New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Cooperative Worldbuilding - A Promised Necromancy

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Bob Steelforge after taking too many drugs and believing he was an human and seeing no humans in the dwarven settlement he was living at the time and assuming it meant all the humans had been replaced by dwarves.

"That new trend for architects to place lava pits in houses have its uses after all: that is a convenient waste disposal and a way to get rid of vampires. If only it did not poison the air too I would get one for my house."
    '...But with goblins and vampires on the loose, those annoyingly demanding noble neighbors who need to be reminded of their place and my very hungry great-grandma coming over next Sunday, why not?
    After all, what can go wrong?'

- Dr. Harbek Brasshammer, commissioning a Lava Pit upgrade during the Winter of Blood.

'So let me get this straight - you put a bunch of miniature volcanoes in the heart of your underground city, then sealed your city up, then flooded the vampire army outside with magma?'

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    [I]
    'So let me get this straight - you put a bunch of miniature volcanoes in the heart of your underground city, then sealed your city up, then flooded the vampire army outside with magma?'
    Archmage Bilimoro "The Unwise", The Last Light of the Winter War, act 2, scene 4.*

* Editor's Note: In keeping with the rules and regulations of the Ministry of Culture we are required to remind our readers that the roles of Bilimoro and the other townsfolk are reserved for condemned criminals who are burned and crushed to death in the last act of the play. Violation of this rule is punishable by being cast as a towns-person in a production of The Last Light of the Winter War.

"Alchemy is the noble art of randomly sloshing stuff in flasks and selling as magic potions."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    "Alchemy is the noble art of randomly sloshing stuff in flasks and selling as magic potions."
    "... is what I tell the officials anyway. But we both know what's really in these flasks, don't we? Now, the usual order today? One Vial of Bliss coming right up. Feel free to try a sample of the Fortis Enhancement Elixir as well; the warriors love it."

- A Silent Hand 'alchemist' to a regular customer.

'The three keys to making an effective assassin, my young pupil, are surprise, deception and (REDACTED).'

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by +5 Vorpal Bunny View Post
    "... is what I tell the officials anyway. But we both know what's really in these flasks, don't we? Now, the usual order today? One Vial of Bliss coming right up. Feel free to try a sample of the Fortis Enhancement Elixir as well; the warriors love it."

- A Silent Hand 'alchemist' to a regular customer.

'The three keys to making an effective assassin, my young pupil, are surprise, deception and (REDACTED).'
    Spoiler: Psst
    Show
    You're supposed to complete a quote with just the context, not a follow-up quote and then the context.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Spoiler: Psst
    Show
    You're supposed to complete a quote with just the context, not a follow-up quote and then the context.
    Said by PoeticallyPsyco while talking to +5 Vorpal Bunny during the construction of the world event by event.

Said by some anonymous assassin of the dwarven council that was paid to teach a councilmember how to assassinate.

"This area is cleared move on to the next one."
    Last edited by noob; 2021-09-13 at 03:37 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"This area is cleared move on to the next one."
    The last words of Ser Harland Mossland. He died like he lived: being instantly proven wrong.

"Well analyzed! I do love scholars; they taste so much better. Not just a vampire, but the vampire; the strongest, the smartest, the one to beat. But you missed an element. It's a play on words, you see, a pun. Dhelar of Cairn Ty, literally 'The Hunger of the Crypt', can indeed be interpreted as 'the vampire' like you so astutely noted. But it can also be interpreted as a hunger for those of the crypt; a hunger for the undead. With that slant, my title becomes 'The one who consumes vampires'.

Now tell me, little cousins. Why is it that you are here, in my castle, drinking my staff? Best make the explanation a good one. I am oh so very hungry."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-09-13 at 10:16 PM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Was that a soliloquy? I think that was. Or a monologue.

Hungry Myron, the little boy who used the components of his dinner as figurines in his (k)nightly role-playing which usually ended with all foes defeated and consumed.

