New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1476
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: The XVII Princes of Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Also also, that bit at the end where he forces Karliah and Brynjolf to fight each other.
    Oh yeah! Geez you really start from training wheels when you get that artifact.

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    Has anyone ever had a cave bear appear in Dragonsreach? Because I walked into Dragonsreach, heard a cave bear, and Farengar was fighting one when I went to his workspace.
    That's new.

I once had a generic Stormcloak soldier appear in my bedroom in Proudspire after I took an 8-hour rest. He then left the house and was mauled by the city guard.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Who didn't kill a bunch of Whiterun guards and Heimskr on their first transformation?
    I remember being stuck around Jorrvaskr for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Whiterun gets much more peaceful once he dies or gets locked in his house forever by the civil war.
    Am I the only one here who likes Heimskr?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wouldn't say I like him, but I don't have any reason to hate him, either.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Wouldn't say I like him, but I don't have any reason to hate him, either.
    I dont habitually murder him the way I do Nazeem, but only because I can avoid him easier.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think I just ran for the exit. The main exit, as I didn’t realize at the time there was a back door.

I do love that you included Heimskr specifically in your rampage though.
    To be fair, he is kind of annoying.
    But no, never rampaged during that first transformation.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I once had a generic Stormcloak soldier appear in my bedroom in Proudspire after I took an 8-hour rest. He then left the house and was mauled by the city guard.
    I had an enormous great white shark fall out of the sky near one if the Whiterun giant encampments, but that was from a mod.

He earned my ire when I asked him about Talos and he told me to go read a book. He’s a terrible priest.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I have no problem with Heimskr either, Whiterun just would not be the same to me without him.

I keep Nazeem around for one reason, I have the Inigo follower mod and Inigo has some great interactions with him.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yes. Yes, you are. I don't... dislike him exactly, but I do go out of my way to avoid him if you see what I mean. Man's a loony.

I had an enormous great white shark fall out of the sky near one if the Whiterun giant encampments, but that was from a mod.
    Wait, there's a sharknado mod?

I think the first time I transformed into a werewolf, I got killed by the guards while trying to figure out how to switch back to FP perspective. That's the biggest reason I still don't like playing a werewolf, the forced over-the-shoulder thing. Drives me nuts.
    Last edited by veti; 2022-07-15 at 06:40 PM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, "like" may be a bit strong but he's... endearingly colourful. Whiterun just isn't Whiterun without the loony bellowing a sermon he himself barely comprehends at the breaking point of his vocal cords.

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    I think the first time I transformed into a werewolf, I got killed by the guards while trying to figure out how to switch back to FP perspective. That's the reason I still don't like playing a werewolf, the forced over-the-shoulder thing. Drives me nuts.
    Urg, so annoying. And it's the same for the Vampire Lord form. Just why?
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Titan in the Playground

And as far as I know there's no good mod for that either, weird.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Eh, I pretty much stay in 3rd person mode all the time since I downloaded the true directional movement mod. (Actual 8 way movement and targeting enemies)

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, there's a sharknado mod?
    Truthfully I don’t think that was intentional on the part of the mod author. Its stated purpose was to add sharks to the game (and an unfinished island house) and for the most part it just replaced the Slaughterfish with sharks in the water.

That's the biggest reason I still don't like playing a werewolf, the forced over-the-shoulder thing. Drives me nuts.
    Second this.

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground

Urg, so annoying. And it's the same for the Vampire Lord form. Just why?
    My personal guess is that vampire lords and werewolves make visuals glitch.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Troll in the Playground

I think it might also be to do with map design. Werewolves get stuck on things when you can see your arms and feet, trying to squeeze past chairs and tables when you can't see your giant model knocking into them would be rather obnoxious.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground

It's not really a mechanical issue, as there are already first person mods for Werewolf and Vampire Lord forms that work fine.

The reason I said there aren't any good ones is that they're incompatible with any other mods that touch ANY of the Werewolf or Vampire Lord records, meaning you have to choose between first person gameplay or the things that actually make those forms fun.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

If anyone has been wanting to try ESO, they’ve got another free play event running from now until the 29th.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

In the eternal quest to make Skyrim a bit - different, I've been trying to come up with some extra rules to impose on myself. Sort of a nuzlocke option for Skyrim.

