Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel's 'What If...?' Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Spoiler: Episode 2
    Show
    I think they'll be able to handle Ego.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea, T'challa, the greatest hero of all space time, will probably chat him up a bit and get him to rethink his entire plan and start going to therapy.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been amused but somewhat lukewarm on most of these, but I really liked Episode 6.
    My awesome avatar by the lovely "the_fennecfox"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

New episode, and probably my favorite so far, even if it was pretty dark in places.

Spoiler: The New Killmonger
    Show
    Did not see so many character deaths coming, although given the last few What Ifs, I probably should have.

For a little while there I thought Killmonger was going to be the next Iron Man, or at least Iron Something. I’d hoped we’d see a nobler version of Killmonger, but clearly not.

Spoiler: Minor Gripes
    Show
    I really dislike the animation style, especially how Pepper and Tony were rendered. Their features seemed more caricatures than faithful renditions—in strong contrast to Killmonger—and Pepper in particular seemed built more like Captain Carter than Gwyneth Paltrow.

Also, this is the second time that an episode has ended right when I was most invested in seeing how things would play out. It’s well done on their part—but just as I wanted to see Captain Marvel taking on Loki, I really wanted to see Pepper and Shuri taking on Killmonger and the forces of military stupidity.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Episode 6
    Show
    So... that was boring... here i thought they were going to go somewhere interesting with this by crossing Killmonger and ironman, but this is just the same story as Black Panther but with extra steps! Killmonger is the SAME "1. 2. 3. 4. lets start a race war!" guy that he was in the movie, there's just more robots this time.

Honestly that... could have been a LOT better. You know the "broken glass / shards" scene in the intro? there's a bit where Tony is hammering his iron man suit in there, and up until this episode i honestly thought that was Killmonger, the shadows and bad memory kind of muddied things up a bit. So thought it was going to be an episode where Killmonger ends up making a mini arc reactor (or vibranium reactor?) to power his heart, and become the iron man of this universe. THAT would have been interesting, maybe he could have some actual interesting goals or something? maybe a suit that isn't just black panther but slightly more gold?

well when they showed the Tony scene in this episode and it was more clear that it was Tony, that idea flew out the window. So Killmonger saved Tony's life, and they start making robots. Okay! cool! Maybe in this universe Killmonger isn't so crazy and can actually be a good guy. maybe the robots get out of control, cue robot uprising, and Killmonger and maybe Tony need to use their brains and work together to solve the problem! buuuhhht... Okay, he just killed T'challa... now we're just in the Black Panther movie again... the entire second half of this episode is just Black Panther but with robots...

1/10. could have been done better if literally anything about Killmonger was changed.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2021-09-15 at 05:13 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I’ll admit I’d been hoping this episode was going to be ‘what if Killmonger was a good guy’ and when Pepper started getting suspicious I had a brief flash of hope that she’d be a supervillain this time around. Instead we got ‘what if Killmonger won’ and it was just depressing.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Spamalot in the Playground

Just gonna leave these here:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The point is to explore changes from the main timeline. Some of those will be big, but some will be small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Some episodes will follow very similar plot beats to the original. Others will differ wildly.

Just let the writers have some fun guys
    While I'm not against any sort of drastic changes, part of the fun of What If (in my mind anyway) is exploring attributes of the characters that can be considered fundamental aspects of their identity. So a Steve Rogers who never became a supersoldier but was still offered an opportunity to fight Hydra using science - the Stomper instead of a serum in this case - would still take it. And Peggy would still be attracted to him since she cares about who he is moreso than what the serum did to him.
    So yes,
    Spoiler
    Show
    a Killmonger who is still hyperfocused on using Wakandan resources to fight what he sees as racial tyranny, and who gets a massive head start in doing so, is going to follow a similar path to the original while also being considerably more successful at his mission. That's core to his character, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he still wanted to pursue that.

But the episode ends with a ray of hope, that Shuri might eventually stop him. Or maybe she doesn't, and Loki or Thanos arrive to find a wartorn planet that ends up being easy pickings.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #247

Spoiler: Ep6 Killmonger
    Show
    I felt this episode was "okay", not bad, not amazing, just decent. I think it could have potential to do a lot more than what it accomplished. For instance, If Killmonger was gonna be the same backstabbing dude, I would have liked to see Tony survive his fight with him. Seeing that the Gundam bot had no ability to think and handle freestyling opponents, Tony THEN builds his Iron Man suit to correct the issue--putting a thinking person (himself) behind the tech and take on Killmonger at Wakanda.

