New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: The XVII Princes of Oblivion

Morrowind might be the perfect distraction, while I wait for The Community to repair the damage to Skyrim. Thank you for that idea.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #542
    Banned

I just wish Morrowind had a better interface, and slightly better graphics. I've tried a few mods but none of them made the game playable for me. That UI aged poorly.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Big same from me. It doesn't help that the default control scheme is really bizarre too.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Colossus in the Playground

Skywind will be out any day now, guys. Any day now.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I read that as Skyrim for a second and thought, "Did they do another Skyrim port for a platform I've never heard of?"
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

6. - Top - End - #546

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I just wish Morrowind had a better interface, and slightly better graphics. I've tried a few mods but none of them made the game playable for me. That UI aged poorly.
    Maybe to you; to me, it's still the best UI in any of the 'recent' TES games that I've played.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    There's actually a mod I really like and forgot to post earlier: UI Expanded https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46071 The main reason why I like it is that, when you trade, it automatically hides items that the trader doesn't buy. It also adds search by name for items and spells.

This one instead uses a SkyUI-like look https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46071 and sounds like something you would like. I am not really clear on what it is, however, and whether it works with MWSE. I also prefer the original interface.

MGE XE allows you to use point-by-point illumination, which is the system the STALKER games pioneered (I believe they were the first to use it exclusively). Plus you get new shaders. I can post a bigger list, if anyone is interested.

I also have a couple mods I made myself, one has the Imperial legion give you identifying rings you can use as uniform instead of their heavy armour. It's mostly to avoid a silly weight tax. The second one is a mod that disables spellcasting failure, although that one needs to work in tandem with some other mod that upgrades what magical skills do, or they become useless.

And graphics are relative. There's a recent Imperial building remake, for example, that looks better thank Skyrim, to me. https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49735

And there's arcane stuff like the project Atlas, that allows for hi-res textures that get much lighter on the system. However, it's true that modding and modding doesn't help stability. OpenMW would probably be better, but it's not compatible with MGE XE and the Lua mods I use.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2021-11-22 at 01:16 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Like the rest of the Skyrim modding world, I would guess Skywind will have suffered a setback from the Anniversary Edition update. We can probably add another year or so to that.

I wonder if Bethesda intended to break so many mods, as a way of reasserting control of their game and trying to win more people over to the Creation Club.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #549
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Like the rest of the Skyrim modding world, I would guess Skywind will have suffered a setback from the Anniversary Edition update. We can probably add another year or so to that.

I wonder if Bethesda intended to break so many mods, as a way of reasserting control of their game and trying to win more people over to the Creation Club.
    What's one more year added to infinity? Cause it's never coming out anyway. There's a reason they haven't even given a tentative release date for all these years, and it's probably not "we're making great progress and it's almost done"

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

Skyblivion, on the other hand, looks like it might actually arrive some time before Elder Scrolls VI comes out.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Spamalot in the Playground

I don't think it's malice. Skyrim mods can break just from Creation club message updates in the title screen. It's just the nature of programming when you modify a game executable. This is why I disabled automatic updates in Steam and made a backup of the exe file.

It took me an hour last Sunday to fix my mod instability issues and dang it if I'm gonna let an update break that again. ^^
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Skyrim mods break because they feel like it. Even if nothing changes.

Heck I had a mod that would be fine 80% of the time then just break every fifth load of the game. No rhyme or reason just would fail. And then be fine again.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I don't think it's malice. Skyrim mods can break just from Creation club message updates in the title screen. It's just the nature of programming when you modify a game executable. This is why I disabled automatic updates in Steam and made a backup of the exe file.
    Sure, I know that of course. This isn't the first update I've experienced. But it is, far and away, the worst. Heck, I think it may be worse than the change from Oldrim to SE. At least with that, we all knew what we had to do.

