A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 271 to 289 of 289

Thread: CotCT 5e IC

  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Leaving the rest of the group to watch and wait, Scipio and Aubin advance on the shop, their runty cow in tow. Those queueing up look to object at you skipping the line for a moment, but once they spot your beast of burden and note that you don't seem to be there for the same reason as the rest of them, they let you pass without issue - if anything they seem to encourage you. The front of the butcher's is a small enough room dominated by a long counter that runs down the centre of the room, splitting it in two. It's accompanied by a marble-topped display that at one point may have been used to advertise through the wide, grimy window but now sits bare. Instead any and all meat lines the central countertop.

    Behind the counter are two men who certainly look the part of butchers - old bloodstained aprons and muscled arms, though both Scipio and Aubin note that the muscles seem more for war than butcher's work. The tallest 'butcher', who maybe has a bit of giantsblood in his veins from his towering stature at over six and a half feet, looks down at the pair as you enter, cow in tow, but says nothing. His powerful unibrow, perhaps bushier than normal on account of the weather, dominates his creased forehead as he regards you with skepticism. His partner is less intimidating, with a rounded face and a persistent wheeze to his breath, but he nevertheless has the air of someone who's been in more than a few fights, though perhaps not at the forefront of them. "Looking to make a donation?" The shorter man wheezes, a quiet pause every two words as he breathes heavily. It's only the five of you (cow included) in the room. "The citizens will appreciate it. Anything more we can hand out will go a long way."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Loric the Tanner

    Human Monk/Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 18/18
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    Standing outside among the commoners, Loric approaches the back of the line and hesitantly taps the person in front of him on the shoulder. "What... is this?" he asks, without much confidence. Then again, the hesitance and the smell that hangs around him may mark him as just as desperate as these people.

    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    (1d20-1)[19] Persuasion if needed.


  3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    The woman clutching an empty basket - though covered slightly to avoid snow getting inside - turns to Loric. Her face and hair are washed, but the latter isn't combed, and her clothes are dirty. An all too typical sight among the working poor of Northgate. "You ain't 'eard? Free meat is what this is. Them boys left the guard and now they're giving back to the people." She takes a moment to spit to one side, face twisting with momentary disgust. "More than tha' so-called 'Queen' will do. Can' trust 'em, but these boys doing what they can. Lotta folks need that right now." The woman pauses, looking Loric up and down, before leaning in closer and lowering her voice. "They're callin' 'emselves the Cow Hammer Boys. Word is if you need some extra muscle you can ask for 'the night's special cuts'. S'how they're gonna pay for the meat. No profi', just givin' back to the people." The woman seems quite earnest in her words, even as the line seems held up by the party's pair (plus cow) inside. To her it's worth the wait: it means more meat for the people.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Aubin D'Ambrosio, Hellknight deserter
    AC: 15 | HIT POINTS: 20 | CURRENT 20 | HIT DIE: 2d10 | CURRENT: 2d10
    INITIATIVE: +4 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 11 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 13
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.


    Aubin looked at the large man, his stance, his scowl, "To be honest, not lookin' to donate nuthin', hopin' to sell Bessie here, she was a right good cow, an' always been good to me and mine." He looked wistfully outside, "But given the fires and the violence, I'm hopin' I can get some gold fer her, and coupled with the coin I managed to save, get my family out of Korvosa before the Queen brings it all crashing down around our ears, ya?" He tried to judge their intentions, hoping they'd by his hard luck story, perhaps even try to bleed his purse, intimating that they may know a way out of town, or be able to connect him to someone who did, maybe even Vancaskerkin himself.

    Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: Hoping they'll buy the story, Deception check, if required. (1d20+4)[5], and an Insight check to get the general feel for the room, (1d20+3)[20].

  5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Loric the Tanner

    Human Monk/Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 18/18
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    "Cow Hammer Boys?" Loric asks quietly, raising one eyebrow. This is not the most intimidating name he's heard, to be certain. "I do not entirely understand. Why would we require muscle?"

  6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    The woman balks at Loric's question. "Everyone needs a bit of muscle these days don't they? Streets ain' safe, tempers flarin', grudges comin' to the surface. Not like guards are gonna keep the peace. Too busy servin' at the Queen's feet, righ'? So we gotta find people who will." She thumbs at the butcher's building. "Costs a lot mind you, but at leas' we know they're goin' ta put the coin to a good cause and nah just spend it on feasts."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2020

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Scipio Arquetius - HP: 17/17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None - Harrow Points: 1

    ---------------

    Scipio gives the former guards a long, inquisitive look - never saw them, so there's a good chance they don't know him either. He doesn't talk, out of fear that he wouldn't be able to hide the contempt he feels for these deserters and looks around to better understand what kind of operation they're running, what kind of weaponry they're showing, if they seems relaxed or on their toes - simply put, he tries to remember how to do the job he lost because of Lamm and that somehow, in a truly curious way, he finds himself doing it again.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to roll Investigation and Insight, to collect as many information as possible.
    Investigation: (1d20+7)[22]
    Insight: (1d20+3)[10]
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

  8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    The glance the two 'butchers' share at Aubin's words isn't hard to miss, and you could swear the temperature drops another degree or two as the mood sours. The larger man's unibrow creases harder as he glares down at Aubin, but says nothing. Scipio notes that there's no coinchest or any other currency on display, nor any signs of prices - the meat really does appear to be given away for free, and the cuts, while not particularly artisanal, are nevertheless competent and show that at least one person among the deserters has some training in butchering and preparing animal meat.

