New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Cooperative Worldbuilding - A Promised Necromancy

So about seven years ago I took over an abandoned quote-based worldbuilding thread on the Wizards of the Coast forums.
    Given that they shut down a few months later, that didn't last long, but recently I found the file I'd copied everything down to when we were planning to jump over here with it, and I figured, hey, better late than never, right? (Sorry, Imaculata)

Spoiler: The original thread
    Show
    Originally posted by GiantGorilla:

Since I have some trouble coming up with a good starting point for the world I envision, I thought, why not try out something I found to be a lot of fun on another board (Giant In The Playground, to be exact).

The basic idea is this...one person 8in this case, me), begins by posting a fictional quote said by someone or something within the yet-to-be-defined world.

Then the next poster gets to make up who said that quote and in what context, for example: "- Logan Greybeard at the eve of the battle of Fulskjar."

Then, that person gets to post another quote to which another person responds in the same manner and so on and so on. This will hopefully create a nice, collaborative athmosphere, and give me a framework for my campaign.

So, without further ado, the first quote:

" By scale and fang, you do not want to go down there. There are secrets in the dark places of the world that will burn your eyes out."

Originally posted by rampant:

- Leif "Grpyhon's Bane" Smithson, warning soldiers back from the edge of Zaki's desolation cysts

"Horror I may be, but even monsters dream of freedom!"

Originally posted by tristantak:

-Count Elored van Tebhen, conflicted vampire, to a small band of Church Inquisitors.

These are fun; how come it stopped?

"When the night is coming, raise your torch higher!"

Originally posted by Geoarrge:

-Vice-Deacon Jeriah Geach, leading the defense of Dunfeld, during the 'Winter of Blood' vampire rampage of 1107

---

"The shrine was disused for centuries-- yet I cannot help but feel I made a mistake sharing my findings with the Guild. I am being followed."

Originally posted by DM_Craig:

- Fallen Paladin Torgal, member of the Black Hood Mercenaries Guild.

"Your prayers cannot stop this. You will no doubt find the gods most uninterested in your current plight."

-Keiril the Dark, as he prepared to open a portal to the Infernal Planes near the Holy City of Ker Elonar.

"The Church? Bah! Whatever they may think, they don't hold the favor of the gods any more than the Thief-lords do."

Originally posted by halvgrim:

Gunvor, inn keeper as he serves a portion a portion of soup to a hungry traveller.

"Now we are finally alone"

- Spymaster Arik, in his demiplane connected to a Magnificent Mansion

"My dear boy, I'm afraid you put the runestones in the wrong order."

-Valantheia, archmage, as she attempts to help her apprentice find his arm.

"Shadows! The shadows! They hunt me, they hunt me! Everywhere! They're all around! Run! Run for your lives! Run for your souls!"

Originally posted by Imaculata:

-Heiron the Mad, a mage imprisoned at the Whispering Tower, who had seen too much.

"The creature in that cell is not the friend I remember....I doubt if anything remains of him at all. He is but a shell of a man, -and the man is gone."

-Spymaster Arik, regretting the fate of Heiron the Mad, once called Heiron Bright-Star.

"When you stand upon the Highlands and watch the four moons rise above the Rings... ah, what a glorious sight! Surely, there cannot be another like it in all the world!"

Originally posted by ZephyrStrange:

ZephyrStrange wrote:-Mardir the Wise, speaking to another member of the dwarven council.

"Your first mistake was coming here, your second was letting me out, and your third was not being faster."

-Saleema of the Veil, as she helt a dagger to the throat of her old enemy, Spymaster Arik, after he released her to get information.

"If you venture into that forsaken place, you will not be coming back. Best you find some other way to die."

-Gunvor the innkeeper, speaking of the Desolate Wastes, in response to a foolhardy adventurer's question.

‘Yet still the riven heights he clomb*,
    And wandered forests, all alone,
    And creatures foul, and creatures fair,
    These the kinds he met him there.

The sun it rose, the moons they set,
    but ne'er the wanderer would forget
    the face, the feel, of she he sought
    the woman for whose life he fought.’

