =7.5 per round maximum (while barb does more like 2d6+3+2 =12), at 7th it does 2d8+8=16 (while barb does 4d6+8+4 =26), and at 14th it does about 3d8+15= 28.5 (while barb does 2d12+10+6+ approx 2.6 from brutal critical =31.6, not factoring in its subclass feature - which usually gives it a full free attack as a reaction)

I think Fearsome Rise could fill this gap if it was replaced with a very consistent feature that almost always gets used - e.g "whenever you take damage, you can use your reaction to make a weapon attack against a creature within 5 feet of you. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of this attack".

- The core class has no limited resources until 9th level, which could make each turn a bit samey, because there's not much decisionmaking involved in each turn. This is also sort of true of Barbarian, in most games, because it rarely runs out of rages in most groups' adventuring days. Not a major issue really.

Features

I like the tankiness provided by these starting features a lot, and the 9th level regen is also neatly designed. I've only picked out the ones I saw issue with - but in general, I really like this class.

Divine Ecstasy is especially nicely designed, and I'm a big fan of it.

Spite Heaven A really nice unique core feature - can be exploited by aarakocra but **** aarakocra. This appeals to me a lot.

Fearsome Rise. This should maybe read "whenever you critically succeed on a death saving throw or succeed on a saving throw against a hostile creature's effect, " - you get rewarded for odd nonsense like pouring ball bearings on the ground and running around in them, or drinking a bunch of booze all the time until you have to save against vomiting, or getting caught in your allies' AoEs. (edit: I realise Hear No Evil is designed to exploit this, but I do still think the current wording is a little bit janky)

Divine Secrets is surely a little too exploitable? For example, War Domain's Avatar of Battle feature gives you permanent resistance to blu/sla/pir, while tempest domain gives you semi-permanent flying speed.

Primordial Gibberish should probably specify hostile creatures, because otherwise it's mostly just going to screw over your party. The party almost always casts more than its opponents in combat - so there are very few times when it's good to use this feature in its current state.

Hear No Evil technically always targets you with Vicious Mockery too. I assume this is an intentional method of proccing Fearsome Rise? Seems alright, but it will feel absolutely dreadful whenever it fails its wis save (with no proficiency) against its own solid DC - and that'll happen frequently. Assuming Fearsome Rise is kept the same, I would like it to say "you automatically succeed on your saving throw against the spell" - then it's pretty solid.

I really like What Was, but Aura of Undoing, in its current form, does too much damage to them. Absolutely needs to say "other creatures that start their turn within 10 feet of you...", or "other hostile creatures" and not "creatures". it also destroys all the mundane weaponry, clothing, or shields that they are wearing or carrying unless they end their revelatory form. This feature will be a massive pain in the ass in its current state imo, which, while thematic, is very unfun.

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Core class:
    Massive derp if I forgot to give them extra attack at 5th. Thanks for the heads up.

DPR- I think I figured Fearsome Rise’s reaction attack whenever you succeed on a save would be consistent enough in conjunction with opportunity attacks that it provided a boost like hunter’s mark/hex. I always felt like I was making and succeeding on a lot of saves as a Barbarian. Maybe I’ll add Proficiency bonus to damage on this and AoO. Weapon Proficiency accounts for fairly little shift in DPR (excluding GWM), and races, feats, and MC can get you martial weapons if you feel you need them. This class gets extra feats akin to a fighter.

Fearsome Rise-I’ll revisit the language so it’s “When you succeed on a saving throw another creature forces you to make...” That should eliminate most cheese problems, but I do want it to remain melee or ranged.

Divine Ecstasy- hardest part was picking a name but I am excited to see how it fairs in play.

The Wretched-
    Divine Secrets was only intended to access the 1st level domain features, so Either nab a Heavy Armor proficiency, some extra skills, or another unique thing like the light domain flash or Trickery Domain blessing for rogue skills. Definitely Needs a rewrite if it reads you can take capstones.

Primordial Gibberish, I don’t want it to discriminate, I’ll look at reducing the range to 10 feet and add “minimum 1d4” for Cantrips that kablooey.

The Cursed
    Hear No Evil, Vicious Mockery is an AoE like Thunderclap, it isn’t intended to target themselves, I’ll revisit the wording there. The weak damage is intended to be offset by the fact you’re potentially countering the advantage you might give several foes with Spite Heaven.

What Was
    Aura of Undoing- I’ll revisit the language, it isn’t intended to damage the PC themself. It is supposed to be indiscriminate, the kind of thing you only use if you’re sure everything in the room must die and you’re confident you’ll have the opportunity to dismiss and recover your form. It should also read “other creatures that enter the aura or start their turn there.”

Thank you again for the help!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Thank you so much for the feedback!

Core class:
    Massive derp if I forgot to give them extra attack at 5th. Thanks for the heads up.

-snip-
    No worries - I factored in extra attack in those damage calcs! However, I definitely assumed that the 3rd level feature wouldn't trigger particularly often, and I think that's probably inaccurate- it's fair to assume it'll trigger usefully at least once every 3 turns. I do think it'd be worth making it very clear and consistent, just in case, but the core class' damage is probably at least:
    3rd) 1d8+3 * 1.33 =10 per round (while core barb does more like 2d6+3+2 =12)
    7th) 2d8+10 * 1.33=25.33 (while core barb does 4d6+8+4 =26)
    14th) 3d8+15= 28.5 (while core barb does 2d12+10+6+ 2.6 brutal critical =31.6)
    I didn't factor in the extra ASI originally - and now that I do, its balance looks very solid. Barbarian does get to gain advantage on all attacks, but the benefit of Spite Heaven should easily make up for that.

