A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: an Immortal and Broken Machine (IC)

- I also wish to help the mortals - admitted Yumi - We, the Sidereals, spent countless centuries working for the good of Man from behind the scenes. If one of us needs to step up and leave the shadows, so be it.
    LGBTitP, Furry 🐾, European 🇪🇺 & Schizophreniac ♿, possibly a Weirdo 😜
    Fursona by Sirodbcollie from Twitter
    My long singature

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

The word 'Sidereal' triggers memories, something about sage advice, sorcerous, power, and betrayal. Jackson didn't understand what this woman and her group represented, not yet at least, but he decided to be cautious around her.
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

3. - Top - End - #33

Spoiler: Info
    Show
    "Mark Ritter"
    (Broken Thorn)

| Damage 0 |
    | Dodge +0 |
    | Parry +0 |
    | Fortitude +10 |
    | Toughness +10 |
    | Will +10 |
    | Awareness +10 |

Void: 180
    Wind: 76
    Water: 20
    Earth: 60
    Fire: 12

Senses 34 [Analytical 4 (Hearing 2, Vision 2), Awareness 2 (Essence, Programs), Counters Concealment 5, Counters Illusion 2, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Radio, Rapid 8 (Hearing 4, Vision 4), Time Sense, Tracking 2, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision), Unreliable (Perception), Innate Quirk]
    "Alright, if no one would like to step forward aside from the starchild. Does anyone here have any particular experience with the neverborn? Or their children? The cainites can attest to the threat they pose. There are certain... I had a presentation for this, I have been made aware of awakenings of things best left dreaming. Beyond that there are all manners of events; the louisiana uprising for one. How about you, starchild? I'm sure you're aware of the happenings of the world. What have you all seen in your lives that needs adjudicating?"

4. - Top - End - #34

- Well - Yumi begun - Neverborn are outside of the scope of things that the Loom of Fate - to which we have direct access as servants of the Maidens - can predict, so, alongside with the Yozis, it was always tricky for us to respond to and control them. Plus many of our powers are related to the Loom, so responding was always hard, as we could not use all our Charms. If need be, I can access our reports and search for clues and other information in them, as we have spies even in the realms ourside of Creation. But... - she stopped for a moment - I do not think that this is something at which we are particularly good. I hope other people gathered here - she looked at her companions - could fill the gaps in our knowledge and abilities.
    My long singature

5. - Top - End - #35

The drifter cleared his throat. "I don't know much about the neverborn, I don't really know much about any of y'all either but..." He paused, making a vague gesture with the hand that wasn't desperatly clinging to his drink. "But whatever happened in this time... is happening now, I mean... it leads to a lot of bad futures where we're not really... around anymore."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Jackson has brief flashes of memory at the mention of Neverborn and Yozi, but they're filled with anger and betrayal. He doesn't know what they are, but his other self seemed fully aware of them, and hated them. But he does see one thing clearly, a horde of horrors that defy imagination. An endless flesh-scouring desert, a sea of acid, a galaxy of crystal and fire, a brass city of rage, and behind it all, a coiled darkness, pulling strings. And against them was a single being of light, something they had created, but were terrified of. "Ever since...whatever this is, happened to me, I've met a lot of what I would used to call monsters, but they haven't been in the habit of giving me their names."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

With a subvocalized query through his ADEI, Aaron called up the few Technocracy briefs regarding "Hypothesized Primary Entropic Agents," beings understood by the supernaturalists as the Neverborn. The files were short and mostly speculative, with some fragments of mage writings on the subject. With a slight frown, his eyes almost-flicking about with a far-off gaze, he reviewed some Void Engineer accounts of actual combat encounters with the powerful entropic EDE's.

"Unfortunately, we have little understanding of extradimensional entities that have not directly touched our reality within the past six hundred years. Are you suggesting that these Neverborn are connected to the detonations, or warning that these detonations are waking previously inactive threats?"
    Last edited by Kail_Traeganni; 2021-09-07 at 08:55 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

”I do not recall them off the top of my head. I believe they fell out of my purview as a whole.” Samael says simply. She wracks her brain for any information, but her Lord evidently saw no need to impart such information to her. “As of late, I have seen a small spike in immortality seekers. A professor in Boston briefly got his hands on an artifact that granted him the powers of the legendary Greek healer Asclepius. He had revived two students of his who were mortally wounded in a shuttle accident, and sought to replicate the artifact. Elsewhere a human sought to escape death via occult ritual and blood sacrifice, before their ritual was interrupted. A tech startup is currently operating in Silicon Valley that is researching nanomachines in the blood that repair all cellular damage, and will have to be crushed if this pipe dream ever appears close to bearing fruit. Then there are the mortal non-humans, but most of them are long lived enough that they understand and accept their place.