[*clomb: archaic past tense of climb]

-Lord Canton of Mystberry, singing to the grave of the late Lady Stella.

"Till the last brick falls from this tower, we stand like gaurdians and gatekeepers. We shall not fall!"

Ser Harland Mossland, captain of the guards at the Whispering Tower, instructing the watch that evening. Ironically mere minutes before Spymaster Arik and his men would make them fall.

"They are trying to provoke us into war. These are desperate acts of a country that has nothing to lose."

-General Xanaphia Silverwood, addressing a war council in regards to the recent attacks from the neighboring kingdom.

"The only things keeping us from becoming one of them is the wall and our readiness to defend what we hold dear."

-- inscription at Saint Torgal's Memorial, commemorating Dunfeld's triumph in the Winter of Blood.

"Do you honestly think you've won? That you're in control? That I'm even actually here?"

-Keiril the Dark, laughing as a band of Church Inquisitors surround him near Ker Elonar.

"Suffering Shiitake, everybody thinks I'm lying today!"

Originally posted by rampant:

- Count Elored van Tebhen, bungling artificer, to his daughter after a day at court, prior to his transformation into a vampire.

Back to nature? Why would I want to go back to nature? You wanna know what's natural? Getting eaten by bears is natural. Getting overrun by orcs and dragons and trolls is natural. Sitting around in the dirt and not accomplishing anything is natural. If the cost of my steel, my walls, my magic, and my children's lives is a bit of unnaturalness then nature can go hang, alongside you and your gods!

-Aulin Seilirine, Elven Warrior/Bard, arguing with his cleric brother and druid sister.

"'Fraid I don't give second chances, mate. I'm the guy they send after you fail your third."

-- Martyn Westwild, highest ranking member of the Silent Hand.

"When your this far below ground, this water is worth its weight in gold."

-Albar Longaxe, Dwarven treasure hunter and guide, speaking to adventurers in the tunnels of the World Beneath.

Okay, so far we have:
    Places
    Zaki’s Desolation Cysts
    Dunfeld
    Saint Torgal’s Memorial
    The Holy City of Ker Elonar
    Gunvor’s Inn (inferred)
    Spymaster Arik’s demiplane
    The Whispering Tower
    The Highlands
    The Desolate Wastes
    Mystberry
    The World Beneath

Events
    The Winter of Blood, 1107
    Death of Lady Stella
    Fall of the Whispering Tower

Organizations
    The Church
    Church Inquisitors
    The Black Hood Mercenaries Guild
    The Dwarven Council
    The Silent Hand

People
    Leif “Gryphon’s Bane” Smithson
    Count Elored van Tebhen, former artificer, now a vampire.
    Count van Tebhen’s daughter
    Torgal, Fallen Paladin (same as the saint??)
    Keiril the Dark
    Gunvor the Innkeeper
    Spymaster Arik
    Valantheia, archmage
    Valantheia’s apprentice
    Heiron the Mad, mage imprisoned at the Whispering Tower before it fell.
    Mardir the Wise, Dwarven council-member
    Saleema of the Veil, old enemy of Spymaster Arik
    Lord Canton of Mystberry
    Lady Stella of Mystberry (deceased)
    Sir Harland Mossland, captain of the Whispering Tower guards.
    General Xanaphia Silverwood
    Aulin Seilirine
    Aulin’s brother and sister
    Martyn Westwild
    Albar Longaxe

"And if they fall? What then? Will we die here with the remnant of our shattered people, watching our parents and the other adults die before our eyes? I say thee nay!"

Shiana Dewbridge, trying to plead to her younger brother that they must convince their town to aid Dunfeld, during the Winter of Blood.

"I will take you as far as I can with my boat, but take no responsibility for what you'll find there... or for what will find you.
    But judging by the stern look in your eyes, I guess my words are not going to change your mind."

--Captain Harlock Crabb, asked to make a voyage to the ruined Old Imperial homeland of Examar.

"I asked for a company of Dwarvish masons and a week. We have two dozen men and three days. Mardir sends his regrets."