It would have been neat in my opinion to see Killmonger stage the robot insurrection at Wakanda and then Tony shows up for a rematch.

Or, another idea is that Killmonger's faking of the robots coming back online with a "backup" link backfires on him--What If Tony's machines do learn and they end up gaining a limited Ultron-like hive mind and end up actually overwhelming and killing Killmonger. Suddenly we have Wakanda falling to an overpowered US robot military that maybe even the US can't fully control.

As it is, I agree with Palanan that it ends too soon. I'd love to see more of this story play out.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

So far it seems like every episode of What If is just a trailer for a more interesting movie that is never going to happen.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Talakeal
    So far it seems like every episode of What If is just a trailer for a more interesting movie that is never going to happen.
    So much this, especially with the last few episodes.

Put another way, these episodes often feel like the compressed first act of a potentially very cool movie.

Spoiler: Scenarios
    Show
    The Killmonger episode welded together aspects of four different MCU movies, and overall I think it did a good job within its constraints.

But it sets up a scenario that’s both compelling in itself, and gives us an interesting team-up of two female protagonists trying to solve it. But with all that setup and promise, it just—cuts off. And what are the chances we’ll get a continuation if there’s a Season Two?

After seeing the first half-dozen episodes, I think I’d prefer a continuing storyline set in one single alternate universe, with interconnected episodes bringing together a number of what-if scenarios. But that’s the smokiest of pipe dreams.

Ah well. At least I have Hawkeye and Star Wars: Visions to look forward to.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-09-16 at 04:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    That's... kind of the point. It's an idea lab and always has been. Maybe later we'll get a Captain Carter TV show or a Marvel Zombies video game. Almost all of these vignettes are pilots.

These are also invaluable for merch purposes. How much you want to bet there will now be Tcharlord Halloweeen costumes and Xmas toys to go alongside the Starlord ones this year? (Aimed at young boys of color especially).
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-09-17 at 10:41 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #251
    Bugbear in the Playground

The first season is not over yet, and there will be a second season. Plus, live action movies that will deal with the MCU multiverse. But I guess this is one of those series that people just love to hate
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-09-17 at 05:41 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    The first season is not over yet, and there will be a second season. Plus, live action movies that will deal with the MCU multiverse. But I guess this is one of those series that people just love to hate
    It all comes down to what I said after the first episode. 30 minutes isn't long enough to do a truly satisfying deep dive into an alternate timeline. It's barely enough time to do the short stories we did get. The only one that's actually felt complete is the Dr. Strange episode.

The storytelling has mostly been fine, but the actual premises deserved a movie, a serial (Doctor Who style, 3-4 episodes to hit movie length for the overall story), or even a full TV series the length of WandaVision or Loki. It's natural for people to feel cheated when the story cuts off right after the full implications of the changes start to sink in.

This series is all right for what it is, but it could have been so much more.

13. - Top - End - #253

I still don't see why the "more" has to be part of this series, let alone this season.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #254

Flumph

Kids these days can't deal with short format storytelling I guess.

I think we should all just be sad they haven't progressed the MCU to the point we can have the one where Aunt May is the herald of Galactus.

15. - Top - End - #255

What If? was my favorite comic growing up, and I was really looking forward to this show. And I still don't hate it, I really like it. I just end every episode feeling ripped off with it ending right as it gets good. I don't recall the comics ever having that problem despite only being 30 pages, they told a complete story, and though sometimes they ended with a stinger that may or may not have ever payed off, they still told a complete story first.

That's... kind of the point. It's an idea lab and always has been. Maybe later we'll get a Captain Carter TV show or a Marvel Zombies video game. Almost all of these vignettes are pilots.

These are also invaluable for merch purposes. How much you want to bet there will now be Tcharlord Halloweeen costumes and Xmas toys to go alongside the Starlord ones this year? (Aimed at young boys of color especially).
    Is that supposed to make me like it more? The idea that I need to pay them money for something that is only meant as a cheap toy commercial is really kind of repugnant. At least He Man and GI Joe had the decency to be on free network TV. Not that telling a complete story and being a naked merch whore are in any way opposed mind you...
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2021-09-17 at 02:10 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

16. - Top - End - #256

Is that supposed to make me like it more? The idea that I need to pay them money for something that is only meant as a cheap toy commercial is really kind of repugnant. At least He Man and GI Joe had the decency to be on free network TV. Not that telling a complete story and being a naked merch whore are in any way opposed mind you...
    What you like is entirely up to you. All I'm doing is helping you understand why the show might not be something that you apparently thought it was.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by GloatingSwine
    Kids these days can't deal with short format storytelling I guess.
    The trick is to tell a complete story within that format, and most of these don’t. That’s what leads to the sense of being cheated that Rodin and Talakeal, among others, have expressed.

