Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Black Widow

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Black Widow

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Fights were kind of weak overall in this film. I never really understood the point between Nat and Yelena's original fight. Like...Yelena had to have sent those vials to Nat. With zero explanation. What's the motivation for them to attempt to kill each other? Both want something from the other that isn't a dead body.

And then you have the giant falling sky fortress that kills all of the bad guys and zero of the good guys, and the "reveal" of taskmasker which was just obvious at this point, and then we skip the interesting confrontation with Ross.

Agreed. Hadn’t really thought about the first one, but it does kind of feel like they threw it in just so they could use it in the trailers.

Spoiler
    Show

Maybe if Nat had showed up wearing one of those facemask disguises it would have worked better?

But as for blaming the director, that may be pretty fair. I usually spread blame around, but these actors are fairly known quantities who routinely do a good job. The director, on the other hand, has made...pretty much nothing. A couple of TV episodes, a single direct to TV movie, a couple of shorts. Jumping up to directing a Blockbuster without doing some more work on smaller films was probably a mistake.
    *shrug* I’ll be happy to spread it to the writers or Feige or anyone else responsible, it’s just that so far the director is the only one I’ve seen come out and say ‘yes, that terrible idea was mine.’

I’d be more forgiving if it were due to a scheduling conflict, or someone getting sick or other things outside of the production’s direct control, but to leave that jarring transition in there on purpose was a shocking display of ineptitude in an MCU movie.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    The emotional and narrative core of the movie centers around the family unit, and BW seemed to be the one with the less emotional investment of the four. She's the most well adjusted, she's developed a large network of friends outside of this unit.

Compared to the other three, she's the one who "made it out". So some people would point out her personal arc was less involving than the other 3, sadly
    You're right, her arc here is less involved than Yelena's, but that doesn't make her a secondary character. This is like saying Bucky is a secondary character in Civil War and FATWS because Sam, Steve and Tony had bigger arcs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    You're right, her arc here is less involved than Yelena's, but that doesn't make her a secondary character. This is like saying Bucky is a secondary character in Civil War and FATWS because Sam, Steve and Tony had bigger arcs.
    if anything, I would argue she's the PoV character. We learn everything at her pace, and with certain notable exceptions that play right into her character beat of "I meant to do that", we know everything she knows.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Maybe if Nat had showed up wearing one of those facemask disguises it would have worked better?
    Spoiler
    Show
    That would have helped, I think. And also served as foreshadowing for later...though honestly the trick later was more to fool the audience than anyone else. Not a great deal was accomplished by the ruse.

Natasha is a secondary character, despite soloing both the Dragon and the Big Bad? That's... a take I suppose.
    Who is the primary character or characters is certainly about a great deal more than who they beat up. Narrative arc, focus, and how much each character gets to do. Also...agency.

Spoiler
    Show

Yelena kicks off the plot. Yes, she involves Black Widow to do so, but ultimately she discovers the red vials, and she's the one with information and a mission. She pulls Black Widow into her story, not vice versa.

Now, does Nat also have a connection? Sure. But Yelena is arguably the central character.

This may be intentional, in that Disney plans to transition to her as the new Black Widow. A lot of recent plot has been done specifically with the intention of lining up replacements for actors that have been in the MCU for quite some time.

5. - Top - End - #65

if anything, I would argue she's the PoV character. We learn everything at her pace, and with certain notable exceptions that play right into her character beat of "I meant to do that", we know everything she knows.
    Agreed

Who is the primary character or characters is certainly about a great deal more than who they beat up. Narrative arc, focus, and how much each character gets to do. Also...agency.
    Right, but the antagonists in a film like this are the physical embodiment of the external and internal conflicts facing the hero. Overcoming them in a fight is the culmination of that arc and the resolution of the narrative question.

Spoiler
    Show

Yelena kicks off the plot. Yes, she involves Black Widow to do so, but ultimately she discovers the red vials, and she's the one with information and a mission. She pulls Black Widow into her story, not vice versa.

Now, does Nat also have a connection? Sure. But Yelena is arguably the central character.

This may be intentional, in that Disney plans to transition to her as the new Black Widow. A lot of recent plot has been done specifically with the intention of lining up replacements for actors that have been in the MCU for quite some time.
    This logic is pretty odd to me. In New Hope, Leia pulls Luke into her story, she's the one who discovers the Death Star plans, she's the one with the information and a mission. By your reasoning, Luke is the secondary character, which doesn't make sense.

This outing was absolutely Yelena's debut, and I don't think this story has just one primary character. But concluding that Natasha isn't, doesn't work for me.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed

Right, but the antagonists in a film like this are the physical embodiment of the external and internal conflicts facing the hero. Overcoming them in a fight is the culmination of that arc and the resolution of the narrative question.

This logic is pretty odd to me. In New Hope, Leia pulls Luke into her story, she's the one who discovers the Death Star plans, she's the one with the information and a mission. By your reasoning, Luke is the secondary character, which doesn't make sense.

This outing was absolutely Yelena's debut, and I don't think this story has just one primary character. But concluding that Natasha isn't, doesn't work for me.
    I mean, Leia would be the main character, but they made her the damsel in distress (she needed to be rescued).

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I mean, Leia would be the main character, but they made her the damsel in distress (she needed to be rescued).
    I'm not even talking about "main" though, just primary vs secondary. Movies can have more than one primary - see Neo and Trinity, or Elsa and Anna, or Ian and Barley, or Luke and Han, or Tony and Steve, etc. You could argue for one of a given pair being the "main" character, but both are primary.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not even talking about "main" though, just primary vs secondary. Movies can have more than one primary - see Neo and Trinity, or Elsa and Anna, or Ian and Barley, or Luke and Han, or Tony and Steve, etc. You could argue for one of a given pair being the "main" character, but both are primary.
    Ah, so Thor Darkworld: would you say Loki is a primary?
    I mean, he does get a few scenes of his own? And his actions are important for the story to progress.

Although, it would likely be Thor and Jane.

9. - Top - End - #69

Ah, so Thor Darkworld: would you say Loki is a primary?
    I mean, he does get a few scenes of his own? And his actions are important for the story to progress.

Although, it would likely be Thor and Jane.
    In Dark World? Yes, Loki is absolutely a primary character in that film.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Does that make Han a damsel in ROTJ?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Does that make Han a damsel in ROTJ?
    Was there any doubt.
    Leia became a primary character in that one, no longer needing saving.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Was there any doubt.
    Leia became a primary character in that one, no longer needing saving.
    I mean, I disagree with you in both cases. Just because a character is captured and then rescued does not render them a "damsel". Both Han and Leia played other, more important roles in both movies.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I mean, I disagree with you in both cases. Just because a character is captured and then rescued does not render them a "damsel". Both Han and Leia played other, more important roles in both movies.
    Actually, now that I think about it, is there any point to Han's presence in Jedi beside the fact we like him and we like to hear him bounce with the other characters, there's no real importance to his character in that story.

The closest contribution he has to the plan is the deception to open the bunker doors, and it's more of a post-climax shennanigan than actually turning the tide of battle. Chewbacca was a lot more material to the flow of the movie than Han Solo.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, now that I think about it, is there any point to Han's presence in Jedi beside the fact we like him and we like to hear him bounce with the other characters, there's no real importance to his character in that story.

The closest contribution he has to the plan is the deception to open the bunker doors, and it's more of a post-climax shennanigan than actually turning the tide of battle. Chewbacca was a lot more material to the flow of the movie than Han Solo.
    He did have his romantic arc with Leia to complete.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

He did have his romantic arc with Leia to complete.
    The only part of that arc that wasn't completed was his own insecurity about Luke and Leia's closeness and the impostor syndrome he felt.

'cause his very first scene of the movie was Leia professing her love for him the moment he woke up

Edit: spoilers, sorry
    Last edited by Cikomyr2; 2021-07-17 at 01:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

It would have been out of character for Luke and Leia to leave Han behind after ESB, and once they rescued him he needed to be involved somehow. Really I think he should have been in the Millennium Falcon with Lando, and Leia should have gotten a bit more spotlight leading troops on the ground.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    It would have been out of character for Luke and Leia to leave Han behind after ESB, and once they rescued him he needed to be involved somehow. Really I think he should have been in the Millennium Falcon with Lando, and Leia should have gotten a bit more spotlight leading troops on the ground.
    Well, if you kept Harrison Ford, you want him to be nearly devoured by natives

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Last edited by JadedDM; 2021-07-17 at 04:17 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

I gotta say that the whole premise of

Spoiler
    Show

Dreykov and the Red Room still being in operation because Natasha didn't confirm her kill

was borderline insulting for Natasha.

Spoiler
    Show

We've seen she's hyper competent otherwise, so it seems rather wildly out of character. Especially with the whole 'never found the body' cliche.

More than that, even if she was unable or unwilling to check for Dreykov's corpse, why didn't SHIELD (or anyone else associated with the side she was trying to join) check? Sure we know, with the benefit of multiple movies, that Natasha was sincere in her desire to join the good guys, but no one in their right mind should just assume she's being honest about it, she's a super spy! Moreover, Dreykov still being alive and running the Red Room could have caused lots of problems for SHIELD (and Hydra, too, since it was their data the Red Guardian stole they're apparently not allied with the Red Room) - they had no way of knowing in advance Dreykov was going to avoid messing with them to avoid attention. So even if they were planning to punt Natasha into a volcano immediately afterwards and didn't care about her loyalties at all, they should have checked.

The only reason for this to happen was to spare Dreykov, but they could have easily killed him off in the backstory and had the guy running the whole mess be his brother instead, or maybe his son - he only shows up for maybe fifteen minutes in the whole movie!

The more I think about this movie, the worse it gets.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Dreykov and the Red Room still being in operation because Natasha didn't confirm her kill

Spoiler
    Show

We've seen she's hyper competent otherwise, so it seems rather wildly out of character. Especially with the whole 'never found the body' cliche.

More than that, even if she was unable or unwilling to check for Dreykov's corpse, why didn't SHIELD (or anyone else associated with the side she was trying to join) check? Sure we know, with the benefit of multiple movies, that Natasha was sincere in her desire to join the good guys, but no one in their right mind should just assume she's being honest about it, she's a super spy! Moreover, Dreykov still being alive and running the Red Room could have caused lots of problems for SHIELD (and Hydra, too, since it was their data the Red Guardian stole they're apparently not allied with the Red Room) - they had no way of knowing in advance Dreykov was going to avoid messing with them to avoid attention. So even if they were planning to punt Natasha into a volcano immediately afterwards and didn't care about her loyalties at all, they should have checked.

The only reason for this to happen was to spare Dreykov, but they could have easily killed him off in the backstory and had the guy running the whole mess be his brother instead, or maybe his son - he only shows up for maybe fifteen minutes in the whole movie!

There is an explanation, but it's not necessarily a good or satisfactory explanation

Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't they immediately were in the run for 10 days, fighting off loads of security agents, and that fight was what BW refers to as "Budapest"

Like.. They had one shot and then book it and go dark immediately.

21. - Top - End - #81

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    It was out of character, but it was supposed to be out of character. Nat was so traumatized from killing a child that she didn't act as competent as she normally does. As for Shield, I'm guessing Dreykov immediately went off the grid and stopped making moves that would get him caught until now. Since he apparently saw Nat's plan coming, maybe he had decoy corpses prepared ahead of time to fool anyone who checked.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I thought this was a good movie and am glad that I went to see it at the theater*. The actions scenes were well done, the character interactions between the "family" members were good, David Harbour was funny, and it did a good job addressing the dark parts of her backstory without wallowing in grimdark. I would rate this in the top half of MCU movies, though I will probably need to see it again to figure out where I wish to place.

*-Disclaimer: I like the theater experience and generally prefer to see movies in theater rather than stream them.

23. - Top - End - #83

There is an explanation, but it's not necessarily a good or satisfactory explanation

Spoiler
    Show
    Didn't they immediately were in the run for 10 days, fighting off loads of security agents, and that fight was what BW refers to as "Budapest"

Like.. They had one shot and then book it and go dark immediately.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was out of character, but it was supposed to be out of character. Nat was so traumatized from killing a child that she didn't act as competent as she normally does. As for Shield, I'm guessing Dreykov immediately went off the grid and stopped making moves that would get him caught until now. Since he apparently saw Nat's plan coming, maybe he had decoy corpses prepared ahead of time to fool anyone who checked.
    These. Between the

Spoiler
    Show
    immediate and prolonged need to go into hiding, and the guilt over murdering a child

Nat was understandably off her game.

Ehh I'm not sure anyone had much to do in RotJ other than Luke and Vader. It really wasn't a good movie.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-07-18 at 01:36 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Agreed

Spoiler
    Show

Taskmasker is largely only held off and then unmasked and freed from mind control. I think the mind control in particular makes it difficult to frame Taskmasker as her nemesis...also the lack of history between them.

The big prison fight, Black Widow honestly doesn't do much. She drops out of the helicopter, punches a lot of guards, and then goes back into the helicopter. She's certainly no more central to the fight than Yelena is. In any case, it feels more like "we needed a fight scene here" than a significant character moment for anyone.

The Black Widow vs Yelena fight is just odd and doesn't really support either. Neither's motivated to kill the other, and there isn't really a need for either to defeat the other long term. I'm not sure it fits either narrative.

Ergo, the final boss is Drakov.

Drakov is killed by Yelena. He escapes Black Widow, and Yelena takes the aircraft down by destroying its engine.

Spoiler
    Show

Sort of. Leia is absolutely a main character. That said, the plans discovery is an offscreen thing. Just as it was for the nameless Widow that exposed Yelena to it. The nameless Widow isn't the protagonist, despite having made the discovery and presumably wanting to do something with it. We *see* Yelena learn of it.

Leia, if she only did the initial kickoff of the movie, would be in this role...but she has enough screen time, agency and goals that she absolutely does become a main character. If she didn't need to be rescued so much, she certainly would have been the singular main character. They're reasonably well balanced in the original Star Wars, but I'd argue that we don't see the same even balance in most films, to include newer star wars movies, where some stories, like poor Finn's, become distinctly secondary.

I don't think Nat was pushed out to that same degree, but Yelena definitely has more of these things than Nat does.

Neo's the protagonist, Trinity is not.

Someone can be important to the story without being a primary character.

In terms of which is the main character in the MCU, well, that demands on the movie. In Infinity War, it was Thanos. He's the protagonist. Everyone else is secondary at best.

Han is absolutely a secondary character. A very popular one, absolutely, but he tends to function as the cavalry, not as the protagonist. Even in famous duos, there's often one character that takes the lead. It's not strictly necessary all of time, and pretty much every rule has an exception if you dig hard enough, but it is remarkably common. Even in documentaries, it's common to focus on singular people who were influential decision makers driving the events. It's a structure for stories that seems pretty baked in to humanity.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2021-07-19 at 09:37 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Drakov is killed by Yelena. He escapes Black Widow, and Yelena takes the aircraft down by destroying its engine.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can’t help but think that if they’d switched Yelena and Nat around for some of this it would have improved the movie. Have Yelena in the fight with the mind controlled Widows, because she’s not guaranteed to survive the movie, and then the fight has some actual tension. Have Nat save her with the antidote grenade, then kill Dreykov. They can even keep Nat’s entire conversation with Dreykov if they have Yelena intercept the Widow squad before they get to her.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Mmm, that's not a bad change. Yeah, I definitely think that would increase tension.

27. - Top - End - #87

Spoiler
    Show
    I can’t help but think that if they’d switched Yelena and Nat around for some of this it would have improved the movie. Have Yelena in the fight with the mind controlled Widows, because she’s not guaranteed to survive the movie, and then the fight has some actual tension. Have Nat save her with the antidote grenade, then kill Dreykov. They can even keep Nat’s entire conversation with Dreykov if they have Yelena intercept the Widow squad before they get to her.
    I wouldn't have minded this reversal either - but it wouldn't have really helped anything, since
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yelena was ALSO guaranteed to survive the movie. We already knew going in that she'd be reprising her role in Hawkeye.

Spoiler
    Show

Taskmasker is largely only held off and then unmasked and freed from mind control. I think the mind control in particular makes it difficult to frame Taskmasker as her nemesis...also the lack of history between them.

The big prison fight, Black Widow honestly doesn't do much. She drops out of the helicopter, punches a lot of guards, and then goes back into the helicopter. She's certainly no more central to the fight than Yelena is. In any case, it feels more like "we needed a fight scene here" than a significant character moment for anyone.

The Black Widow vs Yelena fight is just odd and doesn't really support either. Neither's motivated to kill the other, and there isn't really a need for either to defeat the other long term. I'm not sure it fits either narrative.

I'm not sure where you got "nemesis" from anything I said. The words I used were antagonist and dragon, neither of which require someone to be a nemesis.

Big Bad fits the bill, but we're in agreement about who that is here, so I'm not seeing the source of the disconnect.

Neo's the protagonist, Trinity is not.

Someone can be important to the story without being a primary character.
    Once again, "the protagonist" and "primary character" are not synonyms.

Han is absolutely a secondary character.
    Agree to disagree.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't have minded this reversal either - but it wouldn't have really helped anything, since
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yelena was ALSO guaranteed to survive the movie. We already knew going in that she'd be reprising her role in Hawkeye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I'd imagine that substantially more people have watched Endgame than have looked at casting for Hawkeye.

I'm not sure where you got "nemesis" from anything I said. The words I used were antagonist and dragon, neither of which require someone to be a nemesis.

Big Bad fits the bill, but we're in agreement about who that is here, so I'm not seeing the source of the disconnect.
    The distinction is not important here. We're in agreement that winning the big final battle against the big boss is generally one of the hallmarks of the primary characters in film. I don't disagree with you about that.

Spoiler
    Show
    The fact that it's Yelena that gets the kill means that your own argument is an argument in favor of her being the primary character.

Once again, "the protagonist" and "primary character" are not synonyms.
    Literally the first thing you'll find for the definition of protagonist is "leading character", so I'm not sure what you're hoping to parse out of this.

You can certainly have multiple protagonists, but it's uncommon. The vast majority of movies have exactly one. Other roles may be considered important, either to the plot, or because they cast a star, or whatever else, but the story isn't about them in the same way that it's about the protagonist. To use your example, the Matrix is the story of Neo, not Trinity. We see her story only where it overlaps with his. We see his story where it doesn't overlap with hers. Without Neo, there's literally no story. Trinity's role is akin to Agent Smith or Morpheus's. Relatively important secondary characters who illustrate how this world works through their relationship with the main character.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2021-07-19 at 12:44 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Eh, I'd imagine that substantially more people have watched Endgame than have looked at casting for Hawkeye.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hadn't seen the cast list for Hawkeye, but I still assumed Yelena would replace Nat as Black Widow and would therefore have to live.

The distinction is not important here. We're in agreement that winning the big final battle against the big boss is generally one of the hallmarks of the primary characters in film. I don't disagree with you about that.

Spoiler
    Show
    The fact that it's Yelena that gets the kill means that your own argument is an argument in favor of her being the primary character.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yelena gets the kill, but Nat is the one that directly confronts him, overcomes his "invincibility", and foils his evil plan. Dreykov is already defeated, Yelena just finishes him off.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I hadn't seen the cast list for Hawkeye, but I still assumed Yelena would replace Nat as Black Widow and would therefore have to live.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's fair I suppose. I have to admit, I don't expect a lot of lasting deaths from any of the heroes in MCU films unless it's specifically due to a casting swap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yelena gets the kill, but Nat is the one that directly confronts him, overcomes his "invincibility", and foils his evil plan. Dreykov is already defeated, Yelena just finishes him off.
    Spoiler
    Show

The "invincibility" thing was pretty dodgy. Also, doesn't seem to affect Yelena in any way. That whole thing feels...confused. In any case, Dreykov is not yet defeated there. He makes his escape, and clearly has the ability to control others, as seen by Taskmaster still being under his control, and the widows needing to be freed via the red vials. By the time he exits the fight with Nat, she has only delayed him, not actually defeated him.

One could say the same thing about Taskmaster, in that Black Widow only ends the fight, Taskmaster was primarily fought by Red Guardian, etc. It feels weak, though. Red Guardian is clearly not a primary character, and he's mostly just participating in fights because, well, he's there, he needs to be in the fights because it wouldn't make sense otherwise. It's not really about him, and it's not really his victory even if he did help lay the groundwork.

The same is true for both.

Now, yeah, Nat is closer to the narrative than Red Guardian, he's clearly the less central character of the two, but Yelena is definitely closer still.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2021-07-19 at 02:47 PM.