New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Marvel's 'What If...?' Trailer

Official Trailer.

Spoiler
    Show

• Tony and Killmonger? This should be fun!
    • I'm trying to figure out who the head in the jar (1:40) is. Thought it was Steve at first glance, but he's blond.
    • Return of the war rhinos!
    • At least one episode of zombie apocalypse!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel's 'What If...?' Trailer

Spoiler
    Show
    Subtitles say the head is Scott Lang.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Eldan beat me to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    When I first saw the trailer, that was my guess, based mainly on the voice acting. Not sure where the jar aspect comes from, though.

Overall, the show looks like fun. I'm not a fan of Killmonger, but it does seem plausible that he and Stark could have crossed paths in Afghanistan. Much more interested in Doctor Strange and the Peggy Carter/Captain Britain aspect.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Subtitles say the head is Scott Lang.
    So they do. Thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Looks like a lot of fun, most hyped for the Captain Carter episode.

Spoiler: Some thoughts
    Show
    I'm guessing RDJ was the only actor they couldn't get to reprise the role. The Stark voice in the beginning was so off I was trying to figure out for a while if that was supposed to be another character instead. Even the Tony Stark in last year's Avengers game sounded closer.

Not sure how I feel about them adapting Marvel Zombies in some form. I enjoyed the original run for what it was, but what it was was pretty disturbing stuff. I'm guessing Pete isn't going to eat Aunt May in this one at least.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Hopefully this does numbers so we get an animated X-Men, New Mutants, or Excalibur.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I always enjoy what if stories, and it's a great way to product-test for new big budget stuff too.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Never been a huge fan of "what if" stories and this trailer doesn't look good enough to change my mind. This one's getting a pass from me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Howard the Duck??

The comic wasn't bad (especially for its day), but it really wasn't for everyone. The original film while fun to watch, was a little wonky, and very detached from the comic. Perhaps it would work as animation.

Some of the old "what if" comics were very good, but it could be very hit and miss. They worked because it was all limited to one issue. This might work as long as they keep the same sort of limitation.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-07-09 at 03:41 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

Wait...was that actually Chadwick doing T'Charllord? How long has this show been in production??
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Wait...was that actually Chadwick doing T'Charllord? How long has this show been in production??
    Yes it is. Wiki says they started voice recording in August 2019.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2021-07-09 at 12:31 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Not a huge fan of the animation, I don’t know if it is cell-shaded but it looks like those early 2000s CGI from before they got skin textures down.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Wait ... how did Killmonger throw that missile? He was just an ordinary human (albeit an exceptionally well-trained and deadly soldier) before taking the Heart-shaped Herb.

Anyways, I'm always a fan of "What if" stories.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2021-07-09 at 04:48 PM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post
    Wait ... how did Killmonger throw that missile? He was just an ordinary human (albeit an exceptionally well-trained and deadly soldier) before taking the Heart-shaped Herb.
    If you look closely, the "missile" is pretty small; Killmonger's hand takes up nearly half of its length.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

15. - Top - End - #15

I am interested in seeing some of these episodes. Not sure about the zombies one, but eh, I'll give it a shot. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm not really motivated for much to do with zombies, unless it's an MCU/Zombieland crossover, which is sadly unlikely.

Looking forward to the rest, though.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like we are getting more MCU animated stuff besides What If for Marvel is creating a new mini studio for said purpose.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mar...on-1235023739/
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giggling Ghast View Post

Anyways, I'm always a fan of "What if" stories.
    My guess is that this is the other half of the T'Challa as Star Lord episode. With the heir gone, they might have sought out Killmonger at an early age to be the new heir apparent (or the grief of losing his son may have prematurely ended T'Chaka and left his brother as new king). He may be a gentler version of the character who was raised, at least partially, in Wakanda and now is Black Panther. And because he is, Wakanda is now more involved in the world, hence why he'd be in Afghanistan saving Tony. There's no guarantee any of this is true, but it would make sense.

I've been excited for this since they announced it a couple of years ago. And the fact that it is animated is better, because it makes it easier (and cheaper) to get as many of the big people back as possible. What If? was always a fun comic because you got to watch butterfly effects at work and get all the pathos of major character moves like deaths and relationships without the lasting issues those can cause. Plus, sometimes they could just get downright ridiculous with things in a free-wheeling way that isn't possible for a ongoing series that actually progresses from issue to issue instead of remaining episodic. This show will hopefully be similarly fun (and based on the trailer and such, we have every reason to expect it will).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

So, the first episode is out, with Captain Carter and friends.

Overall quite enjoyable, slightly goofy in spots, but fun and tickling lots of nostalgia moments. Animation was very well done, and they had most of the original cast for the voices.

Just one thing I’m a little confused on:

Spoiler: Puzzlement
    Show
    How did Red Skull get the Tesseract? One minute it’s with SSR, with the dimwitted general complaining it’s just a battery, and then—somehow—it ends up in Red Skull’s secret castle lair. I don’t think we were shown how he managed that.

