New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, and if you're planning on going insane to help deal with seclusion and/or isolation then bare in mind you have no actual control over that. You could be drifting through space as dead stars turn to iron, perfectly sane for eternity.
    You know, Bender was god once. He was doing well until everyone died.

All roads lead to Futurama.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tarmor's Terribly Tantalizing Tarasque Terrrifying Random Banter #234

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    There is no secret list of secret rules, if that's what you're implying.
    Exactly what someone trying to keep it secret would say!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

He was doing well until everyone died.
    I think you can say that about any situation that ends with a lot of people dead.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I think you can say that about any situation that ends with a lot of people dead.
    I mean, it's possible to do poorly until everyone dies. Big problem with hospitals.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-07-18 at 10:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean, it's possible to do poorly until everyone dies. Big problem with hospitals.
    I feel like "until" is not the correct word to use in that scenario.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I feel like "until" is not the correct word to use in that scenario.
    That depends whether "doing terribly" is a subset of "doing poorly" or a separate set.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #37

Experiment: Inspired by my failed attempt at a nacho cheese, I attempted for today's lunch a Tex-Mex cheese soup.

A mixture of mild cheddar, a "breakfast blend" of cheeses that consists of sharp white cheddar and a mild swiss(which I can handle in small amounts if it's mixed with other cheeses,) "quesadilla" cheese which was white and mild but the specific name was not given on the package, and parmesan. All pre-shredded/grated this time.

Spices were modified from the nacho blend, removing the garlic powder, onion powder, and most of the salt because such ingredients are pleasant in a broth base that I used.

When I make a cheese sauce, I usually use two cups of milk. This time, I substituted a cup of water and when the flour/butter mixture was integrated I spooned in two tablespoons of the broth base, which distributed into one cup of warm water creates one cup of broth so it is effectively a cup of milk and a cup of broth.

Results: It was only when the 'soup' was done that I realized that I did not now how thick a cheese soup is supposed to be. I may have accidentally created a smoother, milder, and more savory version of the chili-cheese sauce I accidentally created last time.

Edit: After a few spoonfuls, examining the mouthfeel... yeah, I accidentally made cheese sauce.

I did learn that chicken brother makes a creamier sauce though, so not a total loss.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-07-18 at 11:49 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That depends whether "doing terribly" is a subset of "doing poorly" or a separate set.
    I mean, 'doing poorly' was mainly chosen for pun.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, 'doing poorly' was mainly chosen for pun.
    I've missed it, I'm afraid.
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

I've missed it, I'm afraid.
    To be poorly is to have the lurgy, uh be unwell. Therefore a hospital is generally doing poorly.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that. What might be keeping you from doing so and what do you want to gain ny switching jobs and/or employers?
    A lot of things.

First even though this is an entry level job, other entry level jobs in IT pay more (I'm making $10 an hour), and come with benefits.

Second, stricter rules about what's appropriate to talk about at work. I can absolutely see how discussion of politics contributes to the feeling of a hostile work environment (I'm on the opposite end of the political spectrum from everyone there, the owner sends out emails ranting about political stuff sometimes.)

Third, the driving. The main office isn't so bad (15 minute drive) but the other office is a 45 minute drive, and some of our clients are even further (3 hour drive in one case).

Lastly, it'd be nice if I could find a place where I could start presenting as female. No way in hell that's going to happen where I am right now.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-07-18 at 02:16 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

To be poorly is to have the lurgy, uh be unwell. Therefore a hospital is generally doing poorly.
    You guys also need more funding to your Health Services?
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

You guys also need more funding to your Health Services?
    Can't say, violates the public list of rules.

Instead I shall have a bananana.

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    A lot of things.

First even though this is an entry level job, other entry level jobs in IT pay more (I'm making $10 an hour), and come with benefits.

Second, stricter rules about what's appropriate to talk about at work. I can absolutely see how discussion of politics contributes to the feeling of a hostile work environment (I'm on the opposite end of the political spectrum from everyone there, the owner sends out emails ranting about political stuff sometimes.)
    That's some very unprofessional behavior from the owner. I take a very dim view of that kind of nonsense myself. Even from a purely business oriented perspective that's just plain bad. It's distracting, it's bad for morale, it's bad for business.