Rules such as "no fast travel", picking a set of skills that should never increase, avoiding the more offensive exploits - these are obvious, I've been using these (with variations) for years. Now I'm trying to come up with a coherent ruleset that is simultaneously more restrictive, but still allows reasonable freedom in how you choose to play the game.

This is how I'm thinking so far:
    1. Don't grind crafting (Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy). Developing these skills "normally" is fine, but if any of them are ever one of your top 3 best skills, you've done it wrong.
    2. Only one follower at a time (unless a quest explicitly requires you to take more). "Bonus" followers, such as dogs, *do* count. (So if you pick up Barbas, send Lydia home until you get rid of him.)
    3. When you have a quest in your journal, do it as soon as possible. There should not be more than 5 main items and 5 miscellaneous objectives in the journal. (Journal items that aren't "objectives", such as tracking markers for modded NPCs, don't count. Using mods or exploits to prevent or delay quests appearing is fine. Once they are there, however, treat them with the urgency they all seem to demand.)
    4. Level up as soon as reasonably possible. No "holding" the level, for the free regen it gives you in combat.
    5. Only use manual saves, never auto saves. Make no more than 1 save per level.
    6. If you're careless enough to get a follower killed, they're dead. Mourn them and move on. No reloading just for that.
    7. Your total "fortify (magic school)" (i.e. reduce casting cost) for any given magic school should never exceed 50%. Ditto elemental resistances.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Sounds like you might enjoy that "Requiem, roleplaying overhaul" mod.

Well there is a chance that the latest for Skyrim that came out of nowhere broke that mod into pieces like it did so many others, so that may not be an option any more.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Titan in the Playground

In the eternal quest to make Skyrim a bit - different, I've been trying to come up with some extra rules to impose on myself. Sort of a nuzlocke option for Skyrim.

Rules such as "no fast travel", picking a set of skills that should never increase, avoiding the more offensive exploits - these are obvious, I've been using these (with variations) for years. Now I'm trying to come up with a coherent ruleset that is simultaneously more restrictive, but still allows reasonable freedom in how you choose to play the game.

This is how I'm thinking so far:
    1. Don't grind crafting (Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy). Developing these skills "normally" is fine, but if any of them are ever one of your top 3 best skills, you've done it wrong.
    2. Only one follower at a time (unless a quest explicitly requires you to take more). "Bonus" followers, such as dogs, *do* count. (So if you pick up Barbas, send Lydia home until you get rid of him.)
    3. When you have a quest in your journal, do it as soon as possible. There should not be more than 5 main items and 5 miscellaneous objectives in the journal. (Journal items that aren't "objectives", such as tracking markers for modded NPCs, don't count. Using mods or exploits to prevent or delay quests appearing is fine. Once they are there, however, treat them with the urgency they all seem to demand.)
    4. Level up as soon as reasonably possible. No "holding" the level, for the free regen it gives you in combat.
    5. Only use manual saves, never auto saves. Make no more than 1 save per level.
    6. If you're careless enough to get a follower killed, they're dead. Mourn them and move on. No reloading just for that.
    7. Your total "fortify (magic school)" (i.e. reduce casting cost) for any given magic school should never exceed 50%. Ditto elemental resistances.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Clearly if you're going for a Skyrim "Nuzlocke" your main character should also have permadeath. Use Proteus and put any "dead" characters in the retirement home, then make a new one.

Using this you can also do stuff like make a new character for each guild questline without sacking overall game progress if you like to maintain a persistent worldstate of sorts.

(It can also help alleviate the tedium that can sometimes come with having a locked-in skillset. I really enjoyed my last character, a paladin who wasn't allowed to sneak or use ranged weapons/magic (besides offensive Restoration magic) at all, but it DID get old after a while and I started trying to shake things up towards the end of my run through Vigilant.)
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-09-29 at 05:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

[*]Don't grind crafting (Smithing, Enchanting, Alchemy). Developing these skills "normally" is fine, but if any of them are ever one of your top 3 best skills, you've done it wrong.
    If you get a buildable house, "no grinding Smithing" is going to get hard.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

21. - Top - End - #1071
    Firbolg in the Playground

Skyrim is now on GOG, and the promoted features are...

GOG notice about the DRM-free version
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

That is FANTASTIC news!. First the first of the 2 Crossbell games in the Trail's/Kiseki series released 2 days ago in the west (And an epic level PC port to boot) and now this. From what I am hearing this will be the definitive Skyrim experience. Because lets be honest, the Steam version has been a complete disaster at times if you use lots of mods.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    That is FANTASTIC news!. First the first of the 2 Crossbell games in the Trail's/Kiseki series released 2 days ago in the west (And an epic level PC port to boot) and now this. From what I am hearing this will be the definitive Skyrim experience. Because lets be honest, the Steam version has been a complete disaster at times if you use lots of mods.
    Not really? It's surprising to me that people still don't know you can disable auto-updates on Steam too. I only update when I know all my mods have been updated too. I JUST updated to AE a couple of weeks ago.

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Clearly if you're going for a Skyrim "Nuzlocke" your main character should also have permadeath. Use Proteus and put any "dead" characters in the retirement home, then make a new one.

Using this you can also do stuff like make a new character for each guild questline without sacking overall game progress if you like to maintain a persistent worldstate of sorts.

(It can also help alleviate the tedium that can sometimes come with having a locked-in skillset. I really enjoyed my last character, a paladin who wasn't allowed to sneak or use ranged weapons/magic (besides offensive Restoration magic) at all, but it DID get old after a while and I started trying to shake things up towards the end of my run through Vigilant.)
    Characters can die in Skyrim? Are you sure? I guess maybe from glitches or fall damage...but those aren't going to feel like good ways to lose a character. Actual death from losing a fight is basically non-existent.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Characters can die in Skyrim? Are you sure? I guess maybe from glitches or fall damage...but those aren't going to feel like good ways to lose a character. Actual death from losing a fight is basically non-existent.
    It definitely happens with my current mod setup. Wildcat, Valhalla, Deadly Dragons, Ultimate Deadly Encounters (especially...a lot of the added enemy types are busted as ****), etc. add a lot of extra difficulty.

You still become an unstoppable god of destruction late game, but for the first 30-40 levels or so getting your ass kicked is a common occurrence. You have to invest a lot in defenses to survive.

I also have some mod that I've had for YEARS and I don't know what it is that adds a really broken spell to all Necromancer and Conjurer type NPCs of any level that as far as I can tell does untyped damage (or maybe Poison/Disease damage, which isn't easily resisted), and the damage appears to be exactly 100, so low levels you have to play the cover and run game any time a Necromancer shows up or they just gargleblast you instantly.

I think it might be one of the disease spells added by either Ordinator or Apocalypse that got added to NPCs via ASIS or whatever the modern equivalent of it is that I'm using.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-09-29 at 09:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    Low level characters can be pretty fragile, especially on higher difficulties. I've certainly had single-digit level characters die to greatsword-wielding bandit thugs or apprentice necromancers.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Low level characters can be pretty fragile, especially on higher difficulties. I've certainly had single-digit level characters die to greatsword-wielding bandit thugs or apprentice necromancers.
    Or giants, or the frost troll on the way to High Hrothgar, or to a badly-timed sync kill from a dragon.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Or giants, or the frost troll on the way to High Hrothgar, or to a badly-timed sync kill from a dragon.
    My first-ever Skyrim death was to a Giant. I was level 12 or thereabouts.

While we’re on the subject, what was everyone else’s first death?

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lol the bear.

And, yeah, even in a full suit of legendary smithed and enchanted dragon plate at level 60-something I still find ways to get killed in unmodded Skyrim. Gosh, I must really suck at playing.
    “Rule is what lies between what is said and what is understood.”
    ~Raja Rudatha, the Spider Prince
    Golem Arcana

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Titan in the Playground

The frost troll, I think. I had just killed a dragon! Surely a troll, would be no problem, right?
    Forum Wisdom