New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Cooperative Worldbuilding - A Promised Necromancy

Shaman Alaria of the Walrus Hunter druids to Lord Arbuth the Explorer as he tried to exchange a map for his freedom. As her culture emphasised self reliance and navigating by yourself, reading was not a priority.

"In hindsight, perhaps trying to scam the oracle was not my best idea. But how could I have known she would see it coming?"

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    "In hindsight, perhaps trying to scam the oracle was not my best idea. But how could I have known she would see it coming?"
    Heiron the Mad to Spymaster Arik at the fall of the Whispering Tower, speaking of Saleema of the Veil who had already escaped captivity and was begining the consolidation of her hidden armies in preparation for the coming bloodbath.

Interestingly, of the three, she was first to be slain.

"When criminals commit crimes they are hanged. When vampires commit crimes they have songs written of them. It's time to write a new song, and Blood-oath will sing it loud and clear, from mountain to sea, and every land between!"
    Last edited by brian 333; 2022-06-23 at 07:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Heiron the Mad to Spymaster Arik at the fall of the Whispering Tower, speaking of Saleema of the Veil who had already escaped captivity and was begining the consolidation of her hidden armies in preparation for the coming bloodbath.

Interestingly, of the three, she was first to be slain.

"When criminals commit crimes they are hanged. When vampires commit crimes they have songs written of them. It's time to write a new song, and Blood-oath will sing it loud and clear, from mountain to sea, and every land between!"
    Kiram the vampire shortly before being executed through having his body used as components to write a song.

"Thread that soil and you will be an example of what not to do, go away"

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    "Thread that soil and you will be an example of what not to do, go away"
    Gedrian Kiram, fallen inquisitor, at that time known as the vampire 'Bloody Kiram'. Irony ensued as his comment was directed to Inquisitor Hauella Vorkasian, former friend and colleague, who was making a last appeal to restore him to life before the battle which ended with his capture and subsequent execution.

"All roads lead to Hell. Didn't you know? No matter that the pavement is good intentions, or if the track is narrow and difficult. In the end, you die, and your individuality, your ambition, your very essence, is ground into nothing."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

"All roads lead to Hell. Didn't you know? No matter that the pavement is good intentions, or if the track is narrow and difficult. In the end, you die, and your individuality, your ambition, your very essence, is ground into nothing."
    Mardir the Wise to a large group of refugees that escaped the Sack of Pelethar, in response to shouts demanding that he "go to Hell" after his dwarven regulars blocked the path of the humans trying to flee through the foothills of the Needles towards the Stairs of Ormdieter. His bitterness was later partly ascribed to his infirmity: barely able to walk, he spoke from a sedan chair held aloft by a group of retainers standing a few paces behind the shield wall.

"She did not get to scream. The Winds that Blaze Up High consumed her, flesh and bones, before that proud, triumphant smirk could leave her face. And it was my doing."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    "She did not get to scream. The Winds that Blaze Up High consumed her, flesh and bones, before that proud, triumphant smirk could leave her face. And it was my doing."
    (I think we're a bit past the thread necromancy limit, but here goes)

Thal-Raduun, Herald of Angels. Their first major miracle was performed to break the cult that had raised them, defeating the leader in a shocking display of power and converting many of its acolytes to their Second Reformation.

I have walked upon the Lonely Road. For three days and three nights, I trod that eldritch domain, with the best and bravest of my servants and soldiers in tow. I slew and consumed all that approached us, from clawed hunters with too many eyes, to faux-travelers with their poison lies, to knights with twisted swords and piercing stride, to monsters that defied even my ability to discern and describe. Yet one by one and two by two, my minions, my friends, began to fall. Some died to ambushes. Some were twisted by the insanity that pervaded that place, turning against the rest of us. Some's spirits simply broke, and they turned off the path. By noon of the second day, I was all that remained. And by end of the third night, though I could see something in the distance, perhaps even the end of that cursed Road, I could bear no more, and stepped aside.

I fear no person nor beast nor god. But as I walked upon the Lonely Road, I understood it, just a little. It's not random. It's not mindless. It's looking for something. And that scares me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post

I have walked upon the Lonely Road. For three days and three nights, I trod that eldritch domain, with the best and bravest of my servants and soldiers in tow. I slew and consumed all that approached us, from clawed hunters with too many eyes, to faux-travelers with their poison lies, to knights with twisted swords and piercing stride, to monsters that defied even my ability to discern and describe. Yet one by one and two by two, my minions, my friends, began to fall. Some died to ambushes. Some were twisted by the insanity that pervaded that place, turning against the rest of us. Some's spirits simply broke, and they turned off the path. By noon of the second day, I was all that remained. And by end of the third night, though I could see something in the distance, perhaps even the end of that cursed Road, I could bear no more, and stepped aside.

I fear no person nor beast nor god. But as I walked upon the Lonely Road, I understood it, just a little. It's not random. It's not mindless. It's looking for something. And that scares me.
    Spoken by The Dwarf With No Shadow in the Tale of the Twisted Towers. Whether Huan Go'Thakk was really an historical figure or an amalgam of real and fictional characters is debated with each retelling of the tale, but the ruins of the Twisted Towers still exist, their broken stones sheared by unimaginably powerful forces.