As for the rest…presumably once Thanos comes calling and the Time Heist gets the infinity stones in play, it’s Captain Carter who returns them after it’s all done and lives a second life with Steve Rogers.

All in all, nicely done. Next one will be something to look forward to.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

Just one thing I’m a little confused on:

Spoiler: Puzzlement
    Show
    How did Red Skull get the Tesseract? One minute it’s with SSR, with the dimwitted general complaining it’s just a battery, and then—somehow—it ends up in Red Skull’s secret castle lair. I don’t think we were shown how he managed that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Teserract was being used to power the Hydra Stomper. The train ambush trap disabled the Hydra Stomper, in terrain that Hydra controlled. A team must have combed the rubble for the suit, removed the Tesseract, then dragged the depowered suit and the cube back to the castle.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Saw this about a week ago, couldn't help but giggle..
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Selrahc
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Teserract was being used to power the Hydra Stomper. The train ambush trap disabled the Hydra Stomper, in terrain that Hydra controlled. A team must have combed the rubble for the suit, removed the Tesseract, then dragged the depowered suit and the cube back to the castle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, that does make sense. I knew the Stomper was powered up by the Tesseract, but I hadn't realized that the Tesseract was still in the Stomper when it was deployed.

They could've given us a 5-10 second scene showing Hydra troops combing the snow and finding a blue glow, but I suppose they wanted to keep the surprise (if it was one) that Steve Rogers was still alive.

23. - Top - End - #23

So am I crazy or was that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shuma-Gorath
    in that portal? I love Doctor Strange villains so I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Saw this about a week ago, couldn't help but giggle..
    Spoiler
    Show
    Funny but honestly, this is what Star Wars needs to do. Blah blah Force blah Multiverse, everything is canon in some way, retcon the contentious bits and shove the good or at least better ones into a movie somewhere.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-08-11 at 11:51 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

So am I crazy or was that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shuma-Gorath
    in that portal? I love Doctor Strange villains so I hope so.
    Regardless, I was secretly disappointing that...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...the champion 'from beyond the stars' didn't turn out to be Hive, which was my first guess. I should have known Marvel would never acknowledge Agents of Shield being canon!

But anyway, I liked the episode. This was basically me for the whole thing:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Funny but honestly, this is what Star Wars needs to do. Blah blah Force blah Multiverse, everything is canon in some way, retcon the contentious bits and shove the good or at least better ones into a movie somewhere.
    I find broad answers to discontinuity kinda boring. Like isn’t the fun thing about canon trying to fit all the bits that explicitly don’t fit together?

I dunno, maybe my views are warped due to being a “no canon”ist for Doctor Who.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2021-08-12 at 02:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That is what Star Wars did. Boba Fett was Jaster Mereel, no that's still canon in some way but it's retconned into being the grandson of Jaster Mereel and the "good one" (ie what Lucas wanted) was shoved into a movie somewhere. That's the joke.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...the champion 'from beyond the stars' didn't turn out to be Hive, which was my first guess. I should have known Marvel would never acknowledge Agents of Shield being canon!
    Spoiler
    Show
    SO MUCH THIS.

From the moment Red Skull started talking about his "patron," I was convinced it would be Hive. Who else would it be? The original guiding tentacle-spirit of Hydra?

But no, apparently a random tentacle-monster instead. Ah well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Regardless, I was secretly disappointing that...

Spoiler
    Show

But anyway, I liked the episode. This was basically me for the whole thing:

I was expecting Loki to step through

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by M1982 View Post
    I was expecting Loki to step through
    I was half expecting that.

I wasn't really expecting the Ogdru Jahad, but they are a known risk of evil technosorcery.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I find broad answers to discontinuity kinda boring. Like isn’t the fun thing about canon trying to fit all the bits that explicitly don’t fit together?
    Sure, but not when it means losing the bits (and actors) that really work.

So Marvel now has the perfect excuse to, say, bring Charlie Cox's Daredevil into the MCU proper. Or have Andrew Garfield snark at Tom Holland, while they both run rings around Alfred Molina. Or hell, they might even have Don Cheadle and Terrence Howard bury the hatchet at some point. Because it's fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That is what Star Wars did. Boba Fett was Jaster Mereel, no that's still canon in some way but it's retconned into being the grandson of Jaster Mereel and the "good one" (ie what Lucas wanted) was shoved into a movie somewhere. That's the joke.
    They haven't gone far enough. Yeah Boba is back, and maybe they'll even explain how/why, but as far as I can tell most of the EU is still in a cupboard somewhere and they still have no idea what to do with anything from TRoS and beyond. Star Wars is content to wallow in its past, DC is still throwing everything it can at the wall to see what sticks, while Marvel is actually making a future.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy