New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Marvel's 'What If...?' Trailer

So when are we going to get a What If where Wanda as a child watched "Muppets VHS / DVDs"

And thus the hex after Endgame was an X-Men movie with Muppets, with James Marsden and Wanda as the only human characters. Followed by No, More Mutants that occurs after Wanda battles an Agatha Muppets.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Interesting critique:
    So, you see American - cavalry comes with an invincible tankbusting robot and you plough through all resistance because you're the strong one.
    While British: Holding out till enemy makes a mistake or you discover a weakness that can pulls out a victory.

As an aside:
    So, Rogue 1 Star Wars movie would be closer to British war style?
    That's a reasonable summary.

"The cavalry arrives" is a pretty solid American trope, really. I mean it's basically from one of the great genres of American mythmaking, the western.

The outstanding examples of mythmaking in British military cinema are based on events where there was never a cavalry to come (Zulu, A Bridge too Far, The Cruel Sea, that sort of thing). Often stories where it's all gone horribly wrong somehow, and someone has to rise to the occasion and the best you get out of it is that some of you didn't die.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Often stories where it's all gone horribly wrong somehow, and someone has to rise to the occasion and the best you get out of it is that some of you didn't die.
    Oh hey a perfect summary of Bridge On the River Kwai.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-08-17 at 02:50 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Peggy definitely seems like more of a shoot her problems in the face sort.
    This is exactly the point. A superheroes' gear isn't a mechanics issue, because they'll win the day with whatever gear they use. It's a characterization issue.

Steve's first instinct in a crisis is to grab a shield. We see this with the garbage can lid and the car door. So it's natural that he would end up with a shield.

Peggy's first instinct in a crisis is to grab a handgun. That's what she does when confronting the Hydra saboteur. So when she ends up with a shield it feels less like a natural step for her character and more like she's been dropped into a Steve-shaped hole in the plot.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Promo for Episode 2 dropped:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Promo for Episode 2 dropped:
    About 95% of that we've seen before...but I have to admit, the very thematic logo at the end gave me a good chuckle.

The Guardians are my very least favorite corner of the MCU, but T'Challa is right at the top, so we'll see how the combination fares. Here's hoping alternate T'Challa doesn't have any Celestials in his immediate family tree.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    About 95% of that we've seen before...but I have to admit, the very thematic logo at the end gave me a good chuckle.

The Guardians are my very least favorite corner of the MCU, but T'Challa is right at the top, so we'll see how the combination fares. Here's hoping alternate T'Challa doesn't have any Celestials in his immediate family tree.
    Okay what is your favorite corner of the MCU? I ask for Guardians is my jam (I do have complaints) and I am curious what is a viewpoint 180 or perhaps a different number from mine.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

My top three MCU movies are probably Iron Man 1, Avengers 1, and Spider-Man: Homecoming, with Black Panther and Winter Soldier very close behind.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh... honestly the cavalry arrives multiple times through Rogue One. Not really.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Spamalot in the Playground

That's a reasonable summary.

"The cavalry arrives" is a pretty solid American trope, really. I mean it's basically from one of the great genres of American mythmaking, the western.

The outstanding examples of mythmaking in British military cinema are based on events where there was never a cavalry to come (Zulu, A Bridge too Far, The Cruel Sea, that sort of thing). Often stories where it's all gone horribly wrong somehow, and someone has to rise to the occasion and the best you get out of it is that some of you didn't die.
    Neither this episode nor FA are about the cavalry arriving to save the protagonists though, they are the cavalry. Which in fact makes this closer to another famous British war film, The Wild Geese. Though not British enough perhaps?

I just find the idea that denying a character's nationality or believing them somehow to be a betrayal because they make use of certain tropes to be absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Eh... honestly the cavalry arrives multiple times through Rogue One. Not really.
    Indeed - along with, once again, the cast themselves being the cavalry.

Quote Originally Posted by theNater View Post
    This is exactly the point. A superheroes' gear isn't a mechanics issue, because they'll win the day with whatever gear they use. It's a characterization issue.

Steve's first instinct in a crisis is to grab a shield. We see this with the garbage can lid and the car door. So it's natural that he would end up with a shield.

Peggy's first instinct in a crisis is to grab a handgun. That's what she does when confronting the Hydra saboteur. So when she ends up with a shield it feels less like a natural step for her character and more like she's been dropped into a Steve-shaped hole in the plot.
    Howard trying to make a gun out of a lump of vibranium would be ridiculous. Even if he could somehow fashion the hardest metal on earth into something with moving parts, throwing away such a valuable material on bullets would be an extravagant waste, and using regular bullets would utterly defeat the device's purpose. A bulletproof shield meanwhile just makes sense. Howard Stark is not an idiot.

Above is the Watsonian reasoning. The Doylist reasoning is that we know she's going to end up with the shield, they have less than a quarter of the runtime of the original to give her the shield, and so any dithering on the subject is a foolish waste of time that serves no purpose.