First Ranger Ingwald, returning to the Cathedral of Saint Torgal.

"Inscribed in these walls are eons of knowledge, forever edged in stone. They are the records of countless historical events.
    Many of which the world above has forgotten. This place is beyond any mere library, where history waits to be eaten by moths. It IS history.
    Now... what is it that you are looking for? And I will help you find it."

-Archmage Valantheia,addreassing her newest students on their first day.

"There are many things scarier than death. Death is inevitable. So don't be afraid. Just let go and I promise, you won't feel a thing."

-Anatharien, Prince of the Shadow-Fey, drawing his obsidian knife as he consoles a mortally wounded teenage adventurer.

"And the goddess argued with her siblings, the gods of the Elves; and she took her followers to the world of mortals. And they were diminished in the passing, as they tore new holes between Faerie and the World. And they settled in the woods and forests, and lived in tunnels beneath the trees, and forgot their origins. And when the humans found these people, the humans knew not that they had once been Fae, and they named them simply 'halflings'.

-Chapter 3 of Dr. Harbek Brasshammer's lesser known book, "From the Fae to Today".

"Somewhere out there's a women for both of us, but I don't think we're getting any closer to finding them by making kababs out of these goblins."

-A young Lord Canton to his friend Leif Smithson, as they take care of a nest of goblins near Pelethar City.

"I didn't know you knew Elvish."
    "I don't. It's written in Common right here."
    "...I knew that."

Paul Ruttington, assistant to Professor Prickleberry, -who was once again astounded by the professor's amazing wisdom as they surveyed a not-so ancient elven ruin near Mistkerk.

"The trick is to approach them from the side, and not make eye contact, while you comfort them by gently padding them on their side."
    "-What if I do accidentally make eye contact?"
    "Don't make eye contact."

-A young Lord Canton to a Young Lady Stella on there first adventure together.

"The Waste-Marsh is home to hundreds of creatures yet undiscovered, animal and plant alike."
    "-But one of those 'creatures yet undescovered' ate half of my crew."
    "I didn't say they were friendly."

Ser Richard Canton, to a crew of workmen, as he was inspecting the progress on the new Marsh-Bridge.

"Men such as yourself demonize beings like me, because you fear us. You fear us, because we could
    easily swallow you whole, and use your sword as a toothpick. And maybe... you are right to be afraid... "

-Kaldathir, dragon, speculatively eyeing a young human wanderer who has stumbled into his cave.

"It's not fair!"
    "Fair? You use that word so often. I wonder what your frame of reference is. After all, it isn't 'fair' that the humans have been made nearly extinct; it isn't 'fair' that nobody ever escapes the Lost Marshes; it isn't 'fair' that the Thief-Queen rules her city instead of the governor; and it isn't 'fair' that I am keeping you here, distracted, while my servants do everything possible to stop you from proceeding. But life isn't fair, now, is it?"

-Master Erizod, lecturing two foolhearty adventurers after they're captured in his keep.

"Look at the hills. One day they will be yours but today... today we've got work to do."

Unhul the giant, to his son, as they are taking apart the newly built marsh-bridge.

"I admire your courage, and I do not doubt my own abilities... nor do I doubt yours... But that place...
    even if you find a way inside, there's no way you're getting out of there alive."

-A young Aulin Seilirine, to his friend Elored van Tebhen, outside the Fallen City of Ker Elonar.

"Don't worry! I know almost exactly what I'm doing!"

-Paul Ruttington, attempting to open a door locked with the notorious Gyron Mechanism.

"Coward? The ship was already lost-- both masts ripped clean off, half the deck on fire. See this scar? I wrestled a shark while hiding from the dragon. I'm a survivor. Now, either you can buy us a bottle from the top shelf, or we can continue our discussion outside."

-Father Akatar, failing to smooth things over with an old ship mate of his.

"I didn't say this would be easy, I said it would be quick. Now, prop him up in the corner, he's getting blood on everything."