Originally Posted by Clertar
    The first season is not over yet, and there will be a second season. Plus, live action movies that will deal with the MCU multiverse.
    There’s no guarantee that anything in the second season will continue from any of the dropoff points in the first season. And it hardly seems likely that the MCU will touch any of these.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

My impression is that they are basically doing a Marvel Twilight Zone. If you've ever watched The Twilight Zone, the format is very similar. Each episode is just a little one-shot that explores a single idea for a brief time. I went into this show expecting that, and that's what I got. I wonder if people were expecting something else, and feel let down then?

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    The trick is to tell a complete story within that format, and most of these don’t. That’s what leads to the sense of being cheated that Rodin and Talakeal, among others, have expressed.
    And as I noted, there is an episode that manages it - the Doctor Strange episode tells a complete tale with nothing more to tell.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Captain Carter episode retells First Avenger with only cosmetic changes, leaving the story when it gets interesting (Carter instead of Loki through the portal)

The T'Challa Star Lord is the episode that does the next best - we get an alternate Guardians of the Galaxy tale and the interesting part of that story is contained within the episode. The bit with Ego is basically an ending gag.

The Avengers Die episode is interesting, but leaves us with the intriguing premise of Loki ruling with no Avengers to stop them. Original premise was cool, seeing how they got out of it would have been way cooler.

Doctor Strange episode is fine. As I said when I watched it, my only complaint is that Stein's Gate did it first and a single 30 minute episode can't compete with a 25 episode long series.

Zombie What If is a pretty basic story when you get down to it. The big complaint there is that nothing gets resolved. We quit in the middle of the story. What do they do with the Mind Stone? How do they deal with Zombie Thanos? Etc etc.

The Killmonger episode walks us through the same story beats as Black Panther, albeit in a different enough way to make it more interesting than the Captain Carter episode. Again the story quits halfway through. What do Shuri and Pepper do? How do they beat Killmonger?

My complaint for each episode is pretty much the same for each one. The episode tells how the donkey got stuck up a minaret (to use a Pratchett-ism) but then leaves it to our imagination on how to get the donkey back down again. This is unfortunate, because getting the donkey back down again is the most entertaining part. A short story should still have a beginning, a middle, and an end - even if the ending is a bleak one where the villain wins or the world is destroyed by the characters' hubris. The What If stories we've seen so far mostly end after Act II, where things are bleak but our heroes have a chance of fixing things. And the episodes haven't done that.

This is why I feel like the episodes could have done with being an hour long, or even serials where you take as much time as it takes to get to a good stopping point. You don't have to deal with every ramification. Take the Killmonger episode - you don't need to work out what happens when Loki and the Chitauri arrive, or when Thanos arrives, or explain what Thor is doing during this time period. You do need to finish telling what happens to Killmonger, and the episode didn't.

The episodes are not long enough to tell the story they set out to tell.

20. - Top - End - #260

Flumph

Problem is, some of these episodes are not self contained enough. For example:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Killmonger episode would be a better story without that ending with Pepper and Shuri. It's now simply feels incomplete.

21. - Top - End - #261

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    My impression is that they are basically doing a Marvel Twilight Zone. If you've ever watched The Twilight Zone, the format is very similar. Each episode is just a little one-shot that explores a single idea for a brief time. I went into this show expecting that, and that's what I got. I wonder if people were expecting something else, and feel let down then?
    I love the Twilight zone. I have seen every episode of the original and the 80s and 2000s reboots. Although I am sure there is one, I can't recall a single episode that ended on an unresolved cliff hanger. A lot of them ended with a reveal / twist, but that didn't leave the episode incomplete.

Maybe they are trying to pull of the twist ending and just don't know how to do it right?

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know, I feel like you could make the same arguments against The Twilight Zone.

Time Enough at Last: The episode ends with Bemis finally having the time to read as many books as he wants for the rest of his life, then his glasses fall off and break. But what happens then? Does he survive the post-apocalyptic landscape with no means of seeing? Does he find any survivors? Are we, the audience, just supposed to imagine what happens next?

