New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Given how often you seem to find yourself at the heart of drama, i would suggest you might need to improve your technique.
    What technique?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm so glad that I'm no longer free sad anymore and I'm happy that I don't cause any drama on Youtube anymore.
    Good for you!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What technique?
    Whatever it is you do to try and avoid drama. It is evidently not very successful.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Whatever it is you do to try and avoid drama. It is evidently not very successful.
    Good advice. I'll keep that in mind.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm so glad that I'm no longer free sad anymore and I'm happy that I don't cause any drama on Youtube anymore.
    What is "free sad"?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Colossus in the Playground

How does lifting with your legs work?

My family has jugs of water delivered, which we fit into a dispenser because we have a well and our well water isn't good for drinking(it's not toxic, it just tastes bad)

And every time I have to change the jug...

They say you can avoid back pain by lifting with your legs, but no matter how I lift once the jug is up all the pressure is on my back.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

They say you can avoid back pain by lifting with your legs, but no matter how I lift once the jug is up all the pressure is on my back.
    Yes. You have lifted with your legs and are now carrying it with your back. Ain't no avoiding that.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #428

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes. You have lifted with your legs and are now carrying it with your back. Ain't no avoiding that.
    Then I have been misinformed about the purposes of lifting with your legs and that makes me angry.

It ain't the lifting that causes the pain, it's the carrying.

At least in my case.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How does lifting with your legs work?

My family has jugs of water delivered, which we fit into a dispenser because we have a well and our well water isn't good for drinking(it's not toxic, it just tastes bad)

And every time I have to change the jug...

It's hip flexibility that's the real key here. If your hips are inflexible you can't lift with your legs because you hinge by your spine, you need to keep the spine in a neutral position the whole time and let your hips bend and then straighten. Think of getting up from a straight sitting position from a chair; your back should stay in the same position the whole time and your butt should contract to straighten your legs out along the hip joint.

If the object can't be pulled close enough to do a proper squat you need to hinge your hip more into a deadlift position, where your back stays in the same shape and your hip hinges further back so that the object is directly below your chest and then rise back up using your butt again to straighten instead of lift.

If your back rounds you are putting shearing forces on it, and using weak stabilizers to make up for stiff primary muscles.

If you have stiff hips the way to fix them is to find an object too heavy to move, like a car or metal rail. Put your legs slightly wider then your shoulders with your feet turned outwards from your body so they point back at your center line. Hold the unmoving object with your hands and sink down into a sitting position with your back "neutral" IE shoulders pulled back and spine upright like sitting with a posh posture. Hold the object so you don't fall over backwards, and position your weight onto your heels. Hold this for progressively longer every day, a couple minutes a day should be the goal.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-08-07 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Then I have been misinformed about the purposes of lifting with your legs and that makes me angry.

At least in my case.
    I think, bending your back and straightening it up again to lift something heavy cause long-term damage to your spine if you do it too much? I don't know, I'm no orthopedist.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

I think, bending your back and straightening it up again to lift something heavy cause long-term damage to your spine if you do it too much? I don't know, I'm no orthopedist.
    It can also cause short-term injury if your lower back can't handle the effort of lifting (applying more force than gravity is); which is the reasoning I've always heard for lifting with your legs.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2021-08-07 at 12:45 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #432

Okay, so my takeaway here is that I'm not doing anything wrong, it's just that the bones and muscles in my back kind of suck.

I will look into that elsewhere, however, because I think that crosses into a medical thing...
    Changing topics: There's an Amish community near where I live and they have a shop that just makes the best jams. Strong flavors, sweet but not too sweet, that kind of thing.

Also fudge.

Does anybody else have a local place that just sells some decent quality food?
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-08-07 at 12:58 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    What is "free sad"?
    Sorry about that. I meant that I'm no longer feeling sad anymore.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Is this a trick question?
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    It can also cause short-term injury if your lower back can't handle the effort of lifting (applying more force than gravity is); which is the reasoning I've always heard for lifting with your legs.
    Your back muscles are tiny things. If you look at fish they have almost no back muscles at all and bow in the middle when picked up. Quadrupeds essentially suspend the spine between two sets of legs, and with the rib cage it forms a somewhat stable chamber (but usually not, which is why you can't ride dogs or cats but you can horses. Very few animals have the right suspension design.)

Humans use them a lot more because of the whole biped thing, but like knees they are kind of a rushed design and we sit in chairs which ruins our already rigamarole bodies. Weak abs and obliques don't support the back muscles correctly, stiff hips don't do the lifting, being a modern human is a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Your back muscles are tiny things. If you look at fish they have almost no back muscles at all and bow in the middle when picked up. Quadrupeds essentially suspend the spine between two sets of legs, and with the rib cage it forms a somewhat stable chamber (but usually not, which is why you can't ride dogs or cats but you can horses. Very few animals have the right suspension design.)
    I thought that was because cats and dogs are so smol.

Humans use them a lot more because of the whole biped thing, but like knees they are kind of a rushed design and we sit in chairs which ruins our already rigamarole bodies. Weak abs and obliques don't support the back muscles correctly, stiff hips don't do the lifting, being a modern human is a mess.
    Spoiler: Evolution for the last 6,000,000 years
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #437

Evolution follows the brute force school of engineering:

Step 1: Throw random crap at the wall until something sticks.
    Step 2: Make small incremental changes to what works to try and make it better.
    Step 3: Repeat step 2 until either something breaks or you run into a problem that can't be solved by previous solution.
    Step 4: Repeat all steps ad infinitum for every challenge.

The result: A lot of organisms are very good at their intended purposes, but only some are able to adapt to other purposes, and lots of things have some pretty major flaws.