"The Moors are perfect! We can graze sheep and sell wool. We can build a manor over there, and the best thing is, no vampire would ever come looking for us out there."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Princess Jasmine Goldenmane II, fleeing her own castle after luckily arriving too late to her mother's coronation. She was proved correct about the vampires, but underestimated how many adventurers would attempt to visit the nearby desolation cysts.

"When we open the doors, you go left and head for the switch. You should have time while I'm listening to her introductory monologue. I love you. Good luck."
    Last edited by Sapphire Guard; 2021-09-17 at 05:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    "When we open the doors, you go left and head for the switch. You should have time while I'm listening to her introductory monologue. I love you. Good luck."
    "Duke Margrade" a.k.a. Jezeran 'Slick' Hessola to an accomplice on a visit to the famed thespian and retired royal executioner Lady Antigerrio.

"Vampires and wizards! Could things possibly get worse?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Duke Margrade" a.k.a. Jezeran 'Slick' Hessola to an accomplice on a visit to the famed thespian and retired royal executioner Lady Antigerrio.

"Vampires and wizards! Could things possibly get worse?"
    An anonymous Silent Hand scout for Brasshammer's adventuring party while on a vampire slaying mission during the Winter of Blood, said just before he found out about Dracoliches.

'So he was a vampire. And now he's a wizard. And a lich. AND a dragon. Don't you miss when a pile of bones was just that? I swear, undead these days...'

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Thrice damned Otuvia , referring to Archmage Bilimoro, soon to earn his title "The Unwise" after she found his phylactery in a pawnshop.

"It's not my fault my eyes are on stalks now."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Thrice damned Otuvia , referring to Archmage Bilimoro, soon to earn his title "The Unwise" after she found his phylactery in a pawnshop.

"It's not my fault my eyes are on stalks now."
    Archmage Bilimoro "The Unwise", about three weeks after Thrice Damned Otuvia found his phylactery in a pawnshop.

"Don't tell me to shut up! You shut up! I'm cold and I want a fire now!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Archmage Bilimoro "The Unwise", about three weeks after Thrice Damned Otuvia found his phylactery in a pawnshop.

"Don't tell me to shut up! You shut up! I'm cold and I want a fire now!"
    Lord Arbuth 'The Explorer' to Chief Nunua of the Walrus Hunter Clans after his ship, Ice Queen, was frozen into pack ice and crushed, with the loss of all but three of his crew.

"Never make a wish when it's offered by an outsider because in the end it will cost you more than it's worth."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Lord Arbuth 'The Explorer' to Chief Nunua of the Walrus Hunter Clans after his ship, Ice Queen, was frozen into pack ice and crushed, with the loss of all but three of his crew.

"Never make a wish when it's offered by an outsider because in the end it will cost you more than it's worth."
    Dwarf council member advising dwarves to avoid trusting people from outside of the dwarf community that approaches them with promises.

"Hold my hand I will pull you up"

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Hold my hand I will pull you up"
    Though he denies it, his friends insist that Crown Prince Jared uttered this line to the vampire champion Ervinden, who was skewered at the bottom of a pit-trap... before dangling his still-bloody stump just out of the hapless undead's reach, and walking away. See, Ervinden had cut that hand off not five minutes prior, an act of treachery Jared was apparently still somewhat bitter over. Admirably spiteful for a human, if true.

"Wait, these are your servants? I had assumed them some form of free-range snacks! ...I don't know whether to feel embarrassment for myself, or pity for you, that you would cling so pathetically to the vestiges of your humanity."
    Optimization Trophies

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Though he denies it, his friends insist that Crown Prince Jared uttered this line to the vampire champion Ervinden, who was skewered at the bottom of a pit-trap... before dangling his still-bloody stump just out of the hapless undead's reach, and walking away. See, Ervinden had cut that hand off not five minutes prior, an act of treachery Jared was apparently still somewhat bitter over. Admirably spiteful for a human, if true.

