New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1240 - The Discussion Thread

Belkar can throw rocks at Sunny. It might get Serini mauled by a tiger in a few years.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    In terms of helping the Order - is this just about Haley's bow? With the magic off, V is "a fragile pointy-eared monkey", and the rest are basically melee-only (plus, Durkon & Minrah could see anyway). With the possible exception of better chances to dodge bolts, can anyone else do anything they couldn't already?
    Well, it's better than pissing in the dark that's for sure. Also Belkar's pretty decent at throwing daggers.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    Well looks like bl/winking isn't a free action.
    My guess is what Haley did would work by using a readied action mechanically? Not sure if that can interrupt a free action or not, though.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Perform, on the other hand, doesn't have any ability to influence people's behavior.
    Sure it does. What is Performing for money, if not using the Perform skill to influence people into giving you money? (Disclaimer: I only know of Performing for money from 5e, so I don’t know whether it exists in 3.5e or not.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    They're actually wagering G P's from monster-san's scrabble stash.
    See what I quoted here: Quotes from Fyraltari
    Also this post from Fyraltari.
    See this post from Mortsdeer.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    A bard using the power of words, and words alone, to solve a problem. That's well played, well role-played, and good story telling.

And Serini seems worried - as well she should be.

EDIT: She should be worried because action economy is a thing that matters a lot in D&D. There's going to be a whole lot of people doing creative things, even if they can't cast spells.
    I was going to point out that she's letting either tunnel vision or sunk cost fallacy cloud her actions - After seeing Haley's reflex dodge the first couple shots, she should have shifted to taking down the supporting party members. Making sure the casters go stay down in case something happens to their AM should have been a higher priority, and Serini's wasted enough darts/bolts on Haley that she could have taken down half of the remaining party members instead.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Bluff isn't only about lying. It can also be used to make someone react as you wish for a short time, which is exactly what's happening here. Perform, on the other hand, doesn't have any ability to influence people's behavior.
    Could it be a somewhat unconventional intimidate (Demoralize Opponent) check?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    "monologue about cutting onions.
    Chop, chop"!
    "Belkar, save the puns for Elan!" Yes, I know he's unconscious, but that's probably what he'd say.

Aside from Sunny talking about their powerful imagination, I think that was my favorite part!

Personally, I think this is Elan's battle to win. It needs to be won with words, not blades.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bellerophon View Post
    Could it be a somewhat unconventional intimidate (Demoralize Opponent) check?
    It's more like a feint or diversion in combat. That sort of situation is fully covered by the bluff skill since you can use it to cause a diversion and even hide after the bluff works. Except instead of saying "What's that?" and pointing to the ceiling, the bard tells a story and gets a blink. Plus, Elan is a Dashing Swordsman and should have at least 9 or more ranks in Bluff. Haley stole the show with his potion of glibness, it'd be a shame if Elan never got to show off his bluff skills.

Or his Perform (comedy) ranks.

"There's a shortage of perfect jests in the world. T'would be a shame to lose yours."

Anyway, great strip! Loved every panel, title, and winky face.
    I never knew I wanted a set of beholder emojis until now.
    Last edited by DLcygnet; 2021-07-14 at 12:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That was downright evil.
    My respect Elan.
    Now excuse me, it still feels like there's something in my eyes.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MartianInvader View Post
    I can't wait to see Roy's reaction later when they tell him how Elan saved the day.
    They've both grown quite a bit. Roy has asked Elan for advice recently. At this point, I think it's possible that Roy wouldn't be surprised by such news.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

By the course of that speech, I was expecting Elan or Haley to put some dirt in Sunny's eye.
    Last edited by Precure; 2021-07-14 at 01:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    They've both grown quite a bit. Roy has asked Elan for advice recently. At this point, I think it's possible that Roy wouldn't be surprised by such news.
    Maybe not shocked, but still more impressive/unexpected than, say, Durkon or Haley. At least to Roy.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Of all the potential things that could save the day, a flare arrow (that Serini can extinguish in any number of ways as soon as her round is up) was the one you grabbed first?
    Eh, hopefully there was some sleight of hand involved and Haley managed to pocket something else real quick.
    Now she can see to shoot him in the eye though. That should be enough for the elaborate turnaround.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #73
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #1240 - The Discussion Thread

How fun is to be fully competent, Elan?

"I have no feelings on viewing you. You are largely irrelevant."
    "Yeah, a lot of that early stuff doesn't hold up"
    "Yeah, Yeah. You're a very clever boy."
    "…My reasons are my own."

14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Unclear. The potion of glibness in #767 has a label saying “+30 to Bluff” and it “only works on things that aren't true”, so it seems like Bluff is only about lies in the OotS universe.
    Glibness adds +30 to Bluff, but it only when using Bluff to make people believe things that aren't true.

