New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: The XVII Princes of Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Cloud Ruler Temple?
    That'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Fort Dawnguard? I was going to say Dragonsreach too, but I’m not sure if it counts.
    I put that more in the "city" category. Like, yes, it has fortifications (as does Riften, Solitude, Windhelm, and Markath), but they're mostly cities.

Wasn't Fort Dawnguard a ruin when you found it? Or just aggressively uninhabited?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Wasn't Fort Dawnguard a ruin when you found it? Or just aggressively uninhabited?
    There's a difference?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #963

There's a difference?
    A ruin is a building that is falling down.
    "Aggressively uninhabited" the building itself is fine, but the furnishings might be trashed and you need to clear out a ton of garbage.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

It was a "ruin" when Istvan found it in the sense that it needed cleaning and secondary fortifications (eg. palisades) needed to be rebuilt, but the actual structure seemed in perfect condition, and gets repaired throughout the questline.

So "aggressively uninhabited" seems to fit better.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

Fort Dawnguard is fine when you get to it as I recall. A little rubble and a lot of garbage and crates, but the actual structure is fine.

Always bugged me that the forts throughout Skryim are ruins, the maintenance of forts and keeps throughout the land is one of the most basic military necessities of a medieval setting. There should be at least a few forts that only got left unmanned after the Great War which should be in good condition.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Besides the Reach, I don't know if Skyrim has actually seen war since the Second Era. And the Reach checks out because both sides are destroying the forts
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Always bugged me that the forts throughout Skryim are ruins, the maintenance of forts and keeps throughout the land is one of the most basic military necessities of a medieval setting. There should be at least a few forts that only got left unmanned after the Great War which should be in good condition.
    Should they still be unmanned with the Civil War going on though?

8. - Top - End - #968
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah both sides of hte civil war should be trying to occupy and restore those forts, not just leave them to bandits. They'd have control of major roads and supply lines.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #969
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Besides the Reach, I don't know if Skyrim has actually seen war since the Second Era.
    The War of the Red Diamond ended with the siege of Solitude.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The War of the Red Diamond ended with the siege of Solitude.
    Which is also the only city in skyrim with a proper fort in good repair inside the city walls. Windhelm gets second place but is in rough shape.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #971
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Yeah both sides of hte civil war should be trying to occupy and restore those forts, not just leave them to bandits. They'd have control of major roads and supply lines.
    There are at least three forts that become occupied by Imperial or Stormcloak soldiers after you clear out their original inhabitants. Which I suppose suggests that neither side is capable of clearing a fort on their own, though given that the war is basically a stalemate absent the Dragonborn's intervention that does make sense.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    There are at least three forts that become occupied by Imperial or Stormcloak soldiers after you clear out their original inhabitants. Which I suppose suggests that neither side is capable of clearing a fort on their own, though given that the war is basically a stalemate absent the Dragonborn's intervention that does make sense.
    "Makes sense" is a bit generous, considering that your entrance exam for joining the legion is to solo a bandit fort - implying that any legionary could do the job singlehanded. It's just that they... have better things to do, OK? Like, err... oh, I'm sure there's something.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

13. - Top - End - #973
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    "Makes sense" is a bit generous, considering that your entrance exam for joining the legion is to solo a bandit fort - implying that any legionary could do the job singlehanded. It's just that they... have better things to do, OK? Like, err... oh, I'm sure there's something.
    Compare Morrowind, where the first Legion missions you are likely to get are from Darius, who first asks you to have a talk with a widow to get a land deed and then orders you to cure a blighted kwama queen, to later send you to handle the liberation of a pilgrim that doesn't need to be obtained through violence. Afterwards you get some more investigative work about the poor Gnisis tax collector and the Talos Cult. In total, you don't need to kill more than 3 people (all from the Legion) and you have met a number of social realities: the settled Gnisis locals, a rogue Telvanni, the nomadic Ashlanders, the occupying Legion and the problems it faces when trying to police a complex enviroment, and two examples of serious issues that can manifest themselves within the Legion (violence against the locals and treason against the Emperor).

Skyrim instead was really into the "it's a war, it's just a series of battles" mindset. I don't think it added much on a setting level (Tullius kept saying he didn't get Nords, but that didn't really translate into anything practical, did it?). It actually felt very barebone, to the point that a few times I thought that I was playing a mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

14. - Top - End - #974
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Should they still be unmanned with the Civil War going on though?
    The ones on vital roads certainly shouldn't. Letting bandits control roads during a war is an awful idea, and really the two factions should have secured all of them the moment hostilities became likely, for propoganda as well as practical reasons.

