New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Truenamer Concept Checking

So I've always been a huge fan of the Truenamer from 3.5E. Yes, that hilariously literally broken mess of a class. I've long thought of the best way to port it into 5E in a way that makes sense. I've got three main avenues to pursue:

1. At-will can work, but that requires relatively weak effects, which honestly isn't that much fun. You're basically a warlock with no punchy spell slots.
    2. I have honestly thought about porting over a skill-based system based on straight Intelligence checks which you'd add your proficiency to, in effect making a "false" Truenaming skill again but tying it to class, not skill rank. This requires a lot of math and would be doable. but that uniqueness would come with the double edged sword of being another completely new system that people would be reluctant to learn, or the system might be too complicated.
    3. My third (and currently most attractive) option is to use "spell points". Change the name to syllables and boom, you've got yourself a ready-made workable system that people are familiar with.

Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Truenamer Concept Checking

Option 3 is certainly going to be something that people are familiar with and it's easy enough build a class around. The downside is that you run into the usual issue with spell points: It's incredibly easy to go nova with them.

I think option 1 could work with some tweaks. Maybe you have intensifying effects over several rounds of speaking a creature's true name, as long as you're able to keep your concentration up. Perhaps you combine option 1 and 3 and have some effects at will and some that take more effort and require spell points to use.

If you're looking for how others have done it, take a look at these. This is pasted from the 5e homebrew compendium in my signature.

Truenamer

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvetrees View Post
    Option 3 is certainly going to be something that people are familiar with and it's easy enough build a class around. The downside is that you run into the usual issue with spell points: It's incredibly easy to go nova with them.

I think option 1 could work with some tweaks. Maybe you have intensifying effects over several rounds of speaking a creature's true name, as long as you're able to keep your concentration up. Perhaps you combine option 1 and 3 and have some effects at will and some that take more effort and require spell points to use.

If you're looking for how others have done it, take a look at these. This is pasted from the 5e homebrew compendium in my signature.

Truenamer
    Funny enough, I'm not as concerned over nova-ing as I could be. It's not really any worse than, say, a sorcadin. Like the original Truenamer, I'm intending to make the utterances (and reversed versions) limited to affecting single creatures only, which will help somewhat with that, given how fast 5E combats are done. Without a feature like Arcane Recovery, it's completely on the DM to figure out encounters per LR and the Truenamer to decide if they want to be reduced to cantrips the rest of the day. The fact that none of the 4 previous attempts used spell points actually makes me more confident in using them, actually. It's not as close to the intent, but it fits with the spirit, I feel.

I'm a big fan of the Instantaneous effects of Truespeech - you Speak it into existence, and it happens. I don't like the effect of having to continue to chant the utterances to increase power.

Checking out the other 4 provided examples, we have;
    • The first is too complex - part of this project is to make it palatable to the masses, not just people who really want to use it, you know?
    • Really like the idea behind the subclasses on the second, though.
    • I'm really not a fan of the third one here: even ignoring the addition of Extra Attack on what (should, imho) be a pure casting class, it was done by someone with virtually no experience in 5E (self-admitted).
    • All of JNA's feedback was valid on the last one, and I fundamentally disagree with some of their thoughts.

That being said, they're mostly over 5 years old. A new eye/take on it with all the advancements that the game has undergone couldn't hurt.

Thanks for the feedback and the links, though. It's greatly appreciated.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Try this? Calligrapher class, skill based.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Try this? Calligrapher class, skill based.
    Oh, interesting, I might be able to steal some of this math (if needed). Thanks!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

What specifically about the Truenamer did you want to do? Because IIRC, about 95%ish of the class was basically Just spells plugged into a mostly unworkable new mechanical chassis?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    What specifically about the Truenamer did you want to do? Because IIRC, about 95%ish of the class was basically Just spells plugged into a mostly unworkable new mechanical chassis?
    Honestly, I liked the entire concept, which is why I'm even considering using some sort of math to figure out how to "fix" the original system. The normal/reversed "spells", the vocal-only effects, and the class features. Say My Name And I Am There was, bar none, imho the coolest class feature in 3.5E