New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default If you were to make a game with 4 base stats…

I was playing Phantasy Star IV, found something odd. There are 4 base stats (str, mental, agi, dex), yet only 3 derived stats (atk, mdef, def, and nothing, respectively). Agi also helps turn order, whereas dex helps accuracy and crit. Magic potency is determined directly by base mental, no matk stat or something.

This seems quite weird to me. I like separating agi and dex, allowing for like a slow-moving crit machine, but… no matk? Def and turn order both depend on the same stat? No derived stat for just 1/4 of them?

But yes, title. What 4 stats (and derived stats/what they’d affect) would you do?

(Side note, I had a similar thread recently, but it was about stats and elements)
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: If you were to make a game with 4 base stats…

Betrayal at House on the Hill uses 4 stats - Strength, Speed, Intelligence, Sanity. Those are the ones I might lean toward in a 4-stat system. (Granted, there is no real conversation/influence mechanic in that game, hence no need for Cha.)

Dex and Agi being separate stats doesn't make much sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think it depends on the design of the game, its goals and challenges, etc.

Betrayal at House on the Hill's system works well for what it is emulating.
    A friend of mine made a simplified nWoD system using Strength, Constitution, Will, and Dexterity. It worked well to streamline things, with a set-up understanding of "you're as smart or charismatic as you can RP" hence no social stats.

For video games, I often like RPGs (tending towards turn-based with Final Fantasy 6 or 7's not-quite-turn-based turn-based system likely my ideal).
    Phantasy Star works well enough, but I could see generalizing some to something like
    Attack - ability to inflict harm (damage foes)
    Defense - ability to resist damage directly (e.g., armor, soak, etc.)
    Speed - impacts turn order
    Health - impacts HP
    Magic and physical aren't differentiated by stats, but would instead be by character or types of special abilities they can use.

Not sure if that's really what I'd prefer or not, but it gives a different way to potentially look at it. I'm not real sure if I like the idea of you can focus on Defense (to take less HP damage) or Health (to have more HP, so each point of damage matters less).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I think I would go with Fitness (general athletics things), Dexterity (tool use stuff, not agility, that's Fitness turf), Willpower (determination and magicking stuff) and Intuition (problem solving and perceptions).

Of course, since I tend to do overcomplicated things, expect a bunch of nested skill trees to specialize.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2021-07-14 at 02:15 PM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Toughness, Wit, Deftness and Charm, probably, which are hopefully fairly self-explanatory. In case it's not:

Toughness--how strong and resilient the character is physically.
    Wit--same, but mentally.
    Deftness--ability to avoid attacks, perform acrobatics, climb, etc.
    Charm--affects NPC reactions to the player character.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Urban jungle looks like a 4 stat system (body, speed, mind, soul) but is actually a 7 stat system. (Species, Carear, Archetype are choosable- IE, a Fem Fatale/vixen/Reporter, or a bulldog/cop/with a heart of gold, but also have a stat value that's relevant to what they do)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow.

None of the stats actually affect gameplay, you are just choosing which storyline to follow depending which one you level up.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow.

None of the stats actually affect gameplay, you are just choosing which storyline to follow depending which one you level up.
    ...you didn't write Mass Effect 3, by any chance?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    ...you didn't write Mass Effect 3, by any chance?
    Nah. I'd have been much more sadistic. See, I wouldn't actually tell you what any of the colors do. You might think they are actually buffing your stats or giving new abilities, but those would actually just be randomized rougelike style.

Oh, and you'd have a ton of points. This wouldn't be like one or two points. No, more like hundred points throughout the game. Most of which do absolutely nothing.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Power, Grace, Brains, and Charm.

Power is how much force you can exert on the world.
    Grace is how well you can move.
    Brains is your ability to think and reason.
    Charm is your ability to get people to like you.

Now notably this doesn't include any kind of 'defensive' stat, that would likely rely more on armour. But I'd also be tempted for weapons to play a bigger direct role in damage than a character's Power does, these stats feel more like things that enable out of combat options.

Replace Brains with Tech and drop charm and I could see these just being elements of a powered armoured suit alongside some kind of resilience stat. Cycle through weapons with various Power and area of effect, attach boosters for more Grace, slot in processors for higher Tech, while extra armour plates just increase resilience.

Tech would be used to hack the enviroy, I think you have a number of known hacks and various targets, and Tech works as a maximum limit.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.