New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1240 - The Discussion Thread

IIRC (my days of 3.5 optimization are long behind me), any shrunken cone worn as a hat will work to block the effect of AMF. I think lead is traditionally used so that once the Shrink Item is suppressed you're also protected from other spells that are blocked by lead.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    Call me Hero,

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ff7hero View Post
    IIRC (my days of 3.5 optimization are long behind me), any shrunken cone worn as a hat will work to block the effect of AMF. I think lead is traditionally used so that once the Shrink Item is suppressed you're also protected from other spells that are blocked by lead.
    It's also probably stronger than something like paper or fabric, which might buy you the time to 'port out before they break your hat.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I doubt an umbrella blocks anti magic.

But I’m not sure if there’s an official table of materials and effects describing what stops what. I think you just have to guess.

Like:

Stone blocks fire
    Lead blocks detection
    Umbrella blocks anti magic
    Etc…
    With beholders and the magic literally coming from their eyes, anything physical blocking line of site blocks line of effect has always been my understanding. The lead hat idea wouldn't work because it is worn and thus part of you - when you get hit everything part of "you" for saving throw purposes (i.e. everything worn and carried) gets shut down too, so its not like any magic items you have on your back keep working when you get hit from the front. But if the party huddled up to give Belkar enough cover he might be able to get his bag open, but with the Beholder above them aiming approximately straight down, that is hard to do.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
    With beholders and the magic literally coming from their eyes, anything physical blocking line of site blocks line of effect has always been my understanding. The lead hat idea wouldn't work because it is worn and thus part of you - when you get hit everything part of "you" for saving throw purposes (i.e. everything worn and carried) gets shut down too, so its not like any magic items you have on your back keep working when you get hit from the front. But if the party huddled up to give Belkar enough cover he might be able to get his bag open, but with the Beholder above them aiming approximately straight down, that is hard to do.
    What if the umbrella is reflective and made of lead?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Last_Riot View Post
    What if the umbrella is reflective and made of lead?
    What if it’s a tiny little umbrella with enlarge object cast on it, and it gets tiny in an anti magic field?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Does Daylight create UV radiation? If so, why does it waste energy generating non-visible parts of the spectrum?
    Well, if it didn't do the whole spectrum, then it'd just be Light, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I'll admit to fishing around for the boring answer (if I was more creative, there'd be a fun answer). But I would say being fussy about he laws of thermodynamics is more important in this case than 99% of magical non-sense. This is applying an infinite force to a PC's body in a game that generally contrives to make PCs durable and give a chance to avoid serious damage.
    Tesla talked about tapping into cosmic energies, which sounded (and still kinda does) like magic.

We are just now starting to see wireless chargers. But we've been harnessing these cosmic energies for a while, now: solar pannels, radios, wifi, satellite phones, all examples of old tech "creating" something "out of thin air".

Now think about what happens when you mix corn starch and water. Without pressure, the right solution will be pretty fluid. Apply a bit of pressure, such as clenching it in your hand or stepping on it, and suddenly it becomes (mostly) solid.

Magic is really not much of a stretch from real-world physics. The right motions with the right catalysts drawing upon existing intangible forces to produce fantastical effects is pretty close to some recent and upcoming tech.

In other words... does magic break conservation of energy? Well, only if you want it to, rules can plausibly be made so that magic doesn't actually break conservation of energy. There are so many weird physics rules we still barely understand, and presumably much we still don't understand, saying a fantasy setting has a ton of energy magicians can tap into with the proper know-how without actually breaking conservation of energy is quite acceptable in my book.

7. - Top - End - #247

In other words... does magic break conservation of energy? Well, only if you want it to....
    My point was that we don't want conservation of energy broken here, specifically because it has an impact on the narrative we don't like (no save dismemberment form a novel, on the spot rules interpretation).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    What if it’s a tiny little umbrella with enlarge object cast on it, and it gets tiny in an anti magic field?
    Well, I suppose the depends if the antimagic field undoes purify water. Will the water turn back into a cocktail?
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

8. - Top - End - #248

Lizardfolk

Well, if it didn't do the whole spectrum, then it'd just be Light, right?
    'Light as Bright as Sunlight But Functionally Different in Its Electromagnetic Wave Array' took up too much space in the spellbook.

Tesla talked about tapping into cosmic energies, which sounded (and still kinda does) like magic.
    Tesla= Original Captain Marvel?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

'Light as Bright as Sunlight But Functionally Different in Its Electromagnetic Wave Array' took up too much space in the spellbook. ?
    Or, you know... "Light, Greater". :P Or "Light, Brighter"

I mean, they didn't name it "Darkness of the New Moon Night with Heavy Couldcover" They just called it "Deeper Darkness".
    Last edited by Last_Riot; 2021-07-22 at 11:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250

AssassinGuy

Does Daylight create UV radiation? If so, why does it waste energy generating non-visible parts of the spectrum?
    Wow. Way to be humanocentric there. What about other fantasy species that can perceive UV wavelengths? Why should the Daylight spell not accommodate their senses? Maybe they're only capable of perceiving UV wavelengths.

