New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: The XVII Princes of Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I’m still not following your leap of logic for how ‘I don’t have the materials to enchant my sword’ is somehow self-inflicted, unless you expect me to console-command in a filled Soul Gem. Sorry, but I want to actually play the game.
    You didn't say that you lacked the materials to enchant your sword, you said that you lacked a mammoth's soul with which to enchant your sword. There are a great many non-mammoth creatures in Skyrim with souls suitable for enchanting, and while most of them are not nearly as good as mammoth souls are a great many of them are also significantly more readily available - for example the Falmer that you've apparently been fighting. If you really need every scrap of damage you can get, then it seems to me that you ought to be willing to enchant your sword with the best available soul rather than holding out for the best soul. Your complaint about inadequate damage thus strikes me as a self-inflicted problem because it seems to me that you're holding off on enchanting your sword until you can get the best soul and so are missing out on damage that you could have (and claim to want) now when you could instead enchant it with the best available soul to get some additional damage now and then replace your current sword later on once you've had time to obtain a better soul.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    And if you don't, as in you're playing a purely vanilla game...why is it an issue? There are like 30 spells in Skyrim, it shouldn't be that hard to remember which ones you know lol.
    There are only 30 spells but they have a lot of similar names - Candlelight and Magelight f.ex.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Today's Big Content Mod is "The Second Great War".

Basically, it's a rerun of the civil war with Thalmor skins. The civil war has to be completed first, but you can just click a box in the MCM to say which side you supported and it gets completed for you. That's a nice feature.

It's about the best feature, though. I won't go into detail, but the questline - and sidequests - are over-scripted and just not that interesting. The first two battles - defending Riften and Markarth - are scripted to be lost (so, completely pointless really), and Falkreath falls without you even being there. But none of this makes any difference, any more than the Civil War did. The same jarls go on ruling the occupied holds, the same people go about the same daily routines, guards who just happen to be Thalmor - continue to treat you with the same benign contempt as their human counterparts did. Lakeview Manor is untouched. The Rikke-equivalent tells you to kill any Thalmor you happen to see out on the roads (although - who doesn't do that anyway?), and that's a nice little blood sport, but it's as useless as it is harmless.

The Dominion apparently has an overwhelming numerical advantage. How, exactly, it bred and trained so many elves so quickly after the last great war - is not explained or even mused over, and if anyone is serious about writing this mod, I suggest that would be a profitable line of enquiry. (They do have khajiit, of course, who I could well believe are fast breeders, but they're only a minority of the army.)

Today I played through the finale, and I'd like to reserve a special dose of blech for that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rather than pursuing the fleeing Thalmor across the Jeralls to champion the liberation of Cyrodiil, you're sent to an unmapped cave to take out their commander.

When you finally face her, you start by putting your sword away. That's never a good sign. Then she delivers an interminable monologue, long enough to run down all your precast buffs, which you just have to stand there and listen to (as opposed to, e.g., simply Shouting her headfirst into the far wall of the cave, which would have been my opening gambit). Then you get to start fighting her, only to find that whenever her health bar drops more than about 25%, she teleports behind a force wall and summons minions at you. And she's able to do this teleporting trick even if she's flying headfirst through the air towards the far wall of the cave at the time.

(You can cast summons - and only summons - through the wall of force, which is a bit of a gap in her defence. Or it would be, but for the fact that she takes no damage from anything while on the far side. I know because I 'disabled' it. Hey, if she's going to cheat, why shouldn't I?)

Once you deal with all her minions, it seems she's pretty much out of tricks and can be taken out like any other powerful spellsword. So she dies - only to promptly pop back up as a ghost and gloat at you all over again. And this time you can't even do anything about it. (Maybe if I'd soul-trapped her it would have shut her up, but I'm betting not. She's probably immune to that too.)

Frustrating, unfulfilling, and frankly rather tedious. Very like the Civil War itself, really, but less polished in execution.
    Last edited by veti; 2022-01-26 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

4. - Top - End - #604
    Firbolg in the Playground

Lol, that Thalmor sounds a lot like Vaarsuvius.

I tried that mod, but I never finished it. Skyrim just doesn't have a good enough combat system for battles as large and long as they can be set up, and I was almost invulnerable by then, which was one more cause of boredom.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Lol, that Thalmor sounds a lot like Vaarsuvius.

I tried that mod, but I never finished it.
    Sound move on your part. I was sorely tempted, but resolved to get through it in case any great bits had been worked in somewhere.

They weren't. The ending is simply an animated narration, like the end of a Fallout DLC.