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet: We never find out what happened to Wilson after he is wheeled off on that gurney. Was the evidence of the gremlin tampering with the plane found, and he was exonerated? Where did the gremlin even come from? What are its origins? How did it get on the plane, why was it messing with the engine, and why did it hide everytime someone looked out the window except for Wilson?

23. - Top - End - #263

I don't know, I feel like you could make the same arguments against The Twilight Zone.

Time Enough at Last: The episode ends with Bemis finally having the time to read as many books as he wants for the rest of his life, then his glasses fall off and break. But what happens then? Does he survive the post-apocalyptic landscape with no means of seeing? Does he find any survivors? Are we, the audience, just supposed to imagine what happens next?

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet: We never find out what happened to Wilson after he is wheeled off on that gurney. Was the evidence of the gremlin tampering with the plane found, and he was exonerated? Where did the gremlin even come from? What are its origins? How did it get on the plane, why was it messing with the engine, and why did it hide every time someone looked out the window except for Wilson?
    The complaint is not that What If doesn't include an infinitely long backstory / epilogue. If that is your metric, then What If, Twilight Zone, the MCU, and every other piece of fiction ever fails at it.

The complaint is that they are cutting away at the wrong moment; ending the episode at what would, in an ordinary story, be the first or second act break rather than waiting until the climax has been resolved.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

I get the same impression, Black Mirror is also another good compariosn.

The premise is to show you three things.

1) A decision that is made differently then how we know it (The only real straggler from this point would be the Dr. Strange one where the universe itself seemed determined to kill his girlfriend instead of his hands in that setting)

2) The Consequences of that decision

3) A look into the future of that decision.

Anything that happens after that point is likely intentionally left up to our imagination. It's supposed to make us think and wonder. What could happen next? Will Spider man, the head of Ant-man, a one-legged Black Panther, and the Cloak of Levitation be able to cure the zombie plague? Will Captain Marvel and Captain America be able to fight off Loki and the Asgardians? Will Shuri and Potts stop Killmonger being backed by Wakanda? Those are our questions to ask, and ours to wonder. But the story has already been told. We've seen the birth of a new timeline, and where it ends up from this point is a completely different ballgame.

Black Mirror works in a very similar method. There's an entire episode where brain scans of different office workers get put into a game developers modded single-player version of a MMO, and it ends with them escaping into the MMO itself, suddenly finding themselves as intelligent NPC's basically, who can roam this whole new world without limit. We don't get any of their stories, because that's not the story being told. For all we know they get shot and die in the next scene, or they live long and happy lives exploring, maybe even escaping to a new MMO when the current one eventually gets shut down. who knows?

Wondering what happens after the end of an episode is like wondering what happened to someone who saved your life as kid and you never saw them again. Sometimes the stories you come up with are more compelling then the truth.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The complaint is not that What If doesn't include an infinitely long backstory / epilogue. If that is your metric, then What If, Twilight Zone, the MCU, and every other piece of fiction ever fails at it.

The complaint is that they are cutting away at the wrong moment; ending the episode at what would, in an ordinary story, be the first or second act break rather than waiting until the climax has been resolved.
    Indeed. I haven't seen Time at Last so I can't discuss it, but I have seen Nightmare at 20000 Feet.

Nightmare has a beginning, a rising crisis, a climax, and an end. The beginning is our protagonist getting on a plane, the rising crisis is him desperately trying to warn everyone about the gremlin on the wing. The climax is when he decides to take action and shoot the gremlin off the wing, nearly causing the plane to crash in the process. And the end is him being wheeled off in a gurney to an uncertain fate.

The unresolved items are deliberately hidden from the viewer to creep them out. What is the gremlin? Any explanation is unnecessary to the episode, because the episode is wholly self-contained. The mystery of what the gremlin is and where it came from adds to the unsettling nature of the creature. The evidence of tampering isn't shown to keep ambiguity. Was the gremlin real, or was Wilson crazy? Knowing about the tampering solves that mystery one way or the other and weakens the episode. Why was it messing with the engine and hiding from everyone but Wilson? Pick your answer. Either it was an evil spirit deliberately messing with Wilson knowing he couldn't stop it (and not considering he might be able to get his hands on a weapon), or the Gremlin was a symptom of Wilson's paranoia and insanity and never existed in the first place. If it hides from Wilson as well, you don't have a story. If it hides from nobody, the ambiguity goes right out the window and we have a different story on our hand.