Ves Nightshade, of the Silent Hand, to her partner in crime Elomar the Keen, as they are breaking into Lord Mannington's Museum and are dragging one of the guards away.

"Don't move! Do not move a muscle! These things may be mechanical, but they are not stupid. One wrong move and you've got a hail of pain heading towards your face."

-A pair of adventurers, coming upon a nest of mechanical spiders.

"But wait- if you're here, then who's watching the prisoner?"

-Sheriff Ryon, panickly adressing his deputy, moments before Salazar "Red Winter" Canton escapes his cell for the first time.

"At last a ship to call my own: three decks, four sails, and enough canons to turn any pirate ship we see into fire wood and toothpicks."

--Harlock Crabb, celebrating his promotion to Captain with former crewmates.

"I assure you, we practice the utmost in discretion. The clone will remain safe in our headquarters, or wherever you choose to keep it. We can reduce the fee if you wish to take responsibility for its safety, but I recommend storing it at our headquarters. Security is our highest priority."

-Dr Archimedes Nimbus, head of the Academy of Arcane Arts, to a mysterious client.

"War is not about heroes and villains. Nor is it not about ideals. War is just war. It does not need a reason to exist. War has always been there."

Originally posted by thedarkshadow52:

- Madrir the Wise to his fellow councilmen as the discuss Ker Elonar's fate
    "All of this, for what? Love? Revenge! You blame them for her death and now you seek their annihilation. Thou hast lost his virtue, Father. Mother would be ashamed!"

-Vitomir Ludicael, to his father, the vampire lord Valko Ludicael.

"You talk about the dead like they are meat... expendable assets. But these are soldiers, and many of them were my friends. I find it sickening."

-Former Vice-Deacon Jeriah Geach, newly appointed Marshal of Dunfeld, reprimanding Captain Nella Willet for an ill-advised raid on the vampires.

"Right, enough of the cryptic nonsense. The 'old tomato flying on black wings' obviously means a Blackcloak Courier bearing an ultimatum. Any chance of you knowing who it's from or what it's about?"

-Ak-Taer, looking for information in atown on the outskirts of the Waste-Marshes.

"There are are few things I enjoy more than gold. That face you made when I decepitated your brother is definitly one of them. Mind doing it again."

-Martyn Westwild of the Silent Hand.

People, Places, and Things
    Monsters and world threats
    Vampires are a major thread
    Gryphons were mentioned in a minor way
    Giants

Places
    Zaki’s Desolation Cysts
    Dunfeld
    Saint Torgal’s Memorial- a Cathedral
    The Holy City of Ker Elonar
    Gunvor’s Inn (inferred)
    Spymaster Arik’s demiplane
    The Whispering Tower
    The Highlands
    The Desolate Wastes
    Mystberry
    The World Beneath
    Examar, Old Imperial Homeland
    Mistkerk, and a nearby Elven ruin
    Kaldathir’s cave
    Lord Mannington’s Museum
    Academy of Arcane Arts
    Pelethar City
    The Waste-marsh
    The marsh bridge (short-lived)
    We know there’s at least one ocean, presumably between the main continent and Examar.

Events
    The Winter of Blood, in 1107
    The death of Lady Stella
    The fall of the Whispering Tower
    The Fall of Ker Elonar

Organizations
    The Church
    Church Inquisitors
    The Black Hood Mercenaries Guild
    The Dwarven Council
    The Silent Hand
    Blackcloak Couriers. What are they, and are they affiliated with the Black Hood?