Third, the driving. The main office isn't so bad (15 minute drive) but the other office is a 45 minute drive, and some of our clients are even further (3 hour drive in one case).

Lastly, it'd be nice if I could find a place where I could start presenting as female. No way in hell that's going to happen where I am right now.
    You've only listed reasons to go and no reasons to stay. I'm guessing you've already pretty much made up your mind. I'd say there's no reason to not start looking around at least. Don't feel guilty about leaving after 'only' 10 months if that was cause for hesitation. That place isn't entitled to your loyalty.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Experiment: Inspired by my failed attempt at a nacho cheese, I attempted for today's lunch a Tex-Mex cheese soup.

A mixture of mild cheddar, a "breakfast blend" of cheeses that consists of sharp white cheddar and a mild swiss(which I can handle in small amounts if it's mixed with other cheeses,) "quesadilla" cheese which was white and mild but the specific name was not given on the package, and parmesan. All pre-shredded/grated this time.

Spices were modified from the nacho blend, removing the garlic powder, onion powder, and most of the salt because such ingredients are pleasant in a broth base that I used.

When I make a cheese sauce, I usually use two cups of milk. This time, I substituted a cup of water and when the flour/butter mixture was integrated I spooned in two tablespoons of the broth base, which distributed into one cup of warm water creates one cup of broth so it is effectively a cup of milk and a cup of broth.

Results: It was only when the 'soup' was done that I realized that I did not now how thick a cheese soup is supposed to be. I may have accidentally created a smoother, milder, and more savory version of the chili-cheese sauce I accidentally created last time.

Edit: After a few spoonfuls, examining the mouthfeel... yeah, I accidentally made cheese sauce.

I did learn that chicken brother makes a creamier sauce though, so not a total loss.
    There was once a huge debate of nacho cheese Vs. cookies in this forum at one time.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

People are the product of their experiences.

Going back and retroactively adding additional experiences would change me.

Again, assuming that the two different pasts don't branch into mutually exclusive futures. Like I said, if my family hadn't been crewed by the bank we wouldn't be having this conversation.

the best case scenario is that there would be me and another person with a past identical to my own up to the age of... 4ish.

The worst case scenario is that the contradictory past would drive me bat**** insane.

From my own experience this isn't true, without anti-depressants I was a melancholy nice guy, with anti-depressants I became a belligerent jerk.

I was a different person with the same memories.

In another case while taking his meds a friend's husband was a loving nice guy, off them he became a monster.

Same memories.

In regards to the memory problem of immortality... I do believe that the current theory is that memory is infintly compressible. Once you memorize something, you never forget it, you just need the right trigger to bring it out.

But, since it's being compressed, it might not be 100% accurate.

Also, very time you remember something it's like making a copy of a data file and then replacing the original with the copy, so if something goes wrong during the copy...

Those are the current theories, as far as I am aware.

So it's not that you'll inevitably stop memorizing things or start forgetting things as you experience new things, it's just... Eh.

But yeah, that is a flaw that would need to be worked on in order to be truly immortal.

In my experience some of the memories made, music listened to, movies seen, books read, etc., from when I was roughly 15 to 25 old are "sharp" and easily accessible, the other 43 years of my life are "fuzzy" and are not.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

17. - Top - End - #47

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    From my own experience this isn't true, without anti-depressants I was a melancholy nice guy, with anti-depressants I became a belligerent jerk.

I was a different person with the same memories.

In another case while taking his meds a friend's husband was a loving nice guy, off them he became a monster.

Same memories.
    That is a completely separate issue. The fact that your behavior changes when you are taking mind-effecting pharmaceuticals, in this case medication, meant to alter your brain chemistry in the hopes of correcting an imbalance leading to excessive and inappropriate depression, has no bearing on whether changing previous experiences that have already happened would change who someone is.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

My first pickles are in the fridge!