“I don’t recall anything that feels instantly relevant to the terrorist activities you mentioned, with the possible exception being that startup, if they wind up having interesting connections. I am concerned though that this may indicate some shifting interest in the global zeitgeist, and whether that indirectly or directly ties with the crumbling of the Masquerade. A symptom, but not the disease, if you will.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Jackson regards Mr. Aanenson. "So you are a man of science, and see everything that's happening through that paradigm, even if something seems like magic. Interesting, maybe there's hope for the world yet."

10. - Top - End - #40

Show
    "Mark Ritter"
    (Broken Thorn)

| Damage 0 |
    | Dodge +0 |
    | Parry +0 |
    | Fortitude +10 |
    | Toughness +10 |
    | Will +10 |
    | Awareness +10 |

Senses 34 [Analytical 4 (Hearing 2, Vision 2), Awareness 2 (Essence, Programs), Counters Concealment 5, Counters Illusion 2, Direction Sense, Distance Sense, Infravision, Microscopic Vision 4, Radio, Rapid 8 (Hearing 4, Vision 4), Time Sense, Tracking 2, Ultra-Hearing, Ultravision), Unreliable (Perception), Innate Quirk]
    "The detonations are related, though not for the reason I bring forth. There are three main issues at play that I wish to reach consensus and a solution to. The most obvious problem is that humanity is collectively preparing for war, against itself. The detonations, nuclear or otherwise, would render gaia uninhabitable for the most of us and may not recover at all. I would put forth a solution but this ties into our second problem."

"Our second issue is the fall of the masquerade, I am sure you have seen the events of late in the public eye. This is going to grow worse, whether or not we prevent nuclear war, we are going to be turned on if we cannot gain control of our own communities. It won't simply be the governments, imagine the time you were humans. I assume we all were once, or felt their weakness. We will be hunted and burned out of our homes to restore order."

"The third issue is our own... baggage? Such as the Neverborn, I lack experience of them though I have been warned. Any outcome we wish to pursue will be held back by them, even if they don't become involved directly. Though their children are. I have a map, and a presentation for this. Simply, there are events unfolding across the united states, and beyond it in world. Even if we stop the world from being burned, and society turning on us if the masquerades fall, we'll still be living with our own demons."

"The Neverborn wish to end the world forever and start again, as the Yozis wish to escape and remake us. The Antideluvians born of the ancient blood wish to wake, as the Wyrm wishes to unravel the world. As hope itself flees us, and the dead suffer. There are myriad sicknesses upon us. What I need is insight on the threats that face us, so I summoned representatives of every kind I could find. Even if we stop one or two, we have dozens of situations capable of ruining the world."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

"Then it seems our course is clear. Slow down the march to war, by whatever means we possess, and also deal with rogue elements in the nonhuman community, by keeping them in line or eliminating those who refuse to cannot curb their hungers. We can either take on one at a time and bring all our might to bear, or we can divide our forces and deal with them all at once."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Samael shrugs. ”If they cannot coexist with others then they can coexist with dirt.” The angle thinks for a moment. “Humans only threaten nuclear weapons and the like when they either think they will survive, are bluffing, or believe it to be part of some greater cause than their self. They’re selfish but basically rational. If different factions are saber rattling, it might be best to see what their contingency plans are when the radiation spreads, and move from there. Bunkers can be destroyed, zealots can be purged, and the bluffs can be called.”

Show

13. - Top - End - #43

- Because we have a lot of problems, we also need a lot of approaches - concluded the Sidereal - We could influence the mortal population to not use the nuclear weaponry, maybe even try to make an everlasting peace. It would be hard in itself, but not impossible. We just need globally politicians with a vision... a vision we could shape, if need be - she admitted - As to the Masquerade, it is not my specialty, we, the Chosen of Maidens, are cut from the mortals on a very basic, spiritual way. No matter what will happen, we are safe. Thus, I cannot offer much input in that matter. Sorry.