People
    Leif “Gryphon’s Bane” Smithson
    Count Elored van Tebhen, former artificer, now a vampire.
    Count van Tebhen’s daughter
    Vice-Deacon Jeriah Geach
    Torgal, Fallen paladin (I'll go out on a limb and extrapolate that he Fell, then redeemed himself with his death). Died in the Winter of Blood. This was apparently long enough for a shrine, then a church, to be built over the memorial,and for Torgal to be canonized as a saint.
    So our current time is... the 1140s, perhaps? Although I don't know what point of reference the people use as a dating system.
    Keiril the Dark
    Gunvor the Innkeeper
    Spymaster Arik
    Valantheia, archmage
    Valantheia’s apprentice
    Heiron the Mad, mage imprisoned at the Whispering Tower before it fell.
    Mardir the Wise, Dwarven council-member
    Saleema of the Veil, old enemy of Spymaster Arik
    Lord Canton, Lord of Mystberry. Same as Sir Richard Canton?
    Lady Stella of Mystberry (deceased)
    Sir Harland Mossland, captain of the Whispering Tower guards.
    General Xanaphia Silverwood
    Aulin Seilirine. When he was young (presumably late teens/early twenties), he was a friend of the pre-vampire Elored van Tebhen.
    Aulin’s brother and sister
    Martyn Westwild
    Albar Longaxe
    Shiana Dewbridge
    Captain Harlock Crabb
    Ingwald, First Ranger of Saint Torgal’s Cathedral
    Anatharien, Prince of the Shadow-Fey
    Dr. Harbek Brasshammer
    The rather luckless Paul Ruttington
    Professor Prickleberry
    Kaldathir, dragon.
    Master Erizod
    Unhul the giant
    His son, too.
    Aulin Seilirine, friend of Elored van Tebhen.
    Father Akatar
    Ves Nightshade & Elomar the Keen
    Salazar “Red Winter” Canton. Presumaby related to Lord Canton in some way.
    Sheriff Ryon.
    Dr. Archimedes Nimbus
    Vitomir Ludicael
    Valko Ludicael, father of Vitomir. Vampire lord. His wife is deceased.
    Nella Willet, Captain under Marshal Jeriah of Dunfeld.
    Ak-Taer

Things So Far Implied
    -Humans are nearly extinct. Presumably, Halflings, Elves, and Dwarves are more common. There may be other races, such as Tieflings or maybe something new.
    -Halflings were once Fae.
    -The City of Ker Elonar fell due to a gateway to the Infernal Planes. This occurred before or while Aulin Seilirine was a young adult, and prior to Elored van Tebhen’s vampiric transformation (and possibly before he became a Count).
    -A city somewhere is ruled by a Thief-Queen, rather than its’ supposed governor.
    -Lord Canton and Leif Smithson were friends in their youth.
    -The Winter of Blood, in 1107, resulted in the victory of Dunfeld over a horde of vampires. It may also have resulted in the death of the former Paladin Torgal, who was then made a Saint. A memorial and/or cathedral was built in his honor. Vice-Deacon Jeriah Geach was appointed Marshal of Dunfeld.
    -The Whispering Tower is a prison of some sort. It held Heiron the Mad and Saleema of the Veil. It fell to Spymaster Arik, who released Saleema to get information. This did not go as he planned.
    -Examar, the Old Imperial homeland, is presumably overrun by monsters/demons/vampires or something of the like.
    -The Church worships an undefined pantheon, and supposedly holds the gods’ favor.
    -We don’t know much about the Elves yet.
    -Paul Ruttington is a bit of a bumbling assistant to Professor Prickleberry. It is unclear if the professor is a complete buffoon as well, or a genius. Perhaps a bit of both.
    -It is also implied that Vitomir Ludicael lost his wife (possibly in the war?).
    -Also, it was hinted at at some point, that Saleema of the Veil was also imprisoned at the Whispering Tower, and then liberated by her old enemy, Spymaster Arik.

So, I'll start us off with a quote, and somebody can give it an attribution and another quote.

“Once, the Church’s purpose was to heal and protect. I would see those days return.”
    Last edited by Kickaha; 2021-07-16 at 02:37 AM.
    Adventuring is a sport. The winners are those who don't get killed.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Cooperative Worldbuilding - A Promised Necromancy

"Once the Church's purpose was to heal and protect. I would see those days return."

Supposed saying of the heretic former Inquisitor Belme Hauthrad. In her trial, (in absentia,) her former acolyte Ander Nedil swore before the council that the first part of that quote was, "In order to dissafect the ignorant masses we must tell them..."

Some report that the acolyte appeared drugged and that his injuries were consistent with recent torture.