Plugins are worst affected - basic utilities like Uncapper, or the one that skips the repeated confirmation boxes you have to click through when crafting. And it's not just a quick fix they need, it's several days of hard work.

But other mods are broken in subtle and hard to diagnose ways, that modders themselves may not even have noticed yet. For instance, I tried playing Maelstrom last weekend - which went fine right up to when I tried to turn a pillar in one of the puzzles. You know, just like the pillars in the main game that have different animals on the three sides? - but with runes instead of animals. The pillar just won't turn. Makes it hard to solve the puzzle. Everything else is fine, but the pillar just sits there like it's solidly built in to the floor.

My own quest-skipping mod - seems to work, shows every sign of working, but then I notice Alik'r warrior encounters on the roads that should be disabled. They *were* disabled, dammit. But they're back. It's a very small thing, barely affects anything, but it's a new bug and I don't know how many more like it there may be.

Right now I suspect you could start a long adventure mod, like Rigmor, and invest several hours in it before you reach the new game-breaking bug. That's pretty much the worst of all possible worlds.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's definitely one of the worst breakages, but I still do not believe it was intentional on Bethesda's part to break our mods. They wanted to make a big update for the anniversary and they did so. They aren't going to hold off on updates for third party modders like us.

I'm sure the community will figure things out and update their mods. Maybe it won't be as bad as when Skyrim went to SE edition and modders had to rebuild a bunch of mods up from scratch with a new creation kit.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #555

It's probably worth looking at the positive side: Skyrim is still being maintained.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

16. - Top - End - #556
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    It's probably worth looking at the positive side: Skyrim is still being maintained.
    Why wouldn't they maintain the only game they actually put any development effort into?

17. - Top - End - #557

There's a new version of OpenMW out. If I understand correctly, the one after this should have Lua support. If modders were to convert MWSE Lua mods to work with OpenMW, I would cross to OpenMW.

About the grayed out subjects in the dialogue window, I think UI Expanded has that for MWSE. It's a nice improvement. Topics that would yield unique answers from a character are blue instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

There have been two more releases of Skyrim since the hideous "AE" update, and I'm happy to report that progress has been made.

My optimism was piqued by seeing that the latest (mid-December) update, 1.6.342, was billed as "fixing many minor bugs". I've never before seen Bethesda even officially acknowledge that there were actual bugs in Skyrim, so this was surely a step in the right direction. And an update that's not focused on introducing "new content" or slinging the Creation Club in one's face - must surely be welcome.

And sure enough, it does fix most of the problems that AE introduced. (And also, allegedly, some issues that have been there for years, such as the infamous "shooting downwards" bug.) There's still an issue with plugins (DLL-based mods) created for SE, but apart from that, everything seems to be in order now. Most of my mod list is working again.

As for the "bonus" free content - meh. Saints and Seducers is, frankly, crap. It seems to be unlevelled, meaning that if you tackle it at low level you'll face near invincible enemies but you'll get ridiculously overlevelled rewards - such as four 'Summon' spells that net you very powerful daedra, for less than half the cost of summoning a familiar. You get two quite useless and unattractive "pets", decent swords, bows, and armour - although this last only if your Dragonborn is either female or transvestite, because Bethesda's pride in ownership hasn't extended to making the stuff unisex like most every other clothing in the world.

I haven't tried Survival Mode. Maybe I'll give it a shot, but only when I get really fed up with everything else, and it's been ten years already so that could take a while.

But I do like "Fishing". Not that I've tried it, you understand - can you imagine anything more dull? - but it adds a few new species to the rivers and menus, it's unobtrusive and doesn't clutter up your journal needlessly. It's nice to know it's there if I feel like that change of pace. Adds a much-needed minilayer of depth to the game world. About twenty more mods like that, and it would start to feel quite - organic.