The same page here also lists examples of other uses of Bluff (which the spell doesn't help with), one of which is to communicate a hidden message via innuendo, which is presumably what Elan is doing here.

15. - Top - End - #75

RedWizardGuy

In terms of helping the Order - is this just about Haley's bow? With the magic off, V is "a fragile pointy-eared monkey", and the rest are basically melee-only (plus, Durkon & Minrah could see anyway). With the possible exception of better chances to dodge bolts, can anyone else do anything they couldn't already?
    Assuming I was a member of the order and not an omniscience viewer of their adventures, turning the lights back on seems like a good first step! How are they to know it won't do a lot to help?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

True, though V is still pretty intelligent and they could thus probably come up with something to figure it out. Plus, Minrah might surprise us. She IS a Fighter after all as well as a Cleric so she could have a couple tricks up her sleeve that someone like Durkon may not have

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    By the course of that speech, I was expecting Elan or Haley to put some dirt in Sunny's eye.
    by panel 3/4 i thought Elan assumed Sunny is from the South, which isn't far fetched near the north pole, and was inducing home sickness, tears and blinking. Imagine sand in your eyes feels almost blunt ^^

The "you know how robust my imagination is" is a nice wink at the beho... multi-eyed-monster fluff.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    That kind of bull**** is the exact reason why RPGs are played with a game master.
    In the ideal case, yes.

I just noticed that in panel 2, Serini loosed a bolt (it has left the rail of her hand crossbow) but I didn't see it in any of the other panels. (We see her unloaded hand crossbow in panel 5).
    I wonder where it went. I have a mental image of a dart bouncing off of Minrah's armor, off screen.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-07-14 at 02:03 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ugh, now I have the urge to blink hard too. Too bad Belkar still doesn’t have a chance to unleash the beast here.

Peelee’s Lotsey

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hmm, both the casters were suspiciously out of the strip... Wonder what they did in the blink of an eye (pun completely intended)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShinigamiKenji View Post
    Hmm, both the casters were suspiciously out of the strip... Wonder what they did in the blink of an eye (pun completely intended)
    Considering what AMFs do, "be useless" seems legit.

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ivrytwr View Post
    Elan being effective intentionally, kind of brings a tear to my eye.
    Oh, I see what you did there. If we were in Erfworld, I'd tip that pun a schmucker.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bloodfeast when? Chop chop, let's go

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkain View Post
    Bloodfeast when? Chop chop, let's go
    With Bloodfeast, it's chomp chomp.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Technically the air's cut off from the outside whether or not the magic's intact.
    i would have to assume this has been THOROUGHLY discussed since bloodfeast was put in the bag in the first place? i only stop by to read a few pages of discussion and contribute a bit. o.o
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks Giant!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by DLcygnet View Post
    It's more like a feint or diversion in combat. That sort of situation is fully covered by the bluff skill since you can use it to cause a diversion and even hide after the bluff works. Except instead of saying "What's that?" and pointing to the ceiling, the bard tells a story and gets a blink. Plus, Elan is a Dashing Swordsman and should have at least 9 or more ranks in Bluff. Haley stole the show with his potion of glibness, it'd be a shame if Elan never got to show off his bluff skills.

Or his Perform (comedy) ranks.

"There's a shortage of perfect jests in the world. T'would be a shame to lose yours."

Anyway, great strip! Loved every panel, title, and winky face.
    I never knew I wanted a set of beholder emojis until now.
    That's a fan made page you're linking to for Elan to have bluff. It's not official, it doesn't say anything about what Elan's skills are in the comic. It says, somewhere, there is a fan who cared enough to write a prestige class based on the comic and that fan thinks it needs nine ranks of bluff. It says nothing about what Rich Burlew thinks it needs or about what was actually in the fictional third party splat that Julian found the class in.

28. - Top - End - #88

Elan has true grit.

29. - Top - End - #89

Bluff isn't only about lying. It can also be used to make someone react as you wish for a short time, which is exactly what's happening here. Perform, on the other hand, doesn't have any ability to influence people's behavior.
    Yes, it does? An entertaining performance is going to cause people to stop, stare, applaud, cry, or even attempt to join in themselves. The "make someone react as you wish" bit for Bluff is clearly implying that it can be used for threats and extortion, not evoking mental images through a well-crafted story or reminiscnce.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Well, it's better than pissing in the dark that's for sure. Also Belkar's pretty decent at throwing daggers.
    Or he could just throw Mr. Scruffy. I expect a cat to the eyeball would have the required effect without escalating the conflict unnecessarily.