The human body works for ti's intended purposes, but it's not so good for all the things humans want to do and has some pretty major flaws: If humans were a consumer product, we'd never pass inspection.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

My takeaway from evolution was that it worked like this:

10 randomly change some things
    20 see which ones die before the next special hug period
    30 PRINT "HUMANS SUCK"
    40 GOTO 10
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

If humans were a consumer product, we'd never pass inspection.
    Warranty is void if you are not using the product for its intended purpose.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Warranty is void if you are not using the product for its intended purpose.
    What warranty? Evolution doesn't hand out warranties.

Also, nature's intended purpose is not everything the human race wants the bodies to do: Evolution wants you to live long enough to reproduce at least once.

If humans were trying to manufacture a product that did all the things humans want to do with their bodies, the human body nature gave us would come up short.

Even ignoring that, there are some gaping flaws in the human body: It has a self-repair function but said self-repair function isn't able to keep up with everyday wear and tear, let alone extreme use.

Everything is dependent on high-pressure fluids that could break at any moment and then if anything breaks it pretty much leads to a total system failure.

A human infant can die if it lays down the wrong way on the wrong kind of bed.

So yes, even if we assume that humans as a consumer product were only created for evolution's process, they'd still never pass inspection.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

At least in my case.
    That sounds like a core body strength issue, but I'm not 100% on that. As others said, be ding over to pick stuff up with your back is what the phrase warns against, because that can do permanent damage. You're totally right, though, it'd about lifting and not carrying.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Sure; I live in a town surrounded by farms....The local dairy co-op sells the best milk, cottage cheese; and (seasonally) the by far best eggnog. The best ice cream and yogurt come from another dairy co-op elsewhere in the state...The best cheese too (of the varieties they make, anyway).

I would also be horribly remiss if I didn't mention my late grandfather; he was a farmer for years (well before I was born), and when he retired he took up gardening in his back yard, growing small amounts of fruits and vegetables for his children and their families. His raspberries were beyond compare...as in, two decades later I still haven't found any raspberries that are as sweet without being sour (and artificial raspberry flavor tastes only like cough syrup to me).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

23. - Top - End - #443
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Oh yeah, real eggnog is incredible. I don’t know any good places for it near where I live, but every year around Christmas my mom makes this huge batch and it’s to die for.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    Oh yeah, real eggnog is incredible. I don’t know any good places for it near where I live, but every year around Christmas my mom makes this huge batch and it’s to die for.
    I've never had even fake eggnog, but if I did I would want to have the real stuff with alcohol and raw egg.

Sadly IU live in London where the best food is just decent. But I have family in Kent, and so when I'm visiting them I get to have food fresh from the farm shop/game shop.

I'm watching TV, and all I'm wondering is why on earth the Doctor keeps stealing people's sandwiches.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've never had even fake eggnog, but if I did I would want to have the real stuff with alcohol and raw egg.
    Wait, you put alcohol in your eggnogs?

I'm watching TV, and all I'm wondering is why on earth the Doctor keeps stealing people's sandwiches.
    Because it was so funny when he did it to the Master in the middle of a sword duel and they hope to recapture the high?
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Zener diode? Ah, so you're running into issues with 1970s British automotive electrics. That's really, really uncommon...

It's just so puzzling as I performed the recommended procedures for use if sll Lucas and other 1970's British motor vehicles electrical equipment: I checked the position of the stars, killed a chicken and walked three times sunwise around the Norton chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant!"

And I used this:

Should've worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    That’s super neat. My dad has always been the gear head of the family but I’ve always thought there was something uniquely cool about vehicles from the late 60s-early 70s.

Especially muscle cars, which in my opinion peaked in terms of aesthetics around that time.

Though I will say, the Camaros and Challenger models they starting making around 2010 or so are pretty cool looking too.

Those are nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    WOO ****ING HOO!

Occupational health clinic that my potential-super-cool-new-job uses had me retake a test with my optometrist. Which is to say, they personally called the doctor and requested a retest, with a bevy of other tests if I did not do perfectly on the retest.

I did perfectly on the retest.

Its a good day.

So many congratulations @Peelee!

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Let me put on my fancy mod hat for this one[...]

Gosh Peelee, that hat looks good on you!

Have you lost weight?

You're still so very correct though.

Correction, it's six weeks of relatively inexpensive classical music concerts.

That sounds AWESOME!

[...]Does anybody else have a local place that just sells some decent quality food?

This last half-year - very far north in the town of Santa Rosa (or maybe it was Napa? Whichever, it wasn't home and it was on a date) at a place called "Belly" I had the most delicious dish with tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, olives, and some kind of soft cheese - it was SO GOOD!

I've tried to have a dish like that again back in civilization (once in Berkeley, three times in San Francisco) at fairly fancy restaurants, and have failed each time.

It was the tomatoes that made the difference, and a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity and now I'm haunted with the craving for them.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, you put alcohol in your eggnogs?
    You ain't getting me to drink raw egg without it.

Because it was so funny when he did it to the Master in the middle of a sword duel and they hope to recapture the high?
    To be fair, him nicking them from Join the middle of a meeting is probably funnier.

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    That sounds AWESOME!
    Oh yeah, there's a reason the Proms is a big deal, even if people from outside the UK have rarely heard of them. I hear there's some kind of sporting event going on, but I honestly couldn't tell you because of the music.

Also you seem to have skipped the most important step with getting anything British and automotive to work: move production to a different country Not the design though, we're apparently still quite good at that step.

Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

You ain't getting me to drink raw egg without it.
    You got something against raw egg?

To be fair, him nicking them from Join the middle of a meeting is probably funnier.
    Fair enough.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Does anyone like Degrassi? I do.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

You got something against raw egg?
    Not as an ingredient.Yes if you're forcing me to drink it.

I got 'raw egg is dangerous' drilled into me at school.

Show