Default Re: CotCT 5e IC

Shadi, Who Was Skoan-Quah
    Human Stone Sorcerer
    HP: 6/10, AC: 16
    PP: 14, PI: 14
    Active Effects: Stone's Durability
    Conditions: None
    Concentrating: —
    Shadi does not speak or even react to being soaked with the blood of the now-bifurcated gnome. A rock does not speak, so why would she? Beneath the mask of claiven earth, dark eyes survey the room as hands flick the worst of the gore from the monstrous blade but not her chest or neck. The incoming acid rain does little to deter the woman either, as the payload emulsifies with the existing viscera in foam-thick streams down her stone hide. What sloughs off is nothing more than mottled pitch, leaving behind coal-black stippling.

She can take it.

Her gaze snaps towards the source of the attack. The blonde man seems to be giving the orders, so he will be the next to die. Barely paying any attention to the dandy prancing around her, the great Shoanti bends at the knees and pushes off the ground in a splintering ascent. She leaps clear of the stair rail, hanging weightless in the air for a moment before the trajectory of her jump brings her crashing down on the far side of the pool of water at the base of the room. As she comes down, Shadi takes a knee to cushion the landing and puts out her off-hand to crunch into the base of the floor with a great thud.

Her head slowly rises to find the giggling orc in front of her. Clenching her sword once more, she begins to stride inexorably up the far stairs.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Shadi is going to perform her great leap to clear the pool in the room and do a big three point landing, then move up to be adjacent to the giggling orc on the stairs with her action (taking a double move).
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-08-24 at 11:05 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Creissus "Crease" Walrun Ornetto IV

Human Bard
    AC: 14 HP: 5/10
    PP: 10 PIv: 11 PIs: 12
    Conditions: --
    Concentrating on:
    Bardic Inspiration- 1d6 1/3

When the arrow flew towards his face, Creissus threw up his hands to protect his money maker. When the arrow drew a line of blood across the top of his wrist and cleanly cut through his fine clothes, he took a moment to grip the wound and hiss under his breath in pain, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. Then he looked up at the giggling orc with the rage of a petulant child played across his features. You piece of filth... this shirt is worth more than your life! Spotting Loric behind the offender, Crease played a few beats on his drum and shouted Oh Loric! Do me the greatest of favors and punch his laughing teeth down his idiotic throat, will you? That done, Creissus resumes chanting and whispering under his breath, but the words quickly rise to an authoritative shout. Flee, knaves! Flee before us like shadows before the eminence of the rising sun! The Charge of King Mendos, page sixty four, line seventeen! Another invisible wave of magic moved across the room, splitting to wash over the acid throwing posh man and the cursed longbow wielding orc again. Then Crease turned tail and moves back into the previous room, out of range of further reprisal.

Show
    Bonus action to Bardic Inspiration Loric. Have a free d6 on me. Action to cast Dissonant Whispers, again with twin spell, spending my last sorcery point. Pompous save- (1d20)[5] and Giggler save (1d20)[12]. Success vs. DC 13 means they halve this damage- (3d6)[17] and don't have to run away. If Giggler runs, Loric should get an AoO. Lastly, Crease moves back into the previous room to form the rear guard. Sure... rear guard... that's what it is. Not cowardice.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-07-29 at 04:20 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Aubin D'Ambrosio, Hellknight deserter
    AC: 15 | HIT POINTS: 12 | CURRENT 11 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
    INITIATIVE: +4 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 11 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 13
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.

His hands still shaking, he stepped aside allowing the diminutive Factor to do his work, admiring the practiced manner in which he arranged the child, so as to preserve their life. Noting the wave, he moved with the Factor's companion, Scipio, to the south the room with the form of the slain mastiff, it's great tongue lolling out of it's mouth. Another casualty of Lamm's cruelty, no doubt, starved and beaten into a vicious, near feral creature. Everything, he thought to himself, that that man touches. They entered a short corridor, Scipio opened the door with a swift hand, and seemed startled by the presence of a blond haired compatriot of Lamm's, a quick thrust of his spear that did little to dissuade the man from attacking them, Aubin stepped forward.

His hand did not shake, sparing a life was something he was unaccustomed to, the taking of, however ..., "DOWN!" He yelled as he put a hand on Scipio's shoulder and pushed him towards the wall. A deafening roar as smoke powder and lead filled the short hallway.