"Let me die," she begged, but Aotlas The Painbringer did not, and thus he learned the truth about pain: that the worst you can ever truly know is the worst that happened to you. It is said that she still torments him, keeping him alive against his will that he might one day experience the pain he brought to others.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Let me die," she begged, but Aotlas The Painbringer did not, and thus he learned the truth about pain: that the worst you can ever truly know is the worst that happened to you. It is said that she still torments him, keeping him alive against his will that he might one day experience the pain he brought to others.
    The fate of Prince Mustapha Jahad V, foiled in his war against the Dreaming One,

"When The Lady came to my world, she brought so many factories, foreigners, and planarports. Sometimes I’m grateful we’re now so connected to the realms, my sons study at the Academy you know! I know we’re supposed to be thankful she saved us but…but the land our village shrine used to be on got demolished for that weapons factory. The sky used to be so clear… "
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lleban View Post
    The fate of Prince Mustapha Jahad V, foiled in his war against the Dreaming One,

"When The Lady came to my world, she brought so many factories, foreigners, and planarports. Sometimes I’m grateful we’re now so connected to the realms, my sons study at the Academy you know! I know we’re supposed to be thankful she saved us but…but the land our village shrine used to be on got demolished for that weapons factory. The sky used to be so clear… "
    Mardir before being recruited by force as a soldier by a nearby officer that wanted to teach him why that weapon factory was needed, he survived in the ongoing war mostly thanks to the high quality of the equipment of those factories and the very efficient standard issue sword of smog, despite those he still ended up being crippled later.

"No, no, no, I will not, I can not. Retreat and save yourselves, I am already running away"
    Last edited by noob; 2022-08-31 at 12:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    "No, no, no, I will not, I can not. Retreat and save yourselves, I am already running away"
    Nalcon of the Bow to Sir Harland Mossland and Ardenta of Shadanna late during the Day the White Mountain Rose to Stride on the Plains.
    They didn't listen.
    They should have.

"Please. Could you, perhaps, just appreciate the marvelous simplicity of this offer? I will suffer your presence, for as long as you wish it be suffered; and you, well, you will make sure I need not suffer Leif's any longer."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Nalcon of the Bow to Sir Harland Mossland and Ardenta of Shadanna late during the Day the White Mountain Rose to Stride on the Plains.
    They didn't listen.
    They should have.

"Please. Could you, perhaps, just appreciate the marvelous simplicity of this offer? I will suffer your presence, for as long as you wish it be suffered; and you, well, you will make sure I need not suffer Leif's any longer."
    (yay, thread's not dead!)

-Amir the Brotherless Gryphon, to a company of Black Hood Mercenaries that stumbled across his lair in the desolation cysts.

-I am a librarian with a lot of free time, and this is the section on disintegration. I suggest you not test my patience.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

-I am a librarian with a lot of free time, and this is the section on disintegration. I suggest you not test my patience.
    The Blood Scribe, The Eternal Sage, Tamalke Oathbound, Head Librarian of the Academy of Arcane Arts to a previously unknown student with more curiosity than common sense.

The Blood Scribe is said to have written her soul into a book using her own last drop of blood. Rumor claims it is hidden in the library of the Academy. So long as the book exists she cannot die.

Alternately, she is said to have taken an oath to defend the library forever, and her existence can only be ended when the library itself is destroyed.

The wise note that the two are not exclusive. She has been the librarian of the Academy since its founding, but still appears to be a forty year old with ink-stained fingers.

"This goes in there and that tab locks into that slot, and remember, never twist it to the left..."
    *Explosion*
    "Right. Never twist it to the right."
    Last edited by brian 333; 2022-09-18 at 01:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

"This goes in there and that tab locks into that slot, and remember, never twist it to the left..."
    *Explosion*
    "Right. Never twist it to the right."
    Paul Ruttington (of course) to a very skeptical Denbar Ironhand and a mostly clueless Jade Stonefel while accidentally weaponizing an Engine of Akkadar. Some of the Cairn Riniss refuge castle was eventually rebuilt, but it took years before the site could be safely approached on foot. The Engine was left dormant thereafter until the eight year of Gunvor's War.

"Half a moon ago a ship was sent into the bay. It anchored at the Harbour and the gifts were carried ashore; but none came from the Far Gate to meet us.
    A tenday ago, envoys were sent to the Far Gate by land; but none returned."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"Half a moon ago a ship was sent into the bay. It anchored at the Harbour and the gifts were carried ashore; but none came from the Far Gate to meet us.
    A tenday ago, envoys were sent to the Far Gate by land; but none returned."
    Admiral Bachsha of the Ryviun Tribute Fleet to the Empire of The Moon, written in his log. He had not yet discovered what would (inaccurately) be named The Zombie Plague which had engulfed the capitol city in the previous month. The Empire would die slowly, but by this point its heart had already been cut out.