The Thalmor has better gear than Vaarsuvius, but considerably lower INT and none of the dry wit, sadly. A little bit of humour would have improved the mod considerably.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

A friend of mine just got addicted to Skyrim, and so I'm asking for a reminder of which mods are must-have improvements to the game. The sort that make the game more functional and should have been features included by default, like SkyUI.
    "I don't approve of society, so I try not to participate in it."
    =====

Avatar of Karl the human by Bradakhan

7. - Top - End - #607
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVid View Post
    A friend of mine just got addicted to Skyrim, and so I'm asking for a reminder of which mods are must-have improvements to the game. The sort that make the game more functional and should have been features included by default, like SkyUI.
    Enairim sounds like what your looking for to me. its basically a bunch of mods made by EnaiSiaion who combined together is just supposed to make all the stuff already in skyrim better, there is an entire subreddit about it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

‘More functional’ might be a stretch and I’m uncertain which have been ported to the latest edition, but I’ll recommend ‘Silence is Golden’ (cuts down on the constant un-asked for chatter of the NPCs) and Left Handed Rings (lets you wear two rings at once).

9. - Top - End - #609
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm a fan of Amazing Follower Tweaks, which helps you customize and manage your adventuring companions. You can change their combat styles, set what equipment they use separate from whatever vendor trash you ask them to carry, and one of the most important parts-- an option to force them to catch up to you if they got stuck somewhere and fell way behind. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

AFT also has the neat option to give followers diferent outfits they wear in towns/at home, which can be a bit buggy, but is actually quite nice when you think about how weird it can be to be going everywhere with people in full sets of spiky armour worth more than the average mansion.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

There's one that tweaks the order for the Transmute spell... instead of turning any silver into gold, then any iron into silver (and then into gold), it turns all iron into silver, then all silver into gold, letting you more finely tune your transmutation.

I like the one that opens up options on weapon summoning... it has some weapon and shield combos, not just "dagger, sword, big sword, and bow."

Not 100% useful, but there's also one that replaces all your dialogue with Khajiit accented text... you say the same things, but you say them like a Khajiit, rather than being the only Khajiit who speaks like a Nord.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Titan in the Playground

While my bias would say "get Ordinator and Apocalypse", those technically don't make the game more functional; just more fun.

Static Mesh Improvement Mod (SMIM) is a good one. Makes everything look better while also increasing performance. The Unofficial Patch(es), of course, though you probably already recommended it to them.

One I recently installed: Super Fast Get Up Animation; makes NPCs get out of bed faster (including enemies).

13. - Top - End - #613
    Firbolg in the Playground

Some ambience mods are those for realistic lightning (although this means having to use light spells or torches) and those which add wild animals like wolf packs and herds of wild horses. I found they made the environment more lively.

Convenient horses is a good way to deal with inventory and encumbrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    AFT also has the neat option to give followers diferent outfits they wear in towns/at home, which can be a bit buggy, but is actually quite nice when you think about how weird it can be to be going everywhere with people in full sets of spiky armour worth more than the average mansion.
    If it could do the same for the PC, I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm fed up with realising I just fought through a whole dungeon still wearing my "smithing" gear.

I'd really like to see at least a feature that makes people remove their full helmets, when they're in a peaceful place. Just seems like minimal courtesy, y'know?

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

AFT has the option to have followers only helmet up while actively in combat.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

16. - Top - End - #616
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    that opens up options on weapon summoning... it has some weapon and shield combos, not just "dagger, sword, big sword, and bow."

Not 100% useful, but there's also one that replaces all your dialogue with Khajiit accented text... you say the same things, but you say them like a Khajiit, rather than being the only Khajiit who speaks like a Nord.
    I've played this game for years and never found a magic book on Bound Bow. Always had to just console command myself one.

I second Khajiit Speak. It's a simple mod that adds a lot of immersion if you play Khajiit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Convenient horses is a good way to deal with inventory and encumbrance.
    Plus having a horn to summon your horse from any outside zone is pretty darn convinient. :3

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I'm fed up with realizing I just fought through a whole dungeon still wearing my "smithing" gear.
    Oof. That is... I mean it's kinda funny at the same time I do feel for you. I wish I had a better outfit management system for when I want to switch to my smithing gear and back.

Legacy of the Dragonborn seems to have this in the bedroom of the safehouse, but I'm still trying to figure it out.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I've played this game for years and never found a magic book on Bound Bow.
    Theres one hanging out on/in a bucket in... i think its the fort near Whiterun. Its actually probably the easiest and earliest bound weapon to get a hold of if you know where to look.

Personally bound weapons have always been a bit dubiously useful to me, but the fact that each slot is its own spell in Skyrim instead of being able to summon all your bound equipment with one spell really makes it even less useful than it was in Oblivion. A conjuration mage with just a sword is still just a squishy wizard.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #618
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Theres one hanging out on/in a bucket in... i think its the fort near Whiterun. Its actually probably the easiest and earliest bound weapon to get a hold of if you know where to look.