I mean, take Sunny the (Legally Distinct from) Beholder, for example - this individual has nine eyes of different sizes, each capable of individual movement and direction, which can also biologically alter themselves to become organs that emit rays of magical power. It would be extremely improbable that such a creature would have evolved similar visual perception and processing capabilities as a human being. It is entirely possible that this species can't perceive "visible light" as we so species-centrically label the EM spectrum between 310-1100 nanometers.

And look at our friends, the dwarves. Dwarves evolved to live underground - evolutionarily, it would be odd for them to develop eyes at all like a human being's. Most likely, Dwarves' eyes are mainly vestigial and their primary sensory perception is via their whiskers, like moles. This explains why they have such lush beards. Their eyes are probably just basic sensors and all their brain's visual cortex has been entirely rewired to perceive the world entirely with their beards, in such rich detail that it is indistinct from human visual perception.

(In fact, their beard-senses are so good that no one has yet realized it. The dwarves believe that the word "vision" is simply the surface-dwellers' word for beard-sense, and have yet to realize that the humans use their EM radiation-detecting orbs for anything significant.)

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    Wow. Way to be humanocentric there. What about other fantasy species that can perceive UV wavelengths? Why should the Daylight spell not accommodate their senses? Maybe they're only capable of perceiving UV wavelengths.

I mean, take Sunny the (Legally Distinct from) Beholder, for example - this individual has nine eyes of different sizes, each capable of individual movement and direction, which can also biologically alter themselves to become organs that emit rays of magical power. It would be extremely improbable that such a creature would have evolved similar visual perception and processing capabilities as a human being. It is entirely possible that this species can't perceive "visible light" as we so species-centrically label the EM spectrum between 310-1100 nanometers.

And look at our friends, the dwarves. Dwarves evolved to live underground - evolutionarily, it would be odd for them to develop eyes at all like a human being's. Most likely, Dwarves' eyes are mainly vestigial and their primary sensory perception is via their whiskers, like moles. This explains why they have such lush beards. Their eyes are probably just basic sensors and all their brain's visual cortex has been entirely rewired to perceive the world entirely with their beards, in such rich detail that it is indistinct from human visual perception.

(In fact, their beard-senses are so good that no one has yet realized it. The dwarves believe that the word "vision" is simply the surface-dwellers' word for beard-sense, and have yet to realize that the humans use their EM radiation-detecting orbs for anything significant.)
    I love all of this.

Also, dwarves must consider beardless warriors extremely impressive, what woth them overcoming their disability like that.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

First of all, Artemis Fowl dwarves really are a bit like that, at least the beard part. Second, beholders actually have darkvision, being aberrations.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #253

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I love all of this.

Also, dwarves must consider beardless warriors extremely impressive, what woth them overcoming their disability like that.
    Beardless dwarves intentionally shave their beards, relying only on their follicles, as a show of their strength and fighting ability. Like how ancient Celts stripped naked and painted themselves before battle to prove their courage (according to dubious internet sources that are probably untrue).

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Beardless dwarves intentionally shave their beards, relying only on their follicles, as a show of their strength and fighting ability. Like how ancient Celts stripped naked and painted themselves before battle to prove their courage (according to dubious internet sources that are probably untrue).
    I meant warriors of other races.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #255

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I meant warriors of other races.
    Oh, they are viewed with the highest of esteem.

It is why the dwarves have not yet conquered the world. Consider that the dwarves are a species that prides itself on its fighting ability, with a culture that emphasizes a powerful martial ethic, has a militaristic social structure, and access to advanced metallurgy and technology. Yet the dwarves haven't erupted out of the underground and made savage war upon the surface. The only explanation is that the dwarves are overawed by the surface-dwellers' ability to function without facial hair.

It would be like us encountering an alien species that casually perforated their eyeballs with a spike every morning - incredibly disturbing and intimidating. And the aliens are twice our size.

The dwarves believe every surface-dweller is a giant who is a great warrior who ritually mutilates themselves to prove their warrior might. It is this myth - and this myth alone - that preserves peace between dwarf and surfacekind.

They fear our females most of all - innately born with no beard-sense, these horrific monsters must have been bred - or genetically engineered? - to be the perfect killing machine.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

The only explanation is that the dwarves are overawed by the surface-dwellers' ability to function without facial hair.
    No, not the only explanation.
    The rest of the attempted joke didn't land either.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #257

HalflingRogueGuy

Obligatory Oatmeal link: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/mantis_shrimp

My head cannon: Beholders are the Mantis Shrimp of D&D
    Last edited by Dion; 2021-07-22 at 04:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    No, not the only explanation.
    The rest of the attempted joke didn't land either.
    Curses! Back to the drawing board.