I expect these ones to fail, I'm experimemting here and think I might have too much pickles to brine. But I'll keep an eye on them and if they turn out bad I'll throw them and start again with less in the jars.

Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I expect these ones to fail, I'm experimemting here and think I might have too much pickles to brine. But I'll keep an eye on them and if they turn out bad I'll throw them and start again with less in the jars.
    Sweet.

So anyway I'm enjoying my four days weekend because I'm no longer working on Mondays. I woke up at noon, took a shower, watching TV, and relax. Later tonight I'm going to work with my upper body.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-07-19 at 03:59 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Mmmm. Pickles are very good, so I wish you luck with these!
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

21. - Top - End - #51

I like me a nice dill pickle. Preferably kosher, but polish is fine too.

Once made the mistake of picking up some "zesty dill" pickles. Delicious, but painful.

Like, I was crying in pain but physically could not stop myself from eating them.

Sweet pickles and bread and butter pickles are the work of an enemy stand.

I also really want to try making pickled beats at somepoint.
    Unrelated: I went back and watched TeamFourStar's playthrough of Metal Gear Solid 3. I skipped it a few years ago because they never uploaded the first recording to youtube and at the time my computer wasn't playing nice with twitch VODs but I got curious and checked and they did eventually put it back up.

After finding the box, they have Snake call their tech guy and he goes on a rant about how safe and at peace he feels in the box...

I have never related more to a fictional character.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I return for my Youtube break and all my supporters and haters missed me.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

About a two weeks ago I posted I was getting the guys together for basketball, that unfortunately fell through, but I finally managed to get a game together tonight. I know you all were waiting in anticipation for the results, so I’ll just tell you all not to worry; despite the long hiatus my silky smooth jump shot has not yet abandoned me.

For real though, it was nice to get back out there. It’s a lot tougher to get people together now that we are in our 20s. One of the downsides of being an adult I guess. Not having to go for a jog was also a plus, I hate jogging.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    Not having to go for a jog was also a plus, I hate jogging.
    I hope you still did some warmups.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

25. - Top - End - #55

Anyone else have a food that they really like... But you keep forgetting you like it?

Every couple of months I'll eat a banana because there's nothing else to snack on and then "Oh, right, these things are delicious. Why don't I eat these more often?" pops into my head and then...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else have a food that they really like... But you keep forgetting you like it?

Every couple of months I'll eat a banana because there's nothing else to snack on and then "Oh, right, these things are delicious. Why don't I eat these more often?" pops into my head and then...
    Apples.

I tend not to eat them, but once in a while I taste them and go "ooooh, nice". The sentiment is then promptly forgotten.
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember hearing somewhere that it''s possible for fish to drown, but only if they're saltwater fish.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I remember hearing somewhere that it''s possible for fish to drown, but only if they're saltwater fish.
    Any fish can drown, but it's probably pretty unlikely for most. I know Great White Sharks and some other species need to constantly move for their gills to extract oxygen so they can be drowned deliberately.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Any fish can drown, but it's probably pretty unlikely for most. I know Great White Sharks and some other species need to constantly move for their gills to extract oxygen so they can be drowned deliberately.
    From the sound of what you described, that's not drowning (though it is suffocation.)

Drowning is chemical suffocation from too much water, or from that water being in the wrong place. It is not merely suffocation while coincidentally underwater at the time.

EDIT: Apparently, fish can't drown at all. Saltwater fish forcibly placed in freshwater apparently undergo a form of death similar to frostbite.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-07-21 at 06:45 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #60

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    From the sound of what you described, that's not drowning (though it is suffocation.)

Drowning is chemical suffocation from too much water, or from that water being in the wrong place. It is not merely suffocation while coincidentally underwater at the time.

EDIT: Apparently, fish can't drown at all. Saltwater fish forcibly placed in freshwater apparently undergo a form of death similar to frostbite.
    At this point we're getting into needless pedantry; for all intents and purposes, fish can drown. Does it matter much if the exact same process as non-fish drowning is used? In my opinion, it does not. YMMV.