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: I am fine spending a Harrow Point to ensure this hits, so the 1st roll will be my Attack, if it hits, I'll keep the Harrow Point, if it misses however, I will spend the Harrow Point to eliminate the blond haired man at the landing. Move to follow Scipio, I will, however, be forced to fire through his square, granting my target some cover. Attack check with Pistol, (1d20+8)[17], if unsuccessful, Harrow Point re-roll, (1d20+8)[13]. If Attack the 1st, or 2nd is successful, it will deal (1d10+4)[7], piercing damage, with another (1d10)[4], if I happen to score a crit.

If a 17 misses, due to cover, I will re-roll, but obviously miss entirely.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-07-30 at 05:15 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Pogdan and Shadi both cross the main workfloor in dramatic strides - Shadi with force of feet, Pogdan with mystical movement. Unfortunately Pogdan's words don't seem to reach the children, who remain frozen in place for now, eyes still wide with panic and confusion at the scene that's unfolding around them - blood and carnage from strangers, and no clear exit. Forward they would have to push through Creissus, back they'd have to go through Giggles - and now Shadi too. Instead they remain where they are, clutching their pitchforks close but unmoving.

When Creissus incants his spell for the second time, Giggles manages to overcome it this time, his pained laughter reaching raucously loud, overwhelming the whispers in his mind. The snidely blonde is less lucky, and even as he evades Scipio's booming weapon, he turns to flee, doing so right into the sight of Aubin. The bullet speeds past Scipio's right ear and into your enemy's neck, before exiting the other side in a shower of scarlet life. What fleeing he was intent on ends immediately as he collapses to the ground. He splutters once, twice, before falling still as the blood begins to pool around him and seep through the boardwalk to the ground floor below, his deadened eyes staring up at the ceiling in shock.

Only one enemy remains that you can see, but even with his laughing off Creissus' spell he doesn't go unharmed. Loric smashes through the boarded window with his staff to create an opening and successfully grabs hold of the man's head to ram it into the wall. Dazed, confused, but not dead, the laughter continues unabated. Maddened, growing ever louder. He ignores Shadi - perhaps to his future detriment, and instead tugs a potion from a pocket and downs it on one gulp. With uproaring laughter his meaty fist closes around his flail's grip once more and he swings it wide and round to retaliate against Loric, only to find it lodging in the wall once more. He swung too wide, too hard, too fast, and in the process missed his mark entirely.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Between Creissus and Aubin, Yargin the blonde who didn't end up getting named by anyone dies.
    Giggles is still standing, having made his save against the dissonant whispers. He takes Loric's hit, quaffs a healing potion and then completely misses Loric with his flail, after discarding the longbow.

Unless you all roll colossally badly (possible!) next turn I think you've got this one in the bag.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

HP: 10/10 Concentration: No Active Conditions: No

I can't do it, he had thought. I can't take a man's life, but I will help those who will.

That was before he was here; like living in a flashback to his past. Hearing them threaten the children.

He fires a lance of radiant energy at the giggling half orc, his mind black with anger.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    25 to hit and a whole 3 damage. He's glowing, though.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-07-30 at 10:52 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Loric the Tanner

Human Monk
    AC: 16 HP: 10/10
    PP: 13 PIv: 10 PIs: 13

Flinching to the side as the madman swings his flail, Loric finds the movement ultimately unnecessary as it strikes the wood of the wall instead. Adjusting his stance back into striking position, he reaches in to wrap his staff around the man's neck and drag him down into the splintered glass and boards of the broken window.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Just some flavor for another pair of attacks.
    (1d20+5)[10] to hit with staff
    (1d20+5)[9] Guiding Bolt Adv
    +(1d4)[4] Bless
    (1d8+3)[7] damage

(1d20+5)[22] to hit with unarmed strike
    +(1d4)[1] Bless
    (1d4+3)[6] damage

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Ducking aside from Loric's staff is one thing, but it leaves the half-orc open to the javelin of light that pierces through his chest. He stumbles back into the window, just in range for Loric to wrap an arm around his neck and tense the muscles, snapping the life out of him. A final choked laugh brings an end to the half-orc, and the fight. Peering past the dead body of the half-orc, Loric can finally get a better view of the children - and see that he recognises none of them. The Boy isn't here, but a half-dozen other children are. With the last adult dead they only have each other to cling to, quickly forming a tight circle, all facing outwards with their pitchforks held forth in a defensive manner. Their teeth are grit, but their eyes are wet with panic, their hands slick with sweat, and their knees shaking. Your swift killing of the adults who they've feared for so long will doubtless be cause for celebration in time, but for now all they have is fear as to what you will do to them now that their 'masters' are no longer alive.