If the AoE Vicious Mockery isn't intended to proc the 3rd level feature, I definitely think that it should get some more damage! Perhaps it could let them make a weapon attack of some kind as a bonus action, or could be done as a bonus action a number of times per long rest equal to prof bonus?

I've found that vicious mockery needs a lot of buffs before it stops feeling dreadful - especially when compared with extra attack. It's true that the disadvantage is useful, but statistically it only causes the roll to miss roughly a quarter of the time, so it's extremely rare that a creature will fail the save and also miss. In all other occasions, it feels like you're doing uncertain chip damage for no benefit.
    Last edited by luuma; 2021-07-13 at 09:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Daemon

No worries - I factored in extra attack in those damage calcs! However, I definitely assumed that the 3rd level feature wouldn't trigger particularly often, and I think that's probably inaccurate- it's fair to assume it'll trigger usefully at least once every 3 turns. I do think it'd be worth making it very clear and consistent, just in case, but the core class' damage is probably at least:
    3rd) 1d8+3 * 1.33 =10 per round (while core barb does more like 2d6+3+2 =12)
    7th) 2d8+10 * 1.33=25.33 (while core barb does 4d6+8+4 =26)
    14th) 3d8+15= 28.5 (while core barb does 2d12+10+6+ 2.6 brutal critical =31.6)
    I didn't factor in the extra ASI originally - and now that I do, its balance looks very solid. Barbarian does get to gain advantage on all attacks, but the benefit of Spite Heaven should easily make up for that.

If the AoE Vicious Mockery isn't intended to proc the 3rd level feature, I definitely think that it should get some more damage! Perhaps it could let them make a weapon attack of some kind as a bonus action, or could be done as a bonus action a number of times per long rest equal to prof bonus?

I've found that vicious mockery needs a lot of buffs before it stops feeling dreadful - especially when compared with extra attack. It's true that the disadvantage is useful, but statistically it only causes the roll to miss roughly a quarter of the time, so it's extremely rare that a creature will fail the save and also miss. In all other occasions, it feels like you're doing uncertain chip damage for no benefit.
    Yeah, I’m rethinking VM now as I compare it to just dodging. Bonus action casting seems nice but then it competes with Spite Heaven.

I’m actually going to change Aura of Undoing to a bonus action and 1rd duration. That makes it a choice (stickiness or dmg).
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2021-07-13 at 10:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Hi Guys!
    I inform you that the Demigod (Part 1 and Part 2)has reached the Alpha stage! It certainly needs a lot of changes, and at the moment only 3 out of 5 subclasses have been defined, but if you feel like giving it a look I will take advantage of any advice and opinions!

For ease of reading, I added some notes in BLUE, while in those points where I am undecided between two solutions I have reported both of them in RED.

I'll give you a little introduction to the class:

The class is inspired by the heroes of classical mythology, who often descended from the gods themselves and were, in fact, demigods (And no, it has nothing to do with the ranger subclass I made time ago called Sidekick which was inspired by Iolaus from the old Hercules TV series). I tried to diversify it as far as possible to cover various "divine archetypes" among the most classic (god of war, abundance, wisdom, death and seas).

The basic mechanic of the class is inspired by the Labors of Hercules, and is a bit... strange.

It requires the participation of the DM, who assigns the player a task, evaluates when this task has been completed, and rewards it by choosing from a list of "gifts". It works a bit like a forced loot, rather than a normal feature. I have not added conditions in case the player fails to complete the task, because ideally it cannot do it. If the character does not die, eventually it will be able to prove its worth.

The "gifts" are not real items, but skills that scale according to the level of the character. Each of them is inspired by a mythological object.

Speaking of which, I would greatly appreciate your help in developing the Cornucopia, Pandora's Box and Horn of the Argo!

For the rest, the base class is quite "bland" and generic (I would also listen to any advice to define the level 20th feature!), to leave as much space as possible for subclasses. Personally, I don't really like creating subclasses, but this time I really indulged myself, trying to create a different and characteristic mechanic for each of them.

The Martial is inspired by the God of War, therefore, I tried to create a mechanic that combines what are for me the two main archetypes of a warrior: The Barbarian and the Battlemaster. I like the result very much, but I have to find a way to limit it in case of multiclass.

The Charontian is inspired by the God of Death. It has the Artificer's spell progression, and access to necromancy spells only. It also has a Metamagic-like mechanic that uses Hit Dice.

The Minervan is descended from the God of Knowledge and Magic. So I tried to develop this concept: "unlimited access to all knowledge". Hence the ability to learn any cantrip and spell, to cast any ritual, and to learn temporary the spells that are used against it.

At the time of writing this post the subclasses of the Baccanal and the Thalassian are still to be defined. The former is inspired by the God of Parties and Celebrations, and should brew potions and cast spells to buff allies, and charm or confuse enemies. The latter is inspired by the God of the Seas. It is the last one that I intend to develop, since I do not have very clear ideas about it. Broadly speaking, I would like it to be able to summon sea monsters, in a similar way to the ranger's companion, perhaps choosing them from all the sea beasts to which then apply a sort of "humanoid archetype" similar to that of the 3rd edition of D&D.
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2021-07-24 at 05:27 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Guys, I exceeded the character limit, I have to split the demigod over two posts...