New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls: The XVII Princes of Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Just finished Meridia's dang beacon quest. It's all fun and looting until the boss starts force-lightning you in the face around corners. If it weren't for the fact the Artifacts of Skyrim makes Dawnbreaker worth it... well, it wouldn't be worth it. XD

Someone remind me, does entering a dungeon location lock that dungeon's level to yours at the time you enter?
    I think so.

I always found it funny how tough the boss guarding Dawnbreaker was so strong, while Orchander, the guy that's literally immune to magic and teleports can be chumped so easily when questing for Spellbreaker.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

At this point I wish Bethesda would crash and burn with Skyrim Anniversary like Blizzard with WoW or Lionhead with Fable Anniversary.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Okay....in one area I've decided to delete old saves that I don't use so as to help free up space, hopefully by limiting the number of save files I make as possible, my skyrim experience improves to counter the save bloat thing. it seems to be working I think?

I may have figured out something of why my skyrim keeps CTDing around the shrine of mehrunes dagon. I thought it was the modded Umbra enemy put into the game, but I managed to kill her before she could do whatever it is I thought she did, and instead an elder dragon landed and began fighting me then CTD. So I'm thinking that the shrine of mehrunes dagon just doesn't like it when normal speed fighting is occurring, because the way I got around the CTD for the modded Umbra is by using a time slow spell and I was able to kill her without any problems.

thus my logic becomes: the only way I can fight around the shrine of mehrunes dagon is by using a time stop ring to constantly be in a state of slowed down time so as to prevent a CTD from combat going too fast. I don't know WHY this is only true for the shrine of mehrunes dagon, other places are functioning fine, but there you go.

also while I still can't enter Sleeping Giant Inn, I am doing the Dark Brotherhood questline just fine, so maybe I just can't do Dark Brotherhood and the main quest at the same time in my overmodded skyrim. I'm probably wrong, but at this point I'm accepting that I'm a tech priest trying to not to anger my modded skyrim machine spirit.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Deleting old saves won't help with save bloat. Save bloat is the phenomenon of an INDIVIDUAL save file increasing in size to the point that the game has trouble operating.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I recently cleaned out all my Skyrim saves older than 1 year. And yet, still the saves folder has more than 9000 files in it. What the actual heck, Skyrim?

It looks like it's actually keeping every autosave, not just the last three. Wow. That's... a lot of pointless data, since the older files can't be accessed or reloaded.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    while Orchander, the guy that's literally immune to magic and teleports can be chumped so easily when questing for Spellbreaker.
    I remember the one time I fought him. I was going for a necromancer build and was fairlyblow-level. None of my magic could hurt him and I only had the one crappy sword. So while I could damage him, I couldn't damage him fast enough to overtake his healing. But since all my magic was good for was healing me, he couldn't hurt me so bad that I couldn't heal back to 100% mid-fight as well. So we were locked in a stalemate. The fight went on for long enough that I level up twice solely from the increases in One-Handed (and the occasional Restoration) until the game glitched and froze my character's arm mid-swing which is when I called it a day.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I remember the one time I fought him. I was going for a necromancer build and was fairlyblow-level. None of my magic could hurt him and I only had the one crappy sword. So while I could damage him, I couldn't damage him fast enough to overtake his healing. But since all my magic was good for was healing me, he couldn't hurt me so bad that I couldn't heal back to 100% mid-fight as well. So we were locked in a stalemate. The fight went on for long enough that I level up twice solely from the increases in One-Handed (and the occasional Restoration) until the game glitched and froze my character's arm mid-swing which is when I called it a day.
    That is the most Bethesda thing I have ever read.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    That is the most Bethesda thing I have ever read.
    Legit the funniest thing that happened to me playing this game.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-27 at 11:12 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

So, how many people launder money in Skyrim?

The way I use the term in Skyrim is to buy all of a merchant's stock, then use their new money to sell all of my heavy things. Then I buy back the heavy things (taking a loss), and sell them again, until I am finally rid of my heavy stuff and have gained all of their gold.

Also works with potions.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

So, how many people launder money in Skyrim?