- As to other, supernatural dangers, we could try to overcome them with bare strength. There are 300 Chosen of the Moon, around 150 of Sun, Sidereals... and this only when we talk about the Exalted. There are also Vampires, Mages, Werewolfs and other powerful beings, we could align ourselves with them, at least with some of them. Together, we could stand against any foe that might wanna strike us. Making an all-encompassing alliance against our enemies seems like a good point of start, don't you think?- she asked her companions, looking at every single one of them.
    My long singature

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Samael shakes her head. ”Every politician with a vision is just a target for every power seeker with a goal. As the idea of people choosing their own leader every couple of years becomes more widespread, the promises and plans they make match that cycle. They used to work for a century on building a single church. Now they broker deals that only last as long as the same person is in office. You can’t fix things by just having a good leader in charge for a while. The only everlasting peace is a desert.”

Show

15. - Top - End - #45

- I would not like to argue, but at the same time I cannot agree - admitted Yumi, not without a kind tone in her voice - Either way, in this case it's more about the ever-lasting nature of the... behind the curtain actors. Politicians can change, but as long as it is we who control them from the shadows, the... circural nature of their leadership should not be a problem.
    My long singature

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

”I’m sure I could find individuals to contribute to such an endeavor.”

Show

17. - Top - End - #47

Show
    "Mark Ritter"
    (Broken Thorn)

| Damage 0 |
    | Dodge +0 |
    | Parry +0 |
    | Fortitude +10 |
    | Toughness +10 |
    | Will +10 |
    | Awareness +10 |

"I've seen the desert of everlasting peace, it wasn't worth its price. There are certainly better ways than rebuilding from a wasteland if we even wanted to get there."

"I agree that a change, of leadership, would be necessary or atleast the development of new strings. Things are becoming more chaotic with each year, there are limits to my tolerance. All it would take is a spark and poof."

"I have strings I can pull if we can gain control of the political situation, and those rising from the masquerade. Industrial sectors could be born overnight."

"The situation with the Arctic will only grow unfortunately while that is dealt with."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

When their host mentioned a desert, the phrase 'three days' passes though Jackson's mind, but with no context. "Then I will go to the Arctic and do what I can to solve the problem."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Inclining his head toward Jackson, Aaron smiled softly. "Some would call 'magic' shorthand for insufficiently understood phenomena."

Turning back to the host, he continued. "I expect most at the table have their own private levers for the mortal governments, and something as clear as 'don't launch' should be simple enough to maintain, though there may be unintended consequences if we all start pulling strings at once.

Regarding panic, and baggage... we'll surely lose if we run about fighting the fires which have already started. I have a proposal. Our organization, especially those formerly of the Syndicate, are especially skilled in the work of resource-deprivation and isolation. Many problematic groups and individuals active now would meet violence with escalation, and will grow into violence if left unchecked. However, the carrots and sticks of the mundane world- prosecutions, liens, suits, fines, and profitable distractions- can pick apart their members, consuming totally the attention and time of any still connected with mundane society.

If any should wish to tell of the sparks who they'd like to see distracted rather than snuffed out, we would be at your service in such matters, and my associate can work with you to establish contact protocols and dead drop locations. In the meantime, we need to hunt one layer deeper. I've come to suspect the work of Virtual Adept cells in certain hacked broadcasts showing the supernatural. The methodology fits their paradigm, and many among them share a dangerously silly ideology about free access to information. We are working to identify these, but have almost no internal links with the VAs. If any here could help us in gaining inside sources, we might be able to isolate some of the firestarters."
    Last edited by Kail_Traeganni; 2021-09-21 at 12:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"The most prevalent and directly harmful faction I know of are the vampires, I have not met any of their so-called godlike elders, or if I have they fell far short of the mark, but if even half the boasts I've heard have some truth to them, there is a whole cadre of apocalyptic beings waiting in the wings for their chance to strike."

21. - Top - End - #51

- I am also worried about the vampires - admitted Yumi - But the stronger they are, the fever of them exist. Plus, we got a lot of powerful Solar Ealted to deal with them, if need be. What I am worried about is the sheer number of the less powerful of them. And their political influence on the world of mortals. Maybe we should focus on them from that perspective? - she asked, keen to know the point of view of her companions.
    My long singature

22. - Top - End - #52

Show
    "Mark Ritter"
    (Broken Thorn)

| Damage 0 |
    | Dodge +0 |
    | Parry +0 |
    | Fortitude +10 |
    | Toughness +10 |
    | Will +10 |
    | Awareness +10 |

"That is part of the arctic situation, there is an elder(?) and its servitors that are showing signs of awakening... but, we likely have more chance of controlling the situation if we deal with the mortals first."