    While they were comfortable before, the pair are now clearly on edge. The taller of the two had his arms crossed before, but now leans forward towards the counter where a large, sharp butcher's cleaver is stuck into the wood. His thick scarred palm is beside it, but he's not yet grasped hold. Neither are visibly wearing armour, but there's a slight tinkle of chainlinks with every wheezing breath from the shorter man, who speaks up again.

    "Think we're dumb do you? That ain't a good cow, and you ain't someone in the business of raisin' cows. I reckon," he looks to his companion who nods grimly in affirmation, "you stole it, can't flog it at market 'cos it's nicked, and now you're tryin' to put it on us. Well we ain't interested. Running a legitimate charity here. Clear off." Aubin notes the small smirk that passes the man's lips as he says this, smug, and not particularly well hidden, but it's gone just as quickly, and the thinly veiled threat behind the words and motions isn't hidden, but rather on aggressively full display. The intimation is clear: That they're willing to go to violence, and that they have no trust that you're who you say you are.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Aubin D'Ambrosio, Hellknight deserter
    AC: 15 | HIT POINTS: 20 | CURRENT 20 | HIT DIE: 2d10 | CURRENT: 2d10
    INITIATIVE: +4 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 11 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 13
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.


    His eyebrows narrowed as the massive butchers attempted to intimidate him, he shrugged, looking to Scipio. He didn't want to instigate a conflict at this point, given the work they were doing, the food they were distributing to the common folk, they would likely rise in their defense. "'n what if it is mate? A nicked cow can be slaughtered fer your charity as like as a plump heffer, meat is meat, ya? 'sides, even if it is stolen, ain't none ta tell but you 'n me, 'n there ain't a member of the guard," this last word he said with venom, watching their reactions closely, "within 1000 yards, eh?"

  10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    "Aye, no guards here." The wheezing deserter nods, though no less threatening than before. "S'why we're not acceptin' any stolen goods. Don't want anything that might bring 'em down on our business, 'specially those who come in tellin' lies. Don' know you, don' trust you." For a moment it looks like he's going to spit to the side, perhaps used to the motion, but he holds back. "Queen'll take any excuse to crack down, and we're not lookin' to add to her list. Now clear off, plenty of hungry mouths need feedin', and we're done talkin'. Take your runt with you." Wheezer moves to place both his hands behind his back. For what purpose you could only guess - perhaps to make himself look more intimidating, or perhaps to grasp at a concealed weapon. Unibrow's hand doesn't move from adjacent to the cleaver but the tensing of his muscles in anticipation is visible, the blue veins bursting with energy against his taut skin.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2020

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Scipio Arquetius - HP: 17/17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None - Harrow Points: 1

    ---------------

    Scipio mostly watches, leaving the talking to Aubin. He studies how these people moves, how they talk, how they act and what they hide. When seems quite clear the deserters do not want them here, he pats Aubin on the shoulders and nods towards the exit; he says, just barely more than a whispers "Not now." before moving away, hands in sight as not give them any excuse to attack.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

  12. - Top - End - #282
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Loric the Tanner

    Human Monk/Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 18/18
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    "Ah- yes," Loric nods, understanding now. The former guards are working as enforcers for the commoners, for pay, while using the spoils of their violence to feed the poor. An unconventional arrangement. "I am something of a muscle myself," he says, by way of explaining his lack of need, patting his arm. Lean muscle.

    With one last nod to the woman, Loric steps away from the waiting line to find the others nearby. Once Aubin and Scipio return, so as to avoid repeating himself, he explains. "They provide free food to the needy. To fund this they work as hired muscle for those who can afford it."
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2021-10-17 at 08:19 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Amnestic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Castle Sparrowcellar
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    The deserters let Aubin and Scipio go without any further provocation or intimidation (whether or not it worked in the first place). They don't even demand your cow for their time spent, perhaps truthfully not wanting to cause any trouble. Instead, the line starts moving once more, the steady flow of people entering one at a time and leaving with a package of meat, and you're left to your devices once more to plan a method of attack, assuming you don't wish to spend your time at Eel's End, of course.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    RHoD IC | OOC
    CotCT IC | OOC

    Playing:
    ToNG IC | OOC
    MoMiWoM IC | OOC
    OotA IC | OOC

  14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Creissus "Crease" Walrun Ornetto IV

    Human Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 17/17
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:
    Bardic Inspiration- 1d6 3/3
    2 / 2 d8 HD

    Crease snorts at Loric's explanation. Very altruistic for deserters. So what are are next steps? This mob of bargain seekers could... complicate things... if it comes to blows. Crease looked over the regular folk lined up for a free meal with a tinge of fear in his eyes. He had no desire to be in the center of a riot.
    The Bear is Back.