So by both forms of logic, it's reasonable for Howard to walk up and hand her the shield, end of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Okay what is your favorite corner of the MCU? I ask for Guardians is my jam (I do have complaints) and I am curious what is a viewpoint 180 or perhaps a different number from mine.
    Guardians is honestly my least favorite, I really dislike Starlord's childishness (yes I know that's the point of the character) and while I quite like Gamora a lot of her scenes end up leading back to him which taints her by association. Drax was fine in the original but his unnecessary meanness towards Mantis and then the lack of anything for him to do later (and certainly nothing at all to do now that Thanos is dead). Rocket and Groot are great, though the latter got downgraded to team mascot that keeps the kiddies engaged. I am curious to see what role Thor will play though, and resetting Gamora and Starlord's relationship, while inevitably giving Starlord more screentime, will at least result in a deeper examination of who Gamora is without Thanos looming over her head so I'm interested in that.

For me the favorites are the team-up movies for their banter and the cast bouncing off each other I suppose. Civil War is the one I keep coming back to most repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    CA: Civil War, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers Endgame: are 'the trilogy' that defined MCU to me. So I have them on their own classification.

Captain America First Avenger is, and probably always will be, top of the list.

After that there's a deep middle tier. Great, but problematic movies. Probably Spideman: Homecoming, Iron man 1, and Dr Strange are at the top of the list, followed by Antman and the GoG movies.

I will say that Avengers, Avengers Age of Ultron, Iron man 2 an Iron man 3 are the bottom of my list. Terrible movies.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    The Doylist reasoning is that we know she's going to end up with the shield...
    Doylist perspective only: Why is she going to end up with the shield? Why is that important to the story? Why is that good writing?

13. - Top - End - #103

Doylist perspective only: Why is she going to end up with the shield? Why is that important to the story? Why is that good writing?
    Doylist only: It's part of the character's brand. Skipping that would be like having another Wolverine with no claws, or another Deadpool with no swords, or a Spiderman who never wears a mask.

As far as the writing, it fits with both her character and Howard's. She's as much inspirational symbol as hero, hence him basing her gear on her planned USO uniform. This is drifting back towards Watsonian, but keeping that symbol from being riddled with bullets is important, and the most bullet-proof and portable metal on the planet does that.

In both versions of the story, Howard had the idea to craft a vibranium shield, but in this version he clearly moved beyond the prototype phase before approaching her. Why that is is unimportant (I could come up with theories all day long if I cared to), so long as it's a plausible turn of events.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

So, second episode is out. Hella good fun.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one certainly ramps up the goofy and the freewheeling fun, and Djimon Hounsou just about stole the show with his fanboy routine. Watching Nebula vamping around was a close second in terms of enjoyably silly, especially with the “Cha-Cha” bit.

I’m a little more skeptical of Thanos palling around as one of the crew, and it would be one hella epic diplomacy check to talk him down from his signature plan. T’Challa convincing Yondu to go straight is one thing, but Yondu isn’t the brightest standard candle in the sky. Thanos is a different story; he’s not called Huggeros or Rainbowos for a reason. It’s just hard for me to see this guy, even “reformed,” as being one more member of the crew.

T’Challa himself was great, and it’s quite poignant to hear Chadwick Boseman in the role again. More than any other Marvel actor, he seems inherently suited to play a hero.

The various cameos were a trip—and seeing Knowhere become a giant chia pet was hilarious. And also both sad and almost-funny that the non-Starlord Peter Quill ended up working in a Dairy Queen.

All in all, great fun—and, in contrast to the Captain Carter episode, here we see someone not following the script of the original sources, but rather changing everything around him by virtue of who he is. It’s a lovely testament to Chadwick Boseman himself.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter are different characters.

16. - Top - End - #106

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show
    I’m a little more skeptical of Thanos palling around as one of the crew, and it would be one hella epic diplomacy check to talk him down from his signature plan. T’Challa convincing Yondu to go straight is one thing, but Yondu isn’t the brightest standard candle in the sky. Thanos is a different story; he’s not called Huggeros or Rainbowos for a reason. It’s just hard for me to see this guy, even “reformed,” as being one more member of the crew.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He sometimes is, mind. After the original Infinity Gauntlet story Thanos was the one who kept the Reality stone because he was the only person who could be trusted not to abuse it, having had unlimited power and not gotten what he wanted.

It's also, ultimately, a little gag about the Internet persistently asking why Thanos didn't just do exactly what T'Challa suggests he do here, redistribute and make more resources.

The second episode was much better because it told its own story but still actually reflected the Star-Lord/Yondu family theme as the Guardians movies did (especially 2)

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter are different characters.
    In keeping with the What If trope, though, this is "What If...[Peggy] Carter Were [Captain America] the First Avenger".

This holds with more than a few of the What If comics I recall from my youth...what if this character became this superhero? So while Peggy and Steve are different/start at different points, they both have to reach a similar endpoint.

For the record, I didn't care for the episode. The issues I liked best were the ones with the biggest departure from normal, not reskins of the stories. Example: What If Wolverine Were Lord of the Vampires.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

18. - Top - End - #108

So, second episode is out. Hella good fun.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I agree. This one seemed like the creators had more fun making, and I could feel that energy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Although Thanos is hanging with the good guys, he still believes his idea wasn't bad. "Efficient" comes up a lot in his explanation. It makes me think he's not exactly 'reformed', just talked out of murdering half the cosmos and didn't have any plans after that.

Howard getting a reappearance was fun.

The collector had the signature gear of The Avengers. I guess he either killed them or they were among the zoo. Yikes!
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

19. - Top - End - #109

It was definitely a bigger diversion from "canon" than the first one, though they did keep the Morag scene.

Apparently Chadwick will be in three other episodes of the show. No clue if they're planning to continue this storyline or branch out. I'm kinda hoping they don't, or at least some elements (like friendly Thanos) fade into the background a bit.

Spoiler: Ending
    Show
    Ego rising without Quill or the Avengers to stop him is an interesting consequence.

'
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #110

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    In keeping with the What If trope, though, this is "What If...[Peggy] Carter Were [Captain America] the First Avenger".
    - M
    Well yeah, but that doesn't really make sense to some of us.

The Super Soldier Serum didn't make Steve Rogers into Captain America. Steve Rogers did that by himself. Peggy Carter is not Steve Rogers. It stands more to reason that she would have done something else instead.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-08-20 at 10:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Well yeah, but that doesn't really make sense to some of us.

The Super Soldier Serum didn't make Steve Rogers into Captain America. Steve Rogers did that by himself. Peggy Carter is not Steve Rogers. It stands more to reason that she would have done something else instead.
    There are only so many ways to fight Hydra. Was she supposed to drive a lorry like the queen? Become a diplomat maybe?

She did what Steve did, taking down their labs and factories.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #112

Flumph

And she should have done it with a small team of saboteurs against the odds, reflecting the fact that she's trained as a secret agent not a soldier, not by smashing through all resistance in a montage.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-08-20 at 11:26 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

And she should have done it with a small team of saboteurs against the odds, reflecting the fact that she's trained as a secret agent not a soldier, not by smashing through all resistance in a montage.
    Steve was barely "soldier-trained" either. We get the scene of him in Basic struggling with the regimen where he gets picked out by Erskine, but he had no more field experience before becoming a super-soldier than she did.

As for "small team of saboteurs against the odds," what did you think the Howling Commandos were doing? Carrying her luggage?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #114

Flumph

Steve was barely "soldier-trained" either. We get the scene of him in Basic struggling with the regimen where he gets picked out by Erskine, but he had no more field experience before becoming a super-soldier than she did.

As for "small team of saboteurs against the odds," what did you think the Howling Commandos were doing? Carrying her luggage?
    I just said what they were doing. Smashing through everything with brute force and no resistance. There was literally no point where they were working against the odds.

There was no point in having a What If... if they weren't going to change anything about how the character acted, behaved or thought. Episode 2 is the way to do it right, Episode 1 is the way to defeat the object.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-08-20 at 12:28 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Episode 2 had a mix. Some characters changed radically, while others were pretty similar in outlook and approach to their prime counterparts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Radical changes included Tcharlord, Nebula, Thanos.

Similar included Yondu, Ego, T'chaka.

Peggy herself changed radically from her prime counterpart, she just happened to change in such a way that put her more in alignment with prime Steve Rogers. And that's reasonable, because you needed someone in that role to properly face off against Hydra. Whatever different approach you demand her to have taken wouldn't have worked against the specific objectives Hydra was pursuing.

If you still disagree with that, that's fine, I'm more than willing to drop it here and accept that we won't ever see eye to eye.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    The collector had the signature gear of The Avengers. I guess he either killed them or they were among the zoo. Yikes!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given the Collector's threats to have T'Challa dissected, those options are not mutually exclusive.

Second this. She's got a completely different background and skillset. She should logically not end up Steve Rogers 2.0.

27. - Top - End - #117

Flumph

And that's reasonable, because you needed someone in that role to properly face off against Hydra.
    Citation Needed

The idea that you need a Steve Rogers shaped hero to face off against Hydra just betrays a lack of imagination about how different scenarios and their heroes could be constructed and still carry the same themes and end in the same place.

Hell it’s in Norway, do the Norway movie. Heroes of Telemark but tentacles instead of nukes.

28. - Top - End - #118

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    The collector had the signature gear of The Avengers. I guess he either killed them or they were among the zoo. Yikes![/SPOILER]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Without Thanos nothing brought them together as the Avengers and they quit or died out alone

29. - Top - End - #119

Citation Needed

The idea that you need a Steve Rogers shaped hero to face off against Hydra just betrays a lack of imagination about how different scenarios and their heroes could be constructed and still carry the same themes and end in the same place.
    Why would they need to imagine wildly different scenarios that only you seem to have a hangup about?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #120

Flumph

Why would they need to imagine wildly different scenarios that only you seem to have a hangup about?
    Because that's the entire point of the What If format. If they don't, why bother?
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-08-20 at 09:09 PM.