19. - Top - End - #559

Yeah, some of the Creation Club stuff seems to be rather... swingy. Staff of Hasedoki(60 second Soul Trap, single target knock back about on par of a full Unrelenting Force and constant ward effect) and the Bow of Shadows(invisibility when drawn and faster draw speed then Zephyr) come to mind. It's not hard to become an near invincible demi-god(if you don't use console commands), but you at least had to do some quests and/or level up your enchanting/alchemy first.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

But I do like "Fishing". Not that I've tried it, you understand - can you imagine anything more dull? - but it adds a few new species to the rivers and menus, it's unobtrusive and doesn't clutter up your journal needlessly. It's nice to know it's there if I feel like that change of pace. Adds a much-needed minilayer of depth to the game world. About twenty more mods like that, and it would start to feel quite - organic.
    I finally rolled up my conjuror over Christmas and I’ve dipped my toe into fishing a bit. Generally I agree with you, more specific feedback is as follows:

Spoiler: Fishing
    Show
    • Keeping in mind I’ve only used it a few times so far, I wish I could do something more with my catches besides cook them - all the alchemy regent fishes I’ve actually caught with the rod were preexisting fishes, and the only quasi-exception was the Juvenile Mudcrab, which I found while wandering rather than fishing for. Maybe the ratio will change when I get deeper into it.
    • Speaking of, this exacerbates an issue I’ve had with cooking since vanilla - namely, you need salt for everything, and there is little to nothing you can make without it, as the ONLY thing you can make with most items is “Roast [ITEM]”. This makes the food inventory management very clunky for very little benefit. (Some of you may recall that I prefer the ESO system of ingredients? This is why. All of your ESO white quality fish get filleted into ONE generic ‘fish’ item, so you have one slot in the inventory taken up instead of fifty.)
    • Occasionally catching random junk (so far: a bottle of Alto wine and two buckets) amuses me, so nice touch to the mod maker there.
    • Supposedly there are fishing spots in the overland maps, but so far I’ve only found them in dungeons. (I admit I have not gone out of my way to look for them.)
    • If there’s a way to target specific fish I’ve not run into it yet, but I’ve got a quest taking me to Riften so we’ll see if that changes.
    • Having to equip the fishing rod to fish is a little annoying (I don’t have to specifically equip my pickaxe or hatchet to mine or chop wood respectively, why fishing?)

Unrelated, I’ve been playing ESO for too long because now every time my character plays the ‘mining’ animation I think to myself: this would be a lot more interesting if I were using the Antiquities dig system instead of having to stop playing for fifteen seconds every time I dig. I like being able to dig up my raw materials the way Zenithar intended but I hope it’s more interesting in Elder Scrolls VI.

EDIT:

Several hours of wandering and a Dragon attack later, I made it to Riften.

Spoiler
    Show

The NPCs the quest directs you to have very, very minimal dialog and communicate primarily by handing you notes. I suspect this is so the modmaker could use pre-canned dialog, but the effect is jarring and unnatural. If it had been me I’d have directed the user to the book first instead, as that seems to be nicely informative. Maybe have the fishing bounty quests come from a notice board or something. </soapbox>

Unrelated, I’m blaming the presence of goldfish in Skyrim on nobles releasing unwanted pets.

In short so far it feels very much like a mod rather than a DLC.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2022-01-03 at 09:18 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Unrelated, I’ve been playing ESO for too long because now every time my character plays the ‘mining’ animation I think to myself: this would be a lot more interesting if I were using the Antiquities dig system instead of having to stop playing for fifteen seconds every time I dig. I like being able to dig up my raw materials the way Zenithar intended but I hope it’s more interesting in Elder Scrolls VI.
    Not sure what Zenithar intended, but you know you can mine without using the canned animation in Skyrim? Equip the pickaxe to your right (or left, I imagine) hand, and just hack away at the ore seam as if it were an enemy.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure what Zenithar intended, but you know you can mine without using the canned animation in Skyrim? Equip the pickaxe to your right (or left, I imagine) hand, and just hack away at the ore seam as if it were an enemy.
    Random High Elf: *hacks away at Lorkhan's Prison with wild abandon*
    Thalmor: Inappreciate your spirit, but that's not going to work.
    Random High Elf: *works so hard they accidentally mantle Zenithar and ascend to Aetherius*
    Thalmor: Hey, wait!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #563

Even better, you can use the Elemental Fury shout to swing faster.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

I did not! Thank you, I’ll try that!