"Give me a stake, a mallet, and a mob of angry peasants. But if I can have only one, I'll take the angry peasants!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

In a book for recipes for cooking mobs after killing them.
    Written by some dwarf from the dwarven council (that gets confused with vampires due to the many dwarves complaining about the dwarven council being a "band of blood suckers stealing hardly earned gold").
    "John you need to pull the lever or push the cart or both but here you are standing still"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-07-20 at 04:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I had thought WotC's forum closed a lot longer than 7 years ago
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

-Last words of Vampire Champion Ervinden, immediately before being hit by the minecart.

"I saw what you did to them, all to stop me. And yet, here I am. So, my friend, one last chance... Stand aside, or burn!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

-Keiril the Dark, to the band of Church Inquisitors surrounding him outside the city of Ker Elonar, shortly before the city fell

"Oppressed we may be, but the end is approaching. The Conjunction is coming. The Conjunction is coming."
    Blue is for sarcasm or irony.

This is the internet; everything is public. So yes, you can sig any of my posts.

Avengers Adventure -- An RPG screencap comic for the MCU. Currently on Iron Man 2, completed Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk. Like Avengers, Roll Initiative, except its updating (and regularly, too)

I don't own it, but you should definitely check it out

Incredible avatar by smutmulch

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show
    Google Drawings AssassinGuy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

-Heiron the Mad to his cellmate as the Whispering Tower fell.

"Be still. If that mouse notices us, we may not live to regret it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Katri Fairhand to Nalcon of the Bow while stealing The Horn of the Purple Unicorn from the Forest Shrine of the Circle of the Silent Wood.

"These things are always mythical right up until one is staring you in the face."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Katri Fairhand to Nalcon of the Bow while stealing The Horn of the Purple Unicorn from the Forest Shrine of the Circle of the Silent Wood.

"These things are always mythical right up until one is staring you in the face."
    John an isolated dwarf farmer talking about humans to the dwarven council.

"I can believe you lost this fight but I can not believe you survived being insulted by that warrior"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-07-31 at 04:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    "I can believe you lost this fight but I can not believe you survived being insulted by that warrior"
    The squire of Sir Astrid Blackwall (later given the sobriquet "The Unashamed") after her infamous honor duel with Ryan "Razortongue" Redwater. Her reputation never fully recovered, but historians will note that she ultimately claimed the last laugh.

"Well, I've been called a lot of things. Thief. Hero. Soldier. Lord. Traitor. Monster. But then, you didn't ask what I was called, you asked what I was, and the answer to that is both far more simple and far more relevant. For you see, little killers, I. Am still. Hungry."
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Formerly the adventurer Kelit Silvertongue, now the vampire Dhelar of Cairn Ty, said to the most recent band of would-be vampire slayers. The only reason this line is known is because she allowed Axil of the Lute to survive in the hopes that he would bring her more tasty adventurers in his quest for revenge.

"If sacrificing thousands would save the kingdom, then those peasants should be damned grateful that they had the privilege to save something greater than themselves."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"If sacrificing thousands would save the kingdom, then those peasants should be damned grateful that they had the privilege to save something greater than themselves."
    Reportedly said by the paladin Torgal "The Bright", as he made the fateful decision that both caused his own fall and led directly to the Winter of Blood.

"Gods damn that professor, and his idiot minion too! How in the Four Worlds did they know to search there for my tunnel?!"
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    "Gods damn that professor, and his idiot minion too! How in the Four Worlds did they know to search there for my tunnel?!"
    -Hernsech "Troll Face" Prickleberry, renegade alchemist and half brother of Professor Prickleberry, unwisely holed up in an ancient human ruin near the Waste-marsh.

"I'm on fire. Again. What made you think it would work this time?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    -Hernsech "Troll Face" Prickleberry, renegade alchemist and half brother of Professor Prickleberry, unwisely holed up in an ancient human ruin near the Waste-marsh.

"I'm on fire. Again. What made you think it would work this time?"
    Vampire champion Ervinden talking about a new sun protection lotion made by Daniel Lagrange.