19. - Top - End - #259

HalflingRogueGuy

I laughed.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Way to go, Elan.

To all the people who like to claim that Bards are weak (and I still see that ludicrous claim from certain people on the Internet) I am currently playing a Half-Elven Bard of the College of Swords (a Blade) in my weekly 5th Edition D&D game (he is 16th level currently) and he is by far the most all-around effective member of the party. He can fight nearly as well as the warriors (dual cut-and-thrust swords [mechanically rapiers] with the Elven Accuracy Feat so that when he has Advantage it becomes Triple Advantage, and between all of the Feats I gave him dedicated to raising his AC and his Defensive Flourish ability his AC regularly hits 30+), he is our sole arcane spellcaster and heavy artillery, every bit as effective as a Sorcerer (Magical Secrets have given him all the Fireballs and Chain Lightning that he needs) and is also a very effective backup healer (he was originally also the party's sole healer, until our party gained two Clerics!)

He has repeatedly turned seemingly deadly, overwhelming battles into cake-walks by doing things such as using Stealth to sneak up on large groups of the enemy and cast Hypnotic Pattern from concealment, sneaking into an enemy army encampment and using upcast Mass Suggestion to sow chaos among the enemy ranks by "suggesting" to large groups of enemy soldiers that they are being manipulated and abused by their commanders and they should mutiny, and using upcast Charm Monster to take control of multiple enemy monsters and having them attack their masters (and with his little Doss Lute all those saving throws are at Disadvantage.)

(And when he reaches 17th level and gets his first 9th level spell he will be learning Foresight, which means that for 8 hours every day he will have Triple Advantage on every attack roll with his swords, and with his Peircer Feat every Critical Hit will do an extra die of damage... )

It has gotten to the point of becoming a running joke among the other players that Bards are vastly overpowered and need to be drastically nerfed. I suppose if you played a Bard as an unsubtle battering ram, just running up and attacking everything, they would be just plain awful, but if you play a Bard correctly and with style they are absolutely deadly.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    Way to go, Elan.

To all the people who like to claim that Bards are weak (and I still see that ludicrous claim from certain people on the Internet) I am currently playing a Half-Elven Bard of the College of Swords (a Blade) in my weekly 5th Edition D&D game (he is 16th level currently) and he is by far the most all-around effective member of the party. He can fight nearly as well as the warriors (dual cut-and-thrust swords [mechanically rapiers] with the Elven Accuracy Feat so that when he has Advantage it becomes Triple Advantage, and between all of the Feats I gave him dedicated to raising his AC and his Defensive Flourish ability his AC regularly hits 30+), he is our sole arcane spellcaster and heavy artillery, every bit as effective as a Sorcerer (Magical Secrets have given him all the Fireballs and Chain Lightning that he needs) and is also a very effective backup healer (he was originally also the party's sole healer, until our party gained two Clerics!)

He has repeatedly turned seemingly deadly, overwhelming battles into cake-walks by doing things such as using Stealth to sneak up on large groups of the enemy and cast Hypnotic Pattern from concealment, sneaking into an enemy army encampment and using upcast Mass Suggestion to sow chaos among the enemy ranks by "suggesting" to large groups of enemy soldiers that they are being manipulated and abused by their commanders and they should mutiny, and using upcast Charm Monster to take control of multiple enemy monsters and having them attack their masters (and with his little Doss Lute all those saving throws are at Disadvantage.)

(And when he reaches 17th level and gets his first 9th level spell he will be learning Foresight, which means that for 8 hours every day he will have Triple Advantage on every attack roll with his swords, and with his Peircer Feat every Critical Hit will do an extra die of damage... )

It has gotten to the point of becoming a running joke among the other players that Bards are vastly overpowered and need to be drastically nerfed. I suppose if you played a Bard as an unsubtle battering ram, just running up and attacking everything, they would be just plain awful, but if you play a Bard correctly and with style they are absolutely deadly.
    I have no idea how they are in 5E. I think most people comment their 3.5E iteration as being weak.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Bards in 3.5e are actually halfway decent; bardic music is a surprisingly good buff even in Core and supplements help with that too. Not to mention they can break the game wide open with social skills and Use Magic Device.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Titan in the Playground

They can't all be gems. (Been there, done that)
    I have no idea how they are in 5E. I think most people comment their 3.5E iteration as being weak.
    My 5e (College of Lore) bard is a hoot to play, but I built here as a support, not as a DPR machine. My martial party members keep thanking me.
    Plus, I get to play concerts for the queen. *Cha ching!*
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2021-07-22 at 08:50 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #264