Show

First combat concluded, but there's no sign of Gaedren, at least in this part of the Fishery.

I'll go over spoils once someone says they're going to be looting the bodies and/or Fishery, don't want to step on toes for whomever wants to try talking down the kids.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

8. - Top - End - #98

Scipio Arquetius - HP: 17\17 (7 THP) - Conditions: None - Active Effects: False Life - Harrow Points: 1

---------------

After the fight Scipio throws a worried look to Pogdan and asks "Are you well, sir?" no names, of course - the less potential witnesses can say to the Guard or the Hellknights, the better. Then he starts picking up the weapons of the fallen enemies, patting them just in case they have some hidden dagger here and there and also checks if they're still alive - might look like he's just looting, but he ignores coin or other valuables and seems focused on what could be used to harm someone; when done he piles all he has found in a corner, out of immediate reach of potential enemies (including the scared kids).

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    Here's an Investigation roll to find hidden stuff.

(1d20+7)[19]
    "Rabbit has Brain. That's why he never understands anything."

9. - Top - End - #99

DruidGirl

"I'm all right," he confirms, his attention still on the children around him.

"You're all right," he says. Prays. He tries to remember the patois he spoke when he was one of these children, but abandons it as hopeless; small he may be, but he is not one of them anymore, and no half-remembered patter is going to help.

"I was one of you, once. I can take you to the people who helped me escape. For now... for now, there is a woman who can take you in. Until we're done here."

"We're going to stop Lamm. For good."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Persuasion: (1d20+1)[6]
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-01 at 06:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

He looked to Scipio, "Did you find a set of keys, or an envelope on him? Something to lead us to Lamm?" As he spoke, he turned so his back was to the larger room, reloading his pistol, he watched their flank to ensure that Lamm or his associates could not approach and catch them unawares.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Human Bard
    Concentrating on:

Peeking into the room, Crease finds their opposition quite dead. He walks in and down to where the children are, adding his voice to Podgan's. We seek to end Lamm's ability to harm children like you, but for that we need to find them. Do any of you know where he is hiding? We promise he won't be able to hurt you anymore.

Show
    Providing advantage to Podgan. (1d20)[17] if you don't mind me rolling it for you to save posts, Tricia.
    The Bear is Back.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

The collected children look at you nervously, swaying side to side, and there's a few hushed whispers between them that you can make out as saying things like "can't trust them" and "they'll shoot us dead!" but finally one boy - the oldest, by the looks of him - lets his pitchfork hang loose in one hand, lowering it from a ready position. One child hisses "Kester, what're yo-" but the boy, Kester, shushes him. "If they were gon' kill us they'da done i'already! Loo' wha' they did ta Giggles and Gruller." His words seem to hold sway over the children, who one by one steadily lower their own weapons. "Lamm's down below, s'where he always is. Only way down is through the ship, least so far as I know," Kester points out to the vessel that you Loric observed earlier. "Yargin had a special way to drop stuff down but I don' think you'd fit, was for stuff we nabbed on t'streets, not for people, though..." He hesitates as he looks Pogdan up and down. "You migh' be able ta fit?" He pauses again, still a little bit wary. "There's spiders on the ship, bu' don' go in t'river to get roun' em, there's a shark or somethin' worse down there." It seems like that's all he has to say for a moment, but another orphan tugs on Kester's rags with another whispered word. Kester nods and turns back to you, somewhat more awkward. "Mr. Lamm, ah...he took Nodder down below. Told Puddles ta bring back five hundred gold by midnigh' or she wouldn' see him again." Kester, hands empty now, clutches at one arm with anger, the bruises clear. "P...please save him." He suddenly thrusts forward in a haphazard and completely ungraceful bow, but his head is lowered horizontal. The other children hesitate for a moment before repeating the motion and request, the chorus of please save him filling the room for a single moment that nevertheless echoes into you.