Personally bound weapons have always been a bit dubiously useful to me, but the fact that each slot is its own spell in Skyrim instead of being able to summon all your bound equipment with one spell really makes it even less useful than it was in Oblivion. A conjuration mage with just a sword is still just a squishy wizard.
    Fort Amol, specifically, the Fort Amol Prison cell. In a bucket, under an unlit lantern. There's hidden stuff all over. Found some Moonsilver ignots in the College Midden. In a wicker basket. On of the ceiling beams. A level designer was having some fun there.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

19. - Top - End - #619

I love bound weapons... saves so much weight. I don't need to carry a bow, just summon one when I want to open with a snipe. I don't need to carry a sword or a shield. Sure, I wear my armor, but the weapons are taken care of... and a perk'd out summoned weapon also fills soul gems for your specialty weapons.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

I found Bound Sword to be nicely useful at the low levels. But it can’t be tempered, so after that it’s mostly something I can keep casting to boost my Conjuration skill, sadly. Having a Bound Complete Kit spell at the higher levels would be nice.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I love bound weapons... saves so much weight. I don't need to carry a bow, just summon one when I want to open with a snipe. I don't need to carry a sword or a shield. Sure, I wear my armor, but the weapons are taken care of... and a perk'd out summoned weapon also fills soul gems for your specialty weapons.
    I like them conceptually, i just dont think the vanilla game offers enough support for the style to really differentiate it from just having regular weapons on hand.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #622

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I found Bound Sword to be nicely useful at the low levels. But it can’t be tempered, so after that it’s mostly something I can keep casting to boost my Conjuration skill, sadly. Having a Bound Complete Kit spell at the higher levels would be nice.
    I made the heck out of those in Morrowind. "Armoring Charm" I called them.
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

Apocalypse had a cool one called Prepare for Adventure that summoned some basic mage gear, but also a random staff which could be all the way up to Lightning Bolt. And would regen each time you cast. So you could cast it and then have the staff until the spell ran out or resummon to reroll if you weren't happy or it wasn't the right element.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Apocalypse had a cool one called Prepare for Adventure that summoned some basic mage gear, but also a random staff which could be all the way up to Lightning Bolt. And would regen each time you cast. So you could cast it and then have the staff until the spell ran out or resummon to reroll if you weren't happy or it wasn't the right element.
    Yeah, I forget whether its apocalypse or other spell mod, but there is a spell called Ocato's Recital where you can store three spells so that they are auto-cast at the beginning of every combat without you spending mana or do anything. so you can store up self buffs so that at every time combat starts, you are at your best. its really good for alteration stuff like having magic armor skin or whatever. pretty sure prepare for adventure was one of the spells that can be stored into it, if I recall correctly, though honestly as the levels climb it becomes one of the less good uses as you get better gear.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah that's also Alocalypse. I usually put Candlelight, an armor spell and some other defensive buff in. Prepare's a novice spell so it getting outclassed is to be expected but early on it's super handy.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I use Ocato's a lot as well. I typically do an armor spell, an elemental cloak of whatever theme im going for on that character, and typically some third survival spell, whatever i have available at the time. Its such a great thing.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My favourite (overpowered) spell is Earthbound Weapon, from Forgotten Spells. When powered up, it doubles recovery of both stamina and magicka, doubles duration of all alteration spells, and kicks off a regeneration spell whenever my health drops below 70%. It has room for a couple more effects as well, but I don't usually manage to think of anything else I need...

28. - Top - End - #628
    Titan in the Playground

Forgotten Magic has some neat stuff. The Phoenix Charge or whatever power/spell that lets you zip to a target and explode on them can actually make combats feel really dynamic. Kill a guy in front of you, target the guy on the top of the tower in the distance, teleport in front of and gank him, shoot some fireballs down at the people below, whip out your weapon, zip back down into a dude's face, etc. **** is so fun.

Now I wanna boot Skyrim back up and play a Spellblade again.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-02-02 at 03:45 AM.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Forgotten Magic has some neat stuff. The Phoenix Charge or whatever power/spell that lets you zip to a target and explode on them can actually make combats feel really dynamic. Kill a guy in front of you, target the guy on the top of the tower in the distance, teleport in front of and gank him, shoot some fireballs down at the people below, whip out your weapon, zip back down into a dude's face, etc. **** is so fun.

Now I wanna boot Skyrim back up and play a Spellblade again.
    Currently doing a relatively vanilla run (essential mods, of course) specializing in Conjuration, Alteration, Restoration, Archery and One-Handed (axe and ward, generally). Really fun "ranger" build, especially with Vigilance as my permanent animal companion

Might want to check out Forgotten magic: it sounds fun.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

so.....weird thing that happened with my skyrim SE cloud save on Steam.

the cloud save says its only saved as far back as February 3. okay. probably normal.

the weird thing is my local files say that I last saved on Wednesday december 31, 1969. which I'm pretty certain is impossible.

my skyrim se is modded, so it makes me afraid that somehow skyrim SE doesn't remember the modded saves and if I pick local it'll be overwritten so that they don't work anymore but I don't want it to be overwritten by the cloud save either. is there something I should do, or am I worrying over nothing?