New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: The XVII Princes of Oblivion

Carrying on from the last thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Whirlwind Sprint is there to allow you to carry 75,000 pounds of crap out of every dungeon.
    Absolutely this. Horses are good for this too, pity they die so easily.

For Elder Scrolls 6 I hope we get a 'summon horse' spell in the vanilla game.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    That reminds me, is there a bound bow spell? There are bound swords and I think spears, but if the book for bows exists, what's his name in Whiterun doesn't have it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    That reminds me, is there a bound bow spell? There are bound swords and I think spears, but if the book for bows exists, what's his name in Whiterun doesn't have it.
    *checks* The wiki says there is, but it's Adept level so it might not be showing up if you're low level.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

There's an adept-level Bound Bow with Bound arrows included, a novice Bound Sword, and an apprentice Bound Battleaxe spell in the base game, if I remember correctly. One of the expansions (Dawnguard, I think) adds a novice Bound Dagger as well.

Had a conjurer/illusionist that exclusively used bound weaponry, and that bow's probably the best one in the game when you add in the bound weapon perks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I believe you can only get Bound Bow from a specific bandit camp or something.

Looking into it, no apparently there is a guaranteed drop in Fort Amol (which is where I typically get it), but a few merchants do sell it: Calcelmo (Markarth), Phinis Gestor (Mage's College), and Falion (Morthal).

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I believe you can only get Bound Bow from a specific bandit camp or something.

Looking into it, no apparently there is a guaranteed drop in Fort Amol (which is where I typically get it), but a few merchants do sell it: Calcelmo (Markarth), Phinis Gestor (Mage's College), and Falion (Morthal).
    IIRC, as it's an Adept-level spell, they'll only sell it once you hit 40 in conjuration though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

You can find a Bound Bow Book in a Fort Amol. It's on the top most level, hidden in a bucket, under a lamp.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I was very surprised to learn the various court mages actually had specialties. And yes I'll agree the mechanics get samey but they're easily nodded. And the same for exploration. I want to give beyond Skyrim Bruma a shot sometime along with Wyrmstooth which is supposed to be amazing.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Spamalot in the Playground

One of the mods I'm trying out adds khajiit children to the caravans, and it's adorable watching one of those little ankle-biters chase down a bandit.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    One of the mods I'm trying out adds khajiit children to the caravans, and it's adorable watching one of those little ankle-biters chase down a bandit.
    Aww.

There really should be more children in Skyrim...

At the very least, more variety in the models used for children. I'm pretty sure there's only one boy and one girl model.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    At the very least, more variety in the models used for children. I'm pretty sure there's only one boy and one girl model.
    Aaah, the perks of 8 gigabytes of storage on DVDs.

The Xbox 360 did a lot of great things, but this one did not age well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Carrying on from the last thread...

Also me at the end of last thread.

Yes there is. Back when I didn't know what dwarven stuff was good for smelting down into dwarven ingots (And back where dwarven bows only cost the dwarven ingots and no iron) I would dive into a lot of dwarven ruins, mainly the southern mountains below riften. Turns out, it doesn't matter how encumbered you are, you can still sprint across the landscape as a werewolf. So I would Whirlwind sprint through the dungeon until I was able to get out from my spelunking. Then I would leave, turn into a werewolf, and sprint across the landscape ignoring everything that came for me. And strangely, in mountain pass that is south of the throat of the world, there was a ranger?/hunter? that had a horse camping out there. Well I killed him early on as a werewolf and he did not respawn, but it was always around that time my werewolf time ran out and I turned back to normal. And wouldn't you know it, but horses also can sprint still despite how encumbered you were. So I ended up stealing his horse and riding the second half back to whiterun. And then when I dismounted at the gates of whiterun, the horse would turn around and walk back to the same place, so it worked out great for me!
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Aww.

There really should be more children in Skyrim...

Second this. And more detailed ones. They all look like Attack of the Dough-faced Oblivion NPCs as-is.

And while we’re on the subject, more variety for the monster models too. It’s weird that all the bandits have a variety of hair color, hair styles, and facial markings, but all the wolves, trolls, etc. are clones of one another. If you see a wolf with a different color of fur it’s because it’s a different species of wolf.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't mind non-human children too.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

100% not what Dragonborn means.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd like to see some more non-human children just so the cultures are forced to actually accommodate them. cough orcs cough.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #18

TES 6 question:

Would you like to see Attributes back, keep it like the Perk system in Skyrim or Hybridize it?

I don't miss Speed from Oblivion for instance when I played a heavy Orc warrior...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Arvak is the GOAT.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    TES 6 question:

Would you like to see Attributes back, keep it like the Perk system in Skyrim or Hybridize it?

I don't miss Speed from Oblivion for instance when I played a heavy Orc warrior...
    Not gonna lie, it was annoying trying to maximize my gains to attributes in Morrowind. The Perk system works ok, but it does mean characters are a bit more same-y. Not sure how you thread the needle between the two, I would keep the perks + hp/stamina/magic approach Skyrim has. Good enough.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd like to see attributes back, but with a better system for increasing them.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #22

TES 6 question:

Honestly, I woulnd't mind doing something similar to what they did in Fallout 4.

Just... List out the various skills and put a huge list of perks under each one. Every time you level up you can boost a skill or take a perk, you get XP for killing enemies, exploring the world, completing quests, crafting stuff(with Skyrim's level of focus in crafting, not FO4's) and so on.

And the level cap is nonexistent or so high that if you wanted to, you could eventually become a master of everything, but encounters are scaled so that you don't have to.

I'm not sure how Health, Magicka, and Stamina would be handled under this system... Maybe make them "skills" with their own set of perks? Or tie them to the total score of the "warrior," "mage," and "thief" skills respectively.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

I kinda liked the perk system in Skyrim, but I think that certain skills really need to work some other way. Smithing in particular was just grinding. I think that such skills shouldn't be actual 1-100 skills, but instead just perk trees, maybe with a charlevel-dependent unlocking system (you need to have reached a certain level to unlock e.g. steel armour).

I think that it would be good also because you don't need to craft that many weapons and armour parts for yourself. When you get a perk, you improve what you have or create something new and that's it for a few levels, instead of creating hundreds of daggers (which I guess you could still do, for example for trading, but you wouldn't need to).
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #24

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    The Perk system works ok, but it does mean characters are a bit more same-y.
    I wouldn't say that. A character built as a stealth archer will play significantly differently from one built as a two-handed berserker even with the perk system as is. If there's an issue it's that combat in Skyrim really isn't complex enough to make a huge variety of characters--it comes down to archery, magery or swordery (yes, I know that's not a word!). That, plus things like the entire Lockpicking skill tree being largely useless, reduces the variety somewhat.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    instead of creating hundreds of daggers
    For my smithing characters it was rings.

I would join the Companions, then run off and explore in certain areas a couple of quests to get the transmutation spell and unlock a couple of gold, silver, and iron mines on the map.

I'd fast travel, fill my inventory with various ores, transmute them till all I had was gold, then forge gold rings and sell them to every merchant who'd by them from me. If I raised any given involved skill enough to level up, I'd immediately run for Kodlack and spend money on Blackmsith training till either I hit my training limit for that level.

Then wait until the mines respawned and start again.

I also did the quests to join the Orc Strongholds and cleared got the one with the Ebony mine on my map so once I got to Blacksmithing 100 I could easily forge and upgrade a set of Deadric Armor.

Nothng makes you feel as invincible as running around with a maxed-out armor ranking and the best possible unenchanted weapon for your preferred fighting style when the NPC enemies are still using iron.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

TES 6 question:

The thing I most miss from Oblivion is spellcasting. In Skyrim you need a free hand, and there's only one light spell which doesn't last long (there's that cast a ball of light thing, but it lasts about the same time, and you still need a free hand), so you are forever changing weapons to get a free hand, casting light, changing back to the bow (obviously), running out of light, swapping weapons and so on. In Oblivion, you had a cast spell key, it didn't matter whether you had a hand free, and there were five light spells, the first was awful, but the last really lit things up, lasted for a useful length of time and you didn't need to change weapons to cast it again. Changing weapons to heal yourself is also a big drag for me.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-07-17 at 10:32 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

27. - Top - End - #27

I'd fast travel, fill my inventory with various ores, transmute them till all I had was gold, then forge gold rings and sell them to every merchant who'd by them from me. If I raised any given involved skill enough to level up, I'd immediately run for Kodlack and spend money on Blackmsith training till either I hit my training limit for that level.
    I think you meant Eorlund, Kodlak is the faction leader, not the master blacksmith.

My favorite place to get iron early game is Halted Steam Camp and Embershard Mine. Fairly close to Whiterun, and it's easy to get Breezehome unless you're doing a no-dragon run. Actually, you could... forgot you just need to return the Dragonstone, not clear the tower.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2021-07-17 at 10:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The thing I most miss from Oblivion is spellcasting. In Skyrim you need a free hand, and there's only one light spell which doesn't last long (there's that cast a ball of light thing, but it lasts about the same time, and you still need a free hand), so you are forever changing weapons to get a free hand, casting light, changing back to the bow (obviously), running out of light, swapping weapons and so on. In Oblivion, you had a cast spell key, it didn't matter whether you had a hand free, and there were five light spells, the first was awful, but the last really lit things up, lasted for a useful length of time and you didn't need to change weapons to cast it again. Changing weapons to heal yourself is also a big drag for me.
    Agreed. I could handle it being like Morrowind where you can switch between an active spell set and an active weapon set with a single button pretty handily. But the favorites menu is just too cumbersome i think to have weapons and shouts and spells all on it at once.

29. - Top - End - #29

I think you meant Eorlund, Kodlak is the faction leader, not the master blacksmith.

My favorite place to get iron early game is Halted Steam Camp and Embershard Mine. Fairly close to Whiterun, and it's easy to get Breezehome unless you're doing a no-dragon run. Actually, you could... forgot you just need to return the Dragonstone, not clear the tower.
    Yeah, Eorlund,.

It's been a while since I've actually played.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Agreed. I could handle it being like Morrowind where you can switch between an active spell set and an active weapon set with a single button pretty handily. But the favorites menu is just too cumbersome i think to have weapons and shouts and spells all on it at once.
    Favourites? That reminds me, I hate it when the draguar (Deathlords?) disarm you and when you pick the weapon up again, it's gone from your favourites menu, and you have to set it up again. The spells business is still more annoying though, because it happens more often.