With the children being tended to, Scipio is able to rummage over the bodies and recover whatever he wishes freely. There's no one to stop him, and Aubin's vigilant watch ensures that no one sneaks up on you - though guards arriving for gunshots at the docks at night is unlikely enough to begin with. On the blonde he finds a number of items - a small stone engraved with a thunderbolt, a tightly clapsed leather bag that seems to squirm against your grip, some more acid, two keys - one brass, one iron - and around his neck is a gemstone amulet.

From the dead gnome, there's his kukri, a small case containing facepaints, artificial hair and other items to forge a disguise, another iron key, and a handful of coins. Finally Giggles has two potions of healing, his longbow and flail, plus a bag that jingles with coinage - 72 in all.

Spoiler: Recovered Items
    Show

From Yargin the blonde who never got named while alive you find:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A magical wand of some sort, though you'll need time or an Identify spell to discern its effects.
    3 more vials of weak acid (thrown item with 20/40 range, shatters on use, 1d4 acid damage)
    1 Thunderstone (20' range, 10 radius DC10 con save or 1d4 thunder damage, blind+deafen until end of next turn. Half damage and no condition on success.)
    1 Tanglefoot bag (10' square within 20', DC8 strength save or Restrained. Opposed strength check to break restrain. Creates difficult terrain and lasts for 1 minute.)
    1 dagger
    1 light crossbow with 10 bolts

A brass key, that seems to match the locks you saw on the outer and inner doors of the fishery.
    An iron key, that at a glance probably matches the cabinet in the initial workroom that Gruller and the children were in
    And a shiny amulet inset with a gleaming garnet gemstone. (DC11 Intelligence (Jeweler's Kit) check to appraise).

He's also wearing a set of leather armour.

On Gruller:
    Spoiler
    Show
    His Kukri, of course.
    A disguise kit
    Another iron key that is identical to the one that you recovered from Yargin.
    And seven gold coins.

His armour is ruined due to damage.

On Giggles:
    Spoiler
    Show

Two Potions of Healing (2d4+2)
    Chainmail armour
    His longbow, with 19 arrows.
    His flail
    and 72 gold coins.

Last edited by Amnestic; 2021-07-31 at 03:45 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

As the room echoed with the cries of the children, Please save Him! Please save him! Aubin gave a small, silent prayer to the Dawnflower, asking her to watch over these wayward souls, their innocence had been stolen, they deserved, at the least, a long-lived life, so they could find the love and joy that had, until this point, been denied them. He lifted the wooden sunburst to his lips, kissing it reverently, before tucking it back beneath his tunic.

Watching his companions search the area, he moved cautiously to the rear of the fishery, checking first the southern door, searching for a desk, coffers, something that would provide more information on the nature of Lamm's narcotics operations, underlings, dealings, and consumers. Probably too much to hope for, but still, if it was there and then bypassed it as they rushed to the ship's hold, he would never forgive himself.

Show
    OOC: Moving to the door that leads to the south-west corner of the fishery, looking for a desk, documents, or such that would help Aubin track down Lamm's associates who deal in Shiver and such. An Investigation check, if needed, (1d20-1)[5], not his strong suit, but he wants to try. And doing it while the others are distracted means he doesn't need to discuss his motives, or admit to his addiction.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Human Bard
    Concentrating on:

Crease's eyes shifted awkwardly as the children begged for them to save the missing child. The bard didn't like taking on responsibility, especially with such dire consequences. Still, he would do his best. He may not be a man with much moral fiber, but he didn't want anything to happen to the ragamuffin. Taking a moment to rifle through the ill gotten gains they'd managed to secure, Crease picked up one of the healing potions and uncorked it, looking around at his companions to see if anyone was opposed before tipping it back and drinking the contents of the vial. He shivered a bit as the wound on his wrist regenerated, and by the time it was done he was smiling. Then he picked up the crossbow and bolts. He aimed down the sight and took in the weight of the weapon. I haven't used one of these since I was a young lad at our rural estate. I was a crack shot with it back then, though, and I don't think my skills have dulled that much. If anyone else desires it I can fall back to my less powerful spells, but this should pack considerably more punch.

Show
    (2d4+2)[4] healing.
    The Bear is Back.

15. - Top - End - #105

BlueKnightGuy

Loric the Tanner

Human Monk

After the giggling madman falls lifeless, Loric peers through the window and down into the room, trying to make out any familiar figure among the children. But The Boy is not there. Standing at the window listening to them, he picks up on some things that tense his hand around his staff. "The Boy is in danger. Distributing these mongrels' wealth can wait." He grabs Giggles' corpse and roughly drags it out through the broken window, bringing it with him.