"Wait, these are your servants? I had assumed them some form of free-range snacks! ...I don't know whether to feel embarrassment for myself, or pity for you, that you would cling so pathetically to the vestiges of your humanity."
    Archmage Bilimoro "The Unwise" to the thrice damned Otuvia after she decided to pay dwarves for making the highest quality fortress money could afford for "Not being stabbed in the morning by random bystanders", this was followed by Otuvia wrecking all the forces of Archmage Bilimoro with an army of vampires most of them being the former "free-range snacks" of the archmage thus starting the legendary siege that was described in the piece called The Last Light of the Winter War.
    This is why this story is told to any that would not want to pay their employees or eat them.

"I still get attacked each day despite living in the best castle and having twenty guards so I suspect some of them might be sleeping during the day"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-10-05 at 05:39 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

"I still get attacked each day despite living in the best castle and having twenty guards so I suspect some of them might be sleeping during the day"
    Lord Brasshammer of Shadanna, adventurer (ret.) and only surviving member of the Silent Hand's crack vampire slaying team.

"Nothing. Fire, sunlight, garlic, holy symbols, stakes, and now beheading. I'm beginning to think we're not dealing with your ordinary run-of-the-mill vampire here. And now we're three days of midge infested swamp away from the nearest village with no clothes and an extra toe on each foot. Well, could be worse. At least it's the wrong time of year for the giant leeches."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"Nothing. Fire, sunlight, garlic, holy symbols, stakes, and now beheading. I'm beginning to think we're not dealing with your ordinary run-of-the-mill vampire here. And now we're three days of midge infested swamp away from the nearest village with no clothes and an extra toe on each foot. Well, could be worse. At least it's the wrong time of year for the giant leeches."
    Vesily the Fang Breaker, to his apprentices Kelit Silvertongue and Jared Goldenmane. After months of struggle, hunts, and increasingly inventive and desperate attempts to best the beast, it was eventually sealed at the bottom of a well in chains of gold and beneath tons of stone, though they never did determine the source of its unnatural power... or a way to kill it. A lack they came to regret decades later, when Jared's sister Princess Jasmine the Devourer managed to replicate its previously unique strain of vampirism in herself.

"Ah, so that's how this device works! Don't give me that look; I've always had servants to do this for me 'til now."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-10-06 at 11:54 PM.
    Optimization Trophies

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Ah, so that's how this device works! Don't give me that look; I've always had servants to do this for me 'til now."
    Jade Stonefel after watching Denbar Ironhand drain the bathtub.

"This plate moves this lever, which pulls this string, which turns this crank which rotates this shaft, which turns this cog, which drops this counterweight, which rings this gong. But what makes that vat of acid dump out and flood this hallway?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Otuvia, quizzing the engineers of her new fortress. The chief engineer reportedly replied 'a gentledwarf never tells'.

"That's the great thing about vampires...I can put you through as much pain as I want, but you die only if I wish it. Shall we keep going for another century? Or will you simply tell me what I want?"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"That's the great thing about vampires...I can put you through as much pain as I want, but you die only if I wish it. Shall we keep going for another century? Or will you simply tell me what I want?"
    Saleema of the Veil, who had been given a vampire as a cell-mate in an ill-advised attempt to kill her quietly. After a brief few minutes demonstrating which of them was the more dangerous monster, she proceeded to quiz him as to the state of the world outside the tower.

"You took everything from me. Did you truly expect me to just roll over and give up? No. I will see you burn, and our whole kingdom with you if that's what it takes to secure my vengeance."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-10-13 at 10:44 PM.
    Optimization Trophies

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Jared One Hand to Jasmine the Devourer after breaking her illusory disguise in the court of the Thief Queen.Though immortal, Jasmine was to discover that no one built better prisons than a gang of thieves.

"I have ever been mocked and dismissed by my kind, young one. And yet, here I am still. Curious, is it not? Step forward, then, and see if you can succeed where Dhelar did not..."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jared One Hand to Jasmine the Devourer after breaking her illusory disguise in the court of the Thief Queen.Though immortal, Jasmine was to discover that no one built better prisons than a gang of thieves.