Really would have liked to see some Empire style forts, built by the Empire during the past few centuries, still in decent condition, and some ruins of ancient Nordic forts with most of them being long abandoned. Maybe one or two nordic forts that were still in good condition and in use by some of the Jarls.

15. - Top - End - #975
    Titan in the Playground

The whole Civil War was gravely unfinished, maybe if they hadn't pushed for the 11/11/11 release date, there would have been more soldier-occupied forts?
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, last time I strolled up the road from Rorikstead towards Dragon Bridge, a Thalmor patrol came along the road from Markarth to the junction with the bandit ambush. The bandits saw them before they saw me, so I left them all to it.

Despite my mod that doubles the number of common enemies per spawn (so, double the numbers of non-boss bandits, among others), the Thalmor handed them easily. No losses on their side.

Then they turned north, and I wondered how they'd cope with Robber's Gorge. So I hung back, just getting close enough to make sure the bandits had spawned, and waited.

They gave it a good try, but turns out three justiciars are no match for a fort with 20-odd bandits.

So there's one data point. I doubt if a Legion or Stormcloak patrol would have done any better.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

17. - Top - End - #977
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    I just assumed the soldiers were opportunists; they see the Dragonborn slay every bandit in the fort, and after running off with some loot, the soldiers clean up the bodies and settle in. Why bother with the effort of fighting bandits when I do the job for free? Wasn't like I was going to come back anyway.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    So, last time I strolled up the road from Rorikstead towards Dragon Bridge, a Thalmor patrol came along the road from Markarth to the junction with the bandit ambush. The bandits saw them before they saw me, so I left them all to it.

Despite my mod that doubles the number of common enemies per spawn (so, double the numbers of non-boss bandits, among others), the Thalmor handed them easily. No losses on their side.

Then they turned north, and I wondered how they'd cope with Robber's Gorge. So I hung back, just getting close enough to make sure the bandits had spawned, and waited.

They gave it a good try, but turns out three justiciars are no match for a fort with 20-odd bandits.

So there's one data point. I doubt if a Legion or Stormcloak patrol would have done any better.
    I'm not sure that's really representative if you double the numbers of one side of the fight.

Also, Thalmor patrols are for harassing the weak and helpless, not conquering forts or fighting crime.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #979

Still one of my favorite bits in Skyrim is what I call "Rage Across Skyrim".

Become a werewolf, and just carve a bloody swath across the Whiterun province of murdered bandits. Kill everyone, no loot grabbed, just so much death that I fill up my perks.
    The Cranky Gamer

20. - Top - End - #980
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, a werewolf rampage is always fun.

I remember back before Dawnguard when being a werewolf for ages became trivial, running from Markarth to the far end of Falkreath in one transformation. Killed every Forsworn, Bandit, rogue wizard, Thalmor and Imperial soldier on the way, as well as a few bears and a dragon.

Was rather cathartic.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have an old Morrowind save on original Xbox, I'm in Vivec's chamber with the Ring of Hircine. I slip it on and we fight to the death, one on one. It's a pretty even match, the room full of magic, nowhere to take cover, just mash and slash and hope that I hit him enough times before the spells finish me. Great stress relief.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

22. - Top - End - #982
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Seeing the discussion from a page ago about Vigilant Tyranius and all those forcegreet quest annoyances I would like to mention what could be the worst ones of all. Riften, Just Riften....

Being forcegreet accosted by that thug of Maven's shortly after you talk or bribe your way past the guard to even enter the town in the first place and then you finally decide to do some see what is at the market stalls and then Brynjolf comes up just out of nowhere and... well you get the idea.

And man that thieves guild questline is a whole other can of worms the farther along you go. (Mary Sue Karliah, and the whole Nightingale mess)

23. - Top - End - #983

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    Seeing the discussion from a page ago about Vigilant Tyranius and all those forcegreet quest annoyances I would like to mention what could be the worst ones of all. Riften, Just Riften....

Being forcegreet accosted by that thug of Maven's shortly after you talk or bribe your way past the guard to even enter the town in the first place and then you finally decide to do some see what is at the market stalls and then Brynjolf comes up just out of nowhere and... well you get the idea.

And man that thieves guild questline is a whole other can of worms the farther along you go. (Mary Sue Karliah, and the whole Nightingale mess)
    The Companions and the Thieves Guild were two quests where I'd like the option to say "Yeah, I don't want to join you in your particular brand of life-altering bull****, but can I help you out, anyway?" Why do I have to become a werewolf to help you fight the werewolf hunters? Why do I have to become a Nightingale to chase that bastard down? You go drink weird blood and swear daedric oaths, I just want to hit people with a sword.