Burning with purpose, he carries on down the dock towards the ship, on guard for these resident spiders. No stranger is he to abnormally large arachnids, but the ones from his homeland often came with jabbing stingers and grabbing claws, and a much worse attitude. Hopefully they would be more amiable - or at least momentarily lulled into false security - with a meal.

Upon reaching the ship, he looks for ways in, prepared to chuck the corpse in ahead of him and see how the arachnids react.

16. - Top - End - #106

DruidGirl

At the sound of words from the window, Podgan looks up and realizes one of their group is forging ahead.

With a last word of reassurance to the children, he hurries up the ramp and calls to the others. "The tanner is going ahead! We have to follow him!"
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-09 at 11:25 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Human Stone Sorcerer
    HP: 6/10, AC: 13
    Active Effects: None
    Shadi stands unfurling amidst the carnage. The moment that the present threat is dealt with, the warrior lowers her blade. She descends down to the landing of the lower room, avoiding the gaze of child and adult alike. As she takes the first step, minute cracks appear around her wrists and ankles. Then the inside of her knees. Then her neck and shoulders. With each footfall the fissures grow, bits and pieces of blood-soaked stone sloughing off of her figure to reveal glistening muscle beneath. Shedding her skin, the Shoanti comes to stand before the others; Crease and Kester, Pogdan and Scipio.

She says nothing for a long while, regulating her ragged breaths until they're approaching steady. This is hardly anything new to her; but anyone watching would surely see a red-handed killer melting away and a wounded young woman taking her place. Her gaze settles on the children and does not waver. Shadi’s eyes are warm and expressive, though what they convey precisely is unclear. Guilt? Frustration? Regret?

"You are free," she says roughly to no victim in particular. "I am… sorry, that your friends fell. I only meant to stop them, not kill them. I am pleased that they still live. We will find Lamm and make sure he pays for putting you all here to die for him."

When she sees Loric slipping away to immediately go after the ship, Shadi breaks off speaking and frowns. She curses as Pogdan takes off right after the errant tanner, turning to the others. "Are we moving right away?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-08-24 at 11:07 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Human Bard
    AC: 14 HP: 9/10
    Concentrating on:

I suspect we will have time after Lamm is dead to more thoroughly loot this business. However, if we wait too long and Lamm manages to escape, who knows when we will be able to locate him again? I say we follow Loric and press on. Crease takes a few steps, meaning to do just that, before looking back to see if anyone is following him.
    The Bear is Back.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

The children finally seem calmed with your confirmation of help. Lead by Kester, they shuffle past the bisected corpse of Gruller back into the upper room where their injured (but stable) comrade lies. Between them, they lift him up and carry him into the one unexplored room on the upper level, which turns out to be a small sleeping area, though given the size and number of the beds its original use was most likely the adults, rather than any of the orphans.

While Aubin does get a brief look over of the desk that Yargin was previously sat on, the numerous slates of numbers require more time to investigate than his quick glance allows him. Almost immediately after he picks up a tablet to begin deciphering its contents Loric has disappeared with the body of Giggles. His swift feet carry him, weighed down or not. The moonlight above highlights a door towards the stern, and with no other options Loric's foot hits the deck - to his detriment. The added weight of Giggles body and the poor vision in the dark gives Loric's feet the perfect storm of being in just the wrong place at just the wrong time, and the rotting deck of the marooned, meager vessel gives way beneath him with a thunderous snap. Though only ten feet down the fall would normally drop a man, maybe even snap a leg, from its sudden and unexpected arrival, but Loric is faster and manages to angle Giggles corpse beneath him, softening the drop. It had caused the fall in the first place, and now it saved him just as much.

The interior of the ship is no more pleasant than the exterior. Dark and dank, the hold smells of mildew. Several barrels, crates, and other containers lie stacked here and there. Dust and grime cover the floor, except where river water has collected in puddles. Already Loric can make out the vague shapes of 'giant' spiders (which admittedly are still slightly smaller than your average cat) crawling out from behind thick webs and other detritus. Five, that you can see, but all clearly hungry for the intruder that made its way into their nest. Past them though, on the west side of the hull, is a hole back onto onto a wooden plank pathway, loosely tied with the same ropes as the one you were on just a moment before.