Lizardfolk

A genuine question: is infra-red vision or UV vision closer to Darkvision as described in the SRD? My inclination is it sounds like infra-red on a limited wavelength, but I'm unsure how UV works in low light settings. I do seem to remember hearing UV is what makes looking up at an eclipse dangerous, but that seems unrelated.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

A genuine question: is infra-red vision or UV vision closer to Darkvision as described in the SRD? My inclination is it sounds like infra-red on a limited wavelength, but I'm unsure how UV works in low light settings. I do seem to remember hearing UV is what makes looking up at an eclipse dangerous, but that seems unrelated.
    In my experience, looking at an eclipse is dangerous because you're still looking at the *sun*, except now something weird is happening and you want to look at it. So yeah, uv most likely. But no more dangerous than usual except for the new incentive to do it. Once the sun is 100% covered, you actually can look at it safely.

My sister and I drove to get into the path of totality for the 2017(?) eclipse. Weirdest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. 100% recommend btw. But yeah, the exact instant the moon had moved enough to let that very first ray of sunlight through again, I could feel the heat on my hair again even though the world was still dark looking. And also hear my sister go "ow" because she hadn't looked away yet. Even a single ray of sunlight packs a punch.

26. - Top - End - #266

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    In my experience, looking at an eclipse is dangerous because you're still looking at the *sun*, except now something weird is happening and you want to look at it. So yeah, uv most likely. But no more dangerous than usual except for the new incentive to do it. Once the sun is 100% covered, you actually can look at it safely.

My sister and I drove to get into the path of totality for the 2017(?) eclipse. Weirdest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. 100% recommend btw. But yeah, the exact instant the moon had moved enough to let that very first ray of sunlight through again, I could feel the heat on my hair again even though the world was still dark looking. And also hear my sister go "ow" because she hadn't looked away yet. Even a single ray of sunlight packs a punch.
    It was something about how your pupils dilate in the low light even though UV (undetectable by the eye) is still being emitted by the sun's corona.
    It was in a thread where someone made the analogy that the sun gets an attack boost when at low health. Then someone made the better analogy of an eclipse being the sun equipping the moon for a bonus to sneak attack.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

In 5e, they got promoted to full spellcaster (which already make them strong, though not as OP as it would be in 3.5E). Additionally, 5e cut most of the small bonuses to checks, so Bardic inspirations are some of the few ways to actually get bonuses to checks, making Bards almost universally loved as teammate.
    Last edited by MoiMagnus; 2021-07-23 at 07:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoiMagnus View Post
    In 5e, they got promoted to full spellcaster (which already make them strong, though not as OP as it would be in 3.5E). Additionally, 5e cut most of the small bonuses to checks, so Bardic inspirations are some of the few ways to actually get bonuses to checks, making Bards almost universally loved as teammate.
    Yeah, apparently you aren't much better at skills when you level up. High level characters still have a big chance of blowing their checks against basic DCs unless you're a rogue or bard.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Yeah, apparently you aren't much better at skills when you level up. High level characters still have a big chance of blowing their checks against basic DCs unless you're a rogue or bard.
    RAW, yes, though I'd argue a lot of 5e DMs overlook the RAI of "only call for a check if there's a meaningful chance of failure." I've had my level 10 druid fail to recognize plants & animals in the biome she grew up in, and have seen the extremely athletic fighter with the highest modifier fail a baseline Athletics check. Things that really shouldn't be up to luck: when you're an expert in your field, there are certain small things you should just be able to do. It's the same reason crit fumbles bother me: a 20th level fighter should not have a 5% chance of stabbing themselves with their own sword every time they attack.

Passive skills (10 + mod) are a band-aid on this, but don't completely fix the problem. Bards and Rogues having Reliable Talent shine as a result, because they're able to always be baseline competent in their area of expertise. For the most part I like the flattened numbers of 5e, but the 3.5e potential to have, like, +15 to a check is definitely appealing.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    RAW, yes, though I'd argue a lot of 5e DMs overlook the RAI of "only call for a check if there's a meaningful chance of failure." I've had my level 10 druid fail to recognize plants & animals in the biome she grew up in, and have seen the extremely athletic fighter with the highest modifier fail a baseline Athletics check. Things that really shouldn't be up to luck: when you're an expert in your field, there are certain small things you should just be able to do. It's the same reason crit fumbles bother me: a 20th level fighter should not have a 5% chance of stabbing themselves with their own sword every time they attack.

Passive skills (10 + mod) are a band-aid on this, but don't completely fix the problem. Bards and Rogues having Reliable Talent shine as a result, because they're able to always be baseline competent in their area of expertise. For the most part I like the flattened numbers of 5e, but the 3.5e potential to have, like, +15 to a check is definitely appealing.
    Yeah, that's probably part of the reason I hear that 20 levels in 5e are just the first seven levels of 3.5e diluted.

Also I thought fumbles weren't RAW.

Extended sig here.