The way I use the term in Skyrim is to buy all of a merchant's stock, then use their new money to sell all of my heavy things. Then I buy back the heavy things (taking a loss), and sell them again, until I am finally rid of my heavy stuff and have gained all of their gold.

Also works with potions.
    I’ve done that, albeit I don’t usually buy their entire stock from them, just stuff I might use. Soul gems get this treatment from me a lot, as do any potions that boost carry capacity, but if I tried it on say…wooden plates…I’d forget they were in my inventory until I was halfway across Skyrim and after I’d passed up more useful or valuable loot as a result. It’s a good way to level up Speech.

Mind, I’ve done more traditional money laundering in Skyrim too. Take your stolen gems, ingots, furs, ingredients -> craft into jewelry, leather, and potions, all totally legit as far as the shopkeepers can tell. It’s very useful if you don’t have access to a fence.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Spamalot in the Playground

I usually sell my heavy stuff to buy crafting materials to make stuff to sell. Less about laundry money and more about I need to catch up my crafting skill. The AFT mod let's your companion fence stolen goods and I've used it a couple times when I just didn't feel like finding my local fence.

I do have one pair of boots that got marked as stolen and not even the fences touch it. Weird.
    "Here, Lydia, hold onto this."

Yeah, the Orchendor fight was always easy for me. I always sneak on him with a bow and shot hit a couple times, then call it a day.

I just finished the first part of the Wolf Queen quest; I died twice early on fighting a necromancer and drauger that were together because both were summoning ice elementals and raising the dead and casting ice spells, multiplying their force quickly. But then at the end, fighting the trio of cultists? They only came at me one at a time and it only took two hits each to slay them. That was nice of them to wait their turn. XD
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought of something else I want in ES6: the ability to skip the tutorial. It's useful the first time through but there's only so much I can take of 'equip the bow and shoot the bucket' when I've already beaten the game.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I thought of something else I want in ES6: the ability to skip the tutorial. It's useful the first time through but there's only so much I can take of 'equip the bow and shoot the bucket' when I've already beaten the game.
    Isn't that why they give you the opportunity to respec at the end of it, though? I think the idea is that you keep a save from that point and just reload that, then respec, if you want to play through again.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Isn't that why they give you the opportunity to respec at the end of it, though? I think the idea is that you keep a save from that point and just reload that, then respec, if you want to play through again.
    By that point, you've already picked a gender and race you can't change, though.

I don't think it'd be very hard to add an option to skip Skyrim's tutorial. Like, once Alduin attacks and everything is chaotic, instead of having to ge to the shouty NPCs, there'd be another path out of the city. Add in a dying guard telling you to "warn... Whiterun... Aargh" so you have the beginning of the main quest.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

By that point, you've already picked a gender and race you can't change, though.
    Which point is that? I'm pretty sure there's an auto-save and the opportunity for a normal save between the cart ride and your impending execution, which is before the your gender etc. choices.

I agree Oblivion was better in letting you re-spec. on exit from the sewers, where you could also leave a save if you managed to think of it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I dunno, is it possible to just turn around and leave the keep once your hands have been untied?

Though even that would involve an annoying amount of empty replay.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    Which point is that? I'm pretty sure there's an auto-save and the opportunity for a normal save between the cart ride and your impending execution, which is before the your gender etc. choices...
    Kareeah_Indaga wants a way to skip the tutorial, it starts just after you narrowly avoid execution.

It's the same for Oblivion, once you choose your race and gender you have to go through the whole escape sequence.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-08-30 at 06:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

In OB/FO3/FO4, you got to redefine your character creation steps on leaving the sewers/vault. But then Skyrim doesn't have character creation options, other than what you look like.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Spamalot in the Playground

Finally earned entry into the museum of the Legacy of the Dragonborn mod. Wow... someone had a vision and they really went through with it. I am impressed.

Now to figure out what stuff I got that'll go on display. I have some unusual new items like rare coins and tarot cards.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2021-08-30 at 09:02 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170

To be honest, I think Skyrim would have worked just fine with a save at the exit of the cave.