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

Had to split it between upper level and lower level.
    Upper:

Lower:

The slightly drawn over square is where Loric fell through.

I tried to position people in 'realistic' positions for how quickly Loric took off and he was followed. Reminder that you can exit the building through the smashed up window to the southeast of Scipio.

As for initiative, while I expect most party members turns are going to be roughly "dash a lot", the official order is

Everyone except Loric->Spiders->Everyone, with Loric prioritised.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

20. - Top - End - #110

DruidGirl

Podgan catches up with Loric, just in time to see him drop through the deck of the boat. The gnome peers down into the hold, his cave-evolved eyes picking out the creeping spiders, and fires another lance of light, with much less moral qualm.

"Are you hurt?" he calls to Loric, as he tries to shift out of the way of the rest of the group on his heels.

Show
    (1d20+6)[16]

(1d6)[4]
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-09 at 11:25 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

During his cursory search he noted several of his companions rush past him to exit the building, moving towards the moored galley along the quay. Hearing shouts of alarm and concern, he turned from his intended purpose, and moved quickly along the dock. He dashed past Scipio, Cressius, the large Shoanti sorceress, and the Factor, before arriving at the gangplank. He immediately noted the ragged hole in the rotten deckboards, and the Tanner sprawled on one of Lamm's associate's corpse.

However, there seemed to be movement from the shadows, concerned for the Tanner's safety, he nimbly hopped onto the gunwale, hoping the hull more sturdy that the deck. He maneuvered himself into a position where he would have a line of fire on any creature that closed on the Tanner. "Make haste," he called to his companions, "but have a care the deck's not rotted through."

Show
    OOC: Move & Dash to end my movement on the eastern gunwale, just south of where Tanner fell through the deck. Acrobatics check, if required, (1d20+6)[9]. Or not ... ...
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-08-03 at 05:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Scipio Arquetius - HP: 17\17 (7 THP) - Conditions: None - Active Effects: False Life - Harrow Points: 1

---------------

After the quick search, Scipio starts following the others (or more probably, just Pogdan) outside, even though he doesn't seem much in a hurry; he now wields his loaded crossbow instead of the spear - the Shoanti might've apologized, but the former watchman doesn't seem so keen to delve into melee at her side. A flash of light, then his gnomish friend asking to someone if they're hurt prod Scipio to move quickly, vaulting the smashed window and running to reach the others and see what's happening.

Spoiler: Actions!
    Show
    Move + Dash, Scipio stops besides Pogdan

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Human Bard
    Concentrating on:

Creissus advances across the dock, rattling slightly from the collection of weapons, instruments, and odds and ends he's got jangling and bangling from his body. When he sees the hole Loric has made he peers down into it, alarmed by the drop. He raised his crossbow and prepared to fire at a spider should it move to attack his ally.

Show
    Moving so Crease can see down the hole and firing the crossbow if the spiders move to attack- (1d20+5)[24] to hit (Disadvantage makes that a 9 to hit) and (1d8+3)[10] damage.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2021-08-03 at 11:40 AM.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #114

BlueKnightGuy

Loric the Tanner

Human Monk

Spurred on by impulse, Loric takes a heavy step onto the deck of the ship and feels it give way. Moving automatically, he angles the body of the dead man beneath him to cushion the fall, landing in a crouch atop him after riding him down the short drop. Around him are spiders, predictably panicked by his sudden appearance.

He had hoped to bypass them without wasting more time. His unceremonious entrance would surely have left them too rattled to calm. No matter, he will have to adapt and overcome. "I am alright," he responds to the gnome above. The others are releasing volleys, so he kicks the corpse of Giggles out in front of him and takes a defensive stance to ward off the spiders with his staff and avoid being surrounded in the dark-shrouded hold.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Drop Giggles 1W, take Dodge action.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Human Stone Sorcerer
    HP: 6/10, AC: 16
    Active Effects: Stone's Durability
    The Shoanti woman does not hesitate to jump right back into the action, one hand held over her bleeding stomach to staunch the worst of the bleeding. Wine-dark dribbles through her fingers as she keeps pace with the others, keeping her weapon at the ready as the group charges after Loric onto the ship. He tumbles out of sight and Shadi wastes no time in re-suiting herself in the living rock chrysalis she was wearing earlier.