  15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2017

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Aubin D'Ambrosio, Hellknight deserter
    AC: 15 | HIT POINTS: 20 | CURRENT 20 | HIT DIE: 2d10 | CURRENT: 2d10
    INITIATIVE: +4 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 11 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 13
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.


    Aubin made pretense of being suitably cowed as he left, thankful for Scipio's hand on his shoulder, if only for confirmation that the old guard did not wish to force a confrontation with the three deserters. At least not yet, as the pair made their way through the throng, he stopped short when he saw their companions, looking to Scipio he lifted his head. "Where the hell are they getting the meat?" He paused scratching his chin, his hand resting on old Bessie's flank, "They weren't willing to risk the guards coming down on their operation due to the purchase of a stolen heffer, and I didn't see any other's in line that weren't looking for a hand out. You see the glow coming out of that one lad's arms? They aren't butchers, and unlikely to have deals with slaughteryards."

    Seeing his companions, he asked, "Did any of you witness livestock coming to the shop, front door or back, while we were inside?"

  16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2020

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

    Scipio Arquetius - HP: 17/17 - Conditions: None - Active Effects: None - Harrow Points: 1

    ---------------

    Scipio scratches his head, now quite uncomfortable; even though he's usually sullen, now he's much more so and looks back at the shop with incredulity. After a couple of moments he repeats Loric's words "Hired muscle, eh?" before giving the shop another long and pensive look; the former watchman seems to have made up his mind when he speaks to the others, his voice and expression do not hide how repulsed he is by the thoughts he's sharing "Remember the other night? When I said I didn't care what you would do to Lamm's body, as long as the body could not be found?" a brief pause, he starts brushing his own shoulder like he feels dirty by just saying these words "Well, maybe they're doing the same thing. They're making sure the bodies could not be found. I mean, they're deserters and suddenly they care that much about a stolen cow?"

    Scipio shakes vigorously his head, then sighs and lowers his voice "I agree with the peacock, making a move now would make things quite difficult for us. You say they're hired muscle, so I say we should take advantage of that." he nods to Crease "Maybe the peacock could go in, escorted by someone else - and hire them. We hire them, we bring them where we want and then we subdue them. We lure them where we have the advantage and even if we don't manage to catch them all at once, they're going to be weakened so it would be easier for us to get inside the butcher's shop and see what kind of meat they're selling."
    Last edited by Bunny Commando; 2021-10-19 at 11:51 AM.
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

  17. - Top - End - #287
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Loric the Tanner

    Human Monk/Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 18/18
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    Curling his mouth in a frown of disgust, Loric looks towards the butcher shop. Chopping up bodies to get rid of them? If it were Loric trying to get rid of someone, he would simply leave them to the wolves. Shaking his head, he expresses some skepticism, "It seems early still for cannibalism." The city's crisis had only just begun. Food could not be in such short supply already, nor bellies desperate enough. "I have not seen enough yet, to call these men monsters. Gangsters at worst. Well-meaning vigilantes at best - not so different from us." he adds the last words more quietly.

    Still, whatever the truth of this place, the other man's plan is a good one. "It is a sound stratagem. Lure the enemy into advantageous terrain," Loric nods in agreement, and approval. "Do you have a location in mind?"

  18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    purepolarpanzer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Frozen Northlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Creissus "Crease" Walrun Ornetto IV

    Human Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 17/17
    PP: 11 PIv: 12 PIs: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:
    Bardic Inspiration- 1d6 3/3
    2 / 2 d8 HD

    Crease considers the name "peacock" for a few moments before smiling. A noble creature, with artistic flair and sumptuous coloration. It was acceptable. "I say we invite them for some work up on the Shingles. Get half of them up top, half of them down below, and pinch them in the middle. Cudgels, koshes, and black jacks instead of blades to earn ourselves a bonus."
    The Bear is Back.

  19. - Top - End - #289
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: CotCT 5e IC


    Loric the Tanner

    Human Monk/Ranger
    AC: 16 HP: 18/18
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --

    "Ask for the 'night's special cuts'," Loric states when Crease agrees to the plan. He looks down at his staff when non-lethal weapons are mentioned and doesn't comment further, standing in his usual passive 'only using good posture out of habit or I would be slouching' stance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •