New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Pax Viginti Team 1 IC [5E]

"You cannot just 'pass through' the resting place of our Mother!" she protests.

"This is a temple and a sepulcher. It belongs to us, Blood of Her Blood, and no one else."

Something of your good intent does penetrate, though, and she says warningly, "You cannot stay here. They will return soon with the rest of my sisters and the Magna Soror, and they will kill you all."
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-05 at 10:57 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Eokos sighs, rubbing the top of his head in frustration. The Inkokos on his chest mirrors him, rubbing its bushy horned head as well. "Dammit. I mean, I think there's probably a hidden door behind the south wall, where the snake's tail trails into the wall. But I do not wish to engage in unnecessary combat.

"For the record...ah, could I get your name?"
    he asks, and continues after she answers, "For the record, my guess is Zazzelbrax the Archmage set up a demiplane to connect to your world, then set up a backdoor exit to the rest of his dungeon. But, anyway--can the door we came in be opened from this side?"
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #183

DruidGirl

She looks startled that you know about the secret door, but quickly adjusts and says, "Yes! Take the passage to the highlands and go trouble the bullywugs. They are the ones who raided the vault; whatever you are seeking they must have."

She looks at the door. and frowns "Some days ago there was a great cataclysm, and since then things in our realm have been shifting. This door once blocked the way to an impenetrable vault. Only the sacred words held secret by the Powers could open it. But with the shifting, the bullywugs penetrated the vault, and made arrogant by the power they had stolen, invaded our temple. She looks smugly at the statues. "To their regret, stolen power was not enough."

"Now this door has come to here. Who knows what tomorrow will bring."

"I am Pollexia."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias listens while he incants using the wand. But when the suggestion of the secret passage is mentioned and the Medusa responds he stops incanting. "Then lets make haste to the passage. We should not linger here..." He takes a strained breath. His body still wrecked with pain. "We can rest once we have passed through...Hopefully we wont meet new foes the second we step to the other side of the passage."

5. - Top - End - #185

Chimera

"Ok, let's go. But we need to find a place to rest soon, you are in no shape to fight any longer"

He looks to the Medusa, in an angle that lets him avoid her gaze.

"Nice to meet you, Pollexia. I hope our next encounter can happen in less... deadly conditions".

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

"You have my sincerest gratitude, Pollexia. You were a vision of loveliness and compassion in our time of confusion." He gives the woman a roguish wink before he drops the Wall of Force.

Before they head down, he hops quickly over to the loot-bearing statue to the north and takes the object from its hand. Then he sprints down to the southern wall to try and find the secret passage.

7. - Top - End - #187

DruidGirl

"I wish you good luck," Pollexia says, "as long as your path does not bring you back to our temple. Now go!"

The tail appears to continue up the wall, you notice as you get closer, but it's not entirely convincing; the taper is too quick and sharp. The panel at the tip of the false tail causes the whole panel to swing out.

The tunnel beyond is dark and curves away out of sight, but appears for now to be empty.

Jeevok moves in first, ahead of the party with sword in hand, ready to attack anything that approaches. The sword also lights the dark tunnel, and reveals that it also slopes downward gently.

As Jeevok looks around the tunnel for any threats, he discovers another orb hovering in here. It is intricately carved and made of some green-black stone; a twisting snaky labyrinth covers its surface.

Spoiler: Jeevok
    Show
    It fills you with awe, as if you are looking on a sacred relic. You fell under a Hallow spell once, fighting the vampires; this is almost the exact opposite of that creeping dread. In fact, it is the same effect, but this time in your favor. It feels impossible for anything to frighten or dismay you, and although you can feel the power emanating from the orb, you sense that it means you no harm.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-08 at 10:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188

Chimera

Jeevok relays what he just learned from the orb to his teammates.

"So it seems the entire area that belonged to the Medusas and the Bullywugs was made into part of the wizard's dungeon, somehow."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Once the orb is discovered, Eokos moves forward to inspect the rest of the hallway. Down the hallway he goes, slowly inspecting the walls and floors. "Perhaps each level houses an entirely different ecosystem," he thinks out loud.

When he reaches the door, he inspects it for traps and how to open it.

10. - Top - End - #190

DruidGirl

The door is not locked; it appears that the Medusas come through from this side, and don't want to inhibit their own travel.

The door opens into... what appears to be outside. A mountain rises above you into a cloudy sky. You appear to be on a ledge, half way down a mountainside, that holds some plants and a pool of water at the bottom of a waterfall.

The pool overflows and a second waterfall drops one hundred feet down to a wetland below, where huts and shelters are built on a sea coast.

11. - Top - End - #191

Chimera

Jeevok seems down on the mountainside wall and begins to rest.

"So... this is an actual world? I was thinking we were at a demiplane. Or perhaps the demiplane connects with this world, and maybe others."

He had a very basic understanding of plane structure and the subject was confusing his mind.

"I'm not sure if we have any reason to actually mess with more medusas or those bullywugs, really. I'm thinking after we rest we should go back in and explore the doors we haven't already".

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias slumps down on the ground of the platform. Taking a deep, ragged breath as he takes in the veiw. It was quite beatiful and he could not help but smile. The open air was welcomed and it almost made him forget where they actually were. "Well...Myrddin mentioned that the wizard has creatures within the dungeon to test those that seek him out...Perhaps we must fight them all somehow in order to find the right path to his domain..." He touches his throat where the arrows had been. "I thank you both. I'm not sure I would have lived if it wasn't for your aid. But forgive me for I require rest. I understand this might delay our task but I dont think we are limited on time for this quest."

13. - Top - End - #193

DruidGirl

As you rest on the ledge, you have time to observe a number of interesting facts:

Spoiler: Bullywug Encampment
    Show
    Not long after your arrival, you begin to see bullywugs and their frog-like beasts of burden moving around in the village below. Most of them are poorly equipped, but some carry the gleam and sparkle of more powerful gear, likely stolen from the Vault. They spread into the jungle to hunt, never going far from the village, then bring their spoils back to camp. The larger portion is taken to a long house, but some of the spoils are taken to the end of a long pier and offered to the water with some ceremony.

Spoiler: Illusions
    Show
    After about ten minutes, you begin to realize that there is a subtle repetition in the vistas of surf and jungle and sky. Less than a mile from this side of the mountain, you can tell the landscape begins to take on the uniformity of magically illusory terrain. It's well done, but once you see it, you've seen it.

The ledge, this face of the mountain, the village of bullywugs and the swamp and jungle immediately around it, and a surprisingly large area of sea are real.

Spoiler: Waterfall
    Show
    The waterfall is real, both the portion before the pool and the portion spilling off of this ledge. But when you look up the waterfall rising above you, about thirty feet you see something very strange; smoke is pouring out from behind it. If you squint, you can see there is an opening beyond the spray at that height.

A little examination of the walls reveals steps chiseled out for wide amphibian feet that climb up to that spot.

Spoiler: Hieroglyphs
    Show
    Examination of the walls also reveals some bullywug hieroglyphs in several panels, on both sides of the waterfall.

PANEL ONE: Three entities (north, south, west), each presented with a rune. To the east, the same three runes on a door. The three entities seems to be a snake, ending in more snaky tendrils at one end; an array of tentacles or tendrils arising from water; a beast with wings and three heads.

PANEL TWO: This panel shows the tentacled entity summoning forth tiny upright creatures--the bullywugs?

PANEL THREE: This panel shows the tentacled entity and its creatures attacking the snakey entity. It is gigantic compared to the little figures.

PANEL FOUR: This shows the snakey entity laid to rest in a coffin pose, with a mountain raised over it. Spatters of blood are on the image.

PANEL FIVE: This shows smaller snakey creatures arising from the blood of the giant snake entity.

PANEL SIX: This shows a battle between the snakey creatures and the original upright creatures. The three-headed beast sits above and does not intervene.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Once the others have gotten their rest (thankfully, Eokos had managed to escape serious harm), the Satyr hops to his cloven feet. "I will go up to investigate the aperture of the waterfall. Be back in two shakes of a lamb's tail!"

With that, he hops up the slope, using the conveniently-placed footholds to climb up.

15. - Top - End - #195

DruidGirl

You have to climb behind the waterfall to confirm it, but it is definitely same large door you saw on fire in the central room. On this side, it is soaked from the spray of the waterfall and smoldering, producing the clouds of grey smoke that pour out, but with your visual acuity you can still make out the details. It is hot and a little hard to breath in this tunnel, though, and the door blocks the end.

You could probably kick or push open the door from the side without getting burnt if you did it quickly.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Finding the door, Eokos thinks to himself, "You got this, time to make a good first impression. No lousy door can keep me out!"

It seems a door can, in fact, keep Eokos out.

Favoring his right leg, he hops over to the edge of the opening. "Hey, guys. The door's on fire, I could use a hand busting it open."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias through prayers and meditation during his rest, heal his wounds for the coming trails. He lingers a bit as his Satyr friend explores up the waterfall. However when he hears his call for aid from up above he finaly rises to his feet and looks up, putting his hand to cover his eyes from the sun. "Hmm...I should be able to get up there no problem! Hold on my horned friend!" He shouts back up at him before he makes his way to the ledge. He then starts trying to make his way up through the help of Jeevok. Once he is up he takes a moment to look around seeing the door. "Hah! No flimsy barrier, burning or no will halt us!" He decrees as he steps up to the door and lifts up his armored boot to kick the door down.

18. - Top - End - #198

DruidGirl

With some assistance from Jeevok, Temaias makes his way up to the waterfall. Then with no assistance needed at all, he kicks the door off its hinges. Weakened by fire and water, it smashes into charred rubble on the floor.

The torches are still definitely bent too far inward, but without the flaming door, it is clear there is space to squeeze between them and return to the central room, which is still deserted.

19. - Top - End - #199

Chimera

Jeevok climbs with Temaias, helping pull him up one time when it looks like he will fall.

When they get to the top, he looks at the flaming door and starts thinking.

"Hmm... we could try to douse the fire, but it could be magical. Maybe we could try to build some kind of ram, or...?"

He watches as the dragonborn runs past him and kicks the door open.

"... or this".

Arriving at the central room, he looks at the other doors and concludes.

"Well, weren't we sidetracked. At least we know have some idea of the lore of this place, judging from those pictures. So based on what that orb told us, the Vault should be to the right, and that three-headed thing should be ahead. And we still have the paths up and down to explore. What are we checking first?"

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

"Take that, foul beast of flame and timber!" Eokos cries triumphantly as his champion defeats the damnable enemy that was the door.

When Jeevok puts his question forward, he answers, "Well, apparently the vault is behind the beaded door. Maybe we should go in there and do some pilfering?

"If we want to be fully on-task, investigating the "The Three" door would probably be the next step. They seem to be the final piece of this puzzle."

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias strikes a heroic pose at Eokos celebrating his victory and laughs triumphantly. He then follows the two indoors and listens to them discuss on what to do next. "Hmm...Maybe the three runes are the keys we need? And we get those keys by defeating these creatures in each vault? Snakes, bullywugs and the three headed beast...In any case! We can check this central door like Eokos suggested. But I am getting more and more convinced there is some challenge to this. I doubt the respective creature factions would give up their keys of power willingly."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

“I mean, if the vault is already open, I say we take a peek. Maybe it will at least hold a clue for finding the end of the dungeon.”

He realizes that it may be a silly idea. But the rat be pulled out of his hat earlier didn’t die an immediate death. Eokos goes over to the beaded door, the one that allegedly leads to the vault. Then he sticks his head through.

23. - Top - End - #203

DruidGirl

You thrust your head through into a 50 by 50 foot room, with shelves around the walls and dotted in the middle of the room with plinths. Smashed glass lies around these.

The plinths and shelves are mostly empty, and the room is dotted with dead bullywugs .They carry spears, and some have spears buried in their chests. From barrels along one wall, coin of many denominations and gemstones are scattered around the ground, and from another set of bins parchments and scrolls are spilled and tossed everywhere, much of it destroyed. There's also something a scattering of pebbles, each unique. Something like a large brass-and-wood crab is parked in one corner.

One dead bullywug lies beside a dead horse; he wears a cloak covered with patches, the ground around him littered with random objects: a rowboat, a portable ram, two small leatherbags and a saddle and saddlebags.

He is being gnawed on by two mastiffs, who look up when they see you and begin to growl.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

"Good doggies, nice doggies," Eokos murmurs, taking out his lute. He strums a tune of charming, and one of the dogs becomes his friend. The other seems confused when Eokos' new friend doesn't growl, but soon enough Eokos is playfully tugging scrollcases away from the dogs as he searches the room. He also grabs a fistful of dollars Ioun Stones, for the group to peruse, and takes the pot of sticky paste and portable boat. You never know.

As the others look at the Ioun stones, Eokos inspects the walls for secret doors that must be there. And, lo and behold, there is! A secret door exists in the southern wall, trying to hide from Eokos' discerning eyes. "Hey, guys, I found a secret room," he says, motioning for the others to come to him. Once they're near, he opens the secret door.

25. - Top - End - #205

Chimera

Jeevok tries to not let anyone know he found the dogs cute, but he can't help it. They are really cute. He spends some time petting them.

After he and the others enter the secret room, Jeevok sees the large orb. He wonder if it is some type of communication device, or maybe a clairvoyance one. He shouts Zazzelbrax's name.

The orbs shows him a scene suggesting it is a key to some other place.

"Guys, looks like this orb is a key to some other room in this dungeon. Can we grab it?"

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias nods towards Jeevok and grabs the orb.

27. - Top - End - #207

DruidGirl

The moment you lay hands on the orb, all three runes flare, and you feel incredible agony run through your body. You take no damage, but the orb feels impossibly heavy as your hands tremble and seem to lose all strength.

At the same time, the door slams shut behind you all, plunging the room into dim light from only the runes and the magical displays on the apparatuses lining the walls. In the darkness, grotesque things move in the tanks, and the displays begin to shift and cycle.

Spoiler: Temaias
    Show
    You feel magic probe at your consciousness, searching for a way in. Finally, an (illusion of an) old man seems to form out of thin air, the same old man whose face is on several of the monstrosities in the tanks. This version of him has a normal humanoid body, although it is strong and massive beyond all proportion with the wizened face on the shoulders, like a scarecrow with a turnip for a head.

"I am Zazzlebrax the Enchanter. If you were my friend you'd know the password," says the old man in a querulous voice. "And if you had legitimate business you'd have gotten the password. So I can only assume you're an intruder. If you are worth my time can only be determined one way... and if you are not worth my time, you have earned death, so that's all very tidy."

Of the various displays cycling down around the room, the fifth one, on the far wall, runs through the fastest. All the lights turn green, hoses detach, and the glass cylinder slides up, allowing a boneless, almost shapeless creature to spill into the room. The squid-like monster has not yet grown to its full size; its actual body and mantle is merely Large, but the mass of groping tentacles around it takes up the space of a Huge creature, and it can reach the full length of the room easily.

Thankfully, it is NOT one of the creatures carrying Zazzlebrax's own face. It does look quite a bit like the hieroglyphs the bullywugs made of their god. Just smaller. It opens its beaked maw in an awful screech, and lightning bursts from the air, striking you all and playing over the tanks on the walls with various effects of shattered alembics, cracks in tanks, and flickering displays.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Make a Dexterity saving throw and take 21 damage on a failure, or 10 on a success. Temaias rolls at disadvantage as he is paralyzed until he releases the orb.
    Last edited by TriciaOso; 2021-08-15 at 08:29 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

"What the hell! It's cool, I'm from the same place as you guys!" Eokos yells even as he strums on his lute to grant him and his allies blessed energy.

"Temaias! Shake off whatever hold it has on you and fight! We must stand strong now!"

Show
    Action: Bless on all three of us, +1d4 to attack rolls and saves

Bonus action: Inspiration on Temaias.

Move action: Meh

29. - Top - End - #209

Chimera

Jeevok ignores the tentacles and moves straight to the main body, attacking it with his Sun Blade. Realizing the beast could deal a lot of damage to his party if it starts moving those tentacles, he positions himself as close to its eyes as he can, in order to intimidate it.

Show
    Action: Attack

Rolls: 25/18/22
    Damage: 11/11/12 (not counting radiant which I assume doesn't apply)

Menacing Attack: 6 damage

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Temaias head is thrown back as he is wracked with the pain from touching the orb. Completely helpless as then the electricity from the monster washes over him causing convulsions in his muscles and his armor to sizzle with heat. His hand however lets go of the orb with a jerk as he crumbles to one knee. He breathes heavily as the monster draws near and his allies wasting no time to engage. He hears the words of Eokos echo through the haze of his thoughts as he collects himself.

However Temaias then clutches the platinum symbol around his neck and suddenly he is wrapped with a blue radiant light, dancing like flames before taking shape. As he slowly stands the energy forms itself in to mighty draconic wings that unfurls behind him, a mighty tail extends and slams the ground, around his body an armor of energy shaped like scales, his arms wrapped in claws and around his head the visage of a true dragon. His aura completely changes to that of a true being of the higher planes. His eyes glow with divine might and he finally bellows at the beast. "Challenge accepted, Enchanter!"

He raises his blade as it is covered in the same energy and with reckless abandon strikes the beast as he advances. Cutting his way through the tentacles before thrusting his blade deep in to its main body. "EOKOS! Is the creature immune to cold!?" He cries back to his ally between his strikes, assuming the bard would be more knowledgeable in this matter.

Spoiler: ACTIONS
    Show
    Will stay where I am, the whole advancing part was just flavor.
    Will cast tashas otherworldy form as a bonus action (Upper Planes)
    Will then Attack twice with my Action
    Saving my Reaction for counterspell, absorb elements or shield.
    Last edited by Nyan; 2021-08-15 at 08:09 PM.