Show
    Shadi is spending her action activating Stone's Durability and then moving closer to the hole in the ship. She will jump down and join the fight next turn.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-08-24 at 11:08 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

The platform around to the side of the boat holds fast, despite the creaking and shaking that it does as your collected group rushes up in Loric's wake. Pogdan's gleaming javelin of light pierces through the darkness for only a moment, skewering one of the cat-sized arachnids directly through its thorax, sending its collapsing body skittering across the lower hold floor. Scaling the gunwale, Aubin's foot slips out from under him against the wet, moss covered wood, sending him forward onto the deck that collapses out from the sudden impact. With one hole there already, he at least has enough wherewithal to brace properly, kicking against the hold wall to slow his fall and allow him to land on his feet - luckily, as a spider creeps up from behind him and launches itself in his direction. Even in the darkness his training pays off though as he deftly dodges at the last minute.

He's matched by Loric. With one spider adequately distracted by Giggles' body, the tanner is able to evade the other two spiders who try to nibble at his ankles, undistracted by the thud of Creissus' crossbow bolt slamming into the hull. At the very least the wood is still thick enough that you don't have to worry about it springing any sudden leaks.

Spoiler: Maps
    Show

Aubin broke through the ship after slipping off the gunwale. Made his dex save though, and then deftly dodged the spider.

Two spiders attacked Loric, who dodged them both. Another spider takes a bite out of Giggles' body.

Creissus' shot misses, but Pogdan pierces one with his radiant lance (that, unfortunately, does not offer light).

Everyone's up! These spiders may be little more than a roadbump at this rate.

If you willingly drop down from the top deck there's no dex save to make, since it can be assumed you're skating the walls or otherwise taking care not to fall over.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

27. - Top - End - #117

DruidGirl

Podgan frowns when he sees the Shoanti woman still trying to continue the fight while staunching a serious wound. Despite her mistake with the children, he doesn't bear her any particular ill-will, and he knows they will need everyone to finish this fight. He offers a brief prayer for her to Abadar before firing another lance of light at the spiders.

Show
    [roll]Healing Word for Shadi: (1d4+4)[5]

Attack Roll for Radiant Lance: (1d20+6)[16]
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-09 at 11:24 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Despite watching the deck boards crumble beneath the Tanner, Aubin, erroneously, assumed the Grunwald would support his weight. Finding it slick with moss, mold and disuse he too, tumbled through the darkness to land, heavily against the hull, before rolling to his feet.

A wet, ominous clicking, alerted him to the arachnid's assault. Dropping his left shoulder low, he rolled up, around the mandible, letting off a shot, angled upwards, towards the creature's left, so a miss,or misfire, wouldsend the errant shot towards the prow, rather than towards the south and east where his companions approaching.

Show
    OOC: I'll slip to the SW putting me on the spiders left flank, then spin and shoot it. Attack vs AC, (1d20+8)[11], if successful, it deals (1d10+4)[13] piercing damage. Harrow point reroll (in Discord channel), for 14 vs AC.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-08-08 at 11:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119

---------------

"Watch out, sir. Don't risk too much. You're no good to anyone dead." Scipio says to Pogdan with barely more than a whisper, then boards the ship and heads towards the top of the stairs, cautiously peeking dowstairs before exposing himself - while he seems willing to fight, he doesn't seem so keen in rushing forward without a good enough reason (Pogdan in any danger might be one, as far as anyone can tell).
    He kneels to be a little more accurate in firing the crossbow, lining up a shot to the spider right below him and warning the others as to avoid any potential friendly fire "Watch the stairs, I'm firing!"

Spoiler: Bet I'm going to miss
    Show
    Scipio moves and attacks with the crossbow.
    Attack (1d20+3)[16] Damage (1d8+1)[5]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Human Bard
    Concentrating on:

Cursing the darkness and reloading the crossbow for later, Crease instead waits for everyone else to attack the spiders, and if any survive he utters Join your friends, vermin., evoking psychic harm that can be resisted but not avoided. As far as getting onto the ship, he will wait to make the passage until he is sure the boat is done collapsing. Do any of you happen to have a rope? I'd rather not take the fastest route down.

Show
    Reserving action to cast Vicious Mockery on any surviving spiders. Spider makes a wisdom save vs. DC 13 (1d20)[17]. If it fails it takes (1d4)[3] psychic damage and has disadvantage on it's next attack roll.
    The Bear is Back.