The episode is carefully crafted to only give us the details we need and deliberately hide those we don't. What happens to Wilson afterwards doesn't matter - the story is done and Wilson's uncertain fate is part of that conclusion.

The What If episodes struggle with this both coming and going. We don't see a blank slate character like Wilson - instead, we see a character who we know inside and out from a dozen movies. We know what happened in the world prior to the What If episode, and we know what's supposed to happen afterwards. They can't introduce a "gremlin" because they're sticking to established MCU characters. We know what the gremlin is, where it came from, what its plans are, and what it actually did in the prime universe.

It also makes it very difficult to end them. Nightmare ends with Earth carrying on exactly as it did before. Nobody believes Wilson, and nobody is likely to discover an army of gremlins waging war on aircraft. Our assumption is that the world continues to spin as normal, only with Wilson in a psychiatric ward. The What If stories feature fundamental changes to the universe. The world doesn't spin on - Loki has conquered Earth. Or Loki hasn't shown up and Captain Carter has. Or everyone is zombies. The ending point is drastically different from where the episode started, but the implications of that change are never addressed.

26. - Top - End - #266

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It also makes it very difficult to end them. Nightmare ends with Earth carrying on exactly as it did before. Nobody believes Wilson, and nobody is likely to discover an army of gremlins waging war on aircraft. Our assumption is that the world continues to spin as normal, only with Wilson in a psychiatric ward. The What If stories feature fundamental changes to the universe. The world doesn't spin on - Loki has conquered Earth. Or Loki hasn't shown up and Captain Carter has. Or everyone is zombies. The ending point is drastically different from where the episode started, but the implications of that change are never addressed.
    Again - why should those changes be explored in this season of this show?

Maybe Loki rules unchallenged until Thanos arrives to get Earth's stones. Maybe he gets bored in a year and leaves. Maybe Malekith attacks the planet when the Convergence starts. Maybe Carol arrives and kicks all their asses in seconds. Maybe Loki ticks off Wen Wu who then puts his rings back on to become a hero. Maybe he decides to play with the Deviants which causes the Eternals to get involved. On and on and on.

Forcing the writers to pick one right now is just going to result in a continuation that feels half-baked or rushed. They spend a lot more work on each episode, and you and others are no more satisfied than you are now. Why do all that when they can just leave a hook for later?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #267

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Nightmare at 20000 Feet.
    Unrelated, I loved the bit done in the show Third Rock from the Sun between William Shatner and John Lithgow, where Shatner's character mentions seeing something on the flight over and Lithgow's character responding "the same thing happened to me."

(They both played the lead character in Nightmare at 20,000 Feet)

Anyway, on topic: I am fine with these episodes being only the opening act of what could be an entire movie length storyline. It feels like that was intentional, to get the audience to imagine how it plays out from there and debate it.

That said, I do have the hunger to see more of the story play out on the screen for many of these episodes. This series does leave you like Oliver asking if you can have more. ^^
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-09-18 at 06:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

I am really happy with the format. I prefer the stories some people claim are "incomplete" I. E. Shuri/Pepper, Cap Marvel/America, etc..

Because the thematic beat with these ending is "the story is never truly over"

Except in the very few occasion when it is truly over. Like with Dr Strange

29. - Top - End - #269

I'm surprised that so many people in this thread believe so firmly that we're never going to see more from evil Dr Strange, Black Monger, Captain Carter or the MCU zombies, not in the What if series and not in live-action MCU.

The MCU can be accused of many things, but I wouldn't put lack of ambition and of a drive to follow things up on that list. Oh well, it's as simple as waiting to see if this belief is correct or not.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised that so many people in this thread believe so firmly that we're never going to see more from evil Dr Strange, Black Monger, Captain Carter or the MCU zombies, not in the What if series and not in live-action MCU.

The MCU can be accused of many things, but I wouldn't put lack of ambition and of a drive to follow things up on that list. Oh well, it's as simple as waiting to see if this belief is correct or not.
    I mean, maybe we can see some of those. Of have these universe be referenced somehow in the future. But the point of What If is just to go wild with crazy divergent stories and timelines. To see the same people be put through different ordeals, and see what it reveals about them.

Seeing Bucky claim the shield and stand up to the zombie of Rogers was a great moment.