(I lie. I totally want to be a werewolf. But, like, I shouldn't HAVE to be a werewolf)
    The Cranky Gamer

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Companions and the Thieves Guild were two quests where I'd like the option to say "Yeah, I don't want to join you in your particular brand of life-altering bull****, but can I help you out, anyway?" Why do I have to become a werewolf to help you fight the werewolf hunters? Why do I have to become a Nightingale to chase that bastard down? You go drink weird blood and swear daedric oaths, I just want to hit people with a sword.

(I lie. I totally want to be a werewolf. But, like, I shouldn't HAVE to be a werewolf)
    The Nightingale one at least makes a little sense because you need Nocturnal's support to counter the powers that Mercer has given himself, at least in theory.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

At the end of the day, the Thieves' Guild is a Daedric Cult to Nocturne and they don't really pretend they aren't, so pledging your soul to her at the end of the questline makes sense.

It would have been nice if upon learning the Companions were lead by werewolves, ypu had the option to join the Silver Hand instead. Add in the idea that's floating around that the Silver Hand is a successor organisation to the Companions who refused Hircine's Gift and you'd have had a nice alternate questline of bringing the organisation back to its roots.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #986
    Colossus in the Playground

At the end of the day, the Thieves' Guild is a Daedric Cult to Nocturne and they don't really pretend they aren't, so pledging your soul to her at the end of the questline makes sense.

It would have been nice if upon learning the Companions were lead by werewolves, ypu had the option to join the Silver Hand instead. Add in the idea that's floating around that the Silver Hand is a successor organisation to the Companions who refused Hircine's Gift and you'd have had a nice alternate questline of bringing the organisation back to its roots.
    The problem with that is that the Silver Hand as presented are um... Sociopathic serial killers? They target the companions knowing full well that the companions can control themselves... Most werewolves are cursed, not willingly monsters, and they also kill Kajet and possibly other beast men.

They employ torture and other excessively cruel means of killing their targets...

Like, I'm not much one to talk since I favor the Dark Brotherhood but the Silver Hand are presented as being complete monsters... IIRC they even skinned a Werewolf, or talked about skinning one.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The problem with that is that the Silver Hand as presented are um... Sociopathic serial killers? They target the companions knowing full well that the companions can control themselves... Most werewolves are cursed, not willingly monsters, and they also kill Kajet and possibly other beast men.

They employ torture and other excessively cruel means of killing their targets...

Like, I'm not much one to talk since I favor the Dark Brotherhood but the Silver Hand are presented as being complete monsters... IIRC they even skinned a Werewolf, or talked about skinning one.
    They have werewolf pelts and titles like 'the Skinner', so they definitely skin werewolves to take their hides as trophies.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

Yes, I know, and I think that's boring. In game, they're just another bandit group, but with silver sword (they attack you even if you've got ****-all to do with the Companions).

But there's the theory floating around that they were intended to be a splintered group of the Companions but, as with many things in this game, it was dropped durong development. (They seem just as fixated on getting Wuuthrad as the Companions, they alledgedly have a higher-than-usual chance of carrying copies of The Song of the Return, i.e. "Ysgramor rules, Falmer drools, the book" and they even more alledgedly can sometimes be heard shouting "Ysgramor would be disappointed in you" in battle (I suspect a Mandela effect on that one).)

And frankly this would have made them much more interesting. You can even keep the problematic elements, TES is full of morally-gray choices and Ysgramor himself was a grade-A douche. Then you'd have to choose between the "purer" hateful Silver Hand and the arguably more honorable but corrupted Companions.

Edit: I don't remember them targeting Khajiit?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-07-13 at 09:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    The Nightingale one at least makes a little sense because you need Nocturnal's support to counter the powers that Mercer has given himself, at least in theory.
    Me: "Alright, Mercer is dead and I got the magic key. This'll let me use all those crazy powers Mercer got to use!"

Nocturnal: "..."

Me: "This'll let me use all those crazy powers Mercer got to use, right?"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Me: "Alright, Mercer is dead and I got the magic key. This'll let me use all those crazy powers Mercer got to use!"

Nocturnal: "..."

Me: "This'll let me use all those crazy powers Mercer got to use, right?"
    Nocturnal: "Reusable lockpick. Take it or leave it."
    Forum Wisdom