"Mortals are frail and easily destroyed. This lead us to miscalculate their willingness to sacrifice themselves in uncountable numbers for abstract ideas such as 'liberty' and 'self rule.'

15. - Top - End - #105

Admiral Bachsha of the Ryviun Tribute Fleet to the Empire of The Moon, written in his log. He had not yet discovered what would (inaccurately) be named The Zombie Plague which had engulfed the capitol city in the previous month. The Empire would die slowly, but by this point its heart had already been cut out.

"Mortals are frail and easily destroyed. This lead us to miscalculate their willingness to sacrifice themselves in uncountable numbers for abstract ideas such as 'liberty' and 'self rule.'
    Said by Vizer Talishan Saban, Lord of the Naga, First of his name, Third son of Chua Te Lan, 150th Lady of the Un-Shedded Capital, to the Dragon Emperor Horus Aurelion.

"The Seven Heavenly virtues are what's left of the fools who saw the reign of Iskander and thought, not that he was a monster who slew millions, but that he was too weak, not visionary enough, or merely too mechanical to deal with mortals. Like a slave who envies his master’s hand, they learned an individual with absolute power could bend the arc of history toward justice instead of learning that no one person should have such power or that there is no singular justice that defines the end of history. "
    Last edited by Lleban; 2022-10-02 at 08:00 PM.

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

"The Seven Heavenly virtues are what's left of the fools who saw the reign of Iskander and thought, not that he was a monster who slew millions, but that he was too weak, not visionary enough, or merely too mechanical to deal with mortals. Like a slave who envies his master’s hand, they learned an individual with absolute power could bend the arc of history toward justice instead of learning that no one person should have such power or that there is no singular justice that defines the end of history. "
    The only surviving part of The Anecdota of Belius as quoted by the philosopher Sprague of the Yews. All known copies of the original work were burned on the orders of Emperor Rowntree "The Wise".

"Survivors of The Event described it as a flash, brighter than the sun, followed by an ungodly heat. This fit with observations, as a great area around the epicenter was blasted and charred. Many of the living were burned quite badly, though even those who seemed untouched developed a horrific disease of unknown cause. Magic proved unable to provide aid, and they succumbed soon after."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why be Evil when you can be Lawful?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by MrZJunior View Post
    "Survivors of The Event described it as a flash, brighter than the sun, followed by an ungodly heat. This fit with observations, as a great area around the epicenter was blasted and charred. Many of the living were burned quite badly, though even those who seemed untouched developed a horrific disease of unknown cause. Magic proved unable to provide aid, and they succumbed soon after."
    'Divine Murder' by Hartisbey, Senior Historian of The Ivory Tower of Seren Gate. The volume was a contemporary account of the murder of the God King Prisan by agents of the Duvai Empire, and was later deemed propaganda when Duvai was subsumed by the Empire of Armam.

"She was cruel. Cold. Calculating. She played man against man for idle amusement, and required the blood of their children for her sustenance. She was the worst of vampires.

And yet, after her destruction, what followed was worse."

18. - Top - End - #108

"She was cruel. Cold. Calculating. She played man against man for idle amusement and required the blood of their children for her sustenance. She was the worst of vampires.

And yet, after her destruction, what followed was worse."
    Excerpt from the sixth chapter of "Meditations on The War of Ascending Virtues" by philosopher Sprague of the Yew, written in the wake of the Yorgyo Empire's collapse

"What happened to this city? You told me it survived dragons, undead, and thousand years of darkness. You said it was the eye of the world but all I see are stones!"
    Last edited by Lleban; 2022-10-11 at 02:38 PM.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109

"What happened to this city? You told me it survived dragons, undead, and thousand years of darkness. You said it was the eye of the world but all I see are stones!"
    Lluorikh the Banished, of the White Mountain upon being shown what used to be Dunfeld from atop the Hollbork Cragg by Shining Talons and Roaring Throat. Word is, the gryphon heresiarch merely lifted a small lump of rock with his left in response and tossed it into the precipice. Word is, though it is hard to tell with the beaked folk, he almost seemed to be smiling.

"No, no, no, no. I take and take and take and take and take some more. That's what I am, I take and take. This is mine, and that is mine. It's all mine, in the end, and I'll take what is mine."
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-10-12 at 09:04 AM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Jasmine Goldenmane I, writhing on the stake. After seventeen years, her conversational skills had somewhat deteriorated.

"No no, when I said your goose was cooked I meant it literally. It will be served in just a moment."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

"No no, when I said your goose was cooked I meant it literally. It will be served in just a moment."
    M. Aril, the chef of kings to Jaques LaHaricot, famed for his burglary of the goose that laid eggs with golden yolks.

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my country! I really need the other eight for personal reasons."

22. - Top - End - #112

"I regret that I have but one life to give for my country! I really need the other eight for personal reasons."
    Djero Hendi, the Cat Lord upon being drafted into the vanguard of Abi Colona's expedition to reclaim Ker Elonar. He demonstrated not having eight more lives within the week.

"So, what now? We push in another gnome?"