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Random High Elf: *hacks away at Lorkhan's Prison with wild abandon*
    Thalmor: Inappreciate your spirit, but that's not going to work.
    Random High Elf: *works so hard they accidentally mantle Zenithar and ascend to Aetherius*
    Thalmor: Hey, wait!

EDIT:
    I’m about level 20 now and it’s getting to the point where the Flame Atronach I conjure is barely more than a distraction for the things I’m fighting, hopefully the College will have some better summons.

Unrelated, I forgot how clunky the Skyrim UI is. I know some of this is because they wanted it to work with consoles, but not all of it, and I really, really, really hope that Elder Scrolls 6 does it better.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2022-01-06 at 09:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I’m about level 20 now and it’s getting to the point where the Flame Atronach I conjure is barely more than a distraction for the things I’m fighting, hopefully the College will have some better summons.
    Anything other than daedra warriors is a minor distraction (and even those suck against bosses) but the storm atronach's lightning drains MP rendering enemy mages literally helpless, including Dragon Priests and Dragons.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My present DB summoned Dark Seducers for a while, which was not as exciting as it sounds but remained useful beyond level 30. After completing the main quest, "Call of Valour" makes a pretty good indoor summon.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Anything other than daedra warriors is a minor distraction (and even those suck against bosses) but the storm atronach's lightning drains MP rendering enemy mages literally helpless, including Dragon Priests and Dragons.
    I haven’t found a spell book for those yet, so right now I’m settling for ‘lasts more than one hit from a bear.’ My conjuror is squishy and Lydia tends to get left behind when I take shortcuts down hillsides.

I did start the College questline, and got the Frost Atronach summon from the Conjuration teacher there. It’s working okay for now, my dunmer was more excited to learn that Skyrim has its own bug armor after poking around in Stillborn Cave. So she might swap over to heavy armor and maybe that will solve some of the squishy problem too. I really need more ways to boost my carry weight in that case though.

Spoiler: Fishing update
    Show
    I still haven’t got the last fish I need for the first quest, but I think I’m too far north for the Goldfish at the moment (last fishing attempt was in the seas around Winterhold).

28. - Top - End - #568

My present DB summoned Dark Seducers for a while, which was not as exciting as it sounds but remained useful beyond level 30. After completing the main quest, "Call of Valour" makes a pretty good indoor summon.
    How does the Dark Seducer stack up to the Wrathman summon you can find in the Soul Cairn?

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    How does the Dark Seducer stack up to the Wrathman summon you can find in the Soul Cairn?
    Not as powerful. But easier to find (in the sense that you don't have to go through the whole rigmarole of the Dawnguard questline).

You get four spells at essentially the same time, summoning Dark Seducers and Golden Saints as Warriors or Archers. I haven't experimented with the Archer versions, frankly I can't think of a good use for them. Warrior-wise, the Seducer moves faster, the Saint is a bit more tanky, although she still doesn't last long against four Falmer Nightprowlers.

The big attraction, frankly, is that all four summons are ridiculously cheap to cast - significantly cheaper than a standard Familiar - so I can just keep spamming them pretty much as long as I like.

30. - Top - End - #570

I just had flashbacks to the Soul Cairn and hunting down Jiub's lost opus. One of the notes clipped through the floor and I think I reee'd for about a minute. I remedied it by blasting the area with a fireball and luckily the note dropped through to a lower a level. Bethesda sure loves open spaces and find x items in it!

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2022-01-10 at 11:38 PM.