"I have ever been mocked and dismissed by my kind, young one. And yet, here I am still. Curious, is it not? Step forward, then, and see if you can succeed where Dhelar did not..."
    Shining Talons, the wizened gryphon cult leader who crushed Dhelar of Cairn Ty a mere year earlier to Katri Fairhand in the Mountain Temple.

"I have no use for the weak. They will not stand by the strong and I will not stand among them."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Shining Talons, the wizened gryphon cult leader who crushed Dhelar of Cairn Ty a mere year earlier to Katri Fairhand in the Mountain Temple.

"I have no use for the weak. They will not stand by the strong and I will not stand among them."
    Tualtha Small Sword at the King's Moot of the White Mountain Tribes.

"Every coffin is made of stakes and every vampire must return to its coffin. First find the coffin, then slay the vampire, or you will just make it mad and give it a reason to remember you."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

-High Inquisitor Victoria in her speech to the Imperial Academy Leech Hunter graduates.

"I need no more slaves, I can find those at any graveyard. I am, however, in need of allies."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

"I need no more slaves, I can find those at any graveyard. I am, however, in need of allies."
    Keiril the Dark, requesting asylum of Dhelar of Cairn Ty. Though practically immortal, every death took its toll on him, and the living nations of the world were all too ready to exploit the growing vulnerability of the one-time "Apocalypse Mage". No one has yet dared to ask her why she tolerated his presence, but I suspect it was a combination of simple boredom and hunger for the adventurers and armies that would inevitably come seeking his head. Or maybe she weaves some deeper scheme...

"Death comes for you, on wings of silk and bearing claws of glass. When you reach the World Below, give my daughter your regards."
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2021-11-10 at 03:19 PM.
    Optimization Trophies

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Death comes for you, on wings of silk and bearing claws of glass. When you reach the World Below, give my daughter your regards."
    An excerpt from the suicide note of the first Allip, Lord Duscourt. Although it never says who it's addressed to, either his wife, son-in-law or his fiendish counsel make the most sense.

"Silver arrows! With a Smith mark and everything. Be thankful, master, someone *rich* wants us dead for a change!"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    An excerpt from the suicide note of the first Allip, Lord Duscourt. Although it never says who it's addressed to, either his wife, son-in-law or his fiendish counsel make the most sense.

"Silver arrows! With a Smith mark and everything. Be thankful, master, someone *rich* wants us dead for a change!"
    Darwin (his family is as of now still unknown), high head of the dwarven council that betrayed it by selling its location to the closest elven empire. Currently the servitor of some high ranking elves. (previously he was targetted by mobs of angry dwarves so this attack was a change of pace)

"This door is locked, I do not want to enter this place"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-11-10 at 04:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"This door is locked, I do not want to enter this place"
    The telepath Sonmiata was called upon to restore Count Avagni from an Eternal Nightmare spell. Upon placing her hand on his brow, she said only this and fled the room. Other healers concluded Avagni had cast the spell on himself, and no one could guess why.

"Angry spirits I can deal with, this one's angry and bored!"

(Sidenote: anyone else ever been angry and bored at the same time? It's not a fun combo)
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-11-11 at 08:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    The telepath Sonmiata was called upon to restore Count Avagni from an Eternal Nightmare spell. Upon placing her hand on his brow, she said only this and fled the room. Other healers concluded Avagni had cast the spell on himself, and no one could guess why.

"Angry spirits I can deal with, this one's angry and bored!"

(Sidenote: anyone else ever been angry and bored at the same time? It's not a fun combo)
    Edlar Morok, moody beetlefolk and noted exorcist about the entity possessing the second wife of Unhul, the giant, making the woman start throwing around rocks and cursing in a butchered Dwarven whenever left alone and unentertained.

"Take to wing, daughters and sons, for I tell you this: come the fifth, we shall have their walls!"