"Can you please stop this caravan for an inspection?"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-08-27 at 02:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

-Adventurer Kelit Silvertongue on her first attempt to infiltrate the Fortress of the Damned.

"Cold out here in the dark, isn't it?"

"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Vesily the Vampire Hunter to Thrice Damned Otuvia, the unluckiest vampire, on the night she first woke as a vampire.

"Its a simple counterweight and pulley system, he said, but he didn't say it was so frickin' humongous!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Vesily the Vampire Hunter to Thrice Damned Otuvia, the unluckiest vampire, on the night she first woke as a vampire.

"Its a simple counterweight and pulley system, he said, but he didn't say it was so frickin' humongous!"
    Bob Steelforge said this to Daniel Driller while looking at the elevator of the local mine.

"Nooo I can not die again in such a lame way to coffin killers"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-08-30 at 04:27 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Bob Steelforge said this to Daniel Driller while looking at the elevator of the local mine.

An illusion of Thrice Damned Otuvia, placed by Kelit Silvertongue to distract a group of adventurers. Evidently she valued mocking her rival over making the illusion convincing, as the illusory vampire proceeded to run around the room screaming and aimlessly flailing.

"I can't believe we're losing this war. This is humiliating."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-09-01 at 03:20 AM.
    Optimization Trophies

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

"I can't believe we're losing this war. This is humiliating."
    The Grand High First Lord Major General Eiba Mengdesis of the Great Supreme Ducal Arch-City-Fortress of Syrupleaf, later to become known as Battlefailed or to the local peasants as West Bum-****.

"There are no words to express the depths of my contempt for you. Now give me back my leg."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The Grand High First Lord Major General Eiba Mengdesis of the Great Supreme Ducal Arch-City-Fortress of Syrupleaf, later to become known as Battlefailed or to the local peasants as West Bum-****.

"There are no words to express the depths of my contempt for you. Now give me back my leg."
    The Grand High First Lord Major General Eilba Mengdesis to Col. Limner, former painter turned soldier, during the fall of Fortress Syrupleaf. Ironicly, the leg, preserved in alcohol, became a war trophy and now resides among captured ordinaries and other war trophies at the Military Academy at Farrier City in the Republic of Lannastria.

"In the grand scheme of things you and I will never be more than drops in a bucket, but as for me, I intend to make a splash that will become a tsunami."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"In the grand scheme of things you and I will never be more than drops in a bucket, but as for me, I intend to make a splash that will become a tsunami."
    Found carved into the paving stones at the site of the riot that marked the beginning of the Uncivil War. Inexplicably, the surrounding several feet were free of bodies, blood, and even fallen rubble, in stark contrast to the rest of the town square. Author unknown.

"Yes, it's unjust. Yes, it's immoral. There's not a soul here who doesn't already know that. But unless you have a solution to offer, I really must insist you shut up and ideally do something useful."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-09-02 at 01:29 AM.
    Optimization Trophies

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yes, it's unjust. Yes, it's immoral. There's not a soul here who doesn't already know that. But unless you have a solution to offer, I really must insist you shut up and ideally do something useful."
    Kelit Silvertongue to Vesily about the use of napalm and lava to destroy a vampire infested city in such a way they have no chance to fight back after a discussion where Vesily found no practical solutions beyond "stake them one by one".

"I wish it would stop hurting one day but it never stops hurting to see those people suffering"

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

-Vesily to Kelit Silvertongue, sharing a last drink at his Inn before reluctantly coming out of retirement.

"Shovel, spear, or flute. Take your pick, and don't blame me when it goes wrong."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    "Shovel, spear, or flute. Take your pick, and don't blame me when it goes wrong."
    Ryan "Razortongue" Redwater to the young Leif Smythson, who had insisted on accompanying him on his adventures. Based on Leif's later feats, one can assume he chose the spear.