"As I mentioned I have strings I can pull, though it appears, the... technologically adept fellow has a better view of the situation. I can provide certain contacts that may be able to help with this. My industry has eyes across the country and beyond, if it involves magic I should be able to get the right words in the rights ears, if it would help."

"Though I have spoken with the kindred in the room of their kind, do any of you have insights into the vampiric condition, I would be fascinated to learn why the rogues take the actions they have as of late, or why they would seek to awaken their elders."

23. - Top - End - #53

- This is something, I am afraid, is beyond my jurisdiction. However, there is a chance that the Chosen of Saturn could know something more. I can pull some strings in the Celestial Bureaucracy and see how it works. Maybe even bring some Sidereals with the right skills and knowledge - said Yumi - What's good is that they are a part of the Creation and as such, they are covered by the Loom.
    My long singature

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

"From the boasts, threats, and pleadings I have heard from vampires, they believe their ancient forefathers are going to wake soon and consume the world, and the most openly brutal of them seem to be preparing to fight these elders, while others deny their existence."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Samael remains silent. She'd slain vampires, but she had no great insight into them as a people.

Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Between sips of his much too small drink, the drifter looked around the room. He still hadn't gotten over the impression of being so very far out of his depth and a conversation that was about half incomprehensible and half terrifying didn't really help.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Aaron gently arched an eyebrow. "Many elder hemophages are calculating, order-seeking, and cautious. Hence, their invitations here." He inclined his martini (shaken of course, never stirred) toward the various camarilla leaders across the great table.

"For my part, my bias is to view the Arctic matter as a factional issue, separate from physiology. Those who seek to disrupt the world order are either those who can benefit from disruption, or zealots of some form. Those who can succeed in locating and waking hidden powers are very lucky- or highly resourced and knowledgeable. This could be no more than a lucky group of opportunists. But this could well be a highly resourced conspiracy of zealots, and the Arctic may be one visible 'success' among many disruptive efforts. Verifying what we're dealing with prior to Arctic intervention should magnify our impact- a conspiracy should be studied and then attacked around the world simultaneously, a mere splinter group simply surrounded and neutralized.

Do we have any intelligence on the group's members, whether unafilliated Anarchs or recent departures from various camarillas? Any commonalities of clan or region? Are we dealing with Sabbat diablerists?"
    Last edited by Kail_Traeganni; 2021-09-30 at 02:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

The host spoke. "I do not know, though they are zealots."

Mark spoke. "According to the Cainites I've spoken to- their plan is to wake their progenitors, at any cost, and die. I'm not the most familiar with their kind or scripture, but according to their apocryphal religion waking them will result in their end, and they want that. There isn't a lot of negotiation there, and killing them is only an incentive to move faster. Though we may need that. As they are right now they're needle searching for a vein, or a scalpel carefully cutting away. If we could make them act as a hammer perhaps we could see the hand guiding them."

The host spoke. "I'm not sure that's a good idea from what I've been told of the Arctic situation. If even one of them awaken we'll be dealing with things beyond our ken.1"

Mark spoke. "Beyond your ken, though not all of us. There are beings here that as you saw were necessary to stopping this, and they are here. If not all of us."

One of the vampires spoke up, "Do we have a plan?"

The host spoke. "Not exactly, though I do have a presentation on what I knew of as the most pressing situation. There may be others though I am unaware of, which is why I asked."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

"Then it seems our best option might be to gather as much information as possible, as quickly as possible. We find the greatest repository of knowledge about vampire history, and take it for ourselves. Though..." He looks at the drifter. "For some of us, time is not as daunting a barrier. If we can directly observe events at the right places and times, we can learn where these ancient elders are now, and deal with them directly."

30. - Top - End - #60

Yumi sipped her champagne, listening to everybody in silence. Still, one thing was bothering her - Maybe I am not an expert on vampires - she started - but why do they want to die? Especially in such a... big movement? Sorry, I feel like I am missing a few details here - the Sidereal explained.
    My long singature