One thing I would like is a way to flag that save so you can find it again. This not being able to name your save thing is bull****.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

To be honest, I think Skyrim would have worked just fine with a save at the exit of the cave.

One thing I would like is a way to flag that save so you can find it again. This not being able to name your save thing is bull****.
    If youre on PC, you can name your save files by saving with the dev console. ~ brings it up, then the command is just "save" followed by the save name.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

I've done just that for Fallout 4. One male and one female save just before the Vault Exit. Also for Fallout 3. Didn't for New Vegas or Oblivion. Too many important choices in the NV start, too much to be done in the opening of Oblivion depending on character build.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I've done just that for Fallout 4. One male and one female save just before the Vault Exit. Also for Fallout 3. Didn't for New Vegas or Oblivion. Too many important choices in the NV start, too much to be done in the opening of Oblivion depending on character build.
    To be fair, the New Vegas intro is just watching Benny shoot you in the face and creating your character with Doc Mitchell. Hardly something you absolutely need to skip through.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    To be fair, the New Vegas intro is just watching Benny shoot you in the face and creating your character with Doc Mitchell. Hardly something you absolutely need to skip through.
    You do still get the "tutorial" mission with Sunny Smiles--it's obviously optional in FNV, but it gives you quite a bit of XP and a free varmint rifle, so most of the time you'll go through it on every start.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Kareeah_Indaga wants a way to skip the tutorial, it starts just after you narrowly avoid execution.
    Ah, there, I don't know any way to dodge that.

It's the same for Oblivion, once you choose your race and gender you have to go through the whole escape sequence.
    On the PC, you can change your race and gender until you come out of the sewers, there's a gate, and you get a prompt saying something like "exit sewers, do you want to change your character Y/N", I think you can't save the game after saying no, which throws you out across the water from Vilverin, but if you say yes, then you can save before you click the gate again to leave. I'm not sure whether you can change your character anywhere else after the start.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-08-30 at 02:48 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

I was thinking more of a checkbox you click to be dumped into the game proper with some basic gear once you're done with character creation, but a spot to save at the end of whatever tutorial ES6 has would work too I suppose.

Unrelated: I was not expecting to see this in my news lineup today.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Plus of course the decision whether to help Goodsprings or the Powder Gangers.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2021-08-30 at 07:22 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

You think the next game will give definitive answers regarding some of the more...contentious decisions one can make in Skyrim? Or will they say something along the lines of "Things got worse no matter what decision actually got made" given the sheer amount of arguing over those plotlines has gone on for literal YEARS and one side being declared "the better choice" would probably make EVERYONE unhappy, even if their side "won?"

Of course, saying a Dragon Break happened is always an option, but I think most players would say playing that card a second time following Daggerfall would cheapen its dramatic use as a plot element, that it'd be lazy (even for Bethesda)...
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    You think the next game will give definitive answers regarding some of the more...contentious decisions one can make in Skyrim? Or will they say something along the lines of "Things got worse no matter what decision actually got made" given the sheer amount of arguing over those plotlines has gone on for literal YEARS and one side being declared "the better choice" would probably make EVERYONE unhappy, even if their side "won?"
    Depends on the thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the results of the Civil War get swept under the rug - either by having ES6 happening concurrently with Skyrim or have some other major disaster overshadow it post-game. (Falmer invasion? Fallout from the Eye of Magnus swallows the whole region? Plague wipes everyone out?)

But some of the other things - Paarthurnax will probably be dead, because the only way to complete that quest is to kill him. The Emperor will have been assassinated. I suspect the Dark Brotherhood will have survived - even if the ‘join’ branch weren’t a lot more fleshed out, I gather they’re a popular faction and I don’t see Bethesda getting rid of them permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Of course, saying a Dragon Break happened is always an option, but I think most players would say playing that card a second time following Daggerfall would cheapen its dramatic use as a plot element, that it'd be lazy (even for Bethesda)...
    Agreed; Dragon Breaks should be a last resort after they’ve written themselves into a corner, not the first plot device they turn to.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My guess is that the region will be attacked by the Dominion, and the exact details of how the Civil War were going get lost as all sides get wiped out or otherwise displaced.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”