"How was I to know that the humans would take it so poorly? It was just a bridge! ...That they needed to escape the lands ravaged by the Uncivil War. ...So they wouldn't starve due to lack of farmland, okay I see it now. Still, I liked that arm!"
    Optimization Trophies

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Ryan "Razortongue" Redwater to the young Leif Smythson, who had insisted on accompanying him on his adventures. Based on Leif's later feats, one can assume he chose the spear.

"How was I to know that the humans would take it so poorly? It was just a bridge! ...That they needed to escape the lands ravaged by the Uncivil War. ...So they wouldn't starve due to lack of farmland, okay I see it now. Still, I liked that arm!"
    -Bob Steelforge after his mining project goes awry.

"It feels like I broke every bone in my hand, but it was worth it."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    "It feels like I broke every bone in my hand, but it was worth it."
    Delmaz the Riveter after punching Bob Steelforge in the jaw. Several times.

"Vampires are only the greatest enemy of our age because we romanticized them into a semblance of harmlessness. The lesson one must remember when she lives among lions is, whatever their pretense, their goal is to eat you."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Vampires are only the greatest enemy of our age because we romanticized them into a semblance of harmlessness. The lesson one must remember when she lives among lions is, whatever their pretense, their goal is to eat you."
    Countess Kelit Silvertongue, revealing her new vampiric status at the coronation of Princess Jasmine "The Devourer" Goldenmane. This line was only pieced together through judicious use of the spell speak with dead, as Kelit (henceforth taking up the title Dhelar of Cairn Ty) cared not for forgiveness nor mercy.

"Fairies. The term elicits an image of small, beautiful, harmless beings flitting among the flowers, an image carefully cultivated by the Lords and Ladies of the World Beside. The truth is that the Fey can be as powerful and cruel as the greatest of demons; the main difference is that they are better at hiding it."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-09-11 at 01:24 AM.
    Optimization Trophies

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

"Fairies. The term elicits an image of small, beautiful, harmless beings flitting among the flowers, an image carefully cultivated by the Lords and Ladies of the World Beside. The truth is that the Fey can be as powerful and cruel as the greatest of demons; the main difference is that they are better at hiding it."
    Uttered by Fle'shelma'korvn Na'ham'tula, a self proclaimed "fey lord of factualized nuggets in truth-like being", shortly before the Isolation of Kalamada. To this day the peninsula of Kalamada is still inacessible to all but small children. All attempts to get there end up in the sea or on a nearby beach.

"Learn from history or repeat it. Obviously having half your cities turned into demon spawning hell-cysts was something you want me to repeat."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Uttered by Fle'shelma'korvn Na'ham'tula, a self proclaimed "fey lord of factualized nuggets in truth-like being", shortly before the Isolation of Kalamada. To this day the peninsula of Kalamada is still inacessible to all but small children. All attempts to get there end up in the sea or on a nearby beach.

"Learn from history or repeat it. Obviously having half your cities turned into demon spawning hell-cysts was something you want me to repeat."
    'Ah yes, 'Demons'. The immortal race of personified evils allegedly waiting in the Dark Planes. We have dismissed that claim.'

- The response of the Dark Emissary to the mocking words of a young lieutenant of the Ker Elonar Citadel, the night before the Second Infernal Invasion.

'Our cities fallen, our works dashed, our people replaced. We have lost, yet I regret not, for we had a good run. I am, mayhaps, the last Human, and this is my story...'

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    'Ah yes, 'Demons'. The immortal race of personified evils allegedly waiting in the Dark Planes. We have dismissed that claim.'

- The response of the Dark Emissary to the mocking words of a young lieutenant of the Ker Elonar Citadel, the night before the Second Infernal Invasion.

'Our cities fallen, our works dashed, our people replaced. We have lost, yet I regret not, for we had a good run. I am, mayhaps, the last Human, and this is my story...'
    Bob Steelforge after taking too many drugs and believing he was an human and seeing no humans in the dwarven settlement he was living at the time and assuming it meant all the humans had been replaced by dwarves.

"That new trend for architects to place lava pits in houses have its uses after all: that is a convenient waste disposal and a way to get rid of vampires. If only it did not poison the air too I would get one for my house."
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-11 at 02:44 AM.